Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Catrina
Tapering going great but I have questions
    Cokey30 is offline New Member

Default Tapering going great but I have questions

Ok I started tapering off of my 40-65mg hydro habit went 32 hours no meds w/d kicked in so I said I'll try in taper.So day one I did 50 day one day two 45 day three 35 day four I did 30 and today I did 30. Now today after my last 15mg dose I got super buzzed does this mean that my body is adjusting to the taper and if I continue this way when I get down to 10mg a day and jump ct that my withdrawl will be very mild ? Thanks

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

I'm afraid everyone is different. Don't set too much hope on that "buzz" from the lower dose gave you. In my opinion, doesn't mean a whole lot except that you're at a much lower dose and more time in between doses. When your dose is that low now it takes very little to place most, if not all of your w/d symptoms at bay. Don't be fooled. This is just one of the ways our addict brains says, "Wow, look at what just a small dose does! I can do this and be careful to just not escalate again." This rationale is far, far from accurate. I promise you, it only takes a day or two before that "buzz" is gone and our brain is telling us to "take another 5mg, that'll do it and compared to where I was, that's nothing." Wrong again the vicious cycle begins.

I know that isn't your question so I'll try to answer that. Even at low a dose, I doubt it will be clear sailing, just a whole lot easier than monster amounts. There are those of us who just can't taper (gobble, gobble...me) and it's cold turkey or nothing. I'm certain your jump won't cause as severe symptoms and probably won't last as long as those of us who could tolerate a couple hundred mgs/day and just quit! It's the work after that counts and keeping track of how little can still make you feel it is an invitation to "do it just this once". I promise too that never is the case over the long all. This is an all or nothing attempt to resurrect your life.

Congrats on your work thus far. Hope I didn't sound harsh. I just have a lot of experience and have been thru all the pit falls. Over 4 yrs clean and I'm still side-stepping those pit falls. No shame there, just pride because I step around them.

Peace,

Cat
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

No you didn't offend me at all im glad someone even replied . Oan that buzz certainly didn't take me in another direction it just made me say hey if u can get high off such a small amount maybe it wont be as bad . But boy was I wrong, as I type this 15-16 hours later im in the bed feeling like >>>> . I decided to give it a ct shot and see how long I can last without popping to relieve pain as I do have to go to work Tuesday mourning I have to be fuctional

laydee is offline Junior Member

First of all congratulations on your road to a wonderful addiction free life. In my opinion ur low enough now to go cold turkey and ride it out. Withdrawels suck but in the end its so worth it. If possible maybe u can take a few days off from work and focus on your recovery. The symptoms wont be gone by tuesday. .and ur doing so well. Drink plenty of fluids, keep ur mind busy. Read some other stories on here. And take ur vitamins. If u have further symptoms we can give advise with those as well. Ur jot alone. Theres alot of support here. You can do this. Good luck ...... jaimie

My God you think the symptoms will last longer than Tuesday ?

I re-read your first post. The front part of a taper is the easier (not easy). The key is slow and steady and trying to allow as much time as possible before using. Sounds like you've done amazing thus far but if you cold turkey now, well (sorry) you are still looking at 5 days or so before you see the light. That's 5 days from your last dose. The only way tapering will help alleviate the worst of the w/d symptoms is slooowww and steady and that pace will all depend upon you because it's different for everyone. If you have what it takes, by all means continue to taper because the lower you get, the better you're going to be. As I said, for me a successful taper was not in the cards. No will power. All or nothing. While cold turkey coming off my LAST DAY 1 in 2010 was from around 120-150/day. On my fifth day I felt like a weak,tired baby but I was clean, tummy issues gone, RLS (thank goodness--the worst for me) completely gone!!!! Sleep took some time to return to anything that resembled normal (whatever this is!). I discovered that my "normal is 5-6 hrs a night but it was only after I got clean and stopped gaining more than that when I realized that pre-addiction that was MY normal. Go figure. Just work at whatever means fits. If you want it, you'll get there. There just isn't any shortcuts.

Peace,

Cat

Sorry. I should have included that most often (always?) you are going to be somewhat uncomfortable for a time while you adjust to your lower dose but it's a far cry from full blown cold turkey. That's the way it works and probably why it never worked for me. I felt like I was dying in little increments so rip the damn bandaid off already! Oh it felt worst. Yes, yes it did. BUT instead of feeling less horrible but for a longer period of time wasn't something where I would find success. BUT you choose. This is your journey remembering that a successful taper will cause you some discomfort/symptoms (hopefully not too bad) with each drop. Then, once you have become adjusted to the new, lower dose--yup--time to drop again. See what I mean?? Works for a lot of folks and I hope you are one of them. Do it right, do it once.

Peace,

Cat
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-04-2014 at 04:20 PM.

I think im going to go ahead and try to take off a couple days and hopefully I can return to work on the 4th or 5th day and push through till the weekend

Good for you Cokey! I wish you the best and stay in touch. I'll be here watching and cheering. Cold Turkey sucks big time but like I said if I have to choose between wiggling that bandaid or ripping it off, I'll take the painful short route every time. It'll be some tough times but look, I bet you've had a case of the flu that lasted longer than 5 days. I know I have. Problem with detox is the mind games. Nothing we can do with the flu but ride it out. Detox on the other hand--relief is a pill away--but sooooo not worth it. Five days? Nah...treat the symptoms as best you can and just don't use today. Tomorrow will take care of itself. We can survive anything for a day, right? I'm with yah. Big hug to you. Hunker down and get 'er done!!

Peace,

Cat
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-04-2014 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks so much for the encouragement CAT

Here's an update im 36 hours in now symptoms are bad for a while then get tolerable for a while but somehow someway i have been getting a decent amount of sleep considering im in opiate withdrawal THANK GOD for that!!!! I've been taking this supplement called calmsupport I think thats were this sleep has been coming from . But any way that's my update so far tonight will make 48 hours hopefully I can make it cheers

Good for you, Cokey! I say anything to help with sleep during detox is a blessing so long as it's something over the counter and non-addictive. Glad you found something. Melatonin did help some for me but not a whole lot. I have plenty of cold turkeys under my belt (so proud am I!!) and almost always (not always) Day 1 is barely a nuisance--just some anxiety for what I know was to come. Day 2 was when the symptoms began to arrive in earnest, but still on my feet and facing the day. Days 3 and 4 the worst of it. As I said before, on the morning of Day 5 except for being weak and tired, wiped out actually and totally without motivation, all the physical symptoms were gone! I was afraid to move, afraid I'd be tempting those symptoms to return but they didn't for the most part and they were totally doable. Having said that, two days--not so bad, just freaking myself out and two days, well we won't talk about those! Looks like you're about half way there. Takes guts to c/t. Congratulations! Get thru it and then your work begins. One minute, one hour, one day at a time. Try not to look too far into the future--at least not now. Consistent short term goals are a lot easier to achieve. An analogy that I always like to use is that if I needed to lose 50 lbs, that would be daunting and I'd be throwing the towel in the first time I saw a Ring Ding! Now, 5 lbs is doable and I only have to resist that Ding Dong for a week or so, not forever. This is much like that at this point for you. The thought of getting thru your detox and then staying clean forever is apt to have you questioning if you have it in you to do it and easy to return to the addict's thought process of, "I just don't care". The questions arise like, "what if I need surgery and hence, a pain pill?". Addict thoughts. All of them. Our mind is simply trying to find a way to justify keeping our addiction active. Not that there may be a time in the future when you might need a pain pill but why stress about it now. With clean time behind you and if you do the work, it's easier to be honest with everyone including your doctor(s). Easier (and essential!) to be truthful about your propensity to abuse narcotics. Certainly, this is nothing they haven't seen before and your honesty will allow them to help you thru the bump. That is only an example. We as addicts face temptation and that's exactly when we need to be honest with ourselves and with others. It's a test we face over and over but it gets easier to master after putting together some clean time. Honesty and asking for help has no shame, it shows determination and strength.

I'm getting ahead of myself. For now, just do you and feel better physically then you can start the work. Find that switch inside you so that you can flip it and say "no more!".

You go, Cokey!!! Rah Rah!!!

Peace,

Cat

My sleep aid is calmsupport supplement made of natural herbs by the guy from freefromhell.com hes an ex addict oan your words are very encouraging once again and im going to try to make it through this day cheers

laydee is offline Junior Member

Yay congrats. I hope I didnt scare u when I said it would last longer then tuesday. I just didnt want you to count on that and then have symptoms at work. Those can be harsh. So glad to hear your getting some sleep. Keep going and know u have tons of support here from us all. I myself am on day 12, no more symptoms n went back to work saturday. Feeling alive for the first time in yrs. You got this. Good luck and keep us posted. Jaimie

It can be scary thinking about later lol but im just focusing on the moment and at the moment I actually feel decent besides my un easy stomach

Is 49 hours considered Day 3 lol

Just an update I'm 84 hours in day 4 by the end of the day it will be the beginning of day 5 day 3 was pretty bad starting off got better towards the end,rls drove me crazy but I made it through somehow hopefully I Can make it to day 5