Hey,

I just signed up for this forum because I am a teacher and read a thread by another teacher.

I’m trying to taper off my Vicodin too. I use them for Interstitial Cystitis, shoulder pain, and Migraines. Unfortunately, I don’t take them just when I’m having problems with my chronic pain. I was up to 20 mg (2 tabs) daily for a few months, but I have weaned myself back to 1/2 tablet (5 mg) per day now. I felt inspired today when I read this other teacher’s thread. I read to the end, but I have not seen an update from him.

If he’s out there, I would love an update on how it’s going your first week back to school. I keep my 1/2 a pill in my pocket all day just in case I feel like I need it, or in case I get a migraine. It’s ok if you have slipped backwards. I’ve been there before, and I know how it feels. You want to hide and not let anyone know, but those are the stories I need to hear too. I have to allow myself to screw up and then get back on track. I need to feel like I’m not the only one that has this problem.

I’m also trying to quit smoking. I’m down from 15-18 cigs a day to 8-9. I have a box of patches sitting here for when I’m ready to do it, but with the withdrawals I’m having- sweats, cold, pain, worse than usual anxiety, fatigue, and feeling so unmotivated to do anything-I wonder if I’m taking on too much too fast.

I’m a newbie here. A little background-I’ve been through outpatient detox for oxycodone about 10 years ago. It was my husband’s prescription, not my own. I realized too late that I was addicted to them, and the withdrawals from that drug are really bad. They put me on one of the prescription meds to get off of them and I went daily to meetings and acupuncture. It really worked great, and I had very few withdrawal issues-mainly psychological.

Fast forward and I ended up with a migraine that lasted almost 6 weeks. I’m not kidding. I didn’t know they could last that long. I was scanned and given a ton of different meds. NOTHING worked except sometimes I’d get an hour or two of relief if I took a Norco. That was about 4 years ago. I have continued using them for my migraines. I developed a rare disease Interstitial Cystitis which includes bladder/pelvic pain. No one can describe the amount of pain that comes with this disease!!! I was not given any pain meds for it, so I began using my migraine Norcos to help. I only get 30 (10 mg) pills every 2 months. I began getting the extras I seriously needed from anyone and everyone I knew. It took 2 1/2 years of various treatments, meds, supplements, acupuncture, and diet to get my bladder pain under control.

By then, I couldn’t stop taking the pills even when I felt ok. I never used more that 20 mg in a day, but just the long term use was enough to hook me. As I said, I have cut back to 5 mg day but am having physical and mental wd symptoms. Occasionally, 1-2x a week max, I will take an extra 5 mg if I’m having a rough day-not pain, just a tough day.

I want to get off of these and only use them for my migraines as necessary (because they really are the only thing that helps) and NOT daily anymore. I look forward to being in this community.

Thanks for listening!