Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Tiptopmensshop
  • 1 Post By Beefaroni7272
  • 3 Post By Beefaroni7272
Switching from oxy to subs
    Tiptopmensshop is offline New Member

Default Switching from oxy to subs

If I have been taking oxy for 9 months. 180-200 mg a day but want to stop and take Suboxone for the time being will I experience any acute withdrawal symptoms? I am extremely concerned about the vomiting, diarrhea, restless legs and overall ability to not work. I know I want to change but for the time being the subs are my only option as I can’t miss work. If someone has experienced this before can you tell me how long I HAVE to wait until taking my first tab of sub. I will do a taper from there but want to make sure I am doing it correctly. Thanks!
    thefigurehead likes this.

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Yes you have to wait. You don't want to go into precipitated w/d. If you get into too much of a hurry and induct too early you'll be in for a world of hurt.

How long should I wait? What should I start with?

Have you seen the cows worksheet. You can Google it. You need to be at a 26 before you induct. Also have you seen the suboxone taper plan? It's located in the suboxone therapy sub forum. Top thread marked sticky. It lists the process from induction to final jump. Give it a read, twice.

I posted to your other thread. Just stick to one of them. It can get confusing to other members.

How many subs do you have?? Do you have enough to make the whole taper?
    thefigurehead likes this.

I feel like I should reiterate the othe post. Subs can help you get clean but they are a whole other monster. I don't want to dissuade you from your course of action but from experience the w/d aren't as intense but last sooooo long. It took me about a month and a half to feel normalish. If you c/t from short acting opiates you got about a week of discomfort and then it's just the mental part you have to deal with.

Like I said earlier its your choice and we are here to help. Let us know what you decide moving forward.

Beef

thefigurehead is online now Member

Hi TipTop -

You have a choice to make... tapering or CT'ing your current habit or short term sub therapy (which I don't think I'd recommend). For subs, you really need enough for a whole taper, else you will likely relapse. I was on a small dose of Percs but decided to use sub to get off. That was 11 months ago... this gave me time to change my behavior and not crave my DoC... I took 2 months to taper down to a small amount of sub and 7 days ago jumped. It has been a smooth ride for me so far. A very short sub detox might not give you enough time to gain the upper hand on your original DoC.

Either way, there are folks here with a lot of knowledge (I'M a newbie) that can help you decide.

I wish you nothing but the best on your decision.

Hey all,

Thanks so much for your kind words. And I certainly know the extend of how serious Suboxone is. I have not tried to taper yet from oxy so I guess I can start with that. I have about 5 full tabs of Suboxone 8 Mg. I can get more though. I would like to switch to that for the time being as I can’t miss work otherwise i would be fired. I know it sounds crazy but I am still going to go to AA and NA meetings to try and fight this addiction. I have seen how deadly and awful it can be. I do not want to lose my family wife or friends as well as my job so I am doing everything i can to try to minimize the withdraw effects and keep me going everyday. From there I will have to tackle the mental part with therapy and meetings every single day. Although I didn’t ask for this it’s what god gave me and i am going to have to fight through this everyday. I am ready for the challenge.