Tramadol Withdrawls Horrible! Right hand feeling dead or loss of feeling
    ynotrhyme33 is offline New Member

Default Tramadol Withdrawls Horrible! Right hand feeling dead or loss of feeling

Hi everybody! I was on tramadol for 3 years 100-150 mg 5 days a week, none on weekends for back pain and a couple weeks back I drank some grapefruit and had a really bad reaction. Then I started getting really bad withdrawl symptoms- fever, chills, mind confusion and altered, anxiety you name it. So I took magnesium caltrate which cleans out the system and I think that's what really messed me up. So I decide to go cold turkey and After that I had extreme anxiety, paranoiah, cold and hot sweats a lot of really bad withdrawl symptoms. Had to go to hospital couple times due to panic attacks etc. I was off for about 3 days but relapsed due to a drug counselor advising me that I have to start taking them again and start tapering off. What is really scaring me is my right hand is feeling like it's dead or like a loss of nerves. My left hand feels normal but my right hand feels like it's rigid and tightening on its own.

I'm currently tapering 150mgs A day or I might do 100mg q day but I'm a bit scared I might have serotonin syndrome. or is this just heavy withdrawls I'm experiencing. Besides my right hand feeling almost nerve damaged, when I walk I feel the motor skills in my feet when I walk feel weird and off kilter.

Any replies would really help. I Live in Puerto Rico and I don't think they know much about serotonin syndrome here. I'm honestly thinking about maybe traveling to a mayo clinic and getting cheked there. Thanks guys!

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ynotrhyme33 View Post
    Hi everybody! I was on tramadol for 3 years 100-150 mg 5 days a week, none on weekends for back pain and a couple weeks back I drank some grapefruit and had a really bad reaction. Then I started getting really bad withdrawl symptoms- fever, chills, mind confusion and altered, anxiety you name it. So I took magnesium caltrate which cleans out the system and I think that's what really messed me up. So I decide to go cold turkey and After that I had extreme anxiety, paranoiah, cold and hot sweats a lot of really bad withdrawl symptoms. Had to go to hospital couple times due to panic attacks etc. I was off for about 3 days but relapsed due to a drug counselor advising me that I have to start taking them again and start tapering off. What is really scaring me is my right hand is feeling like it's dead or like a loss of nerves. My left hand feels normal but my right hand feels like it's rigid and tightening on its own.

I'm currently tapering 150mgs A day or I might do 100mg q day but I'm a bit scared I might have serotonin syndrome. or is this just heavy withdrawls I'm experiencing. Besides my right hand feeling almost nerve damaged, when I walk I feel the motor skills in my feet when I walk feel weird and off kilter.

Any replies would really help. I Live in Puerto Rico and I don't think they know much about serotonin syndrome here. I'm honestly thinking about maybe traveling to a mayo clinic and getting cheked there. Thanks guys!
    Welcome to the forum. I'm confident that neither the grapefruit or the magnesium citrate interacted with the tramadol in any negative way!

The problem with tramadol is not only does it have an opiate effect it also has a ssri effect! Tramadol is one nasty drug! You need to wean off of it very slowly! I would go back up to your regular daily dose and taper down by 10% or so every 5-7 days! You can reduce by a little more if you feel okay to do so but I wouldn't reduce by more than 15% every 5-7 days! This is a slow process! If you want to be as comfortable as possible with little to no withdrawals then please follow the taper schedule I have recommended? Take it slow and you'll be okay! Keep us updated? Good luck! Take care... God bless us all!

My doctors told me to taper from 100mg one week then 50mg the next week then 0... Sounds rough.. Does anyone have first hand experience with serotonin syndrome. I appreciate all the help guys. Thanks

My doctors told me to taper from 100mg one week then 50mg the next week then 0... Sounds rough.. Does anyone have first hand experience with serotonin syndrome. I appreciate all the help guys. Thanks
    Sorry to inform you but your doctor is 100% wrong on the taper from the tramadol, the proper/correct way to taper is what I have already mentioned! Again, your issues are most likely from the fast taper off of the tramadol! You only have two choices, continue to ride this out which is gonna be really tough and will probably last a long while or get back on it and taper properly?

