• 2 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By 10years39days
  • 2 Post By Droppinthepoppy
  • 1 Post By 10years39days
Suboxone - want off
    sarahsarahsarah is offline New Member

Default Suboxone - want off

Hi

I have been on Suboxone for a little over 10 years. I started out on 16mg a day, but have been on 1mg for the past 4 years. I’m ready to get off of it.

I’m on such a low dose, but still find it hard to cut down. Does everyone recommend cutting down by 25% until I start feeling okay and then cut down another 25%?

I’ve read so many posts with advice to other people in my situation over the past several years and this seems to be how everyone does it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Forceout is offline Member

Hello and Welcome!!!

I just want to say Hi and tell you the weekends can be a little slow. I have read a lot too about Subs but don't have personal experience.

Keep checking back because I know several people here know all about your situation and they will be by here to visit and advise. Great job getting down to 1mg. That's huge!!!

You have found the right place I can assure you!!

Forceout

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sarahsarahsarah View Post
    Hi

I have been on Suboxone for a little over 10 years. I started out on 16mg a day, but have been on 1mg for the past 4 years. I’m ready to get off of it.

I’m on such a low dose, but still find it hard to cut down. Does everyone recommend cutting down by 25% until I start feeling okay and then cut down another 25%?

I’ve read so many posts with advice to other people in my situation over the past several years and this seems to be how everyone does it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hello Sarah, Welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on getting down off such a very high dose of Suboxone. That was quite an accomplishment. You've been on the sub a very long time so you have some build up in your system due to the long half life of this drug. A slow and steady taper will allow some of that half life to dissipate. Yes, it's highly recommended you continue to taper until you're down to at least .25mg of sub daily. And you'll want to do that by reducing your doses by 25% every 4-7 days or so.

Right away you would reduce to .75mg daily. Remain on that dose for at least 4 days. At the end of that time if you'rte stable and feeling ok then reduce by 25% down to .5mg (rounded off) daily. After 4 days of feeling ok reduce by 25% down to .375mg daily. Then to .25mg per day.

At the end of 4 days if you're not feeling ok and are having some wd symptoms then you'll want to remain on that dose another day or two, or until you do become stable. Never reduce if not stable because symptoms will follow you all the way down in doses. Not what you want.

Once you get down to .25mg per day some decisions need to be made. You can jump from that dose, taper lower, or use a day skipping process where you dose and skip 1, 2, and 3 days before making the final jump. Because of the length of time you've been on the Suboxone the day skipping process would benefit you greatly.

Be sure to take the sub at the same time everyday. This will help your body to adjust to each dose and you'll feel better if you do.

Help is here for you, but it's important you continue to post updates regularly. Let us know how you're feeling everyday. If problems do arise we can head them off quickly if we know what's going on.

Glad you're here Sarah. Happy Holidays to you.

Randy

10years39days is offline Member

Sarah - congrats on your decision! I’m currently heading into Day 4 of my Suboxone jump from .13mg. I would take Randy and Forceout’s advice. There is a wealth of support on this forum. I would start the taper and make a goal of getting down to .25mg. After that there’s a decision that only you can make. It took me about two or three months to semi-comfortably taper from 2mg to .25mg, and then less than a week to get down to .13mg. There are quicker methods I’m sure.

I wish you the best.
    -10years
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

Droppinthepoppy is offline Junior Member

Being on the other side of the pain, I can tell you that I can’t believe I waited so long to do it. It is soooo worth it. During the minutes or hours or days that feel too hard to go on, remember that it usually feels unbearable just before it gets easier. That has been my experience. Keep telling us exactly how you are feeling and we will be there for you.

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Hey sarah. Welcome to the forum. Randy has given you some excellent advice moving forward. That taper plan has produced thousands of success stories and if you follow it you won't have any problems.

