Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By sodabug
  • 3 Post By sodabug
tapering off percocet
    sodabug is offline New Member

Default tapering off percocet

I have been on prescription pain pills from my doctor for the last 7 years. I have been on 4 morphine a day, and 7 percocet daily. About 3 weeks ago, I started feeling shortness of breath. From reading online, I am pretty sure it is from the opiates. So, I have decided to quit, and I choose breathing over pain relief. I tried CT, but only made it about 30 hours, and couldn't take it.

I talk to my doctor, and he put me on tapering plan. I moved faster then the plan, and went off the morphine in one week. Been off morphine for 3 weeks now!

With the percocet, I went from 7 to 4 the first week, then kept going down about every 4/5 days. I am currently on day 3 of just 1.5 a day. I have always taken just 1/2 at a time, so this is amazing to me that I have been doing this. I used to take 1/2 about every 1 or 1.5 hours, and now I have reduced so much. The worst symptom is the RLS, which seems to be common. Anxiety is rough, but using cannabis (without the THC) and that has been amazing with anxiety, although spendy. Worth it. Well, my back pain sucks again, but I will have to get used to that.

I am wondering if I will experience as intense withdrawal when I totally stop, or if it will be a little easier since I have been tapering? Would love to hear from people who have tapered, and how it worked out when going from 1 to 1/2 to 0. How long did the withdrawal take after going to 0?

I am using hylands RLS, and that helps a little. My doctor prescribed requip, which I took a few times, but don't want another med to taper off of at the end of all this. Also taking Calm support, B12, magnesium, and some other supplements. Not sure they help, but can't hurt.

Dylberts is offline New Member

Hi Sodabug,

First of all, i'm extremely proud of you! It takes a lot of physical and mental strength to tapper down that quickly. For some that's not a smart idea, however, you seem to luckily be coping just fine.

Unfortunately, when I was addicted to high doses of oxycodone I tried multiple times to taper, but just couldn't do it traditionally! I had to take an excessively long route, so again, i'm extremely happy and proud to hear your achievement!

You're nearing the end! I suggest slowly tapering from here by every 5-7 days, carefully reducing the dosage. However, it sounds like you're phsycially and mentally strong when it comes to your determination to getting off opiates for good!

Being that you've been on them for so long you may experience PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Sympotims; Cravings, lack of energy, and depression..) once you're completely off the opiates.

I highly recommned being extremely active, getting some sun, taking vitamins, and also any sumpliments to help boost your mood/physical strength. As for sleeping and RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) I suggest taking melatonine and some benadryl. If you start taking xanax, lorazepam, or any other form of benzo you'll only potentially get addicted to a whole new hell.

People are extremely flip or flop opinionated about taking Kratom, however I highly recommend it. Especially since your will is stronger than your addiction. If the RLS becomes too insane, Kratom will completely illiminate that affect. It's also extremely beneficial to take a dose every 4-6 days when experiencing PAWS just to get you through the day. That being said, just like anything, it can become addictive. Some people report withdrawals from Kratom is nothing worse than caffiene while others report it's worse than opiate withdrawals. For me however, I took it for only 3 days (Which helped a lot!!) and came out perfectly fine afterwards! The worst symptoms I felt were just slight headaches, similar to caffeine withdrawals.

Anyways, your journey is almost over and i'm incredibly proud of you! We're all here to support you any way we can and would love to hear when you're 100% opiate free! Keep it up, you're gifted in willpower & got this!

Last edited by Anonymous; 04-22-2017 at 09:18 PM.

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by sodabug View Post
    I have been on prescription pain pills from my doctor for the last 7 years. I have been on 4 morphine a day, and 7 percocet daily. About 3 weeks ago, I started feeling shortness of breath. From reading online, I am pretty sure it is from the opiates. So, I have decided to quit, and I choose breathing over pain relief. I tried CT, but only made it about 30 hours, and couldn't take it.

I talk to my doctor, and he put me on tapering plan. I moved faster then the plan, and went off the morphine in one week. Been off morphine for 3 weeks now!

With the percocet, I went from 7 to 4 the first week, then kept going down about every 4/5 days. I am currently on day 3 of just 1.5 a day. I have always taken just 1/2 at a time, so this is amazing to me that I have been doing this. I used to take 1/2 about every 1 or 1.5 hours, and now I have reduced so much. The worst symptom is the RLS, which seems to be common. Anxiety is rough, but using cannabis (without the THC) and that has been amazing with anxiety, although spendy. Worth it. Well, my back pain sucks again, but I will have to get used to that.

