Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Stacysgarden
  • 1 Post By GiantNY
  • 1 Post By keepthechange11
Support and Accountability help needed for CT off oxycodone
    keepthechange11 is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb Support and Accountability help needed for CT off oxycodone

Hi all,
    I've been on 50mg (some weeks it would be up to 60-70mg) oxycodone for chronic pain for the past 3 years. I've decided that I cannot live the life that I so badly want, need and deserve while I'm taking this medication. I know that I am not an addict, mentally or emotionally speaking, but that I AM physically dependent. I've been too nervous to go the CT route because of the demands of my life. I'm a single parent and business owner, so I've been nervous about carving out the time to take a week(ish) off. Well...I just so happen to have about 5 days completely open next week, so the time is now! I'm attempting to taper down as well as I can for the rest of this week, with Saturday 8/15 being D-Day. I plan to take my last pill EVER on the evening of the 15th. I plan on cancelling my monthly appointment that is set for the 19th and informing the doctor that I am no longer interested in prescriptions.
    I could really use some help, support and advice, moving forward.
    (FYI- I've looked into the Thomas method but am not interested in more prescriptions). I do have essential oils and high quality vitamins and supplements. I also have Tylenol PM, several holistic sleep aids and epsom salts for baths.
    If there is anyone willing to be my accountability friend, I would so greatly appreciate it! I'll probably be on here once or twice a day until my start date...at which point, I'll probably be on my laptop nonstop!!
    If anyone else has been in a similar situation, I would love to hear from you. Dos, Dont's, expectations, etc. THANK YOU!

GoinDownSlow is offline New Member

Hello,
    how are you getting on? Im currently going through withdrawals now & i know how horrific it is.Most of my oxy W/Ds have now gone & its another painkiller i was on at the same time thats dragging my W/D out.The main symptoms of my oxy withdrawal were in the first 3-4 days.I didn't just stop Oxycontin,i tapered down & down over the course of 1 week.

I know its not ideal,but i was given some sleeping tablets a couple of weeks ago and my plan was to sedate myself to sleep every time i had an urge to use or felt some withdrawal kicking in,and it worked.Whenever i got in bed the symptoms REALLY kicked in.If you have free days then now is your chance to do what you need to do to free yourself from it.

I could barely move ,so i had to keep my mind very busy,watching documentaries,listening to podcasts etc.The more occupied the mind,the better.It is very daunting - but you can do it.Good luck

Hi GDS, thank you for responding! I'm doing ok. Just past the 48 hour mark. Last night I slept about 2 hours out of the 10 total I was in bed. Didn't do jack today! Sat my butt on the couch and watched a ton of shows ondemand. Probably doing the same tomorrow. The worst has been the exhaustion and insomnia. Twitching legs aren't fun either. Hopefully i sleep tonight after doubling up on advil pm AND unisom AND melatonin. Can you tell i reeeeeally want to sleep?! What day are you on?

Day 8 of Oxys but I'm still tapering tramadol.Was hoping i could jump off but the withdrawal is too severe,with the restless legs & sweats.Hopefully another 3 days & i'll be down to zero

The twitching legs are a killer.I did know a guy who bought one of those electronic muscle stimulator things people use to tone up .Stuck the pads on his legs and he said it did help block some of the twitching.

and congrats on 48 hours ! You've done the hardest bit

awesome, day 8 for you! I'm officailly on Day 3. Coming up on 72 hours soon. Exhausted as possibe, major fatigue, headachey and lethargic. I forced myself to walk 2 miles today and felt so dizzy, I had to stop. Hoping tomorrow is a better day. I think they Hyland's homeopathic formula for RLS reeeeally helped because I took it last night and didn't have any RLS. Slept fairly well!

Thats good - walking is the only thing that ive been able to do.I was forced into walking because I'm having to house sit a friends home while the occupants are away - just going there & checking all is ok.Typical luck that they asked me could i do it on the very week i started withdrawing.Its a fairly long walk,but its been a blessing in disguise ,has shaken my bad routine & helped with restless legs.I swear i could have won some sort of river dance competition the other night.Stick with the walking if you can.

I'll check that Hyland formula & see if anything similar is available in the UK.Do you get Nytol over there? they've been helping me at night time

( passes you a day 3 award )

Haha! That river dance bit had me laughing! Well...it's 4:45am and I've been wide awake since I went to bed at midnight. Almost 5 full hours of staring at the ceiling. The previous night I slept in 2 blocks of 4-5 hours EACH! So I'm hating that this night I'm getting zero. I suppose this is pretty common for the first week or two.
    I've not heard of Nitol, unless it's Nyquil? Cold/Flu sleep med? I've been taking AdvilPM, melatonin AND unisom (an OTC sleep medicine ) and none of it is helping tonight. No other symptoms at night, other than insomnia. My primary daytime symptoms are ridiculous exhaustion and headache. Not enough to convince me that pills would help, though. It's funny how my brain has literally just been turned off by that idea. Just need to put in this torture time until I can get back into shape.
    What part of the UK?

Stacysgarden is offline New Member

Just wanted to give you guys a bit of encouragement, what you are enduring is so impressive, it is no easy feat to just jump off the PK alone CT, when others I know have done it, they claim hot showers all the time help with the legs and those jolts of pain that run through parts of your body. As far as the energy, which I know is awful in WD, get yourself some L-Tyrosine and take it morning and afternoon, I have been taking it on the sub with my very little energy at first and it made a huge difference. I got stuff from NOW supplements called Thyroid Energy - has b-6 b-12 iodine (helps thyroid work properly) - zinc - especially helpful in boosting immunity, selenium , copper, tyrosine 1,000 , guggul - an ayurvedic medicine that helps with inflammation, (could help with the legs) , and ashwaganda, which is very important for boosting immunity - combats stress, depression, eneergy, sexual function , and some compare it to a natural ativan or anti-anxiety natural med... I believe it would help with repairing our neurons to accept dopamine naturally again. - I worked many years for a well known nutritionist/healer and really believe in the power of supplemental nutrition.
    I am currently dealing with my own battle, just wanted to offer some of what has helped me so far. Plus the people on here are a wealth of knowledge and I trust their opinions so much more than the dr's which have NEVER been through this so have no idea what it really feels like. (I know, I know, not their fault I am an addict)
    I don't know if it is okay or not, but I have been taking a benedryl on nights I can't sleep and that really helps to knock me out, other nights I drink the sleepytime tea extra with valerian root in it, that really does the trick. Valerian Root and Lemon Balm have very relaxing properties.

You are doing great- and you are stronger than this, will have your life back, and you deserve it!!!

Thanks for the reply, Stacy!
    Ill have to pick up the L-Tyr. Ironically, I have a business in the nutrition field. I'll stop myself there So i have the best supplements that I've been taking every morning and evening. One is a natural energy booster with ashwaganda. I'm also taking essential oils around the clock.
    I SO WISH that benadryl would knock me out. Unfortunately, I've been taking 4 every night WITH double dose of melatonin and still nothing!! It's exhausting. My fatigue during the day is a 12 out of 10. I normally hit between 10-12,000 steps per day. I've only been making it to 3,500 the past few days! I absolutely hate this part of it.If i could get past the lethargy, I would feel so much better.

Stacysgarden is offline New Member

Hey There! How are you getting along today? I smiled so big when I read that you are in the nutrition field because SO AM I !!!!! it's so ironic, We have too much in common! I don't know about you, but I give the best advice and USED to walk the walk, until my little blue pills took over my life... anyhow, I have been doing TONS of research on Ashwagandha and it's effects on repairing neurological impairment- although I can't find that many studies on opiate use and how it has helped them post WD, or prior - I imagine it would be like a miracle, restoring homeostasis to the body and getting the neurons in tip top shape for making the leap .. I wish I had went the route of starting Ashw about 4 weeks before quitting and then gone CT rather than the sub route, eh, oh well too late for what-if now- and I guess I shouldn't just assume that if I were the guinea pig everything would have went oh so perfect, but can't help but wonder. I am on 400 mg 2x daily now. I have found the Xymogen brand of melatonin to be far superior than other brands, do you agree? or which one do you like? I am sorry you are so tired, but hang in there- you are an inspiration! Also, can I ask which essential oils you are using? I really want to get some myself. Do you strictly use young living or can you recommend another brand you like?
    Ok- now that I've wrote an essay I'll stop, just got excited about nutrition field. My boyfriend is on me to take some strong flora for my gut - he is a big advocate on the probiotics directly contributing to energy- maybe try that if you aren't already? I have some sac boulardii in fridge but was thinking of starting on some therbiotic complete (klaire/prothera) to flood my system and rebalance things, it's just so much to think about and I feel like if I start taking too much I might counter something else or not know what is actually helping the most. I hope you are feeling better, and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers... keep it up
    keepthechange11 likes this.

GiantNY is offline New Member

Hey guys. Hope you are both doing well. Keep us updated as to your statuses. All the best!
    keepthechange11 likes this.

Hi Stacy,
    In regards to brand of melatonin- I have tried a few brands and one of my local health stores has the best that I have found. It's combined with L-Theanin and Valerian. Another one that is pretty random that I've found to be effective is the Trader Joe's brand sleep formula. It's another combo supplement.
    For the EO's, I will ONLY use doTERRA brand. Much more effective, as they're sourced indiginously versus farmed (like YL). The quality doesn't even compare. I credit the EO's for getting me through the first week of going CT. Some helped with anxiety, some with sleep, some with gut discomfort. Their supplements are the only kind I can recommend on a professional level. I avoid most supplement and vitamin stores as most of the product is synthetic and/or formulas that I would never trust. dT has a probiotic that is fantastic. I would highly recommend it.
    Anyway, today is Day 14. Which is not as great as I thought it wouuld be. Still having sleep issues, still having problems with energy levels. I'm waiting for the moment where I can realize "oh THAT'S why i did this!" but it's yet to come. Not having issues with mood, so I'm glad for that. Just frustrated that things are not as clear and obvious as I thought.

Default Update

Guys. It's been a full month! Yesterday was officially Month 1 of being pain med free. I'm sleeping so well. As in, I take a melatonin and conk out about half hour later, stay asleep for a full 7-8 hours and feel ok in the morning. My energy is about 60%, so it's improving but still isn't 100%. Although, I'm fairly certain that's due to the disease I have and not the medication. Just wanted to post an update for anyone following. This is doable. It sucks. But it's doable!
    silverlining1 likes this.

silverlining1 is offline Senior Member

Awesome update, Keeping.....thanks for that. So glad you are hanging in and doing well. I know it is tough, but you are proof that we can come through and make it. Thanks, again.