I don't have any personal experience with serotonin syndrome but I don't think that's what you are experiencing? I believe if get back on the tramadol taking your normal daily dose and stay there for a week you will find that these symptoms will improve and/or go away all together? Then you can start the taper plan as mentioned before in my earlier post to you! Good luck! God bless us all!

MaisieC is offline Senior Member

I think Ricky 71 is right. I don't think you have serotonin syndrome--I think you're having withdrawal. Withdrawal from this drug is hell, and you need to get off slowly. Your doctors don't know what they're talking about regarding the taper. Doctors in general don't know much about this drug.

Go back to your original dose and see if your hand improves. If not, I'd head for the ER. If you feel better, then start the slow taper Ricky 71 has suggested.

Be patient. Tapering slowly is the best thing. Be good to yourself.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info... When I take tramadol my hand gets much better but it still feels rigid and tightened up. My motor reactions on my legs when I walk are also off. Another problem I'm having is when I take the tramadols now I almost always have a bad reaction. I appreciate you guys honestly for helping

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Agree with the others, taper very slowly. Stay completely away from grapefruit or grapefruit juice. Here is why:

https://www.drugs.com/slideshow/grap...eractions-1028

Also stay away from supplements. St. John's Wort, L-tryptophan, 5-HTP and others, will stack on tramadol or any SSRI and possibly cause serotonin syndrome.

There are also many prescription medications that can interact with tramadol and cause serotonin syndrome. If you are on any other medications, talk to your doctor or pharmacist about the possibility.

Numbness of extremities and balance problems, muscle rigidity are all listed as possible side effects of taking tramadol and/or serotonin syndrome but it is impossible for us to say what is causing your symptoms. I agree with the drug counselor in general to go back on the tramadol and taper off slowly however in your case I also feel you should see a doctor right away to address these concerning symptoms.

[deleted - swearing]
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-24-2016 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisweekforsure View Post
    Agree with the others, taper very slowly. Stay completely away from grapefruit or grapefruit juice. Here is why:

https://www.drugs.com/slideshow/grap...eractions-1028

Also stay away from supplements. St. John's Wort, L-tryptophan, 5-HTP and others, will stack on tramadol or any SSRI and possibly cause serotonin syndrome.

There are also many prescription medications that can interact with tramadol and cause serotonin syndrome. If you are on any other medications, talk to your doctor or pharmacist about the possibility.

Numbness of extremities and balance problems, muscle rigidity are all listed as possible side effects of taking tramadol and/or serotonin syndrome but it is impossible for us to say what is causing your symptoms. I agree with the drug counselor in general to go back on the tramadol and taper off slowly however in your case I also feel you should see a doctor right away to address these concerning symptoms.
    Thisweek - I understand you cautioning about the grapefruit but in this case with the tramadol I personally don't think it would cause any negative reaction and any link between the two certainly is not talked about in the web link that you provided? However, grapefruit is known to potentiate opiates! So I guess ynotrhyme33 could err on the side of caution and not eat or drink anymore grapefruit just to be 100% safe? ynotrhyme33 should certainly address these concerns with his doctor and pharmacist!

ynotrhyme33 - If you are truly concerned and things haven't improved by getting back on your normal daily dose of tramadol then by all means got to the doctor like Thisweek has mentioned? Give us an update when you can? Be well... God bless us all!

Thanks Ricky ... I'm trying to taper off these meds but every time I take one or two 50mgs I got nothing but like an allergic reaction and nothing but nasty side effects. I feel like I get the high feeling of tramadol working if I ingest honey or sugars. I really wanna just go cold turkey because this tapering is not really looking good for me if whenever I taake a dose it makes me feel horrible and get worse symptoms with every taper.