I am wondering if I will experience as intense withdrawal when I totally stop, or if it will be a little easier since I have been tapering? Would love to hear from people who have tapered, and how it worked out when going from 1 to 1/2 to 0. How long did the withdrawal take after going to 0?

I am using hylands RLS, and that helps a little. My doctor prescribed requip, which I took a few times, but don't want another med to taper off of at the end of all this. Also taking Calm support, B12, magnesium, and some other supplements. Not sure they help, but can't hurt.
    sodabug - welcome to the forum. Hmmm, not sure about the shortness of breath being related to the opiates in your case? I'm not saying that it's not possible, it is a known side effect of opiates but usually this occurs if you are taking very high amounts, mixing opiates with other meds or have an allergic reaction? You have been taking opiates for 7 years so you can rule out the the allergic reaction! So now you must figure out why you experienced the shortness of breath? In the end quitting opiates is a very good decision regardless!

It's awesome that you have the willpower to taper but I must tell you that you are tapering too fast! Tapers must be done very slowly and on a controlled basis. The tapers must be slow enough to avoid or at the very least minimize any withdrawals and discomfort. I would recommend you stay on your current dose until you stabilize then start tapering at a rate of 10-20% every week or so, you can adjust the taper up or down depending on how you feel? Again, the main objective is to minimize or eliminate any withdrawal symptoms! When it comes to tapering, slow and steady wins the race! The vitamins and supplements your are taking will definitely help so keep that up.

Another member mentioned PAWS, if I were you I wouldn't worry about that at all. It is a very rare thing that can happen months down the road long after all of the acute symptoms are gone. The cravings, lack of energy and/or depression is all part of the acute and post acute phase and is very normal.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from Kratom, it is an addictive substance that can cause additional problems!

Slow down your taper and continue with the vitamins and supplements, I'm certain you'll do/be just fine! Keep your thread updated? Best of luck to you..
    God bless us all!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-22-2017 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylberts View Post
    Hi Sodabug,

First of all, i'm extremely proud of you! It takes a lot of physical and mental strength to tapper down that quickly. For some that's not a smart idea, however, you seem to luckily be coping just fine.

Unfortunately, when I was addicted to high doses of oxycodone I tried multiple times to taper, but just couldn't do it traditionally! I had to take an excessively long route, so again, i'm extremely happy and proud to hear your achievement!

You're nearing the end! I suggest slowly tapering from here by every 5-7 days, carefully reducing the dosage. However, it sounds like you're phsycially and mentally strong when it comes to your determination to getting off opiates for good!

Being that you've been on them for so long you may experience PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Sympotims; Cravings, lack of energy, and depression..) once you're completely off the opiates.

I highly recommned being extremely active, getting some sun, taking vitamins, and also any sumpliments to help boost your mood/physical strength. As for sleeping and RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) I suggest taking melatonine and some benadryl. If you start taking xanax, lorazepam, or any other form of benzo you'll only potentially get addicted to a whole new hell.

People are extremely flip or flop opinionated about taking Kratom, however I highly recommend it. Especially since your will is stronger than your addiction. If the RLS becomes too insane, Kratom will completely illiminate that affect. It's also extremely beneficial to take a dose every 4-6 days when experiencing PAWS just to get you through the day. That being said, just like anything, it can become addictive. Some people report withdrawals from Kratom is nothing worse than caffiene while others report it's worse than opiate withdrawals. For me however, I took it for only 3 days (Which helped a lot!!) and came out perfectly fine afterwards! The worst symptoms I felt were just slight headaches, similar to caffeine withdrawals.

Anyways, your journey is almost over and i'm incredibly proud of you! We're all here to support you any way we can and would love to hear when you're 100% opiate free! Keep it up, you're gifted in willpower & got this!

Thank you. I am proud of myself. Guess I made it sound like I was cruising through this, which is not accurate. It has been really hard. I have had anxiety, RLS, lack of energy, and just want this all to be over. I go back and forth between thinking I should just go CT now, rather then prolonging the inevitable, but I have to be able to at least somewhat function with my job, and home obligations. I can't just take 3-5 days at home on the couch out of commission.
    But, I also want this to be over. I am stubborn, which in this case, is a great quality to have! And motivated. I just don't know if continuing to taper is worth it, or if I should just jump off the cliff now. I do know I have the will power to taper, as I have always set rules for myself with pills, and follow my rules. It is hard, but I can do it.