I found this site on day 11 of brutal suboxone w/d. Not knowing anything about the proper taper plan. I tampered myself from 16mg/day down to 1mg a day and thought I'd be good to go. But 1mg is still a hefty dose of subs. I would definitely recommend continuing with the taper. It will make for a softer landing when you jump.

Congratulations on getting to where you are. This will all be behind you soon. Keep us updated on your progress. Read and post as much as you want or need to. It helps!! Have a Merry Christmas /Happy Holidays!!

Welcome again to this great place!!
    Beef

sarahsarahsarah is offline New Member

I am about to cry after reading all of your replies. I have been really busy with my family and didn’t think anyone would have replied to me at this point. I am completely blown away by how thoughtful and caring each of your replies are. So, thank you - from the bottom of my heart!

Randy - thank you for taking the time to write everything that you did. So I’m looking at about 3-6 weeks of a taper, depending on how long each step takes me. That’s great information to know because I wasn’t really sure how long I should cut down each time. It’s very interesting that sub builds up in your system.

10years - congrats on day 4 on this step! How long have you been on Suboxone?

Droppin - what an amazing success story! That’s so amazing to hear. I’m sure everyone else has thought - “what is it like to not take Suboxone? How do other people get through the day without it?” - that’s how I currently feel - and I remember thinking that way when I was taking Vicodin. I was just ready to be off of it. It’s very encouraging to know that you were once in my shoes. Congrats and thank you for th advice and encouraging words

Beef - another amazing story. I am so happy that all of you shared your stories with me

So - a couple of questions.
    How long will the withdrawals last when you taper? Like how long will I feel like >>>> with each step down?
    What should I expect to feel like?

Merry Christmas everyone, thanks again for your replies

Quote Originally Posted by sarahsarahsarah View Post
    I am about to cry after reading all of your replies. I have been really busy with my family and didn’t think anyone would have replied to me at this point. I am completely blown away by how thoughtful and caring each of your replies are. So, thank you - from the bottom of my heart!

Randy - thank you for taking the time to write everything that you did. So I’m looking at about 3-6 weeks of a taper, depending on how long each step takes me. That’s great information to know because I wasn’t really sure how long I should cut down each time. It’s very interesting that sub builds up in your system.

10years - congrats on day 4 on this step! How long have you been on Suboxone?

Droppin - what an amazing success story! That’s so amazing to hear. I’m sure everyone else has thought - “what is it like to not take Suboxone? How do other people get through the day without it?” - that’s how I currently feel - and I remember thinking that way when I was taking Vicodin. I was just ready to be off of it. It’s very encouraging to know that you were once in my shoes. Congrats and thank you for th advice and encouraging words

Beef - another amazing story. I am so happy that all of you shared your stories with me

So - a couple of questions.
    How long will the withdrawals last when you taper? Like how long will I feel like >>>> with each step down?
    What should I expect to feel like?

Merry Christmas everyone, thanks again for your replies
    Thank you! Just like you, I was on Suboxone for a little over ten years. Additionally, prior to that I was using Percocet and Vicodin for several years. Suboxone played an important role in my recovery but now it’s time to say goodbye, for good.

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Morning Sarah. Merry Christmas. In my experience when I was tampering every jump I made I would feel "off" anywhere from 1-3 days. Then things would stabalize. It wasn't like a full blown w/d. But I'd have some stomach issues, anxiety, general blah feeling. Like getting over a bad cold that wasn't quite gone yet. Then after that I would take 2-3 days and move down, rinse and repeat. It's not terrible but from awhat i hear and read once you get down to 1mg that's when it gets a little rougher dosing once a day. Just know that you're stronger than this and you will be free of this drug soon. Soften that landing and keep on tampering girl!! It's rough but anything worthwhile is hard! Just keep a positive mindset and think about what's coming to you before the drugs. You can do this!! Keep us updated!! I can tell you that it's so much better than I could have ever hoped for. Can't wait for you to get here!!

Have a great Christmas!!
    Beef

Hey Sarah how are you doing? Keep posting and look for inspiration in this forum. I truly believe it helps.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.