Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree41Likes
Teacher’s Story
    Beefaroni7272 is offline Platinum Member

How's it going teach? Gotta be getting close to jump day huh!!! I know you're excited. I am too!! Can't wait for you to get there. Easy peasy, a few days of discomfort for the rest of your life!!! Hydrate, stay moving, bananas!!! Got your go bag ready?? Thomas recipe for opiate withdrawal??? All those things will make this just a little bit better.

We're so proud of you buddy!! You got this!! Keep doing the next right thing!!
    Post whenever you can
    Beef
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Forceout is offline Member

Hey Teach,

Just flying by to say hello!!! It's a brand new day!! Hope all is going well as you head down the the diving board getting ready to Juuummp!!!

As always I am so exited for you. I had it said to me on here it feels like an expecting parent.......about to see a newborn!!!!

So awesome the wonderful life coming for you!! Give us a shout when you get a minute.

Forceout

Thomas543 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Forceout View Post
    Hey Thomas,

I know I've said this a bunch but wow, I am so excited for you!! Your story is starting to read so much like mine it is incredible!!!

My thread in Need To Talk is long but the first several days of it starts when I was at the end of my taper. If you haven't read it you might take a look....allllll the same stuff !!! Called "Forceout needs......". Started by Catrina.

Also, I was gonna comment about the pain.....you may remember I've been through the ringer with injuries etc. I thought the pain would be so bad I could not stand it without meds. So wrong that was!! A brace, exercise, and some heat was all I ended up needing. Maybe some Advil occasionally. Incredible!!!!!!!

One more thing, your body might take a little time to start helping with the endorphin production and other things that help you naturally deal with discomfort. This is a very normal thing. You probably know already but the body and brain run a little behind when the opiates leave so be patient near the end of the taper and immediately following. Your pain issues will get much better before long. Mine did bigtime.

Going to sleep but had to check in and say way to go!! You are a warrior my friend. So proud of you for taking your life back ....keep it up!

Forceout
    He, brother

I feel GREAT. I’m excited, I feel like I have a new lease on life...and it really IS like an expectant mother like Beef said (I think)...I’m eager for the NEW ME in the New Year. Being down to 1.5 - 2.0 per day on halves only...seems like a dream. I went out to dinner with my dad, sister and extended family at a very busy and popular restaurant down in this area...and I had nothing with me (I ALWAYS carried backup pills with me)...and was there and all the way back home with zero change in my feeling, nothing negative...and this is such a drastic change from the last 3 years where I popped a pill every hour practically just because it comforted me.

I’m starting to post in other story threads, although some I read and then exit because it makes me feel overwhelmed.

The first week back to school right after Thanksgiving after the immediate jump from 8-10+ down to 3, after the worst WD symptoms had passed...I went to school not feeling WD...but that first week, I felt like everything was not right. That feeling of unreality. That passed...and I didn’t notice it right away. That’s how it seems to happen. Suddenly you have negative feelings...and then they disappear.

So, one of the BIGGEST inspirations that I tell myself is that it’s ALL temporary. It. Won’t. Last. I feel better today than I have felt in YEARS. And that’s so amazing that I still pinch myself to see if this is real. And, again, if not for people like you and Beef sharing the minutia of your stories, I NEVER would have had the courage to do this. THIS is why this forum is so important.

Bright Blessings to you, (I have 3 days this coming week of school and then we are OUT until January 8th. Almost there!!!!!!)
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Beefaroni7272 View Post
    How's it going teach? Gotta be getting close to jump day huh!!! I know you're excited. I am too!! Can't wait for you to get there. Easy peasy, a few days of discomfort for the rest of your life!!! Hydrate, stay moving, bananas!!! Got your go bag ready?? Thomas recipe for opiate withdrawal??? All those things will make this just a little bit better.

We're so proud of you buddy!! You got this!! Keep doing the next right thing!!
    Post whenever you can
    Beef
    Hello!!! Yes, I have all of my stuff ready...all of the Thomas Recipe stuff I didn’t need when I jumped from the large amount down to 3 per day...so I’m set. I have prepared for some negative feelings, but, as before, I know it’s TEMPORARY. That’s one of the biggest things I tell people. IT. IS. NOT. FOREVER. And usually it all ends so much sooner than you thought.

I am PUMPED. This is the last weekend before the big Christmas break which starts after Wednesday. Nothing will stop me now. NOTHING. I’ve had zero temptation to take more...I can’t explain it. I was talking to dad and he agreed: once you’ve made up your mind...that’s it. You have WANT to quite MORE than you want to take. And that’s where I’ve been for going on two months. Even on days when negative feelings pop up out of nowhere...there is zero temptation to take more. Because I know...I KNOW...that’s not the reason for the negative feelings. It’s just normal life for people to have negative feelings for whatever reason. I remember for years, I’d talk to my son on the phone (he’s also a teacher) and he’d tell me about feeling bad on a certain day...or have a bad morning...and I’d think, “How do people do that without Vicodin?? I can just pop a pill and all feels better!”...now I know that it’s just what everybody experiences. And it PASSES. Now if I feel depressed or restless or anxious...I sit down, take deep breaths, and watch a funny video (OMG have you seen the Chewbacca lady??) and that jump starts my natural dopamine in the brain. I’m FAR TOO BLESSED to be such a silly baby about a bad day or some discomfort for whatever reason.

It’s CHANGING the way my brain works and thinks that I’m realizing. Change my thoughts...I can change my behavior.

You guys are my inspiration. I’m so grateful for you.

Bright Blessings
    Thomas
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

Hello Thomas,

You're pumping me up, man!! You are about ready for the jump I see. Awsome to the max.

I really sense the end of the pills is close for you. I remember so crystal clear those last few days before I jumped. I couldn't stand taking those last pills I was so ready to be DONE. All those years and doctors and hassle. Phooey on that stuff right?

Anyway, we'll be around to listen and visit when you do it. It won't be bad for you.....o did exactly the same thing. Jumped after 5 days of .5 twice a day.

The only reason I did it that way was to be at home near my comforts when I flushed the last of the pills. Truthfully, and honestly, I tell you......it was a relief after the 5 week taper. It really was. No pills in the pocket for dinner...lol. I remember that first day leaving for work....same weird feeling, no pills. I started laughing when I found one in my truck console as I was throwing out the window. Laughed until I cried.

It was a healing moment my friend. So excited for you still. You will be a better person for yourself and everyone around you, including all those children!!!

One more thing, I want to say this for the first time on your thread:

I am hurting LESS from my injuries than anytime in the last 5 years. Truth!

Hello Thomas,

You're pumping me up, man!! You are about ready for the jump I see. Awsome to the max.

I really sense the end of the pills is close for you. I remember so crystal clear those last few days before I jumped. I couldn't stand taking those last pills I was so ready to be DONE. All those years and doctors and hassle. Phooey on that stuff right?

Anyway, we'll be around to listen and visit when you do it. It won't be bad for you.....o did exactly the same thing. Jumped after 5 days of .5 twice a day.

The only reason I did it that way was to be at home near my comforts when I flushed the last of the pills. Truthfully, and honestly, I tell you......it was a relief after the 5 week taper. It really was. No pills in the pocket for dinner...lol. I remember that first day leaving for work....same weird feeling, no pills. I started laughing when I found one in my truck console as I was throwing out the window. Laughed until I cried.

It was a healing moment my friend. So excited for you still. You will be a better person for yourself and everyone around you, including all those children!!!

One more thing, I want to say this for the first time on your thread:

I am hurting LESS from my injuries than anytime in the last 5 years. Truth!
    Isn’t that the strangest thing?? I’ve been back on my brace and Advil...and nothing else was needed. I’m almost pretty certain the prescription was truly never needed to begin with. Yes, I was in pain...yes, I went through horrible spasms almost daily (if I didn’t wear the brace)...but it was never intolerable. I only went to the pain doctor on a recommend from a friend...and he immediately put me on 120 pills per month. 4 per day. I’d had very little experience with it beyond periodic scrips for a pulled tooth and once for a pinched back nerve some 6 years ago. I know it sounds naive, but I truly did not know the level of addiction possible, NOR did I even know that hydrocodone was opioids. I didn’t even know that the big H was an opioid. I didn’t know what an opioid was. My son reminded me just a few weeks ago that back in the 90s when he was very small, I was so ANTI-PILLS. It creeps up on you. And when your doctor doesn’t even tell you...there you go. I’m not blaming my doctor...he has a business to run...he’s in it for money...and all people should research before taking anything. But I trusted. And I did like how they made me feel. Anyway...enough of that boring story. It’s time to be free.

It’s been a long time since I’ve felt normal...and while I know I’m going to go through some WDs from my jump...I know now that’s it is not only doable, it’s the only thing that makes sense. I just NEVER thought I’d be here so soon.

You mention about how you had that first day without carrying pills...I’m not at that place yet, but I am at the place where I barely think of them anymore. I take so few now that I almost forget. I get no feeling from them...and have no temptation to take more. The only reason I haven’t jumped yet is the two more school days left. I don’t want to feel bad for our Christmas party in class. And while I doubt it would be horrible...I am still a chicken lol. I will have my nearly 3 weeks to just sit here and wait it out like I did over a month ago. And in comfort. I CANNOT WAIT to announce the jump!!!!!!!!!

You’re a tremendous inspiration! Even if you don’t know what a conjunctive adverb is LOL. (Yes, I am secretly judging your grammar )

Bright Blessings
    Thomas

Hey teach! Just wanted to stop by your house, however I really wanted to wish you good luck on your upcoming jump! (Not that you'll need it!!) You got this! Post whenever you can my friend!!

(Theres your conjunctive adverb!!!! Nailed it!! You can go ahead and grade my paper now if you like. I'll take an "A" with a smiley face please.)

Hey teach! Just wanted to stop by your house, however I really wanted to wish you good luck on your upcoming jump! (Not that you'll need it!!) You got this! Post whenever you can my friend!!

(Theres your conjunctive adverb!!!! Nailed it!! You can go ahead and grade my paper now if you like. I'll take an "A" with a smiley face please.)
    Haha! That was awesome. Yes, I’m on my break...and yes, I’ve jumped. DAY 1 starts officially tomorrow since I took my last (half) today, this morning, to be exact. I am feeling fatigued, but that’s it. If I had taken TWO WHOLE pills in the past...and no more that day, by now I’d be feeling rotten. And all I’m feeling is fatigued. I’ve already beefed up on my supplements, vitamins, being proactive, but I don’t anticipate anything horrible. I am anticipating that I’ll awake early...and I’ll have a dropping feeling that I won’t have anything to take...that’s the psychological part. I might have some minor depression, and I’m sure the fatigue will last a few days. I’ve been down to 1.5 pills per day for almost a week now...still only halves at a time, and I don’t even know why I took those since I feel nothing from them. From all I’ve read, there should be no real acute WD symptoms at this low dosage. If there IS...I will def report them here. Dropping from 8-10 per day down to 3 only produced aches and pains, bad sleep pattern, depression, and fatigue. No stomach issues at all...no nausea at all...nothing like I was fearing and what I experienced with C/T. The RLS was the worst, I think. That was terrible. But...again, nothing like I was expecting. I’m at a very exciting place!!!!

Will be reporting in to participate in the other threads and will be taking it very easy. Netflix is all set. LOL. Hope you are all doing great! Christmas is almost over!! Yay!!!!

Bright Blessings,
    Thomas

That's awesome my friend!! Congratulations on day 1! Sounds like you're ready to go!! Keep us posted and let us know how it's going. Proud of you bossman. It only gets better. Merry Christmas buddy!!!

Beef

That's awesome my friend!! Congratulations on day 1! Sounds like you're ready to go!! Keep us posted and let us know how it's going. Proud of you bossman. It only gets better. Merry Christmas buddy!!!

Beef
    The experience is just as I expected. There are WDs...but mild compared to C/T some two years ago. I have a temple headache that won’t go away...no matter the Advil. But, no stomach issues. Feeling fatigued and sluggish...but I do not feel awful. Do you hear that? I do NOT feel awful.

I am keeping my expectations low, however, in case it gets worse, but I’m pretty sure it won’t, or if it does, it will only be mildly worse. And I only have to experience it for a few days. And I don’t have to go anywhere. I am in my jammies and watching films, listening to music, and relaxing. It’s wonderful to be FREE.

Bright Blessings,
    Thomas

Beef
    Oh, and THANK YOU! Merry Christmas to you, as well.

Hey Thomas,

Great to hear the time has come. I'm so happy for you. Feels great to know you are done with the silliness of it all right?

I know I am! Anyway, I'll be watching your thread and cheering for you. Don't forget the banana, multivitamins, and water/Gatorade. It does matter for a few days. Remember I tapered exactly like you down to 10 mg per day though. I did have some issues at the end but they were fairly minor. A fast walk of about a mile each day helped immensely.

Again, Congratulations!!! Day 1!!!!!!!

Forceout
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-23-2017 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Misspelled

Hey Thomas,

Great to hear the time has come. I'm so happy for you. Feels great to know you are done with the silliness of it all right?

I know I am! Anyway, I'll be watching your thread and cheering for you. Don't forget the banana, multivitamins, and water/Gatorade. It does matter for a few days. Remember I tapered exactly like you down to 10 mg per day though. I did have some issues at the end but they were fairly minor. A fast walk of about a mile each day helped immensely.

Again, Congratulations!!! Day 1!!!!!!!

