Results 1 to 7 of 7
Using Norco to quit Tramadol
  1. #1
    heymj is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    36

    Default Using Norco to quit Tramadol

    Hi all, I am using prescribed Tramadol to treat very painful neuropathy. I take 1 50 mg tablet 3 to 4 times a day. I have been taking it for about 3 years. I really want to quit. I’m thinking of using Norco to slowly taper off Tramadol, then slowly tapering off Norco. My reason for doing this is because Tramadol has both antidepressant qualities and opiate pain killing. I’m thinking that is I slowly switch to Norco, I would be dealing with just the antidepressant problem and after that passes then I could deal with opiate dependence. This would help in that I would only be dealing with detoxing off one part instead of having to deal with both. Has anyone on here ever tried this? Does this make sense?

  2. #2
    Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heymj View Post
    Hi all, I am using prescribed Tramadol to treat very painful neuropathy. I take 1 50 mg tablet 3 to 4 times a day. I have been taking it for about 3 years. I really want to quit. I’m thinking of using Norco to slowly taper off Tramadol, then slowly tapering off Norco. My reason for doing this is because Tramadol has both antidepressant qualities and opiate pain killing. I’m thinking that is I slowly switch to Norco, I would be dealing with just the antidepressant problem and after that passes then I could deal with opiate dependence. This would help in that I would only be dealing with detoxing off one part instead of having to deal with both. Has anyone on here ever tried this? Does this make sense?
    Welcome back to the forum. I see that you have quite a few threads from the past specifically regarding opiates? I personally would not use Norco or any other opiate to wean off the trams. That would be such a slippery slope for so many different reasons!

    You're correct about the trams having antidepressant effects and opiate effects and for that reason the withdrawals can be pretty awful to say the least! But, if you taper the trams slow enough you can absolutely avoid or at the very least drastically minimize any withdrawal symptoms. I would taper around 10% per week to be safe, you can always adjust the taper depending on how you feel? It's very important to keep and follow a schedule when tapering which means taking accurate doses at the same times everyday! Slow and steady wins the race! Best of luck to you. God bless us all!

    PS
    You can do this! Keep us posted?

  3. #3
    heymj is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    36

    Default

    So is it 10% of the original total or 10% of the total you are taking at the time. But how do you taper 10% of a a total of 200 mg per day of a 50 mg tablet? I guess you would be able to split a pill in half to taper the first round. Then after that it would be more and more difficult to taper. Can someone explain how to do this?

  4. #4
    Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heymj View Post
    So is it 10% of the original total or 10% of the total you are taking at the time. But how do you taper 10% of a a total of 200 mg per day of a 50 mg tablet? I guess you would be able to split a pill in half to taper the first round. Then after that it would be more and more difficult to taper. Can someone explain how to do this?
    I'll be back later tonight when I have some more time? I will explain to you in detail on how to taper those trams? Hang in there... God bless us all!

  5. #5
    Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    I'll be back later tonight when I have some more time? I will explain to you in detail on how to taper those trams? Hang in there... God bless us all!
    First off, are you taking 3 or 4 pills daily? You most likely can start with just 3 pills daily and be fine? You need to take your dose at the same times everyday! In this case I would dose one pill every 8 hours. You'll stay at 150mg/day (50mg x 3 pills) for the next 5-7 days, after 5-7 days you can start to taper by 10% (you may even be able to taper by 15% or 20% if it does not cause too much discomfort)? You'll then stay on that new dose for 5-7 days, rinse and repeat the process until you are off the trams! Basically you'll be shaving each dose with a file or emory board? You'll need to Google search the following - "The easiest way to taper Xanax, or any other benzo", it should be the 1st website listed (hughes 12)... Although this is for tapering xanax the same method can be used for tramadol? Please read through that article regarding the shaving method for tapering? If you follow this protocol then you'll be able to taper your tramadol with very little to no withdrawal! Best of luck to you... God bless us all!

  6. #6
    sjohnsun is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Ricky71,
    Sounds like a plan, I think I’ll try it.

  7. #7
    Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sjohnsun View Post
    Ricky71,
    Sounds like a plan, I think I’ll try it.
    Is this the same original poster of this thread but with a different username?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-15-2018 at 10:21 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22