Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By johnmason
Tramadol Cessation Plan/Advice?
    lvacqua is offline New Member

Default Tramadol Cessation Plan/Advice?

Hello, first post here after many months of reading around...

I've been using Tramadol for almost ten years - for the first six years or so it was only 3-4 50mg pills per day. Then in 2010 I began taking more, and more, usually one 50mg pill every two hours, and often two 50mg pills at once. In recent weeks I've used 2x 50mg pills, every two hours, totaling sixteen per day.

I get it through my doctor (a small amount, supposedly for menstrual cramps) and the rest from online pharmacies. Tramadol will become a Class IV Controlled Substance on August 18, meaning my supply will be cut off.

I've thought about quitting, and tried, but when I stopped I had opiate withdrawal symptoms, but also symptoms very much like withdrawal from Effexor XR (which, of course, I am still on, having never successfully stopped taking it). In other words, on top of the normal opiate profile of severe flu-like symptoms and lack of sleep, etc, I also seem to get panic attacks, crying jags, electric "shock" type sensations in my head, vertigo, angry outbursts followed by sobbing...

My question is how, exactly, to taper this down in the time I have? I currently have 345 pills, and can access an additional 180 (or more, depending on the refil date for the online pharmacy).

In short, I DO want to stop using, and it seems the DEA has given me a deadline and the need to do this as quickly (but still gradually) as possible.

If I use ten per day, what I have now will last for 35 days. If I got more, it would last for 50 days, give or take, just under two months...again, at current consumption levels.

For my own mental health, given the crazy-making SNRI-like withdrawal I feel with this, I'd like to drag the tapering out as long as I can so that it's as gradual as possible. Should I decrease by a set and steady amount per xDays, or go for plateaus where I stay at one dose for longer? In the last 12 months, I got to 4 per day when the psychological symptoms started making it impossible to function, but that was after decreasing from 8 to 4 overnight.

I hope this isn't too long, or against the rules, or otherwise not appropriate, and I really hope someone who's done this or knows about it can help. I want to have a list of each day and the number of pills I can have each day, all the way down to none. I can even separate them into small bags by day so that I only have that day's dose with me at any given time...

Sorry for rambling. Any advice would help

johnmason is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by lvacqua View Post

I've been using Tramadol for almost ten years - for the first six years or so it was only 3-4 50mg pills per day. Then in 2010 I began taking more, and more, usually one 50mg pill every two hours, and often two 50mg pills at once. In recent weeks I've used 2x 50mg pills, every two hours, totaling sixteen per day.

I get it through my doctor (a small amount, supposedly for menstrual cramps) and the rest from online pharmacies. Tramadol will become a Class IV Controlled Substance on August 18, meaning my supply will be cut off.

I've thought about quitting, and tried, but when I stopped I had opiate withdrawal symptoms, but also symptoms very much like withdrawal from Effexor XR (which, of course, I am still on, having never successfully stopped taking it). In other words, on top of the normal opiate profile of severe flu-like symptoms and lack of sleep, etc, I also seem to get panic attacks, crying jags, electric "shock" type sensations in my head, vertigo, angry outbursts followed by sobbing...

My question is how, exactly, to taper this down in the time I have? I currently have 345 pills, and can access an additional 180 (or more, depending on the refil date for the online pharmacy).

In short, I DO want to stop using, and it seems the DEA has given me a deadline and the need to do this as quickly (but still gradually) as possible.

If I use ten per day, what I have now will last for 35 days. If I got more, it would last for 50 days, give or take, just under two months...again, at current consumption levels.

For my own mental health, given the crazy-making SNRI-like withdrawal I feel with this, I'd like to drag the tapering out as long as I can so that it's as gradual as possible. Should I decrease by a set and steady amount per xDays, or go for plateaus where I stay at one dose for longer? In the last 12 months, I got to 4 per day when the psychological symptoms started making it impossible to function, but that was after decreasing from 8 to 4 overnight.

I hope this isn't too long, or against the rules, or otherwise not appropriate, and I really hope someone who's done this or knows about it can help. I want to have a list of each day and the number of pills I can have each day, all the way down to none. I can even separate them into small bags by day so that I only have that day's dose with me at any given time...

