Using an antidepressant while detoxing off opiates with subs
    Roosta23 is offline New Member

Default Using an antidepressant while detoxing off opiates with subs

Hi,
    I have another post with my plan to start a sub taper in the next week for a 120mg oxy addiction.
    Tomm i hope to find a psychiatrist in my area who can prescribe me some of the non narcotics
    that help with withdrawal but more importantly an antidepressant or mood stabilizer that is long overdue
    and will help manage,anxiety,depression, possible OCD and ADD. i know its trick to find the right SSRI for each individual,but i have heard lexapro is a decent one. Can anyone tell me there experience with lexapro or other
    antidepressants while detoxing??????
    I am really hoping to use all my resources and fine tune my detox with the right meds and dosages
    for the softest landing possible.
    thank you and god bless
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-20-2014 at 09:17 PM.

pillpoppn is offline Banned

Hi I am currently detoxing also off of 120mg/day oxy.

I'm doing it cold turkey - not fun; but I had to.

I am lucky that I do have a cocktail of mood stabilizers to help me through; however I would strongly advise to get properly diagnosed before getting a script. My disorders are Bipolar 2 (mood swings, leaning towards depression) and ADHD (lack of focus due to trauma).

I take a small dose of prozac, lamotrigine (lamictal), topomax (topirimate), abilify, and clonazepam (klonopin). The names differ b/w US and CAN.

I certainly think they have been helping stabilize my brain during detox. In fact, I was put on these types of meds at one of the drug treatment centres I primarily attended.

Again, everyone is different and I would consult with a psychiatrist.

All the best!!

PP

adelitaashmi is offline New Member

Basically, detoxification means cleaning the blood vessels. This is done by removing poisons from the blood vessels in the liver, where poisons are processed for elimination. The whole whole body also removes poisons through the renal system, intestines, lungs, lymph and skin. However, when this system is affected, poisons aren't properly strained and every cell in the individual is negatively affected. As, I am not very familiar to this but I just put my knowledge what I knows.

Might be I am wrongs, for this I apologies.

Thanks!
    avanscure

ARTIST658 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roosta23 View Post
    Hi,
    I have another post with my plan to start a sub taper in the next week for a 120mg oxy addiction.
    Tomm i hope to find a psychiatrist in my area who can prescribe me some of the non narcotics
    that help with withdrawal but more importantly an antidepressant or mood stabilizer that is long overdue
    and will help manage,anxiety,depression, possible OCD and ADD. i know its trick to find the right SSRI for each individual,but i have heard lexapro is a decent one. Can anyone tell me there experience with lexapro or other
    antidepressants while detoxing??????
    I am really hoping to use all my resources and fine tune my detox with the right meds and dosages
    for the softest landing possible.
    thank you and god bless

While you are in the midst of a suboxone taper, your brain chemistry is going to be going through a lot of adjustments. Opiates, including subs, affect the reuptake of neurotransmitters (dopamine, serotonin) that affect our moods. Once we are clean from all drugs, including the subs, our body needs time to acclimate. It will take time away from the drugs for your brain chemistry to heal. I do not suggest adding an antidepressant - which will also affect those same neurotransmitters - during this time.

There really isn't an easy-breezy way past this hurdle - it's one of those things that just requires time. You can't know how much of these mental health issues are coming from you - and what's coming from the drugs. The only way to find out is to experience life clean of all drugs for a while.

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.