I am encouraged by hearing/reading other peoples stories, and to know that there are people who understand what I am going through. It is all I think about. I just keep telling myself one moment at a time. But the moments sure feel awfully long!!!!

RLS is absolutely the worst. Part of me is convinced that I just have this problem, and it is not from opiates, but I know that is just not the case. My leg has not stopped aching/twitchy since I started all this. In fact, is has bothered at times me even when on opiates over the last 7 years. I assume it is just a way of trying to get me to take more. At least most of the time it is only in one leg, not both, so I guess that is my silver lining.

Thank you for responding! Are you off opiates now? If so, how long have you been off? What was your experience like?

PS- I have read a lot about Kratom- I know it is something that people feel strongly about one way or the other. So, I will just say- I will make the right decision for me. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    sodabug - welcome to the forum. Hmmm, not sure about the shortness of breath being related to the opiates in your case? I'm not saying that it's not possible, it is a known side effect of opiates but usually this occurs if you are taking very high amounts, mixing opiates with other meds or have an allergic reaction? You have been taking opiates for 7 years so you can rule out the the allergic reaction! So now you must figure out why you experienced the shortness of breath? In the end quitting opiates is a very good decision regardless!

It's awesome that you have the willpower to taper but I must tell you that you are tapering too fast! Tapers must be done very slowly and on a controlled basis. The tapers must be slow enough to avoid or at the very least minimize any withdrawals and discomfort. I would recommend you stay on your current dose until you stabilize then start tapering at a rate of 10-20% every week or so, you can adjust the taper up or down depending on how you feel? Again, the main objective is to minimize or eliminate any withdrawal symptoms! When it comes to tapering, slow and steady wins the race! The vitamins and supplements your are taking will definitely help so keep that up.

Another member mentioned PAWS, if I were you I wouldn't worry about that at all. It is a very rare thing that can happen months down the road long after all of the acute symptoms are gone. The cravings, lack of energy and/or depression is all part of the acute and post acute phase and is very normal.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from Kratom, it is an addictive substance that can cause additional problems!

Slow down your taper and continue with the vitamins and supplements, I'm certain you'll do/be just fine! Keep your thread updated? Best of luck to you..
    God bless us all!
    Well, I have read in many places that long term use of opiates for women can cause shortness of breath. The less I take the better I feel. I know I have moved fast, and I have definitely had withdrawal symptoms, but I also want to get this over with. It is going to suck no matter what I do, so I just do what I can. I need to function, so I am not going so fast that I can't function. Sometimes it is like swimming in mud to do my job, but I have been doing it. I have slowed down some, and now am only going down 1/2 a pill about every 5 days or so. I am on day 4 of 1 and 1/2 pills a day. My goal is one or two more days, then go down to 1 pill a day. My plan is 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the evening. I will do this for 4/5 days, then go to 1/2. It just feels like it will take me so long to end this, and part of my thinks I should just quit CT now, and get the misery over with.

Thank you for replying! =)

PS- I have read a lot about Kratom, and made an informed decision for myself. It seems like a polarizing topic, so I plan to keep my opinion private. =)
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

dsh12345 is offline Senior Member

Well, I have read in many places that long term use of opiates for women can cause shortness of breath. The less I take the better I feel. I know I have moved fast, and I have definitely had withdrawal symptoms, but I also want to get this over with. It is going to suck no matter what I do, so I just do what I can. I need to function, so I am not going so fast that I can't function. Sometimes it is like swimming in mud to do my job, but I have been doing it. I have slowed down some, and now am only going down 1/2 a pill about every 5 days or so. I am on day 4 of 1 and 1/2 pills a day. My goal is one or two more days, then go down to 1 pill a day. My plan is 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the evening. I will do this for 4/5 days, then go to 1/2. It just feels like it will take me so long to end this, and part of my thinks I should just quit CT now, and get the misery over with.

Thank you for replying! =)

PS- I have read a lot about Kratom, and made an informed decision for myself. It seems like a polarizing topic, so I plan to keep my opinion private. =)
    Hey, congratulations on your taper, that is has been working out and everything. You are on an incredibly low dose of percocet right now and that is a huge victory.

