Stuck and need taper advice
    Scnf17 is offline New Member

Default Stuck and need taper advice

I am a 35 year old male with anxiety and depression issues. I was treated with all ssri's with mixed results, but then was put on klonopin 4 years ago at 1.25mg per day. Things were fine until I had some pain issues and was prescribed 7.5mg hydrocodone pills to take every 4-6 hours. Well the pain went on for two years and has since become very manageable. Needless to say I am now stuck on the hydro at 3 pills per day. I have tried to taper before but i did abuse them every month when I got my new supply. I even got ultram prescribed to get me through the last days when I don't have enough hydro. I take two 50mg ultram per day as well. I would like to stop the pain Meds as I need the klonopin for now, but when I taper my anxiety goes through the roof and I get nauseous and actually more constipated when I taper??? Maybe that's my anxiety. I want off so bad and my wife doles my pills out so abuse is over I need off but I need to be functional as I have a 1 year old and am a high school math teacher. Can anyone help me with advice? CT is not an option as I don't get time off school plus I need to not spiral into a depression with too fast of a taper. Thanks to all of you.. These forums are amazing.

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scnf17 View Post
    I am a 35 year old male with anxiety and depression issues. I was treated with all ssri's with mixed results, but then was put on klonopin 4 years ago at 1.25mg per day. Things were fine until I had some pain issues and was prescribed 7.5mg hydrocodone pills to take every 4-6 hours. Well the pain went on for two years and has since become very manageable. Needless to say I am now stuck on the hydro at 3 pills per day. I have tried to taper before but i did abuse them every month when I got my new supply. I even got ultram prescribed to get me through the last days when I don't have enough hydro. I take two 50mg ultram per day as well. I would like to stop the pain Meds as I need the klonopin for now, but when I taper my anxiety goes through the roof and I get nauseous and actually more constipated when I taper??? Maybe that's my anxiety. I want off so bad and my wife doles my pills out so abuse is over I need off but I need to be functional as I have a 1 year old and am a high school math teacher. Can anyone help me with advice? CT is not an option as I don't get time off school plus I need to not spiral into a depression with too fast of a taper. Thanks to all of you.. These forums are amazing.
    Hello Scnf, welcome to the forum. The most successful taper schedule that I know of is a 10% reduction every 5 days or so? You can and will have to cut the tabs which will be necessary for correct dosing. Slow and steady wins the race! The slower the taper the better chance that you will have little to no withdrawals? I tapered off oxycodone last fall but I went too fast so I was in a constant state of mild withdrawals. I tapered all the way down to 1.25mg/day before I jumped! It takes a lot of discipline to taper, I believe you can do it but "take it slow"! Keep us updated? Best of luck. Take care... God bless us all!

Anonymous Guest

Congratulations on deciding to get off the pain killers. That's awesome and you will defiantly get the help you need from these great people.

I can't help you much with a taper. What I can say is I've recently got clean myself. I was taking 30 mg + of oxycodone. I didn't do a taper I just quit cold turkey. And it wasn't horrible. Yes it was tough. I've cold turkeyed from 100 mg of hydrocodone and that was pretty bad. This was nothing compared to that. Maybe because I was better prepared. You and me both were on a pretty small dose so my 2 cents would be just to stop. I don't think tapering down would be a whole lot better. The withdraw from 10 mg verses 22 mg isn't going to be that drastic. Like I said just my opinion scnf17.

Again, congratulations on making this choice. You don't want too keep digging this hole.

ItsPossible is offline Member

Hey there,
    Welcome aboard! Lots of great advice and support here.
    I also work in schools so I know how much you are relied on. My 2 cents would be if you want to taper then try but it is very difficult and you are prolonging the withdrawal. However, it does help you prepare mentally for what you are about to do.... gain control of your life back.
    When you are ready to stop taking them altogether maybe your last day could be a wednesday or thursday night. Day 1 isn't all that bad and being at work may help distract you. It will feel like you are coming down with the flu and that is not uncommon.
    By Monday it will be your day 5 and this has always been my rebirth day, but everyone is different. If you still don't feel well then you can make that call and say you are still not feeling good, which you weren't, on Thursday or Friday.
    Tapering does help lessen the symptoms a little, but not enough for me to put my mind and body through the extra stress.
    I am glad your wife is supportive but would you ever consider getting professional help like addiction counselling to begin this journey, or even AA/NA meetings can be so inspiring.
    Keep posting as you go along to record this journey so you have a reminder of what you went through to get your life back on track.
    Gather the ingredients from the Thomas Recipe... most importantly the vitamins. Begin those right away, especially to help with mood.
    I also suffer from depression and it became much worse the longer I used opiates.
    Love and light,
    Kim xxoo