Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Catrina
  • 1 Post By RunDougRun
Tapering Down....Almost done!!! See the light at the end of the tunnel
    RunDougRun is offline New Member

Default Tapering Down....Almost done!!! See the light at the end of the tunnel

Hello People!!!
    So I've been doing an incredibly slow weaning process (Almost 2 months now).....After being on various Pain Pills and I'm on the home stretch but I'm terrified that its my last "Step"....

Quick Back Story:
    Jeep Accident in 2008 (Had to be lifeflight)
    -5 broken vertabraes in back
    -10 ribs
    -collapsed lungs
    -lacerated spleen
    -broken wrist BLAH BLAH BLAH

At my worst I was taking 7 Percoset daily.....I never went beyond what the DR's were giving me.....but that's another story (6 pills a day is way to much IMO)

Anyways, jump towards 2014 and my daily regiment has been 3 norco daily 5mgx325 and 2 30mg Morphine 2 times a day (Morning and Night).....

I've cut out the Norco completely and now I'm down to 1 30mg Morphine daily.......Ive picked up my 15mg Morphine extended release and I hope it's the last thing I need......

I'm thinking of taking 15mg Morphine extended release for 1 week than stopping......Like I said, I've cut down dramatically and hopefully have put myself in a position to be as withdrawl sympton free as possible........

If I need another "Step Down" from the 15mg Extended Release.....Where would I go to????? Or am I far enough along that I can finally just stop

----Im super nervous----

melindau is offline Member

Hi Doug
    I say go for it!!! the extended relief is not so good but you are at a low enough dose were I think you can do it!!! it will be over in a few days anyway!!! right! let us know how you are doing!!!
    Melinda

Quote Originally Posted by melindau View Post
    Hi Doug
    I say go for it!!! the extended relief is not so good but you are at a low enough dose were I think you can do it!!! it will be over in a few days anyway!!! right! let us know how you are doing!!!
    Melinda
    The other thought I had was to do 15mg extended release for a week, than to norco 5mg 1 daily at night.....That would be the last step....I could even go 1\2 norco

not sleeping is my number one concern....

Hi Doug
    I think that would be a great plan...It took me a long time to do my taper also...I got down to 5mg vic and then jumped...I was working then and still made it..I understand about the no sleeping I really do think that is the hardest part...
    Keep posting and let us know how you are doing... we may have a few tricks that will help you...
    Melinda

Quote Originally Posted by melindau View Post
    Hi Doug
    I think that would be a great plan...It took me a long time to do my taper also...I got down to 5mg vic and then jumped...I was working then and still made it..I understand about the no sleeping I really do think that is the hardest part...
    Keep posting and let us know how you are doing... we may have a few tricks that will help you...
    Melinda
    I'm we wondering if I d should just go for it after this week....It seems like I should be okay....I'm almost 30 hours in between doses.

I just don't want the short acting pills to knock me backwards....

UTTAD is offline Member

Hi, Doug! awesome job on the taper. I am tapering off morphine now too. I am down to 22.5 mg. fortunately, I have the immediate release which is easier to spread out. I have wondered the same thing about the jump...and decided on jumping from 15 mg also. I feel that anything less is probably just delaying the inevitable, but hell, I have no idea really. Trust yourself and know that you are stronger than you think.

If you have pain issues, I've hear corydalis tea (Chinese herb) works for pain and helps with withdrawals. It was featured in Dr Oz in Jan and there was a study done recently. It is no addictive. I just ordered it and will try it today once my symptoms start getting tough to handle. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hang tough!

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Hi Doug,

I'm with Melinda on this one. Your dose is low enough that I'd just go for it. You won't be symptom free but at least by this time next week, it'll be behind you instead of obsessing about where to go from here. The anticipation is a part of what keeps us stagnant and prolongs the process.

Let us know what you decide to do. This is your journey, your plan. Whatever you decide, we'll be here for you. Only you know you. We can only share our experience. Being able to taper is a good indicator of your self discipline, something I sure never had. It was cold turkey or nothing for me and I jumped at around 120 mg per day and survived to tell about it.

Peace,

Cat
    silverlining1 and melindau like this.

toir99 is offline New Member

Good for you Doug. Hope you get free those drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    Hi Doug,

I'm with Melinda on this one. Your dose is low enough that I'd just go for it. You won't be symptom free but at least by this time next week, it'll be behind you instead of obsessing about where to go from here. The anticipation is a part of what keeps us stagnant and prolongs the process.

Let us know what you decide to do. This is your journey, your plan. Whatever you decide, we'll be here for you. Only you know you. We can only share our experience. Being able to taper is a good indicator of your self discipline, something I sure never had. It was cold turkey or nothing for me and I jumped at around 120 mg per day and survived to tell about it.

Peace,

Cat
    Well it looks like no 15mg for me.... To get that Rx refilled my pain management Dr wants to see me......

I'm a little concerned because now I'm jumping from 30mg with no taper....since its extended release I thought I would be okay but it seems like it's going to be harder than fast acting......

I know withdrawl symptoms don't really start until day 2....... I can go almost 30 hours without morphine

should I use norco for the next few days to get over the hump of morphine withdrawl?

or will this be tolerable if just quit all toether?

UTTAD is offline Member

Doug, How ru doing? Thinking of you.

Quote Originally Posted by UTTAD View Post
    Doug, How ru doing? Thinking of you.
    I've decided to jump off at 30mg....I'm at 38 hours and feel fine....

I'm going to go buy melatonin and valrian root....plus otc pain meds.....

I'm scared to death lol....as long as I can sleep I'll be okay
    melindau likes this.

Hi Doug
    So glad you decided to jump!!!! sleep will be the last thing to come...But it will hang in there and talk to us!!!
    you will get thru this!!! Happy day!!!!
    Melinda

Doug,

Hope you're hanging tough. Good decision to just do this. Keep us posted.

Peace,

Cat

I'm now at 59 hours....feel okay except for my really bad stomach ache......Tummy is rumbling. I managed to sleep some.

I'm wondering if I shoukd even take a pill at this point at 2 days in.....It would still be weaning......I'm not sure.

Doug,

Two days down. You're nearly 1/2 way there. For me, at least, the worst arrived during Day 2 and stayed steady to the end. Go for it! You're gonna have to get rid of the pills on hand, though. Having them around will drive you nuts. They call you, "just one. you were planning to taper anyway, so just take one". Won't work. Please consider tossing em and getting this over with.

Peace,

Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    Doug,

Two days down. You're nearly 1/2 way there. For me, at least, the worst arrived during Day 2 and stayed steady to the end. Go for it! You're gonna have to get rid of the pills on hand, though. Having them around will drive you nuts. They call you, "just one. you were planning to taper anyway, so just take one". Won't work. Please consider tossing em and getting this over with.

Peace,

Cat
    I couldn't do it lol....Anyways, I'm not totally bummed. I managed to go 68 hours.....I'm not even getting the high from the 15s like the 30......Its crazy but I feel my body craving less and less.....That will probably be my taper.....every 50 hours or so.

my stomach cramps were too severe tonight......BTW My wife has all my pills, So mentally I know it's not a free for all.

I'm going to see what the Dr says, I tried the jump....but this isn't easy like Norco.