Tapering suboxone is common, but tapering regular full opiates is somewhat different. Most ppl taper down from a huge ridiculous dose (like 400mg a day of oxy) to something more sensible like 25-75mg/day and then jump. Very few stories out there of ppl that have been able to taper down full opiates to like miniscule single digit mg amounts and then step off the train gently as opposed to a jump off, so to here you are on so little is a big victory and you should be very proud. A lot of ppl on boards like this say a full opiate (like oxycodone) taper down to miniscule amounts is guaranteed to fail given the addictive nature of hte drug, but you are proving it is working for you thus far which is really really awesome.

That being said, how do you feel right now? I would caution that with a full opiate taper, each dose is gonna make you feel good somewhat, so that serves as a constant temptation to break the taper, especially at the lower amounts as the taper catches up to you and you feel it more and more.

Perhaps give some consideration to just jumping from a 1 to 1.5 pill a day oxycodone habit to completely off? What are your doses of percocet.. are they the 5mg or 10mg oxycodone? Honestly, if you are able to get by on 10mg of oxycodone and less a day, if that were myself, that's just time to jump period, but that's myself. The short acting oxycodone isn't even covering you 12 hours out of the day if you are dosing twice a day AM/PM so your body is already getting by with little no drug in its system in between that final day's dose and the first dose the next day.

The biggest reasons I would just jump from a <10mg/day oxycodone habit would be 1) that's already such a low dose, even by the wussiest WD standards (we are all WD wusses), that's a low low dose and you are actually the first story I've heard of being able to wean down to such low doses but luckily you were also not on that much to begin with and; 2) If you are now at the point where you are starting to feel the burn, and it is intensifying a little tiny bit each day as the taper goes on, that's still a long drawn out taper you still got of like 10 days of feeling that burn and the oxycodone will be constantly tempting you with each dose as you finish out that taper in an attempt to avoid a full WD at the jump that will likely be much more mild than your brain is expecting if right now <10mg/day gets you by... not feel great, but gets you by.

That's just my 2 cents. Of course, read your own body and make your own decision. Even by the most conservative and sissy standards (we are all WD sissies), I think the vast majority of ppl (95%+) would all agree a <10mg oxy habit is well well within the range where just jumping is very sensible instead of trying to draw it out with <5mg doses and below.

Finally, only my opinion, but dont touch the kratom at this point at such low oxy doses. That would be like dropping a nuclear bomb to take out a storage shed at this point.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-23-2017 at 05:06 PM.

Dylberts is offline New Member

Hi sodabug!

Glad to hear such an optimsitic response from you & hope your regimen has continued as planned, with minor pains!

Opiates can definitely be the case of your shortness of breath, so just another reason why you've made the right choice deciding it's time to get off them for good!

I think everybody in the addiction tab of the forums can agree, RLS is terrible! Some people are fortunate to experience only minor spasms, but me however, it was the one reason I found myself retreating to opiates at times in the past.
    I've read on the forums about some form of root that can potentially be helpful to severe RLS, but unfortunately I only know so much off the word of others on here about it...

However, in the past prior to using Kratom (Which I understand everyone holds their own strong political opinion on) I used Lorazepam. I found taking 0.5-1mg of it helped calm my nerves, my RLS, and also put me to sleep. I highly recommend it, however, some people often times unknowingly create addictive habits with benzos and that's why I often times don't like to mention it. You're incredibly strong though when it comes to discipline! It may not hurt to discuss with your doctor if you're finding you still have some terrible RLS nights, like I did!

Going CT is a challenge, even on the lower half of the spectrum sometimes. Some people are capable of fighting through that hell, but I don't recommend it! Especially if you're busy with work, family, and life. It's too inconvenient.

You're set on getting off and that's all that matters! You've made AMAZING progress and should acknowledge that accomplishment. There's nothing wrong in continuing a slow and steady tapper regimen off, so don't feel guitly/bad!

I hold extremely high hopes for you and will continue to be here if you need any further support.

Keep kicking ass!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-24-2017 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylberts View Post
    Hi sodabug!

Glad to hear such an optimsitic response from you & hope your regimen has continued as planned, with minor pains!

Opiates can definitely be the case of your shortness of breath, so just another reason why you've made the right choice deciding it's time to get off them for good!

