Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TerryHeaton
Tapering Oxycodone
    TerryHeaton is offline New Member

Default Tapering Oxycodone

These forums have been a big help to me in the past, but I have a question today that I hope somebody can answer. I am tapering oxy after being on it for 5 years. Hip surgery went wrong. Long story.

A month ago, I was taking 60mg of oxy and one Dilaudid 12mg time release tablet a day. I'm off the dilaudid, which I did cold turkey. It was tough, but the oxy helped me through. I'm now down to 30mg a day and doing fairly well. I've asked my pain management doctor, who's supervising the tapering, if I could switch to 5mg tablets instead of the 10mg tablets I'm taking. I'm thinking it makes more sense to spread the stuff out as I go from 3-a-day to 2-a-day to 1-a-day and then zero. The doctor disagrees and says to stay on the 10mg tabs. What I don't know is a medical explanation (or a logical one) why it's better to stick with the 10mg tabs going through the last couple weeks of tapering. I'm hoping somebody here has an explanation or a guess. I got a pretty good buzz after taking my first pill this morning, and that hasn't happened in years, so I'm actually and for real getting off this stuff. The side effects, especially mood and energy related, became worse than the hip pain, which I've really learned to deal with, thanks to this particular doctor's practice (they teach a more holistic approach to pain management).

Marvathree is offline Junior Member

It doesn't sound like u are abusing them so perhaps the doc knows the best way. If you are taking instant release can u just try cutting a few doses in half? Don't do this if I are on time release. Maybe try skipping a dose or two. I was never good at taper I just had to jump off. You sound like a taper will work with no withdrawls. There is a difference between addiction and dependence. I'm an addict and you r dependent so u can taper virtually pain free. Ask your doc fir the full taper plan and ask why if u think it is not quick enough. You are paying him and he works for you. In other words you r the boss and he needs to tell u what he is doing and why. Best of luck

Thanks, Marvathree. I'm down to 2-a-day, but I am cutting them in half. I am most definitely an addict (long story), and I'd be lying if I said I "only" took these for pain relief. They can and do effectively change mood - for awhile. I'm having withdrawal symptoms when the effect of even 5 mgs starts to wear off, and I'm beginning to think I need to just jump off at this point and deal with 3 awful days. I don't see my doctor again for 3 weeks, and I'd love to go in there free. He wants me on a pain pump for my hip. I'm not sure I want an implant. The pain is something I've recently learned to deal with. Thanks again. Terry
    Daverss likes this.

Marvathree is offline Junior Member

Honestly, I tried to taper once last year and it was just endless withdrawls. I would say just jump and get it over with. Day one sux. Day two I felt a tad better. Day three I woke up in agony but it passed. Had about six hours and thought it was done and it came back. It's passing again. It will be over soon You are down low so it will be easier. I jumped at 100 mgs on an avg day. Higher when I had more. Just prepare. Get what u need and get rid of all pills on hand. I took Xanax naproxen Tylenol b12 multivitamin and gabapentin. Bought Imodium but really didn't need it yet. Seems like most do though. Only needed benzos three times this weekend and only took a low dose to sleep. I think the gabapentin really helps. People here will support u when u jump

Daverss is offline Member

IMO Sounds like 'You feel it's time to Quit' Cool.
    I was gonna say just break the 10's in half ,but you beat me to it.

That "buzz" comment worries me. Actually Envious .LOL- but Not Really LOL.
    but
    like I said you Want to Quit & IMO Really Really Wanting to Quit is 90% of it.
    Sounds like your doing well, & that Pain Pump Thing , I think you know in your heart what to say about that.
    GL
    Really..
    Typed with Nicotine Stained Fingers

Daverss, thanks much for your note. Yeah, I think really wanting it has to be there, if one is going to make the jump. The tapering has been very helpful. It was nothing compared to cold-turkey with the dilaudid. I can do this. Monday is my jump day. I hope to feel better by Wednesday. I know there are long term symptoms that I'll still have to deal with. The most disturbing one right now is low energy. Damn!

I hear what you're saying about the pain pump, but I also trust this particular doctor. He's the guy who convinced me that opiates is a dead end. The pain pump uses a finely-tuned combination of drugs delivered directly to my spine with no effects whatsoever on the brain. I know several people who have them. I'm not saying I'm going to do that, but I think I owe it to myself, as a chronic pain sufferer, to at least do the test injection and see what happens. The truth is that opiates had virtually zero impact on my particular type of positional pain. I cannot lift my right leg - like in putting on socks - without a searing blast of unbearable pain. If the pump can actually treat that, I'm in, because my quality of life will be dramatically different. If it doesn't do anything with the pain, then I'm no worse off and actually MUCH better off, because I'm not taking the opiates.

sd8899 is offline New Member

I tapered off my 10mg oxys They were prescribed 4 times a day and when I got down to a half three times a day for 5 days I jumped. which was yesterday. My last was yesterday morning at 4am. I had some bad WD yesterday and last night but today hasn't been that bad. I did talk to my DR and he said not to use Imodium. He said it would take longer to withdraw because it also works on the brain receptors. He recommended Peptobismol. I'm going through the same thing you are. I've had 6 spinal surgeries and been on these damn pills for ten years. I ended up taking them more to stop withdrawls than for the pain. I hope I don't have to ever go back on any type of pain management but I'm looking at several more surgeries down the road. Good luck.

