Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes
Tapering off of oxycodone and ms contin...
    spacie1985 is offline Junior Member

Default Tapering off of oxycodone and ms contin...

Hello all. I've been reading posts off and on all day to keep my willpower going and this has helped a lot. I've had addiction issues since I was about 15 (got clean when I was 20, cold turkey, but started using again at age 23), I am now 30 years old. My drug of choice has always been oxycodone. My habit until a couple days ago had been about 4 tabs of 30mg oxycodone and 1-2 tabs of 100 mg ms contin. I have been wanting to detox for a long time but only recently decided to just do it. I have cut my pill intake to 2 tabs of 30mg oxycodone and 1tab of 100mg ms contin. It hasn't been terrible but I am somewhat uncomfortable (mild headache, higher blood pressure, muscle aches, and of course digestive discomfort). I am grateful to have found this forum. This isn't something I share with many people, I am embarrassed that I let myself fall back into this habit after doing so well the first time around. Anyway, thank you all. I am not sure how to taper down from here, I refuse to do cold turkey like I did last time.

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by spacie1985 View Post
    Hello all. I've been reading posts off and on all day to keep my willpower going and this has helped a lot. I've had addiction issues since I was about 15 (got clean when I was 20, cold turkey, but started using again at age 23), I am now 30 years old. My drug of choice has always been oxycodone. My habit until a couple days ago had been about 4 tabs of 30mg oxycodone and 1-2 tabs of 100 mg ms contin. I have been wanting to detox for a long time but only recently decided to just do it. I have cut my pill intake to 2 tabs of 30mg oxycodone and 1tab of 100mg ms contin. It hasn't been terrible but I am somewhat uncomfortable (mild headache, higher blood pressure, muscle aches, and of course digestive discomfort). I am grateful to have found this forum. This isn't something I share with many people, I am embarrassed that I let myself fall back into this habit after doing so well the first time around. Anyway, thank you all. I am not sure how to taper down from here, I refuse to do cold turkey like I did last time.
    spacie1985 - you're attempting something that a lot of people cannot do, taper! You have to have a tremendous amount of willpower and discipline but tapering is doable, I myself did it! But in my case I tapered by too much and too fast so the whole time I was in a constant state of withdrawal with horrendous depression and anxiety! If you are adamant about tapering and you just can't or refuse to go cold turkey then the taper has to be done very slowly as to minimize and/or eliminate any withdrawal symptoms! I would eliminate the ms contin right away and just wean with the short-acting oxycodone. It is recommended to taper 20% every week or so, the lower in dosage you go the slower the taper goes! Listen to your body, you can speed up the taper or slow it down depending how you feel? Remember with tapering, slow and steady wins the race! Good luck and keep us updated? Take care... God bless us all!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-14-2016 at 04:28 AM.
    spacie1985 and Iluv2smile like this.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Hey Spacie
    Welcome!
    Check out Catrina's posts. She's very experienced getting off pills.
    Taper as low as you can. Ricky made great suggestions.
    Drink plenty of water and eat light.
    We're all here for the same reason, so don't feel embarrassed. You can do this and we're here to help when it gets tough...

Thank you both so much for the input, I greatly appreciate it. Today has been uncomfortable but I am determined. I've broken the oxygen into halves and have taken two halves thus far today (equaling 30mg). I haven't had any of the ms contin. Would that likely be why today is more uncomfortable? Also, how do I find the specific post by Catrina? I suck at navigating forums. It helps knowing other people "get" what I am going through.

Also, I am wondering if taking something like Flexeril or bentyl would help with my discomfort. I have IBS so I do have such meds available.

Thank you both so much for the input, I greatly appreciate it. Today has been uncomfortable but I am determined. I've broken the oxygen into halves and have taken two halves thus far today (equaling 30mg). I haven't had any of the ms contin. Would that likely be why today is more uncomfortable? Also, how do I find the specific post by Catrina? I suck at navigating forums. It helps knowing other people "get" what I am going through.
    Here's a link to Catrina's thread - https://www.drugs.com/forum/need-tal...ney-55400.html
    Ming23 likes this.

Well, still haven't taken the ms contin at all today and stuck to the two oxycodones thus far. I'll see how tonight goes, if need be I'll do a half of one to make it through the night. Man this sucks. I'll read through the post here in a bit, thanks
    Ming23 likes this.

