Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By auburn girl
Suboxone Withdrawals & Tapering, anxiety
    GoingStrong2013 is offline New Member

Default Suboxone Withdrawals & Tapering, anxiety

I have been taking Suboxone for about 4 years. I did not plan on being on it this long, but it kinda happened that way. Bad or stressful things would happen ans >> put off the tapering process. But finally one day I woke up and literally just felt ready. It was an exciting day because I have been wanting for so long to get back drug free but haven't had the guts to do it. There is a lot of addiction in my family, mainly prescription drugs. We are all good hard working people, just as all or most addicts are-good things happen to good people!! I was on Lortab when younger and it honestly just got worse and worse overtime, got more and more tolerant to it and took a lot. It ruined a lot of things for me, especially the job I had. I've had a very hard time accepting my mistakes but I have come to accept myself as an addict & move on with my life. When I started Suboxone I was at 8mg per day and shortly after went to 6mg a day. Months later I went to 4mg a day and was on that dose until about 6 months ago. I honestly am a firm believer that Suboxone is a great drug. It helped me to feel normal without worrying about pills and withdrawals. When I started my taper I promised >> never go back to the doctor again. I had one prescription for #30 strips that I had not filled yet, and one that I had just filled, so I basically had about 55 to use for my taper. I tapered very slow. I so recommend that if you have the time, patience, and enough Medicine to do it. Obviously its recommended to taper under a doctor's supervision but I did it on my own. About every 3-4 weeks >> drop down 1mg. I did 3mg for 3 weeks, then 2mg for 4 weeks, 1mg for 4 weeks, then 0.75 for a while, 0.50, and I am now at about 0.3mg per day. My experience has been nearly painless so if you have read horror stories like me, don't listen to all that!!!! If you do it right, u will be fine. I would've done it faster but I cannot take off work or risk any missed days. Well now, at 0.30mg a day, it is starting to get a bit rough. Its bearable. The anxiety is the worst. I get nervous & anxious a lot. I feel like I am going backwards if I take a tiny corner, so the mental part for me is hard. Wen i exercise I feel better. Im having a bad time but im Going to get thru this. Any advice for the anxiety and neck pain, etc is very appreciated. To anyone else doing this, you can do it. It takes a while to get used to not being on much or anything but its possible. I was so used to being on something for so many years that I think that's why I have so much anxiety.

QuitiN5days is offline Banned

Keep up the good work! Sounds like you're definitely motivated and on the right track. Tapering slowly can be near impossible for some, but the only way for others. For me I have to taper fast. Especially with suboxone because it's half life is so long, it takes your body days to realize you've dropped the dose. I think you should google Kratom. It's a plant that is legal to order on line, and it was the only reason I was able to quit oxy's. I should mention that last year, I used Kratom to quit suboxone once I had tapered down to 1mg a day. So I think being at .3 is even more ideal. Do your research on it, it's a miracle plant. Reason it works is because it has some alkoloids that work like suboxone, in the sense that's it's an agonist, except it's not an opiate! Sounds too good to be true, but trust me, if been an addict since I was 15, currently 33. Going on 2 months sober now. Read my taper method, I think it could keep your motivation going. Your almost there already, each day gets better. Keep it up dude

auburn girl is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoingStrong2013 View Post
    I have been taking Suboxone for about 4 years. I did not plan on being on it this long, but it kinda happened that way. Bad or stressful things would happen ans >> put off the tapering process. But finally one day I woke up and literally just felt ready. It was an exciting day because I have been wanting for so long to get back drug free but haven't had the guts to do it. There is a lot of addiction in my family, mainly prescription drugs. We are all good hard working people, just as all or most addicts are-good things happen to good people!! I was on Lortab when younger and it honestly just got worse and worse overtime, got more and more tolerant to it and took a lot. It ruined a lot of things for me, especially the job I had. I've had a very hard time accepting my mistakes but I have come to accept myself as an addict & move on with my life. When I started Suboxone I was at 8mg per day and shortly after went to 6mg a day. Months later I went to 4mg a day and was on that dose until about 6 months ago. I honestly am a firm believer that Suboxone is a great drug. It helped me to feel normal without worrying about pills and withdrawals. When I started my taper I promised >> never go back to the doctor again. I had one prescription for #30 strips that I had not filled yet, and one that I had just filled, so I basically had about 55 to use for my taper. I tapered very slow. I so recommend that if you have the time, patience, and enough Medicine to do it. Obviously its recommended to taper under a doctor's supervision but I did it on my own. About every 3-4 weeks >> drop down 1mg. I did 3mg for 3 weeks, then 2mg for 4 weeks, 1mg for 4 weeks, then 0.75 for a while, 0.50, and I am now at about 0.3mg per day. My experience has been nearly painless so if you have read horror stories like me, don't listen to all that!!!! If you do it right, u will be fine. I would've done it faster but I cannot take off work or risk any missed days. Well now, at 0.30mg a day, it is starting to get a bit rough. Its bearable. The anxiety is the worst. I get nervous & anxious a lot. I feel like I am going backwards if I take a tiny corner, so the mental part for me is hard. Wen i exercise I feel better. Im having a bad time but im Going to get thru this. Any advice for the anxiety and neck pain, etc is very appreciated. To anyone else doing this, you can do it. It takes a while to get used to not being on much or anything but its possible. I was so used to being on something for so many years that I think that's why I have so much anxiety.
    Hi there, goingstong. Congrats on being ready to get off the suboxone. You are absolutely right, when you're ready to be off, you just KNOW you're ready. I also was on subs for many many years. I am now 6 days sub free, and feeling better every day. I tapered down with very little wd symptoms and never had to take a day off of work. I got myself down to 1mg, then used the taper plan a lot of us use here. I will post the plan for you at the end and you can read over it. I got down to .25, then did 3 days of .125, then just quit. As far as the anxiety is concerned, I have heard of people using supplements such as valerian root, and L-theanine. You can find them on the vitamin aisle. Plenty of water, and exercise, which I see you have been doing. I exercised my whole taper and I truly believe it helped. I also take a good multi vitamin and a B-complex vitamin.