Hi, I am in the same boat. I've been getting Tramadol from an online supplier but now this supplier can't get me anymore. I can get them overseas, but the Tramadol from overseas is different and gives me headaches. I have around 100 pills left. I'm used to taking 10-12 50mg tables per day. I've gone off Tramadol twice before cold turkey and it was hell. The second time I landed in the ER at the hospital. But since I can't get anymore, I have to quit altogether and am wondering how to do it.
    jenrie likes this.

johnmason is offline New Member

With 100 50mg tables left, I plan to immediately, beginning tomorrow, go to 8, then on day two to 6, and so on until I'm at 3. Maybe I'll go for 5 days or so on 3, and then go to 1 until my supply runs out.

Will this work? I don't know. I'm scared.

dvspider is offline New Member

Please read this and take my advice as an addict that tried every way to kick an opiate addiction by using tramadol. Tramadol was such an insidious solution my doctor prescribed in huge amounts to minimize what i thought was the worst thing i had gone through when I was withdrawing from a massive addiction to roxys. I eventually got a 1000mg a day tramadol addiction and tried tapering to minimize the w/d's. So i reduced just like johnmason asked and on the 3rd day i had a seizure. So I tried a slower taper and realized the w/d's were so bad that it was the same as cold turkey. Big reason is because tramadol has the same functionality of depression meds that deal with seratonin levels. Hence ivaqua crying, depression and worst of all insomnia. It lasted a month where i was near insane. So do not taper daily by a few pills! A proper taper regime will take a lonh time and depends on your intake amounts and how long you have taken them. When i finally detoxed it was at a treatment center and done by a doc. After a 28day rehab stint i stayed clean for 2 years but relapsed when i didn't follow the program. Now my friends, with my 5th day w/o sleep in a row and no detox available I am joining you both in the 5th level of hell withdrawing from...you guessed it..tramadol that I took for 3 months at a minimum of 1000mgs a day.

dvspider is offline New Member

Just went and looked up some good taper regime tables online and suggest you read them to get an idea of what im saying. Best of luck to you bpth if ypur still monitoring this site.

Fireshadow190 is offline Junior Member

I'm with you! I'm going through withdrawals right now and on Day 3. I went CT this time and was over 1,000 mg per day. I've been off and on tram for the last 3 years at a fairly high dosage. I've come off it a couple of times before as well with my longest being 2 months clean.

I'm done now! And you are too! Just focus!!!! It's not a battle or a fight in your mind, it's an all out war! If you want you can follow my progress under my one and only post. I'm using it as a diary and I hope my journey can not only keep me accountable, but help encourage others as well. Blessings friend.

jsmth is offline New Member

Hi Im in the addicted to tramadol hell club with you!! I wish I never took that first pill. Ive been addicted for 6 years and with the new laws can no longer get them online. My only option is to go with an overseas pharmacy have you ever ordered with one that will not rip me off? any help would be great Thanks

cowboyup71 is offline New Member

Default Withdrawals

I have been on Tramadol heavily for 4 years. I was up to 1000 milligrams or more a day for 3 years. I tried quitting numerous times. Almost lost my marriage and life because of it. Ran myself in to total debt not sure how to get out of. I tried the taper down thing but never worked something always came up for me to go back to it. So when it went controlled I said that was enough. I went cold turkey every time and trying to function is terrible. I have been off tramadol for 3 months now and still having some issues. My addiction started with taking hydrocodone for arthritis for neck and the doctors told me no more. I would only take 1 and a half per night. I found tramadol and started using it. Anyway this go round I read about taking Nuerotin to help. Worst idea ever. Got through a week of tramadol and when I quit it I thought I was going to die. 4 nights of no painful terrible insomnia. So then I tried Hydro for a couple of weeks. Seemed to really help but still withdrawals. I am 3 months no tramadol and 2 months no opiates and still at night have hard time. I have been taking ambien and xanax to sleep but now going off of those. Anyway to me quitting cold turkey hurts and you lose most functions but have to go through it. There is no easy drug or way. The thomas thing didn't work for me. I have 2 jobs one which is a 24 hour day and the other very stressful, plus 3 kids. If you have just started this do not abuse it. Don't go for the good feeling just take what it says to take and when you quit welcome to hell. Sorry to be blunt but that is what it is. I can't enjoy my evenings any more. Used to love to read a for hours now all I do is stare at the tv. I am now taking some herbal meds to help. Kratom seems to help but have to be careful with it also. You have to just do it. Push through it all and be ready for major issues. Don't take one or two to make it through the day cause you will go back. I never had siezures from quitting so... Anyway I know I am not making a happy joy reply but just my experience.

cowboyup71 is offline New Member

I also found out after the withdrawals taking vitamin b complex and magnesium in the morning gives you some great energy.