Thanks, SD. Hang in there, buddy.

The pain clinic I use also offers a remarkable set of 12 classes of coping with pain. It's spiritually-based, and let me tell you, it has really help me in the management of my pain. I learned all about the pain-tension cycle and how to prevent that from raising my pain levels. I'm now in a completely different place personally, and that, more than anything else, has helped me in this process. Pain is pain. It's how we react to it that matters. Keep the faith and thanks again.

justbeingme is offline Member

Really seems like tapering is different for each individual. Combination of mental and physical symptoms. My Gf is a good example of " I want off but I need something for my legitimate pain". Not quit ready to get off even knowing that the pills may be contributing to the pain. And of course the anxiety of loss of " best friend (pills). I think I see her in constant minor WD's because of tapering. What works for someone may not work for all.But I do admire anyone who is trying to get their life back.

Lillew45 is offline New Member

Default Quitting

Quote Originally Posted by justbeingme View Post
    Really seems like tapering is different for each individual. Combination of mental and physical symptoms. My Gf is a good example of " I want off but I need something for my legitimate pain". Not quit ready to get off even knowing that the pills may be contributing to the pain. And of course the anxiety of loss of " best friend (pills). I think I see her in constant minor WD's because of tapering. What works for someone may not work for all.But I do admire anyone who is trying to get their life back.
    I am a 22 year old guy and I work a full time job, I take up to 300 mg of oxycodine a day need help I can't go to rehab I got out of prison last year and was doing great until I hurt my back then I was back to the races now I have. $200-$300 a day habit and need advice please

Lillew45, I recommend you start your own thread. You're way beyond anything I can help you with, but the good news is there are people here who actually had is worse than you.

I went to play golf yesterday and could only last 8 holes. The fatigue from withdrawing from opiates is damned real, and I almost really hurt myself. It pissed me off enough to allow me to make the jump today. I just want it over with. Good luck to everybody here.

slouisa is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by TerryHeaton View Post
    Thanks, SD. Hang in there, buddy.

The pain clinic I use also offers a remarkable set of 12 classes of coping with pain. It's spiritually-based, and let me tell you, it has really help me in the management of my pain. I learned all about the pain-tension cycle and how to prevent that from raising my pain levels. I'm now in a completely different place personally, and that, more than anything else, has helped me in this process. Pain is pain. It's how we react to it that matters. Keep the faith and thanks again.
    Is there any way you can elaborate on this any more, or is there any references you can give? I'm really trying to learn to cope with pain--it isn't going away unless I take oxy--and I find tension to be an escalator.

Slouisa, I'll share what I can. The top (TOP) problem that chronic pain sufferers face is called the "pain-tension" cycle (Google it). We actually make our pain worse through a whole host of things that "get to us" on the inside and crank up the pain-tension cycle. The key is to learn how to stop that before it impacts you. This requires that you own your pain and not blame anything or anybody for it. It's there. It sucks. But it's not the end of life, and if we want quality of life, we must beat this pain-tension cycle. Dr. George uses a prop of a stuffed dragon that he calls "the pain dragon" whereby he creates a metaphor that he's out to get us. We have the choice to live in his cave as dragon poop or to rise up against him spiritually, mentally and physically, knowing that we are very often the author of his presence. In the process of taking these classes, I actually learned that there are ways to cope with pain that don't include reaching for a pill.

Here are the books he recommended:

Boundaries, by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend (teaches how to deal with people)
    Safe People, by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend
    Learning to Master Your Chronic Pain, by Robert N. Jamison
    Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions
    Managing Pain Before It Manages You, by Margaret A. Caudill, MD, PhD

These are all available from http://www.abebooks.com/ for a few bucks each.

I wish you Godspeed and good luck,

Terry

This is day three of jumping off, and I'm feeling so much better. Honestly, given the tapering I had done previously, this was only about 60 hours of really SEVERE problems, the biggest, for me, being incredible fatigue, diarrhea, sour stomach and the shakes (couldn't feel warm). I took xanax, especially for sleep, imodium, and acetaminophen. I won't declare myself free until tomorrow, but day three is starting off very well. Thank God!!