I think everybody in the addiction tab of the forums can agree, RLS is terrible! Some people are fortunate to experience only minor spasms, but me however, it was the one reason I found myself retreating to opiates at times in the past.
    I've read on the forums about some form of root that can potentially be helpful to severe RLS, but unfortunately I only know so much off the word of others on here about it...

However, in the past prior to using Kratom (Which I understand everyone holds their own strong political opinion on) I used Lorazepam. I found taking 0.5-1mg of it helped calm my nerves, my RLS, and also put me to sleep. I highly recommend it, however, some people often times unknowingly create addictive habits with benzos and that's why I often times don't like to mention it. You're incredibly strong though when it comes to discipline! It may not hurt to discuss with your doctor if you're finding you still have some terrible RLS nights, like I did!

Going CT is a challenge, even on the lower half of the spectrum sometimes. Some people are capable of fighting through that hell, but I don't recommend it! Especially if you're busy with work, family, and life. It's too inconvenient.

You're set on getting off and that's all that matters! You've made AMAZING progress and should acknowledge that accomplishment. There's nothing wrong in continuing a slow and steady tapper regimen off, so don't feel guitly/bad!

I hold extremely high hopes for you and will continue to be here if you need any further support.

Keep kicking ass!

Thank you so much!! That is kind of what I need to hear right now. I think I will just keep going slow. I am a teacher, so not being functional is not an option. I am really proud of myself. Day 5 of 1/5 today!! I actually feel pretty good today. Not amazing by any means, but decent. Leg pain went down a little last night and I actually slept!!! Not a full night, but about 6 hours total!!! That feels like a huge victory to me. I have a family birthday that I must attend Friday night, so I am trying to work around that, and hope that I can manage it ok. Long days are hard, and >>>>>> seating makes my back act up. Huge trigger for me, so I am probably going to wait until after that to go off completely.

My goal is to go off by May 4th (corny, but May the fourth be with me?!). Fingers crossed!!! I do think I am lucky to be able to control myself. I just hope that keeps on happening.

I would never wish withdrawal on anyone. It is just miserable.I keep thinking about those who are forced to go CT, and my I feel so bad. It sucks when it is a choice, let alone not a choice!!

Thanks for the advice and kind words!! Helps to motivate me and keep my spirits as up as they can be!!

Quote Originally Posted by dsh12345 View Post
    Hey, congratulations on your taper, that is has been working out and everything. You are on an incredibly low dose of percocet right now and that is a huge victory.

Tapering suboxone is common, but tapering regular full opiates is somewhat different. Most ppl taper down from a huge ridiculous dose (like 400mg a day of oxy) to something more sensible like 25-75mg/day and then jump. Very few stories out there of ppl that have been able to taper down full opiates to like miniscule single digit mg amounts and then step off the train gently as opposed to a jump off, so to here you are on so little is a big victory and you should be very proud. A lot of ppl on boards like this say a full opiate (like oxycodone) taper down to miniscule amounts is guaranteed to fail given the addictive nature of hte drug, but you are proving it is working for you thus far which is really really awesome.

That being said, how do you feel right now? I would caution that with a full opiate taper, each dose is gonna make you feel good somewhat, so that serves as a constant temptation to break the taper, especially at the lower amounts as the taper catches up to you and you feel it more and more.

Perhaps give some consideration to just jumping from a 1 to 1.5 pill a day oxycodone habit to completely off? What are your doses of percocet.. are they the 5mg or 10mg oxycodone? Honestly, if you are able to get by on 10mg of oxycodone and less a day, if that were myself, that's just time to jump period, but that's myself. The short acting oxycodone isn't even covering you 12 hours out of the day if you are dosing twice a day AM/PM so your body is already getting by with little no drug in its system in between that final day's dose and the first dose the next day.

The biggest reasons I would just jump from a <10mg/day oxycodone habit would be 1) that's already such a low dose, even by the wussiest WD standards (we are all WD wusses), that's a low low dose and you are actually the first story I've heard of being able to wean down to such low doses but luckily you were also not on that much to begin with and; 2) If you are now at the point where you are starting to feel the burn, and it is intensifying a little tiny bit each day as the taper goes on, that's still a long drawn out taper you still got of like 10 days of feeling that burn and the oxycodone will be constantly tempting you with each dose as you finish out that taper in an attempt to avoid a full WD at the jump that will likely be much more mild than your brain is expecting if right now <10mg/day gets you by... not feel great, but gets you by.