There is actually a suboxone sub-forum here you should check out. Lots of threads with good information in it and you will see that a lot of us have jumped off successfully. It was a life saver for me to read those stories. If you go to the "general discussion boards", I think you will find the suboxone board there.

You seem to have a very positive attitude and to be ready to do this! Stay strong...it's really not that bad.

Link to taper: https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

Thank you so so much! I appreciate the advice. No one really besides my sister knows what I am going thru and trying to tough it out alone is so rough. Thank God for this site. Feels to good to get it out and talk to others. Good for you, u are going really strong! U motivate me to keep pushing. Ur doing great.

Dear QuitiN, thank u so very much! I will definitely do some research on the Kratom. I will take any help I can get. I have been an addict for a long time too, I guess about 10 yrs. Two months sober that is amazing! Way to go!! I cannot wait until I can say that. I look forward to not relying on any meds anymore. Thanks again.

Linz09 is offline New Member

I'm having the same issue with tapering off suboxone. In 2010 after I had my son I got hooked on opiates and it went from Lortab to Opanas very quickly. On December 27, 2011 I enrolled in the methadone clinic and was on 105mg for 26 months and I decided I wanted out of there so I detoxed out from 105-0 this past February. I lasted 9 days of the horrific withdrawals and got Into a suboxone doctor where he put me on 12mg a day. One strip of a morning and a half at night but I have never taken my recommended dose because I've always read that less is more with suboxone. I only take one quarter a day (2mg) and am perfectly comfortable at this dose but I want to start kicking that. I want my old life back. I wasn't a longterm drug user but I did use hard for 18 months. Never an IV user just nasally. Kicking the methadone was the hardest thing I've ever done and I'm terrified that coming off of the 2mg of suboxone is going to be just as bad. If anyone has any advice, I will gladly take it and appreciate it. Thanks everyone

Hello Linz09. I'm sorry it took me awhile to post I have not gotten on in a few weeks I do have an update though. When I last posted I believe I was at 0.3 milligrams per day now I am at about 0.1875 or close to it I somehow got down to 0.25 and 4 days ago I decided I wanted to go down a tiny bit more so I would cut the 0.125 in half and take that in the evening. let me tell you this I want to encourage you and anyone else that is reading this that it will get better! I was losing hope with the withdrawal symptoms bad anxiety, nausea, neck pain and so much more terrible stuff. But the lower you go in my opinion at least, the better it gets. Me being at 0.1875 I feel great. drink lots and lots of water. I was a heavy soda drinker before and I drink about 1 per week now; I exercise about 3 days a week and drink lots of water its like I feel like my body is just healthier and I just feel better. you will get to that point , don't give up.It can get very discouraging especially when you don't really have people to talk to but when you reach that day when you feel normal without it and you even forget to take it you will be so happy. When I was at 2mg per day, I'd do 1.5mg for 1 week. Then if I felt ok >> go to 1mg for 2 weeks and so on. Lots of people recommend going fast, it depends on the person. I was TERRIFIED of the withdrawals and have job and school I could not miss so I chose to go slow and I am very glad I did that. My taper has been about 8 months long but so worth it. I am almost done. If you are like me, take baby steps. Try 1.5mg x 1 week and see how u feel. Please continue to write. I needed someone SO BAD and didn't reach out on here until recently. I will give any advice and tips I can.

Another thing is, I have never really been much into exercising. But I read and read and read that people said exercise makes the process so much easier. Force yourself to exercise. Even if you just do like 30 squats and 30 push ups a day, it really helps. Sweat a little! Somehow it helps to repair the receptors in your brain with the natural endorphins, not much knowledge in that area . All I know is it really works for me!! And quit one thing at a time dont be too hard on yourself. If you smoke cigarettes and want to quit, maybe tackle the subs first. Don't pressure yourself too much. The anxiety thank goodness has almost completely gone away for me.You just have to get used to being on nothing again. It takes time. I keep busy. Exercising motivates me, and ill think of happy things and look forward to things and it keeps my mind busy. Sounds crazy but im serious. Get your nails done or your hair. Or even just something you love to do, do something for yourself sometimes.