• 1 Post By Cristoff
  • 2 Post By Catrina
  • 2 Post By DravenDomnq
  • 3 Post By Randy35
  • 2 Post By Catrina
Suboxone taper from 1mg
    Cristoff is offline New Member

Default Suboxone taper from 1mg

Recently my suboxone Doctor retired his patients, (including me) and left me with 2 prescription refills. I've been on steady doses of Suboxone for the last year; longer counting inconsistencies in my dosing. My doses became regular, and maintained once I began working a program (AA mostly), and living in an outpatient environment; I moved into a 3 quarter house and am now in a room that I rent.

I started at 16MG of suboxone, and throughout the last year I've tapered to 1mg. Today was my first day on 1MG and plan on stabilizing before I consider tapering again. Everything is open for discussion, and I'd be thankful for any advice given.

It's important to note that I work a decent program, live right next to a fellowship and maintain contact with my sponsor. My physical ailments (wds) aren't much of a concern today as I realize they are temporary, but still would like to minimize the discomfort. To sum it up, my question is about tapering from 1mg-methods that have worked for you. Thank you in advance.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cristoff View Post
    Recently my suboxone Doctor retired his patients, (including me) and left me with 2 prescription refills. I've been on steady doses of Suboxone for the last year; longer counting inconsistencies in my dosing. My doses became regular, and maintained once I began working a program (AA mostly), and living in an outpatient environment; I moved into a 3 quarter house and am now in a room that I rent.

I started at 16MG of suboxone, and throughout the last year I've tapered to 1mg. Today was my first day on 1MG and plan on stabilizing before I consider tapering again. Everything is open for discussion, and I'd be thankful for any advice given.

It's important to note that I work a decent program, live right next to a fellowship and maintain contact with my sponsor. My physical ailments (wds) aren't much of a concern today as I realize they are temporary, but still would like to minimize the discomfort. To sum it up, my question is about tapering from 1mg-methods that have worked for you. Thank you in advance.
    Welcome!

Sometimes things happen for a reason. You are down to 1mg per day and your doctor left you with two refills. You should have plenty to taper off completely with what you have access to following the plan used here and used very successfully. Have you posted here before? Your name looks familiar.

If you are new and are not familiar with Robert's Sub Taper Plan that is used here, look for it and read it carefully. You obviously can skip over the induction part because you've been taking them for some time now. You said that today was your first day at 1mg. What was your dose before this reduction? The plan used here recommends making reductions of no more than 25%. You should stay at each dose for at least 4 days before you attempt another reduction. Especially once you get to low doses like you are now, it can take a day or two longer at some doses before you are ready to reduce again. The key is to be absolutely stable (no symptoms) before you reduce. Once your dose is at or less than .25mg/day you can do the skip days or jump. I find that most people do at least one or two more reductions down to around .125/day and then either skip days or jump. Read the plan and this will all make more sense but ask questions if you have them.

If you do the math here, you'll see that you should have plenty of subs left to complete your taper and be done. Best of luck to you and Welcome again. Keep posting!

Peace,

Cat
    DravenDomnq and Rachelle1stbb like this.

Rachelle1stbb is offline Member

Hi Cristoff, I'm new here as well and am also doing a taper with Subutex. Im using Roberts taper plan as Cat had mentioned. It seems to be used by so many people and successfully! I am currently on my 3rd day of 1.5mg and trying to get myself stable at this dose before I do another reduction. Cat is extremely helpful and so knowledgeable in regards to all of this, she has already helped me immensely. Keep us updated on how you're doing!

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    Welcome!

Sometimes things happen for a reason. You are down to 1mg per day and your doctor left you with two refills. You should have plenty to taper off completely with what you have access to following the plan used here and used very successfully. Have you posted here before? Your name looks familiar.

If you are new and are not familiar with Robert's Sub Taper Plan that is used here, look for it and read it carefully. You obviously can skip over the induction part because you've been taking them for some time now. You said that today was your first day at 1mg. What was your dose before this reduction? The plan used here recommends making reductions of no more than 25%. You should stay at each dose for at least 4 days before you attempt another reduction. Especially once you get to low doses like you are now, it can take a day or two longer at some doses before you are ready to reduce again. The key is to be absolutely stable (no symptoms) before you reduce. Once your dose is at or less than .25mg/day you can do the skip days or jump. I find that most people do at least one or two more reductions down to around .125/day and then either skip days or jump. Read the plan and this will all make more sense but ask questions if you have them.