Last 2 nights I've been insomniatic, which was due to difficulty breathing before bed, I'm thinking anxiety induced. Lots of stress lately. So with every tramadol 50mg I took I had bouts of hot and cold insensitivity, fever etc.. When I would invest honey I would kind of get better but then a new symptom would arrive. Last night after the honey ingestion my mouth clenched down as if not wanting to open so I couldn't breath. It was horrifying, so I just did exercises , ate oatmeal , watched a movie and then later on it just subsided.

I'm going to my doctor tommorrow to see what she thinks of cold turkey cuz this tapering is horrible also. All help is appreciated, thanks.

Thanks Ricky ... I'm trying to taper off these meds but every time I take one or two 50mgs I got nothing but like an allergic reaction and nothing but nasty side effects. I feel like I get the high feeling of tramadol working if I ingest honey or sugars. I really wanna just go cold turkey because this tapering is not really looking good for me if whenever I taake a dose it makes me feel horrible and get worse symptoms with every taper.

Last 2 nights I've been insomniatic, which was due to difficulty breathing before bed, I'm thinking anxiety induced. Lots of stress lately. So with every tramadol 50mg I took I had bouts of hot and cold insensitivity, fever etc.. When I would invest honey I would kind of get better but then a new symptom would arrive. Last night after the honey ingestion my mouth clenched down as if not wanting to open so I couldn't breath. It was horrifying, so I just did exercises , ate oatmeal , watched a movie and then later on it just subsided.

I'm going to my doctor tommorrow to see what she thinks of cold turkey cuz this tapering is horrible also. All help is appreciated, thanks.
    Well, I'm certainly no expert by any means and it is strange that you are experiencing negative side effects when you take the tramadol? Hopefully the doctor tomorrow will have some answers for you? I personally don't think cold turkey is the way to go with tramadol especially since you've been on it for 3 years! Again tapering is done very slowly as I mentioned in the earlier post to you and it includes cutting the pills down to get the right dosages. Be sure to ask the doctor about the grapefruit and magnesium citrate as well? Give us an update after your doctors appointment? Good luck... God bless us all!

I tried doing cold turkey today and after about 24 hours I felt like I was going to die, seemed like a panic attack and the pain was coming from my right arm. Super scary. I'm definitely going back to the taper. If anyone has a good taper plan id greatly appreciate it. For about 3 years I was using between 2 50mgs to 4 50mgs maximum. I must admit I did use grapefruit juice a couple times to try to potentiate the effect and it ended up giving me really horrible feeling in my body. Maybe I overdosed but I feel really weak and >>>>>> and went to the hospital and then after that went back on the tramadols and everything was fine.

This time I had the same episode with the grapefruit juice but didn't go to the hospital I just waited it out and then a week later I quit my job all the while tapering down because my body was rejecting the pills and then the day I quit my job I stopped taking tramadols cold turkey and then BOOM all the worst Withdrawls happened.

Sorry for the rambling but I'm a bit insomniatic right now and wanted to shed more clarity into my situation. The doctors here in PR want me to taper off in 2 weeks. Can someone give me any suggestions because I don't yhink the doctors here know what they're talking about. Thanks guys for all the replies and support you guys are the best!

I tried doing cold turkey today and after about 24 hours I felt like I was going to die, seemed like a panic attack and the pain was coming from my right arm. Super scary. I'm definitely going back to the taper. If anyone has a good taper plan id greatly appreciate it. For about 3 years I was using between 2 50mgs to 4 50mgs maximum. I must admit I did use grapefruit juice a couple times to try to potentiate the effect and it ended up giving me really horrible feeling in my body. Maybe I overdosed but I feel really weak and >>>>>> and went to the hospital and then after that went back on the tramadols and everything was fine.

This time I had the same episode with the grapefruit juice but didn't go to the hospital I just waited it out and then a week later I quit my job all the while tapering down because my body was rejecting the pills and then the day I quit my job I stopped taking tramadols cold turkey and then BOOM all the worst Withdrawls happened.

