Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ming23
Suboxone not working for pain? Suggestions, anyone?
    Wifeofchronicpain is offline New Member

Default Suboxone not working for pain? Suggestions, anyone?

Hi everyone. I'm wondering what YOUR advice would be in this. My husband just got switched in-hospital off his OxyContin/Percocet pain meds to Suboxone, ¼ of the 8mg films every 6 hours. Bad experience for the WD symptoms (REALLY bad anger, paranoia, agitation, figgeting until they gave him the shot of buprenorphine), but now the suboxone isn't really helping with pain, and he can't sleep worth beans. (it's also only been 1 day/night on it)

His pain level normally on the previous meds was 7/8 most of the time, and it was a solid 7 on the amount of Suboxone yesterday. He also was down in his wood shop for a LONG time yesterday, and of course you can't take anything for breakthrough pain. *sigh* bad timing.

He's not really willing to go back to the Suboxone (had a bad experience in the past from a doc who did not explain how the med worked and how to take it properly - waiting a period after the hydrocodone before starting, although it was not an addiction issue at all at that point, just bad bad pain issues). So yeah.

What do you suggest now? He wants to try the spinal stimulator, but that requires 3 months of no or nearly no narcotics. I don't know if he'd be willing to try methadone maybe.... But he wants to go with "something he knows will work"... I'm not sure if he's ready to quit the pain meds. He was in a lot of legitimate pain when he started, and I can see him still being in a lot of pain considering his circumstances. But, I think he was in hyperalgesia with being on such a high dose for so long.

Any suggestions would help!

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wifeofchronicpain View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm wondering what YOUR advice would be in this. My husband just got switched in-hospital off his OxyContin/Percocet pain meds to Suboxone, ¼ of the 8mg films every 6 hours. Bad experience for the WD symptoms (REALLY bad anger, paranoia, agitation, figgeting until they gave him the shot of buprenorphine), but now the suboxone isn't really helping with pain, and he can't sleep worth beans. (it's also only been 1 day/night on it)

His pain level normally on the previous meds was 7/8 most of the time, and it was a solid 7 on the amount of Suboxone yesterday. He also was down in his wood shop for a LONG time yesterday, and of course you can't take anything for breakthrough pain. *sigh* bad timing.

He's not really willing to go back to the Suboxone (had a bad experience in the past from a doc who did not explain how the med worked and how to take it properly - waiting a period after the hydrocodone before starting, although it was not an addiction issue at all at that point, just bad bad pain issues). So yeah.

What do you suggest now? He wants to try the spinal stimulator, but that requires 3 months of no or nearly no narcotics. I don't know if he'd be willing to try methadone maybe.... But he wants to go with "something he knows will work"... I'm not sure if he's ready to quit the pain meds. He was in a lot of legitimate pain when he started, and I can see him still being in a lot of pain considering his circumstances. But, I think he was in hyperalgesia with being on such a high dose for so long.

Any suggestions would help!
    Wife!
    Methadone will not work. All it will do is turn your husband into a zombie. None of the pain meds work after a certain point. You may have noticed an increase in dosage over time.
    Change in lifestyle does work however. But the decision is your husband's and it doesn't sound like he wants to quit yet. You said they switched him to subs in hospital. Then you said he's not willing to take subs. So is he still on oxys?
    I hope you get your wish for a happy and healthy husband in the new year.
    Many of us have chronic pain as well. Some more than others. But we all feel better OFF the drugs than on them. Truth
    Autumnhopes likes this.