If you do the math here, you'll see that you should have plenty of subs left to complete your taper and be done. Best of luck to you and Welcome again. Keep posting!

Peace,

Cat
    Nope, that was my first time posting on this site, and thank you for replying. I had been on 2mg for about 2 months or so. It's funny you mention things happening for a reason. My doctor retiring was obvious as he'd been slowly shutting things down, and he moved and was commuting to check on us.

Once he made the decision it just seemed like a perfect time, and I'm looking at it as an opportunity to grow with support available to me. I let my sponsor know what's up, posted here, and if I need more support I can contact my counselor or even my doctor via email.

Do you have a link for Robert's taper plan?

Thank you Rachelle, I will update throughout my tapering experience.
    MLC22 likes this.

Nope, that was my first time posting on this site, and thank you for replying. I had been on 2mg for about 2 months or so. It's funny you mention things happening for a reason. My doctor retiring was obvious as he'd been slowly shutting things down, and he moved and was commuting to check on us.

Once he made the decision it just seemed like a perfect time, and I'm looking at it as an opportunity to grow with support available to me. I let my sponsor know what's up, posted here, and if I need more support I can contact my counselor or even my doctor via email.

Do you have a link for Robert's taper plan?
    Good Morning,

I just spent some time searching for the link for Robert's Sub Taper Plan. Finding these things aren't one of my strong points. I'll look more a little later but in the meantime, maybe Ricky or Randy will come along. They are so much better at this stuff than me!

Thanks for clarifying how you got yourself to 1mg. Dropping from 2mg to 1 mg in one reduction is too much. That's a 50% drop. Today is your Day 2 at that dose and you may feel it beginning to catch up with you. It's really important to be careful in the size of your reductions. If they are too large (and 50% is too large) you'll suffer unnecessarily and it will take you much longer to stabilize--the single most important thing before you attempt a reduction.

You can see how this goes but I would suggest that you do your dose at 1.5mg which is the 25% reduction from 2mg. Stay put right there for at least 4 days. You may feel some minor symptoms and then will stabilize. DO NOT REDUCE until your symptoms are gone or they will follow you the rest of the way down making this harder. You're going to do well if you follow the plan. You may even find as you get lower and lower that 25% reductions are too much and there may be some reductions that you'll want/need to reduce less. That's OK.

That 25% is calculated on your current dose. So, 25% of 2 is 1.5 where you should be now. When you stabilize, you would reduce by 25% of 1.5 (.37). You can round to make cutting your dose a bit easier because these fractions can get kinda crazy. If you reduce from 1.5 to 1.25 that'll work. Next would be 25% of 1.25 or another .25mg to 1mg. And so it goes. If you need help with the calculations or any questions just ask. I will keep trying to find that link though and I know others will be around and hopefully if I haven't found it, someone else will for you.

You are well into your recovery work and you're going to do great. You've been at this a long time so don't rush it now. Take your time and follow the method I've tried to explain and you won't have a hard time finishing off. When you get to .25mg/day or lower, you can begin skip days or jump. Many reduce even further to .125 and then do some skip days or jump. The lower you can get, the easier time you'll have at the end. Don't worry about that now. Stick around here and there are plenty of folks who will help you through the end of this.

Peace,

Cat
    DravenDomnq and Lvg nghtmare like this.

DravenDomnq is offline Advanced Member

Hey Cristoff, welcome to the forums! I found a link to Robert's Sub Taper Plan that Catrina is talking about, and am including it in this post for you. Hope you have a great day today, and are well!!

https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...apy-66109.html
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-05-2017 at 08:18 AM.
    Lvg nghtmare and Catrina like this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Hey Cristoff -

I was getting ready to post the link to the sub plan and Draven beat me to it! Thanks Draven.