I've not had any ms contin for four days now, I am taking four 30mg oxycodones a day but absolutely will be tapering off of them (definitely more slowly than I did with the ms contin). It's been a tough few days and there were a couple of times that I thought about taking some of the ms contin but after seeing it had been a couple of days without at that point I just couldn't do it. Anyway, figured I'd update.
    Nolongerfooled and Ming23 like this.

crazyfrog is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    spacie1985 - you're attempting something that a lot of people cannot do, taper! You have to have a tremendous amount of willpower and discipline but tapering is doable, I myself did it! But in my case I tapered by too much and too fast so the whole time I was in a constant state of withdrawal with horrendous depression and anxiety! If you are adamant about tapering and you just can't or refuse to go cold turkey then the taper has to be done very slowly as to minimize and/or eliminate any withdrawal symptoms! I would eliminate the ms contin right away and just wean with the short-acting oxycodone. It is recommended to taper 20% every week or so, the lower in dosage you go the slower the taper goes! Listen to your body, you can speed up the taper or slow it down depending how you feel? Remember with tapering, slow and steady wins the race! Good luck and keep us updated? Take care... God bless us all!
    Lol. Im one of those. Its either all in or nothing. I cant taper even if it depended on my life. I went full CT and made it clean. 1 yrs to be somewhat accurate. Its just such a hellish road but its gotta be done.
    spacie1985 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfrog View Post
    Lol. Im one of those. Its either all in or nothing. I cant taper even if it depended on my life. I went full CT and made it clean. 1 yrs to be somewhat accurate. Its just such a hellish road but its gotta be done.
    Kudos on kicking your habit, that really is wonderful. I'm sticking to it and feel good about it. Today has been an incredibly trying day and I didn't use that to justify taking more (my mother was hospitalized today). One day at a time, I know.
    Ming23 likes this.

My mother passed away yesterday afternoon and that has made me decide to just quit the oxycodones entirely. I am so sick of doing this to myself.
    Ming23 likes this.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Omg that is horrible.
    I am so sorry..
    At least if you are clean
    You will experience this very painful situation now
    Instead of being numb and having to wonder what is wrong later down the road.

I have found in the last 2 years being clean
    The more painful things are that happen .
    But the healthier and stronger I become emotionally..

Was her dead unexpected?

I will keep you in my prayers.

As Ricky says
    God Bless Us All
    Bette
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-20-2016 at 03:27 PM.
    spacie1985 and Ming23 like this.

My mother passed away yesterday afternoon and that has made me decide to just quit the oxycodones entirely. I am so sick of doing this to myself.
    I'm so sorry for your loss... May the Lord bring you peace and comfort in your time of sorrow... God bless us all!
    Ming23 and spacie1985 like this.

Kudos on kicking your habit, that really is wonderful. I'm sticking to it and feel good about it. Today has been an incredibly trying day and I didn't use that to justify taking more (my mother was hospitalized today). One day at a time, I know.

Yup.. i know that feeling very well. Something big happens and u get tempted to use. What saved me was working out. Rip my muscle fibers hard. Then recover.
    spacie1985 likes this.

Ahh man. Sucks man. Begin your new life.
    spacie1985 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Iluv2smile View Post
    Omg that is horrible.
    I am so sorry..
    At least if you are clean
    You will experience this very painful situation now
    Instead of being numb and having to wonder what is wrong later down the road.

I have found in the last 2 years being clean
    The more painful things are that happen .
    But the healthier and stronger I become emotionally..

Was her dead unexpected?

I will keep you in my prayers.

As Ricky says
    God Bless Us All
    Bette
    It was very unexpected. She has a lot of health issues but had been in the best health of her life these last several months. I came down to check on her (I was her caretaker) but she was not responding. I called an ambulance and she had a temp of 106 with low blood pressure. The er doctor put a tube down her throat to ease her breathing. She was admitted into the ICU. I left that night thinking she would be okay but I got a call from the ICU saying she had turned for the worse and that I should come down now. She had become septic, her fever went up to 109, and her blood pressure was still very low. After many doctors came in to try to help her, I was told that whatever had happened was catastrophic and lethal. I signed a DNR and she passed that afternoon. This has been the toughest thing I have ever been through but it also has put a fire under my bum to get my life together. I haven'thad any oxy for 20 and a half hours now.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-20-2016 at 09:25 PM.
    Ming23 likes this.

It's not quite two days but getting there with no oxycodone and no ms contin. I think discontinuing the ms contin last week and tapering down off of the oxycodones has made it so cutting off the last bit as cold turkey wasn't terrible. I haven't slept yet but my muscles are no longer uncomfortable. I got rid of every pill in my house also so I won't be tempted.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Spacie
    So sorry. These are the times that try us. Take comfort in knowing your mom did not suffer and passed quickly. And you're making her proud every time you resist resuming past habits of chemical comfort.
    As Bette says, you will grieve but it's better to feel love and loss than to feel nothing. You're doing the right thing.
    Proud of you for taking this path. It could have gone either way but you're obviously ready...
    Hang in there! We're all here to support your good decision.
    You're doing the absolute right thing!
    Iluv2smile and spacie1985 like this.