Sorry for the rambling but I'm a bit insomniatic right now and wanted to shed more clarity into my situation. The doctors here in PR want me to taper off in 2 weeks. Can someone give me any suggestions because I don't yhink the doctors here know what they're talking about. Thanks guys for all the replies and support you guys are the best!
    Use the taper plan I suggested in my first post to you, that is the best taper plan for you!

Thanks for being honest about why you were using the grapefruit, the ER visit and how you felt fine when you started taking the tramadol again. It's extremely important to be very detailed and honest in the forums so that we may help you correctly and accurately! 10% (no more than 15%) reductions every 5-7 days, this is a slow process, don't rush it! Take your meds at the same time everyday! Good luck! God bless us all!

Just wanted to update everyone! I've been around 5 days without Tramadol with the help of paroxetine and clonazepam. The Withdrawls have been very limited for the last five days. I have no longer any nightmarish reactions like when I used to take TRAMADOL. Now I have absolute no reactions. My new doctor gave me this plan, the first day was hell but the following were bearable with the anti depressant and anxiety pills. If I have serotonin syndrome should I still be feeling really bad and having horrible reactions with paroxetine (SSRI PILL) because I'm not im feeling great. Should I ask my doctor for a non SSRI anti depressant?

You guys are the best! All relies are appreciated

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Because you seemed to have weird reactions to the tramadol your doctor may have been correct to take you off of it completely, even though that throws you into severe withdrawal. One way to manage this situation is indeed to give you drugs such as paroxetine and clonazepam. No, I do not think you have serotonin syndrome, although I do have concerns about the two drugs he has given you. The paroxetine is indeed an SSRI antidepressant, which means if you take it very long you will again be dependent on an SSRI type drug, and will need to taper off that one. On the other hand it may ease the symptoms of tramadol withdrawal without giving you the bad reactions you had to tramadol. The clonazepam is a benzo. Have you ever been on a benzo before? If not, beware, they too can be very addictive. However, they may be one of the best tools to ease withdrawal symptoms of tramadol. I can't tell you what to do other than to caution you to endeavor to taper off both these drugs as soon as you can reasonably do so without severe symptoms returning. I understand you don't feel great, but if you feel adequate enough, maybe just give it time. If it were me personally, I would probably ask the doctor for a non-SSRI antidepressant like doxepin to take only at bedtime, and I would use the clonazepam as sparingly as possible to ease symptoms, with the intention to taper rapidly off within the next few weeks.

I appreciate your response thisweekforsure... My doctor told me that I should use the benzo (I've never used before no) which I'm using .5mg 2x a day for the past 6 days. Well my doctor said to use normally for this week and then next week maybe I think it was just .5 a day and then the following week .5 every other day. Something like that I have to ask him again.

My main concern was the serotonin syndrome and the auto clamping of my hands and feeling like I was slowly developing serotonin syndrome. Does the sign of me quitting tramadol cold turkey and then my body reacting back to normal while on paroxetine (Paxil) and clonazepam a slight sign I don't have serotonin syndrome. I'm basically tramadol side effect free besides the really bad constipation (I use Taco Bell bean burrito as laxative lol) as well as prescribed doc q lax. No more fever , hypothermia, nothing. It's so weird really it's scary. I read that to treat serotonin syndrome you must stop the afflicting agent; in my case tramadol, which I did. But it's like Thisweekforsure says I also read to use a non SSRI antidepressant. Should this be the case only if my symptoms don't go away or should I just ask my doctor for a non SSRI (was thinking Wellbutrin but I heard this had an adverse affect on serotonin somehow.

I'm gonna ask for the one Thisweekforsure mentioned doxepin just in case.

Hey I really love the support and care you guys offer in this forum I feel it's actually genuine and not gimmicky and fraudulent like other websites. I appreciate yall for real for guiding me through this rough patch with tramadol.