The sub plan mentioned has worked for thousands of members. Many don;t stick around top ost any longer, but they are there I assure you. As Cat mentioned you don;t want to reduce any dose until you're stable on the current dose. That's very important. Equally as important is taking your dose at the same time each day. That keeps the sub level in your system which will helo you feel your best.

Just a thought, but what I did when my dose was down to 2-3mg per day was to reduce each dose by .25mg (1/4 of 1mg) instead of 25%. For me that worked great. I didn't have to worry about crazy fractions of doses. Once I was down to .25mg I made the decision to reduce once more to .125mg and after a few days there made my jump. The lower you go before jumping the better the chance of having very few, if any symptoms at the end. Either way, the 25% reductions or .25mg reductions will get the job done.

The day skipping at the end works like this - Whatever your final dose is, say .25mg, you take that dose for at least 4 days then skip dosing the next day. Dose again and skip 2 days, dose again and skip 3 days, dose one final time and you're finsished. The day skipping allows the long half life of subs to catch up with itself.

Hope this helps and I wish you the very best!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by DravenDomnq View Post
    Hey Cristoff, welcome to the forums! I found a link to Robert's Sub Taper Plan that Catrina is talking about, and am including it in this post for you. Hope you have a great day today, and are well!!

https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...apy-66109.html
    To the rescue!!! Thank you!!
    Lvg nghtmare and DravenDomnq like this.

Man oh man do I thank you all for such support.

@Cat: You're probably right about dropping 50%. My previous jumps have been by 2MG which percentage wise were far less substantial. I've already dosed at 1MG so at this point I'm just going to stick with it until it stabilizes -- i feel fine if I stay present and focus on my next task. My next jump will be according to Robert's Taper Plan, so no more 50% reductions haha.

@Randy: Thank you for your guidance. As for talking Suboxone, I take it every morning at the same time, it's become very routine at this point.

Just an update; I've maintained my 1mg dose and things are smooth sailing, hardly any discomfort nor any emotional vulnerabilities that typically arise during active tapering. After another few days I'm going to drop to .75mg - followed by stabilizing then continue the trend.

I'm excited at this point. Reading Robert's Tapering plan struck a chord; he mentions "Subs are just a tool to help us get clean. The people who end up STAYING clean would likely have done it with or without the subs". To emphasize the importance of a support group to myself, even 2 years ago, would've been in vain. I had no ability to conceive of a life differently than I had been living, and surely a foundation of support would be as stable as my tumultuous life at that point.

Conveying that fellowships--whichever one you fancy--give you a practical, and realistic way to approach life was impossible. My ears were closed. It wasn't until I was thrown into the environment that I began to understand what support really meant. No hidden costs. Withdrawals were the scariest thing in the world, especially because I was alone. Robert hits it on the head with, "Most of us who have survived our dependency and maintain a reasonable amount of clean time will agree it’s almost impossible to do this on our own and stay clean forever."

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Just an update; I've maintained my 1mg dose and things are smooth sailing, hardly any discomfort nor any emotional vulnerabilities that typically arise during active tapering. After another few days I'm going to drop to .75mg - followed by stabilizing then continue the trend.

I'm excited at this point. Reading Robert's Tapering plan struck a chord; he mentions "Subs are just a tool to help us get clean. The people who end up STAYING clean would likely have done it with or without the subs". To emphasize the importance of a support group to myself, even 2 years ago, would've been in vain. I had no ability to conceive of a life differently than I had been living, and surely a foundation of support would be as stable as my tumultuous life at that point.

Conveying that fellowships--whichever one you fancy--give you a practical, and realistic way to approach life was impossible. My ears were closed. It wasn't until I was thrown into the environment that I began to understand what support really meant. No hidden costs. Withdrawals were the scariest thing in the world, especially because I was alone. Robert hits it on the head with, "Most of us who have survived our dependency and maintain a reasonable amount of clean time will agree it’s almost impossible to do this on our own and stay clean forever."
    Just caught up on your thread, you've gotten some great advice by some great people! Follow Robert's plan and I'm sure you'll do just fine! Slow and steady wins the race! Keep us updated? Best of luck to you... God bless us all!