Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sammy60
  • 1 Post By iloerose
Using Suboxone to detox from opiates
    sammy60 is offline New Member

Default Using Suboxone to detox from opiates

First, let me thank everyone for advice or personal experiences with these issues Im dealing with. I started using opiate medication for back pain about 5 yrs. ago. I went from norco to oxy 30's and thats when i knew i was in trouble. I went from 1/day to 5/day. I am finally ready to get off these pills for good. I have run out before and almost died(felt that way). Even though this has been under a Doctors care, it doesn't change anything. Ive heard that suboxone is a very good drug to help with detox. I hear probably 90% good and 10 % bad about suboxone. I dont know how I could ever have gotten myself in this position.I feel trapped. I would love to know how long i need to be off of the oxy before I can begin subs. Some say methadone is great, others say run from it. The bottom line with me is I an not looking for a maintenance drug, I want to be opiate free,

Kikker is offline Advanced Member

i also say run from the methadone. nasty, nasty drug that's for sure and a bear to get free from. welcome to the forum Sammy, glad u started the thread.

here is the link to the sub therapy plan that most everyone uses on the forum. used it myself and now enjoying a great clean life free of drugs.

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html

subs are an excellent tool to use. what u want to do is induct at the lowest possible dose that gets u stable, remain there for about a week or so, and then begin the taper process. do that and u should encounter very few problems.

in the sub therapy plan is a link to what is called the cows (clinical opiate withdrawal scale) sheet. that sheet scores ur withdrawal symptoms and assigns a number score to them. u want to be at a score of 26 or above before u take that first dose of sub. u would be in moderate to severe withdrawals when that happens. no fun for sure, but entirely necessary.

if u induct before achieving that 26 score it's possible u could go into precipated withdrawals which basically means withdrawals are on u in a quick moment, and are the most severe withdrawals u will ever experience. i can promise u that u never want that to happen. did it to myself by lying to my doctor and put myself into those pw's. thought i was gonna die. get to that score and remove all doubt.

read over the plan and lets go from there. it gives u all the info u will need. if u have additional questions just ask. someone is usually around most of the time. again welcome and congrats for making the right decision to get urself clean.

sammy60 is offline New Member

Thank you soo much and God bless you!
    Kikker likes this.

terry120635 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sammy60 View Post
    Thank you soo much and God bless you!
    well i will tell you my experience with subs, i never waited any time at all to be in withdraws from a opiate addiction....i had no withdraws and i took subs and that was it.....the subs worked and i was off of the percs 25 norco or percs a day.....i waited to go on subs sooooo long cuz of what i was hearing on this site about having to be in bad withdraws before you can take the subs, my doctor told me, we dont want you to get to that point of being in bad withdraws, its not necessary.....so my opinion is you dont have to check with the cows this site talks about....you dont have to be in withdraws at all.....im telling you, i never had no withdraws and im on subs.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Sammy:
    I don't know who you are Terry, but most doctors and people here will tell you that you DO NEED TO SCORE AT LEAST A 26 on the COWS worksheet. Follow what Kikker said. There are numerous stories here of people who have gone into precipitated w/d (very, very bad w/d) because they did not wait. Our own Cheeky will tell you that she did. You are asking for trouble and one heck of a ride if you do not wait. The COW 26 is non negotiable. From experience on this forum, I will tell you, you DO have to wait.

Peace,

Iloerose
    Kikker likes this.