• 1 Post By Steve Trebs
  • 1 Post By DravenDomnq
  • 1 Post By Steve Trebs
  • 2 Post By Ricky71
  • 1 Post By Bogey59
Tramadol - an evil synthetic drug that is very much misunderstood
    Steve Trebs is offline New Member

Default Tramadol - an evil synthetic drug that is very much misunderstood

Hello to all who read my post...I can only assume you have read the title and are possibly suffering like many of us prescribed this "medication".

To start with I shall tell you a little about me. I am 46 years old with two beautiful children aged 13 & 16 and a wife to be 36 years young. I have degenerative disc disease (5 lumbars) and require a replacement hip operation which I have deferred for 6 months. I was taking co-codamol by the bucket load along with naproxen, along with omeprazole to keep my stomach relatively balanced. I had been trialling other painkillers with some horrendous side effects and ceased all because I was unable to work on the vast majority of them. So because of my "overdosing" of co-codamol due to escalation in pain I decided to inform my doctor - concerned that I may be causing unnecessary harm to myself.

So here I am and taking Tramadol 50mg regularly...because if I don't all hell breaks lose! And this is the problem I am pained with - if I don't take enough my body goes into withdrawal.

Unlike the co-codamol which you can take when needed or not at all I cannot do this with Tramadol. Yesterday for example I only took 1 50mg tablet all day. I thought I could get away with it as the day before I only took 3 50mg and day before that 4 50 mg. Because my pain was relatively low I choose not to take. But today I feel sick, I've had to take 3 so far (probably should have doubled the doses) and still feel sick although the shakey head sensation has left me (usually goes within first 10 minutes after taking a tablet).

The first time I had withdrawal was two weeks after being on them. I thought I had gone done with Flu until I realised I hadn't taken any tablets. When I realised that I was in withdrawal I took a tablet and within the hour I was fine again.

I have never ever been in this position before and I absolutely hate it. My mood swings even when taking normally (400mg per day) are intense - like Jekyll and Hyde in a split second! Road rage - how I haven't got myself into serious bother I will never know...perhaps because others think I'm some enraged junkie...pyschotic individual who is unpredictable...I feel so embarrassed but find myself defending my actions even though I know it is wrong of me. I've always been so laid back too.

SO for any one wishing to "get on" Tramadol I would urge you to consider the alternatives before saying yes. Whilst it has definitely helped with my pain and is a painkiller I can comfortably carry out my daily working practices it is not a fun drug as some may have you believe. It does not get you high in a euphoric sense but will "alter" you and your mind if you are not aware of how it works and how it can affect you. Everyone is different and each has a different reaction...I can only tell you about mine and hand on heart say I wish I hadn't ever agreed to changing medication as now I am on it I have to stay until my operation without a doubt lead to a not very comfortable withdrawal program.

If anyone has a tried and tested method of reduction which works I'd be very pleased to hear from you.

It actually feels good to have written this so thanks for reading and I hope it does help someone with their decision or that you can relate to it knowing that you are not alone!

Best Regards,

Steve
    DravenDomnq likes this.

DravenDomnq is offline Advanced Member

Hey, welcome to the forums! I've been off and on Tramadol over the years, and you're right. It's pretty much the same junk as everything else, and can cause a lot of problems overall in my opinion. One thread that might help give you some ideas is the Thomas Recipe Thread (link included). Has helped me get off everything I was on this time and wish I had found it sooner. Regardless of what you decide to do, you've found the right place!

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...wal-35169.html
    Steve Trebs likes this.

Steve Trebs is offline New Member

Smile

Unless you've been there no one understands. Not even the other half. They just do not appreciate how difficult being "normal" is.

Thank you for the link. I will have a look and see if it is something I can do. It really is surprising how my GP is unwilling to provide any proper assistance at this time. That in itself is very frustrating.

I am pleased I stumbled across this place. Hopefully I can be of use as well as get help here.

Thanks again!
    DravenDomnq likes this.

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Trebs View Post
    Hello to all who read my post...I can only assume you have read the title and are possibly suffering like many of us prescribed this "medication".

