Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
tapering off percocets, method seems to help...
    artist99 is offline Banned

Default tapering off percocets, method seems to help...

Hello all, I've been reading these forums for months and finally decided to post.

Same old story, injury to my back and fifteen months later and an up and down pill problem.
    I've known I need to stop these things for a long time. I have been up to close to 100 mg per day. I have been getting them from my pain doctor and a family member.
    I went off them once by tapering. It was a rough week then I had nearly three days of feeling great....couldn't get enough sex btw, that felt incredible. Anyway, then don't ya know more pills. 120x10 mg from the doctor and 75 ir 20mg oxy from my family member...great for snorting. Went through that stash in less than a month.
    Here's my reason for this thread......I also got a couple dozen 30mg morphine extended release. I'm out of percs and Oxy and had some of these extended release morphine pills which provide no high at all. I've taken very small amounts of them by cutting them into quarters. Doing this has virtually eliminated the effects I felt the first time I tapered off.
    I have cravings, some, though mild they are there. I attribute these morphine pills for reducing the cravings.

Anyone else experience this and am I still going to hit a wall?
    Before you answer.........
    I've gone from somewhere close to 100 mg a day for a year down to about 7.5 mg every 12 to 18 hours with very little ill effect.

Please share your thoughts..and hang in there all.

I want to get back to the place where simple things made me smile with joy....I hate this stuff.

Sundwn is offline Member

Everyone's different man. When it comes to CT, WD,s, and recovery. It's hard to say. Age plays a big part on one,s ETA when it comes to feeling normal again. Also the amount and strength of the addicts DOC..... So again, as far as your hitting a wall?.....the factors I have posted play a big part in that.........anyway, hang tuff and go easy man. Someone will post on here with more answers. I am sure..........SD

Thanks for the reply.

So far I've had some cravings....the old nagging thought my brain telling me I'm messing up and I need pain medicine asap. Funny how this stuff messes with the brain.
    Also, I've had chills, actually going through a fairly strong spell of them now.
    Other than that just a list of aches and pains and very little energy.
    That said, I did decide to tear down a bathroom wall and start a remodel of my master bath....should keep me busy.

Thanks again.

Sundwn is offline Member

Well no doubt you are a young Buck. If your remodeling a bathroom and you've knock your dosage down that much and still have the NRG to tackle a job like that. Then yea, you must have youth on your side. That's good.....and yes, these friggin opiates take away the most wonderful of all sensations...sex. Amazing how everyone talks about the NRG they give you. Yet the natural urge for sex takes a back seat. But when you finally lift the curtain and the play( ct,s, wd,s, rls, etc ) is over. The want for sexual interaction comes back with a vengeance. And you wonder. Why in the h$$ would I want to lose that?.........anyway, I don't know much about the " morphene " meds. But Artist if you want to go to that happy clear thinking place you mentioned in your post.........ya gotta stop it all dude......Sounds like you want to......I hope you do... SD

Sundwn, thanks again for the reply (ies) ....it feels good to talk to someone, or converse with in whatever means.
    I'm 41, not that young, but I'm good physical shape. Eat right etc.

I just figured I need something to keep me focused and busy. So, why not tear a wall down and build something!,

I'll vouch the sex comments...I can already feel the changes. Changes for the better. I never ever ever thought sex could be replaced by a drug.

Thanks again!

Well, I'm feeling it now. This sucks, but, It's necessary to get to the other side.

The Husband is offline Member

Work through it I ct or 80mg oxy had bad WD for 10 days. Then you start feeling better. I am 23+ weeks off
    pillpoppn likes this.

Thanks for the reply.
    I must say today was the most difficult. Two nights no sleep and a strong amount of physical pain. Emotional too. Been watching the winter Olympics to keep my mind off things when not working.
    I hope I can sleep tonight.

heyzeuss is offline New Member

I have a post below very similar. the 30 mg morphine sulphates seem to be perfect for quitting because they provide no high at all but they do put opiates in your receptors. I cant figure out how to taper them but it sounds like my dose was very similar to yours. I had gone 23 days at one time and no end in sight from the withdrawls. anyway I am starting this morphine taper in a few days. I guess....I will try starting at 60 mg 4 days, down to 30 mg 4 days and start reducing it by 5 mg a day.
    shrug...
    wish us both luck.

Heyzuess,
    You a fan of the movie die hard? I ask because of your name you've chosen.

Thanks for the well wishes and taking your time to reply.