Gilsmom is offline Member

Hello Spacie...
    Just read your thread and wanted to send some prayers your way!! I am so sorry about your mom!
    What a way to carry on her legacy by getting clean! You are amazing and I am just blown away at your strength! Keep on going and make Mom proud!! I'm here rooting for you!!
    Take care,
    Mary
    Xo
    spacie1985 likes this.

Reeray is offline Member

Dear Spacie

I am really sorry to hear about your Mom. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    spacie1985 likes this.

Thank you all so much for your prayers and positive thoughts. This week has been crazy but I have not had any narcotics at all since about 2am on 7/20. I'm actually waiting on a bus to take me to get the support I have needed for a long time for my depression and anxiety issues. This board has been invaluable to me, thank you for being there.

Figured I'd update just to say it has been a week officially with no pills. Thus far I have had no cravings which is great. I got an appointment scheduled for a couple weeks out for my mental health issues and am feeling optimistic about that.

Figured I'd update just to say it has been a week officially with no pills. Thus far I have had no cravings which is great. I got an appointment scheduled for a couple weeks out for my mental health issues and am feeling optimistic about that.
    spacie - congratulations on your one week off the pills, that's awesome! I have a recommendation for a book that may help you with your depression and anxiety, let me know if you are interested and I'll post the info to your thread later today? Be well... God bless us all!
    spacie1985 likes this.

Congratulations!
    That is awesome.

I am glad you are going to deal with your mental health issues..

Most of us are dual diagnosed..

That is another tool to add to your tool box
    To stay clean..

Mental health issues definitely can exacerbate addiction..

You have been through a lot ..
    I hope you can feel a true sense of accomplishment!
    Because it is huge!
    Take care
    Bette
    spacie1985 likes this.

Dont go. Live your life without anything for 90 days. If you have mental issues after that, then see a doctor. All they will give you is snother pill that will ruin your life.

Reeray is offline Member

Hi Spacie,
    Congratulations on being clean!

Sometimes just talking face to face with a counsellor can really help. I have severe anxiety and I use restorative yoga and. listen to guided meditations for anxiety (on youtube). There are loads of them. Give it a try until you find one that works for you. Be patient too. You have to do it everyday for a week before it really begins to work. It's free too! Lol.

They also have anxiety and depression hypnosis. A great therapist told me about this a year ago when I was going through protracted benzo withdrawal. Benzos are BAD!!

You are doing it!!
    spacie1985 likes this.

I disagree with crayfrog ..

If you have diagnosed mental health issues then get them treated ..

I have depression but am not on anything ..
    I was on antidepressants when I got off the methadone
    When I was on sub.

But I got off them about 1 year or so off everything ..
    I wanted to take natural supplements and you can't take some of them with SSRIs..

Pills are not the only thing they have to offer..
    One to one counseling is Awesome..

It is better to discover what we may have been medicating ourselves for over the years..
    That is why many people end up liking pills
    Now
    I use exercise
    Yoga
    My spiritual group..

We can not do this alone!
    IMO the more tools you have in your tool box.
    The easier the road will be..

Honestly getting clean
    Is
    The easy part !
    Staying clean
    Requires work!

But as you see already it is worth it!
    Bette
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-27-2016 at 12:09 PM.
    spacie1985 likes this.

I would love the book recommendation, Ricky. I'm a reader and am looking for things that will be of comfort. I had originally contacted a grief group but the person who runs it said that while someone is in shock, it isn't good to compound other people's grief onto yours so now I am going to see a one on one doc. I have needed to go for a long time, wish I had (especially when my dad ended his life when I was seventeen). I'm definitely of the mindset that you can't have enough support. You all are so amazing, thank you!

I would love the book recommendation, Ricky. I'm a reader and am looking for things that will be of comfort. I had originally contacted a grief group but the person who runs it said that while someone is in shock, it isn't good to compound other people's grief onto yours so now I am going to see a one on one doc. I have needed to go for a long time, wish I had (especially when my dad ended his life when I was seventeen). I'm definitely of the mindset that you can't have enough support. You all are so amazing, thank you!
    spacie - here's the book information - Nutrient Power: Heal Your Biochemistry and Heal Your Brain by William J. Walsh

You can read the reviews on Amazon? Good luck, I hope the book can help you? Let me know what you think after reading it? Keep us updated on your progress? Take care... God bless us all!

Smilingstorm is offline Senior Member

Oh Spacie, I am sending you so much peace as you grieve. I'm so sorry for your loss. Both of your parents loss...

Go take care of you. It sounds like the perfect time to just embrace healing (physically and emotionally).

Your strength is remarkable in my opinion.

-Stormy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast