tramadol addict getting clean
    carlie217 is offline New Member

Default tramadol addict getting clean

I've been taking tramadol for 4-5 yrs now for fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis (including spine). I've found myself very dependent and addicted to it. I've taken 20 a day but have been trying so hard to come off them. The pain, insomniac, and brain zaps are horrible. I've decided to taper off. I've taken 3 today so far. I'm have alot of pain and discomfort but I heard taking high doses of vitamin c helps with withdrawals. So i've taken about 10 mg if vitamin c so far. I have noticed that it does help alleviate the pain. I'm wanting to go as long as I can before taking almost tramadol. Just using immodium, >>>, and vitamin c. Not to bad so far but I know this is only thethe beginning. I haven't even scratched the surface yet and still have a long way to go. I'll keep updates on my progress for those that want to follow how it goes and what to expect a long the way. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-16-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Had to take another 5 mg of vitamin c and 2 >>>. So far the pain is just in my back and shoulders. No brain zaps yet. All of that usually starts on day 2 though. I'm trying really hard not to take more tramadol. I want to save it for when things get real bad. It's hard though. I haven't told anyone what's going on with me. No friends or family. I've been hiding this addiction for a long time. My stomach is starting to get upset. Not sure if that's for the vitamin c or the withdrawals. Going through this alone sucks. I've struggled with addiction half my life. From meth, alcohol and coke. This is by far the worst though. I've always managed to get clean and sober on my own before. I wonder how long the withdrawals are gonna last? From everything I managed to find online it depends on how much and how long you've been taking it. I've read about people going for 2 wks. That's a long time.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-16-2014 at 04:53 PM.

My stomach is tore up. That's to be expected though. Shoulders and back are really hurting. That deep hurt. I don't want to take anymore vitamin c today. It seembed to really help earlier. From what I've read it says to start with 10 mg a day and work yourself up to about 80 mg. Luckily u can't od on it either. I wish I could stay home and tough it out a few days. Or even 2 at least. But unfortunately I work 6-7 days a week. Sometimes I can only get a day off once every 2 wks. I'm a CNA by the way. Anyone who know anything about that knows it's hard on the body to begin with so not taking the tramadol is killing me. I'm home now though. I think i'm gonna go take a hot shower and take a couple sleeping pills and hopefully get some rest. Like I said tomorrow will be worse. Coming here and writing it down has kind of helped me though. Even if no one else reads it. I gotta keep my outlook up though cause once it falls I know I will too. I want to beat this. I don't want to be a slave to it any longer.

One thing I have been forgetting to mention is that my energy level is wiped out. I have to force myself to do simple task. Well good night for now.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Hi there
    Welcome and congratulations!
    I know CNAs work really hard and sometimes it is better to have to push through the withdrawals.
    Then sit around and feel them.
    it is hard one of the hardest things if not the hardest thing you will ever do..

Tramadol is a strange drug
    It was suppose to be a non addictive alternative.
    Yeah right!
    It also acts as an antidepressant so you may experience rebound pain and depression.
    But it will pass I know 2 weeks sounds like a long time but it is just a wink compared to the rest of your life..
    I hope you are drinking lots of water , vitamins and Gatorade and I would say exercise but you have your exercise built in to your work.
    Have you seen the thomas Receipe on here ?
    I don't know how to leave you the link but it is in the prescription drug addiction board..
    It has lots of suggestions for withdrawals that work..

All that pain and brain zaps is just your body learning to function without opiates..

You didn't become addicted over night so you cannot physically recover over night..
    Do this right and this will be the last time you go through this..
    Take care and just concentrate on the moment if that is what helps !
    This too shall pass!
    Iluv2

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It really means a lot. I had a fairly good night. But the pain is worse today. And the brain zaps have started. Your right about just pushing through it. I have seen Thomas recipe online. I took 5 mg vitamin c. From what I've read it's suppose to take away most if not all withdrawals. Sounds to good to be true though. And besides I think it's the pain that will help to not go back to it. Tramadol is a strange drug. It was supposed to be a safe alternative. My from the research i've done i've learned that tramadol acts as an opiate and antidepressants so when u come off it it's like a double whammy. Of course leave it up to me to go to real extremes. LOL. Just gotta keep my head up and keep on trucking.

So the vitamin c did take away the pain and brain zaps mostly. I'm really missing that euphoria and energy burst I get from the tramadol. I am struggling with feeling of depression. Also to be expected. I am taking other vitamins though. I'm taking b, c, and d. Along with fish oil, dha, bromelain, and probiotic. That's about all I can think of though.

FreedbyTruth is offline Junior Member

Hi I had the exact same problem. I was hooked on tramadol for years. It completely overtook my life. I alienated everyone around me. The only friends I had were people who could get me Pills. I was very depressed and often wanted to take my life. The more I was on the pills the more depressed that became, The more depressed that I became the more pills I took. I tried to quit so many times I tried to tell someone so many times. I ruined my finances, and the situation just became dismal. I was so entangled in a web of lies and addiction that I thought I would never get out. The last time I tried to quit it affected me so bad I swore I'd never try to quit again. But I still wanted a way out so I would look online for a forum like this. Which brought me to a testimony that led me to believe that my only way out was to confess to my family. It took me a while but I did it. The fact that everyone knew what was going on allowed me to go through withdrawals, but I couldn't take it so I went to my regular doctor. she give me a drug called clonidine. it is a blood pressure medication but he treats opiate withdrawals. Within a day of taking it the yawning was gone, so were the pins and needles, The hot flashes and cold sweats, in a skip the nausea and diarrhea all together. Within a few days I was able to go back to work, and within a few weeks I was able to quit taking the clonidine to. Since then I've been in several situations were drugs are
    Were readily available and I was able to say no. Please check it out, Clonidine save my life and it's very inexpensive. I really hope this helps you good luck and God bless you

I also struggled with my energy , I'd say it lasted roughly 2 to 2.5 weeks. It was hardest for me not to use just for that reason, ( because the tramadol I knew would give me energy) but you have to tell yourself, 1. It WILL get better, SOON. 2. If I use, I have to go through this again. I was CONVINCED that I could never enjoy life after pills, but I was WRONG. You can enjoy life more after you get through the I initial phase.

Magnolia36 is offline Junior Member

I have been taking tramadol like clockwork for 3 years. I have been done with them for awhile, but I have been so scared of the withdrawals. I am finally going to take the plunge. After these run out (I have to make it through Thanksgiving), that's it for me! A lot of people warn about seizures and that is what I am most scared of. But a couple of weeks ago I tried to quit. For 2 days I felt hungover nonstop and then the pills came to my doorstep . I had no seizures then so I feel like it should be ok to go CT again. The worst part for me is the muscle weakness, extreme lack of energy, and depression. Also, when I am tapering down I have sleep paralysis-where I wake up mentally from sleep, but the rest of my body won't wake up, it's terrifying! Have you ever experienced this? People think tramadol is a weak opiate, and it may be, but the dual aspect of the SSRI makes withdrawals more complicated. But I know it's doable. I have to scrapre together some positive outlook and take it head on. How are things going with you? Where are you at with it today? I am rooting for you!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-19-2014 at 02:42 AM.

There is nothing weak about Tramadol. I know several people who's lives were ruined by it. The doctors are catching on. It's just been reclassified as a scheduled drug. Tramadol was so strong for me that when I was out and I would get Percocet to hold me over, I would take the Percocet and STILL withdraw from Tramadol.

I don't know how you feel about telling a doctor, but look up clonidine, it worked for me like a miracle, and I was up to 15 or more Tramadol a day.

Magnolia36 is offline Junior Member

Yeah, I am curious about the help of clonidine for withdrawals. Unfortunately, I don't have insurance.

Can you go the ER? If you get the prescription, it's only $4 with or without insurance. (It was for me anyway) I don't think the doctor appointment was much without ins either. About $100

I haven't been on in a couple of days. Still trying to put my best foot forward. I did read all of ur post. And yes I also suffer from sleep paralysis and it is scary. I just want to be done with it all and never go back. Thanks everyone for opening up about this issue. Hearing ur stories is helping me out a lot with this. I don't feel like I am alone in it. Thank you so much and best wishes to you.

Farcry is offline Banned

I was prescribed tramadol by a pain management doctor, when I told him I didn't want a narcotic, just something for the pain. He seriously told me they were like a step up from Ibprofen, I said cool, sure. Well, it's true, for me, the benefit of taking it for pain was like taking an Ibprofen (I have a gigantic opiate tolerance) but I had no idea it had an opioid antagonist in it. I came off of it, and when I did, I remember feeling weird and cloudy for about a week... But I still managed to live my life normally (unlike coming off methadone where I can't get out of bed). So I hope you are doing great with your progress and working towards your goals. You can do it!