That's just my 2 cents. Of course, read your own body and make your own decision. Even by the most conservative and sissy standards (we are all WD sissies), I think the vast majority of ppl (95%+) would all agree a <10mg oxy habit is well well within the range where just jumping is very sensible instead of trying to draw it out with <5mg doses and below.

Finally, only my opinion, but dont touch the kratom at this point at such low oxy doses. That would be like dropping a nuclear bomb to take out a storage shed at this point.

Thank you! My main concern is a family bday this Friday. Can't be out of commission, so I will prob wait until afterward. RLS is the worst!! I feel so much for those who have it their whole lives. Ugh.

I feel pretty good today actually. Not even close to normal by any means, but for withdrawal, I feel like I can make it through the day.
    Thank you for the kind and supportive words! I am definitely a WD wussie!! =)

Thank you! My main concern is a family bday this Friday. Can't be out of commission, so I will prob wait until afterward. RLS is the worst!! I feel so much for those who have it their whole lives. Ugh.

I feel pretty good today actually. Not even close to normal by any means, but for withdrawal, I feel like I can make it through the day.
    Thank you for the kind and supportive words! I am definitely a WD wussie!! =)
    No problem. Like I said, read your body, read your unique life circumstances, and make your own informed decision.

Reminding you again...... a jump from <10mg oxycodone is a lot smaller deal than you are making it out to be. I can almost guarantee (will never guarantee) that you will look back in a week and smile that you were even that concerned about the jump to begin with.

The RLS can be a big mental battle as well. Don't exacerbate it by thinking it's there or much worse than it isn't.

I agree with dsh on all but the Kratom. I just personally think it would be hard to regulate or take an 'appropriate' dose. Clonodine may help for the RLS. I think it sounds like you are ready to jump unless you want to soak the remain pill in liquid (not sure if you can do that with what you are taking) and taper down further. And yes the RLS is something else...sounds like you are doing great. As Ricky says- slow and steady wins the race!

Last night was a really hard night. I had the worst leg pain. Always my right leg that is the problem. Anxiety. Hardly slept at all. Tried to just go down to 1/2 in the morn, and 1/2 early evening, but I gave in and took another 1/2 around midnight just so I could try to sleep and to reduce the leg pain some. This is what I am worried about when I make the jump. The leg pain is so bad!! Now at work, and feel so tired. At least the leg pain has mellowed for now. It is so frustrating to feel like you are managing, and thinking that you can beat this, and then have a night like last night. This whole thing is so hard!! I am going to keep plugging away. Hope tonight is better then last night. Thanks for all the support peeps!

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Last night was a really hard night. I had the worst leg pain. Always my right leg that is the problem. Anxiety. Hardly slept at all. Tried to just go down to 1/2 in the morn, and 1/2 early evening, but I gave in and took another 1/2 around midnight just so I could try to sleep and to reduce the leg pain some. This is what I am worried about when I make the jump. The leg pain is so bad!! Now at work, and feel so tired. At least the leg pain has mellowed for now. It is so frustrating to feel like you are managing, and thinking that you can beat this, and then have a night like last night. This whole thing is so hard!! I am going to keep plugging away. Hope tonight is better then last night. Thanks for all the support peeps!
    sodabug, you will not know what your true and accurate pain level is until you are off the opiates for a month or two? Most people find that their pain is not as bad and pretty well managed with OTC pain relievers? You can research opiate induced pain to better understand what I'm referring to?

You can use the vitamins and supplements in the Thomas Recipe for Opiate Withdrawal just do not use the benzo as suggested! Benzos are EXTREMELY addictive, even more so than Kratom, you do not want to trade one addiction for another! Here's a link to the Thomas Recipe - https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...wal-35169.html

To help with the restless legs you'll wanna take a potassium supplement and eat alot of potassium rich foods like bananas and avocados! Also a great source of potassium is coconut water. I did read that you're taking the Hyland's Restful Legs? (they also carry Hyland's Leg Cramps PM)... These products certainly can help with the RLS and leg pain? If the RLS gets really bad you can try heating pads set on low and wrapped around your legs, a long time senior member named Catrina (Cat) did this when she experienced RLS and she said it helped alot?

Hyland's also makes Nerve Tonic and Calm Forte which can help with anxiety and stress, the Calm Forte also helps with sleep.

Keep on keepin on! Take care... God bless us all!

PS
    These symptoms you're experiencing are being dragged out by the fast and aggressive taper. It's like you're in a constant state of mild withdrawal. I'm in agreement with dsh, it would be best to jump off now so you don't have to drag these symptoms out any longer than necessary! Your journey, your choice though? Just my opinion...

Thank you! I am taking potassium and magnesium. Pretty much taking a whole bunch of supplements! Yes, definitely in mild withdrawal all the time, however am trying to time this so that I can be home from work for 3 days in a row to make the jump, and that is next Friday- Sunday! Most days it is totally manageable. It is the night time that I struggle the most. I know it is expected, it just gets frustrating to be doing fairly well for a few days, and them BAM! I hit a wall one night. I should just be grateful most of the time it is doable.

Is it weird that it is only my right leg that bugs me? I have a bad back, which I why I was on pain pills in the first place. Part of me wonders if leg pain is related to back, or if it is part of withdrawal. I had right leg issues even while on pain medicine. But maybe that was just my bodies way of trying to get me to take more meds. I guess I won't know till after I have been off all pills for awhile.

Good news is I feel better today. I am able to wait 2-3 hours before taking my first 1/2, so that makes me feel good.

I have been using all the things you mentioned and have not used benzos or kratom. I don't want to trade one thing for another. I am not against either, just for me, I don't want to wean off another thing once I am done with this.

One moment at a time.....

Thank you! I am taking potassium and magnesium. Pretty much taking a whole bunch of supplements! Yes, definitely in mild withdrawal all the time, however am trying to time this so that I can be home from work for 3 days in a row to make the jump, and that is next Friday- Sunday! Most days it is totally manageable. It is the night time that I struggle the most. I know it is expected, it just gets frustrating to be doing fairly well for a few days, and them BAM! I hit a wall one night. I should just be grateful most of the time it is doable.

Is it weird that it is only my right leg that bugs me? I have a bad back, which I why I was on pain pills in the first place. Part of me wonders if leg pain is related to back, or if it is part of withdrawal. I had right leg issues even while on pain medicine. But maybe that was just my bodies way of trying to get me to take more meds. I guess I won't know till after I have been off all pills for awhile.

Good news is I feel better today. I am able to wait 2-3 hours before taking my first 1/2, so that makes me feel good.

I have been using all the things you mentioned and have not used benzos or kratom. I don't want to trade one thing for another. I am not against either, just for me, I don't want to wean off another thing once I am done with this.

One moment at a time.....

You can look at it this way... each second of discomfort is signal from your brain to reduce tolerance and eventually get to the point where tolerance is zero and it can get by with nothing, each second the drug is in your system and makes you feel good your brain is getting used to feel normal on that dose (building tolerance instead of reducing tolerance).

Each second of burn during your taper is your brain trying to get by on less and less opiates, so that is less burn you gotta pay down the line at the final jump. It's like putting discomfort into the bank and racking up a certain amount until you've finally hit your goal of losing all your tolerance. So, the discomfort you've felt in the last couple days and last week due to the taper isn't being wasted... it will all come in handy during the jump as your brain will only have to make a smaller hop from what it is used to down to nothing, as opposed to a huge leap from massive amounts of opiates it was used to down to nothing.

Of course, don't get stuck in a cycle where you are stuck taking 1/2 pill here and there due to being terrified of finally jumping... you will get stuck in a cycle that won't end because the body is constnatly chasing the opiates.

Circle that jump date with a big red marker, prepare your mental energy each day in preparation for that day, and make that jump. I am rooting for you.

Thank you so much! I appreciate the support. It really is helpful. I am rooting for me too!! =)

I sure hope there is a payoff when I make the jump. May 4th is my goal! May the 4th be with me.....lol

May the 4th be with you sodabug! You can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Justfortodaytx View Post
    May the 4th be with you sodabug! You can do it!
    Thank you! I hope so. Had an updated MRI last week, which confirmed my leg pain is not in my head. Have a protrusion (among other issues) on L5-S1, which causes my lower back and leg issues.

I am still on just 1.5 a day because the pain gets really bad as the day goes on. Laying down at night aggravates my leg. I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place!! At least I know the pain is real and leg issue is not from tapering.. Doctor had me talk to a podiatrist last week, and he actually wants to fix me rather then mask the pain, so that is giving me hope that there will be a solution. Fingers crossed he really does fight for me! He thinks I should be eligible for surgery, so we will see what happens. Scary- but I would love to be repaired.

I should add, we are going to try cortizone shot (again) first, which have not worked for me in the past. Although before I had issue in L4-L5 which apparently is better, and have new issue in L5-S1. Personally, my symptoms have always been the same so I think they mis-diagnosed on my first MRI all those years ago. Hopefully shot will work this time.

I had my original doc give me 5 steroid shots which never worked and had terrible back pain like you, then switched pm doc. I told him I would give him 1 shot at it. Have 2 fractures in my mud thoracic (inoperable) and a tear at l5-s1 just like you.

My advice- get your pcp referral for a second opinion and don't be afraid to fire your pm. I am so glad I did and gave it one more chance. Personally I think a podiatrist is a waste of time and would look for the best pm (conservative, preferrably a DO) or orthopedist. Don't give in to drugs! You got this!

I do like my regular doctor. He was not with me at the beginning, and he is supportive of me.

I made it through Friday, in which I had an evening event that I had to attend, and managed to not take more then what I was allowing myself that day (1.5 percocet for the day). I had been worried about being able to survive, and I did! On Saturday and Sunday I only had 1/2 around 11 a.m., and 1/2 around 5:30. The pain is pretty bad, and I feel like I live between a 4 and a 6 on scale. I have gone up to 17 hours between the 5:30- 11:00 before taking 1/2 a pill, and mentally was doing well. Was not having withdrawal symptoms, which is good. I just gave in because of the pain being so bad.

Still pushing for Thursday to be my last day on percocet. Since I can go 17 hours without withdrawal, maybe it will be ok?
    Hoping it is not too bad. I see my doctor today, so maybe he has something non-narcotic to help with pain. fingers crossed!!

I do like my regular doctor. He was not with me at the beginning, and he is supportive of me.

I made it through Friday, in which I had an evening event that I had to attend, and managed to not take more then what I was allowing myself that day (1.5 percocet for the day). I had been worried about being able to survive, and I did! On Saturday and Sunday I only had 1/2 around 11 a.m., and 1/2 around 5:30. The pain is pretty bad, and I feel like I live between a 4 and a 6 on scale. I have gone up to 17 hours between the 5:30- 11:00 before taking 1/2 a pill, and mentally was doing well. Was not having withdrawal symptoms, which is good. I just gave in because of the pain being so bad.

Still pushing for Thursday to be my last day on percocet. Since I can go 17 hours without withdrawal, maybe it will be ok?
    Hoping it is not too bad. I see my doctor today, so maybe he has something non-narcotic to help with pain. fingers crossed!!
    You are gonna have rebound pain during your taper and the first 1-2 weeks or even longer up to 4 weeks after stopping the opiates. Your brain develops tolerance as you take more opiates and needs more to feel all the effects - the high, the pain control, etc and so pain that used to be controlled on say 1 tab a day will be throbbing at 5 tabs a day if you just suddenly cut down from say a habit of 10 tabs to 5 tabs suddenly. I hope non-opiate attempts to control the pain work out during this crucial period. Stay strong, realize that opiates for chronic pain again have no end game - you just keep going up and up on the dose and so it is nonsustainable and opiates will very soon become a much bigger problem than the pain.... of course I think you obviously realize that now of course.

Quote Originally Posted by dsh12345 View Post
    You are gonna have rebound pain during your taper and the first 1-2 weeks or even longer up to 4 weeks after stopping the opiates. Your brain develops tolerance as you take more opiates and needs more to feel all the effects - the high, the pain control, etc and so pain that used to be controlled on say 1 tab a day will be throbbing at 5 tabs a day if you just suddenly cut down from say a habit of 10 tabs to 5 tabs suddenly. I hope non-opiate attempts to control the pain work out during this crucial period. Stay strong, realize that opiates for chronic pain again have no end game - you just keep going up and up on the dose and so it is nonsustainable and opiates will very soon become a much bigger problem than the pain.... of course I think you obviously realize that now of course.

Thought I would update as it has been awhile. I got stuck at .5 pill in morning and .5 in evening. Took me awhile, but today makes two weeks narcotic free! Had epidural this morning so in a lot of pain for my two week anniversary, but I will not be taking any pain pills. It will be better tomorrow- just have to try and be patient. I am proud I finally got there, mentally it hasn't been too hard, but my body is causing me issues that make things a challenge. This is all normal I know- but I believe in myself. Thanks for all the support!! 2 weeks!!!