Switching benzos while tapering Vicodin, help please! Life in danger?!
    highpotency is offline New Member

Default Switching benzos while tapering Vicodin, help please! Life in danger?!

Hello everyone,
    I'm in a bit of a struggle right now as I am currently tapering my Vicodin down from 10mg per day to 0. My problem is I have been taking xanax (.25-.5mg per day for 2 weeks) through this tapering process because I was having severe panic attacks and now I have almost run out of xanax. I have ativan and valium however, for when I do run out. My question is, if I make a quick switch from xanax to ativan for instance, while going to 5mg vicodin, will I be putting my body in trouble? I have read many people switching benzos instantly and having no issues, but not while taking Vicodin. Unfortunately this is leading to even more panic as I feel like I'm putting myself in jeopardy of dying. I do have a very high tolerance to opiates (abused for a while, easily took 40mg of oxy per day). Is there anybody out there that can direct me in a proper direction or shed light on their experiences? Will I be ok making this switch or will I OD from having a low dose opiate and 2 benzos in my system?
    Thanks,
    HP

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Look up a benzo equivalency chart. You are on a low dose of xanax and have only been on a short time. You should be able to switch quite easily, I believe that ativan is a 1:1 ratio, that a 5mg. valium= a 1mg. xanax. You need the equivalency chart to get roughly the same amount of benzo in your system. You are only on 10mg. of vicoden? How long? I don't know your history, but I think this is more mental for you.

What exactly is your opiate history? How long on the vike? Some of the anxiety is mental and there are other things you can do that are safer than benzos to get through this. You do not want to get hooked on benzos.

Exercise is key here. Drink plenty of water. A potassium supplement, magnesium/calcium, A good vitamin supplement. All these things will help. Take care and provide more info!

Peace,

Iloerose

Magnolia36 is offline Junior Member

I am not an expert or in healthcare, but I don't think you should be worried. I think if you search on the internet there is a moderate interaction, but you are taking small amounts of both. I would try to not take the benzo unless a panic attack occurs because your body may start getting dependent on them and also that will help if you are worried about the interaction. I am not sure about switching the type, but I don't think that should be an issue (again, especially with the small amount).

highpotency is offline New Member

Well thank you for the replies, I've been off and on pain killers (and worse opiates) for years, (extremely high tolerance) and have taken benzos to cope with the anxiety that I get while tapering down (because of extreme pain due to back injury). Unfortunately the only reason I am getting of Vicodin is they will no longer give me them :/ I was also on medical marijuana for 5 years, and quit that 2 weeks ago after using every single day so the anxiety hit hard along with tapering off Vicodin. Drugs are a never ending cycle it seems, yet I'm just looking forward to being completely off of everything and living a clean life. I've buried my back pain with all kinds of ways, but I've convinced myself that just working on rehabilitation through low impact exercises would be much healthier than to continue my life that way. Also, my main concern was that the xanax was stacking up in my body over those 2 weeks, and that the combo of hydro + xanax when I make the switch to ativan would just stop my heart..... I've read too many horror stories I guess

treyboi is offline New Member

Hi i recently relapsed but i know when i went to this detox place they gave me different pills one was a benzo i know that forsuee it helped me though it really did im ready to get clean again does anyone out there know these pills they gave me to detox i know like i said one was a benzo another waa immodium and another was a sleeping pill but i need to be exact and sure as to how many to get and what exactly to get please someone help im tired of feeli g hopeless and looking for the pills.

Sunshine1112 is offline Advanced Member

I think your fine on the heart thing there pretty low doses of everything. My main concern woukd be of getting hooked on benzos then having to wd from them. As benzo wd can be worse than opiate. You are on such a low dose of hydro you could probably jump if you are stable at the 10 and won't be so bad.