To start with I shall tell you a little about me. I am 46 years old with two beautiful children aged 13 & 16 and a wife to be 36 years young. I have degenerative disc disease (5 lumbars) and require a replacement hip operation which I have deferred for 6 months. I was taking co-codamol by the bucket load along with naproxen, along with omeprazole to keep my stomach relatively balanced. I had been trialling other painkillers with some horrendous side effects and ceased all because I was unable to work on the vast majority of them. So because of my "overdosing" of co-codamol due to escalation in pain I decided to inform my doctor - concerned that I may be causing unnecessary harm to myself.

So here I am and taking Tramadol 50mg regularly...because if I don't all hell breaks lose! And this is the problem I am pained with - if I don't take enough my body goes into withdrawal.

Unlike the co-codamol which you can take when needed or not at all I cannot do this with Tramadol. Yesterday for example I only took 1 50mg tablet all day. I thought I could get away with it as the day before I only took 3 50mg and day before that 4 50 mg. Because my pain was relatively low I choose not to take. But today I feel sick, I've had to take 3 so far (probably should have doubled the doses) and still feel sick although the shakey head sensation has left me (usually goes within first 10 minutes after taking a tablet).

The first time I had withdrawal was two weeks after being on them. I thought I had gone done with Flu until I realised I hadn't taken any tablets. When I realised that I was in withdrawal I took a tablet and within the hour I was fine again.

I have never ever been in this position before and I absolutely hate it. My mood swings even when taking normally (400mg per day) are intense - like Jekyll and Hyde in a split second! Road rage - how I haven't got myself into serious bother I will never know...perhaps because others think I'm some enraged junkie...pyschotic individual who is unpredictable...I feel so embarrassed but find myself defending my actions even though I know it is wrong of me. I've always been so laid back too.

SO for any one wishing to "get on" Tramadol I would urge you to consider the alternatives before saying yes. Whilst it has definitely helped with my pain and is a painkiller I can comfortably carry out my daily working practices it is not a fun drug as some may have you believe. It does not get you high in a euphoric sense but will "alter" you and your mind if you are not aware of how it works and how it can affect you. Everyone is different and each has a different reaction...I can only tell you about mine and hand on heart say I wish I hadn't ever agreed to changing medication as now I am on it I have to stay until my operation without a doubt lead to a not very comfortable withdrawal program.

If anyone has a tried and tested method of reduction which works I'd be very pleased to hear from you.

It actually feels good to have written this so thanks for reading and I hope it does help someone with their decision or that you can relate to it knowing that you are not alone!

Best Regards,

Steve
    The problem with tramadol is that not only does it have a opiate effect it also has a SSRI effect, a doubled edged sword! The withdrawals can be pretty severe especially from the SSRI aspect! You shouldn't quit tramadol cold turkey, it could be dangerous! Coming off tramadol isn't easy by any means but can be done successfully with minimal discomfort! You have to taper extremely slow, around 5-10% every 5-7 days or so? The slower the taper the better, the key is to have your body adjust to the lower doses without it causing any or very minor withdrawal! You can adjust the taper depending on how you feel? You do not want to taper by too much or too often otherwise you'll have withdrawal symptoms all the way through the whole taper process! Keep us updated on your progress? Best of luck to you... God bless us all!

DravenDomnq is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    The problem with tramadol is that not only does it have a opiate effect it also has a SSRI effect, a doubled edged sword! The withdrawals can be pretty severe especially from the SSRI aspect! You shouldn't quit tramadol cold turkey, it could be dangerous! Coming off tramadol isn't easy by any means but can be done successfully with minimal discomfort! You have to taper extremely slow, around 5-10% every 5-7 days or so? The slower the taper the better, the key is to have your body adjust to the lower doses without it causing any or very minor withdrawal! You can adjust the taper depending on how you feel? You do not want to taper by too much or too often otherwise you'll have withdrawal symptoms all the way through the whole taper process! Keep us updated on your progress? Best of luck to you... God bless us all!
    I'd definitely listen to Ricky! While I don't think there's a benzo/SSRI I haven't been on over the years, I wouldn't recommend my taper or jump plan of any of them to anybody. I just know what works for me. He's much better at walking people through certain things than I am.

Bogey59 is offline Junior Member

Sorry Draven it does effect Serotonin reuptake-, Steve you should follow Ricky71's advise on this should you start a taper.

"It also works like an antidepressant, prolonging the actions of norepinephrine and serotonin in the brain."

I wish I had more to add...
    DravenDomnq likes this.