I used the morphine to taper and I'm convinced it helped. I tapered once before because I ran out and had to. It was very rough. I used nothing but percocet then.

This time I tapered because I don't wish to continue these drugs. They slowly, but surely, take the person you were and change us into someone else. I didn't like that person I was.
    I'm done with this stuff.

Today I woke up feeling a LOT better. Several days clean and using the small doses of morphine to taper, and only then taking them when I absolutely had to.
    It has worked.

I turned a corner for the better over night. Last night was hell for discomfort. That was my third night in a row of no sleep, however, I finally fell asleep around 4am. When I woke at a little after 8 I knew right away i was feeling better.

The best part?????? It was over an hour and a half before I realized I hadn't even thought of the drug or getting my first dose of the day which I've previously always looked forward to!!!
    That's a first for me in over a year!!!!

Good luck to you and all of us.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-14-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: mistyped

great!!
    I seem to have an ocassional good day in between the bad ones. of course, I wasn't trying to taper then.
    keep on posting the progress. I will start this process in a few days.
    heyzeus is just an alternate spelling of the Spanish pronunciation of jesus.
    long story there. :-)

Hang in there everyone. On the other side of withdrawals is an amazing place.

I've turned a great corner and cannot hardly believe how, mentally and physically, I'm feeling.

Push through everyone who's fighting that little pill, you Can do it and its worth it.

Its up and down. Last night I felt great, today, so so.
    That's a horribly strong drug.
    What a demon.

tom27 is offline Member

how you holding up man,what day you on now day 32 here ,been keeping my self extremly busy ,just jumping in to check on you, stay strong

Tom

so are you tapering? or have you quit?

Tapering ended days ago.
    Some symptoms coming and going in waves sometimes. Other symptoms are constant such as no energy, pain from joints, especially waste down.
    My legs are damn near useless.

Everyday I'm getting better and the cravings less.

Thanks guys!

Sundwn is offline Member

Artist, your doing great man. All those symptoms suck. But it's just your body repairing itself. Have you tried any OTC meds for rls or pain? I called my physician and he Rx,d me 800 mills of ibuprofen. It really helped. Now I take nothing. Once the pills and symptoms,there of, went away. So did any pain I thought I had. Psychosomatic >>>>, no doubt. Hang tough bro. Proud of you man.......SD

SD, thanks for that. This stuff sucks.

Man I wrote a huge reply and it didn't post. That's twice that's happened.

I had strong cravings last night but beat it. This morning I woke feeling good, the best I've felt since I began beating this thing.

I'm past seven days now.

It's getting better. Hang in there everyone.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-18-2014 at 11:07 AM.

I'd like to add that I know one of the triggers that spurred my cravings last night, so I think.
    I watched the movie Lord of War yesterday. Lot of snorting in the movie.

It's amazing how my body seems to be recovering. Simple things that I've forgotten. Things such as the sensation of a cold drink and how it feels.
    Those pills slowly took so many sensations away or dulled them greatly.

They are like a self administered virus that took over my body and mind.

blazer54 is offline New Member

Ok. I am trying to start weaning g myself off of Peacock 10..5 to 6 a day, Soma 3 x day and Neuron tin 3 x day. I am obviously addicted because I like taking 2 or 2 1/2 at a time of perks. But come mid month I have to start cutting back so I can make it til renewal. Does anyone have any home remedies or suggestions on how to do this? I babysit my grand daughter 5 days a week. Have had 2 back surgeries and been on these pills for 6 years.

blazer54 is offline New Member

I posted I had been taking peacock . My phone spelled it for me. I have been on Percocet . 10 mg 5 to 6 x day for 6 yrs. Want off them!

how long did you taper? what was your schedule. started mine today.

Blazer, I sometimes had to taper too. Every month a new Dr batch and my family sources for stronger stuff kept me in a fog. Little by little I was losing myself.

SD (and Blazer) find a taper that works for you. I am certain I could have done this with less discomfort by tapering slowly but I found myself eager to face this demon. For months I've wanted the begging of the end of this chapter in my life to come. I found myself wanting the fight. I seen that I would run out of my scripts and my family supply around the same time, so I decided that was the marker that would serve as the end.

When I ran out of the oxy and percs I cut 30 mg morphine er into quarters and started taking them when I was bad but not more than two in a day. Only once did I take 15 mg in a day.
    I only did that for three days then I flushed the morphine, over twenty of them.
    A week prior to running out of oxy and perc I started backing off them. Looking back I can see my wds started in that week. They got tougher around day two or three of having nothing.