Forceout
    Thank you! I’ll keep this short, not feeling like posting...day after Christmas, tired (but happy it’s over!), headache, but nothing horrible. It just feels like a mild-mid-level winter cold. Achey, headache, little chills, although it is cold...so I’m doing very well. In fact, I’m heading out to meet up with a friend. It’s OVER, though. No matter what! And it’s 13 days until school starts back, so I’m under no pressure in any way. Although around next week, I’ll head back to my classroom to prepare for their return. Looking forward to this new CLEAN 2018!!!! Woot!!! You guys are the best. I think about this forum EVERY DAY, all day, almost. Isn’t that weird?? Then again...maybe not!

Thomas

10years39days is offline Member

Thomas you just made me think of how special New Years is going to feel this year...for me, for you, and others.

Very cool feeling.
    eazzye likes this.

What's up teach. How are things going for you. Post whenever you can buddy!

HI Teach,

Just back from vacation and thought I would check in on you my friend. I trust all is well with you. Figure you may have a weird day or two but also know you are a warrior and likely to be great overall!!!

Hang in there!! I think of this awesome place daily as well!!! Nothing strange there. These people taught me to believe again! So grateful for that!!

Keep getting it done Mr. Thomas!

Forceout

Walkley822 is offline Member

Teach, I just read your thread and your positive attitude is inspirational. I hope youre still doing well, you worked really hard for this!

Hello Thomas,

How about a report? Just wondering how you are doing? It’s been a while.....thinking about you.

Forceout

paronirick is offline Junior Member

Hello Force out. I have been reading your comments and I must say you support and wisdom is priceless. I started my journey 5 days ago, under the thread "Help me Help others". Beef has been a great supporter and my new best friend. If you have time, please read my thread and I woukd appreciate any help or pointers you can give me. Ofcourse all our stories begin the same but have different ending. I stopped ice cold 6 days ago and I'm still on this new year journey. I need all the support and warmth I can get from people who have been there and are continuing the fight.
    Thank You

Jayde1966 is offline New Member

Default Newbie Looking for Thomas

Hey,

I just signed up for this forum because i am also a teacher and saw this thread by another teacher.

I’m trying to taper off my Vicodin too. I use them for Interstitial Cystitis, shoulder pain, and Migraines. Unfortunately, I don’t take them just when I’m having problems with my chronic pain. I was up to 20 mg (2 tabs) daily for a few months, but I have weaned myself back to 1/2 tablet (5 mg) per day now. I felt inspired today when I read this thread. I read to the end, but I have not seen an update from the teacher.

Thomas, if you are out there, I would love an update on how it’s going your first week back to school. I keep my 1/2 a pill in my pocket all day just in case I feel like I need it, or in case I get a migraine. It’s ok if you have slipped backwards. I’ve been there before, and I know how it feels. You want to hide and not let anyone know, but those are the stories I need to hear too. I have to allow myself to screw up and then get back on track. I need to feel like I’m not the only one that has this problem.

I’m also trying to quit smoking. I’m down from 15-18 cigs a day to 8-9. I have a box of patches sitting here for when I’m ready to do it, but with the few withdrawals I’m having- sweats, cold, pain, worse than usual anxiety, fatigue, and feeling so unmotivated to do anything-I wonder if I’m taking on too much too fast.

I’m a newbie here. A little background-I’ve been through outpatient detox for oxycodone about 10 years ago. It was my husband’s prescription, not my own. I realized too late that I was addicted to them, and the withdrawals from that drug are really bad. They put me on one of the prescription meds to get off of them and I went daily to meetings and acupuncture. It really worked great, and I had very few withdrawal issues-mainly psychological.

Fast forward and I ended up with a migraine that lasted almost 6 weeks. I’m not kidding. I didn’t know they could last that long. I was scanned and given a ton of different meds. NOTHING worked except sometimes I’d get an hour or two of relief if I took a Norco. That was about 4 years ago. I have continued using them for my migraines. I developed a rare disease Interstitial Cystitis which includes bladder/pelvic pain. No one can describe the amount of pain that comes with this disease!!! I was not given any pain meds for it, so I began using my migraine Norcos to help. I only get 30 (10 mg) pills every 2 months. I began getting the extras I seriously needed from anyone and everyone I knew. It took 2 1/2 years of various treatments, meds, supplements, acupuncture, and diet to get my bladder pain under control.

By then, I couldn’t stop taking the pills even when I felt ok. I never used more that 20 mg in a day, but just the long term use was enough to hook me. As I said, I have cut back to 5 mg day but am having physical and mental wd symptoms. Occasionally, 1-2x a week max, I will take an extra 5 mg if I’m having a rough day-not pain, just a tough day.

I want to get off of these and only use them for my migraines as necessary (because they really are the only thing that helps) and NOT daily anymore. I look forward to being in this community.

Thanks for listening!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12