I'm feeling so much better as I write this.

I want to go dancing and find three or four women to play with for a night!

First, I'll finish the bathroom I've torn apart!!!

It's doable guys.

Sundwn is offline Member

Artist 99, .....you sound good bud. Congrats on flushing the meds. Not an easy thing to do for many of us....you mentioned in a couple of posts up for Blazer and SD ( me ) to find a taper that works for us. Actually, I am at 48 days clean from a 240 to 300 a month narco nightmare that lasted about 1-1/2 years. Sadly this is my third ct....and quite honestly, the worst. It lasted about 3 weeks all told. I won't go into my " war stories" we all have them. So no need to bore you with mine....But I am doing great. The last week to 10 days have been phenomenal. I'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes someone posted here a couple of years back. Referring to a post CT ordeal. They said..." In 30 days its going to be a good idea to take a pill "..... Food for thought bro......go easy man......Sd

Believe14 is offline New Member

Default Day 4 w/out Percocets

So this is my 1st time posting anything. It was very difficult to admit I had a problem and when I realized how much I was taking I scared myself. I have a family and I try to do it all. The medicine became a crutch after major back surgery and I started lying to myself about my level of pain. The 1st three days were awful. I was soooo sick and thank goodness I work from home. I had every flu symptom you can imagine. Today has been the best day in so long; however, I realized something today. I can't do everything anymore and I forgot about what I want out of life. I think the medicine helped suppress the things I didn't want to face anymore. I was working from early morning till late night and making great money. The family has everything and things were great but I think I started feeling the pressure to keep up with everything so when I became ill with my back I collapsed. We have a beautiful home and awesome children so I want to make it work. I do see the light at the end of the tunnel but I wanted to share my story and to say thank you to everyone who posted on this site. It has kept me going by reading everyones own symptoms,etc. So important when you have no one to share your withdraws with. TY:-)

yeah, the hard part is to get ready for triggers. kids yell, wife gets mad, something in the house breaks and you realize that you used pills to deal with these things before. it may be a while before the itch to use stops coming back when temporary stresses introduce themselves.

Roosta23 is offline New Member

i agree with heyzeuss about those triggers, as i am tapering too fast this week (cut my 120mg oxy to 60mg)
    went to get haircut today and line was 3 people deep so i took off all stressed and irtritated at something so small and was tempted to use...physically i am handling dose reduction but mentally i wonder if its too taxing on the mind and does that mental stress carry over and compound with the next days stress, thus making me more susceptible to relapse?

Smile Day 7

Thanks for everyone's support!!! Yes, I do need to take it easy for a long time. I felt terrible yesterday and started to cry but I went to my sons basketball game and felt better. Today is a work day and my to do list is 1/3 of what it used to be. I am not sure what the outcome will be of doing that but it's what's needed to help me through a difficult time. I finally shared my condition with my husband and he thinks I am too hard on myself. He really believes I needed the medicine(which I did at one time) and I am maybe over reacting. I know what I was doing and how I felt so I love him more than anything but I was an addict. Thanks again everyone for your awesome support!!! By they way, I have prayed everyday....even if you don't believe try it!!!

pillpoppn is offline Banned

**DAY 5**

This thread sounds so much like my journey; I can relate to everyone. My addiction to pain pills started with codeine, then perks, then oxy and I must say opiates are the devil. They have near destroyed all things that are important to my life; the things I have worked so hard for and I may be facing bankruptcy.

It's a bittersweet thing when you can actually stand up and fight the beast. I've had some bad, bad moments in my detox but I've had some glorious moments full of joy and gratitude... knowing that I'm at a new beginning, knowing that the struggle is almost over.

I can relate to all of the withdrawal symptoms and I commend you guys for doing it!!!!

Today @ Day 5 I'm feeling pretty emotional and in a lot of physical pain so I'm trying to stay preoccupied until my bf/caregiver comes home from school!

Since I've been alone for the first time in detox; I am starting to obsess about the pills so I'm really trying to stay comfortable, calm and connected.

Thank you all for your words of hope and good luck on your journey!!

PP

Default Accomplishment

Today was the BEST day so far. Lots of side effects are now gone and my spirits are up most of the time. I can feel myself regrouping without taking medicine. I was really proud of myself. So the idea of cutting the to do list worked. Praying for everyone who is part of this forum. Good Night!
    pillpoppn likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast