Very worried, need to get a handle on this- baclofen problem
    story97 is offline New Member

Default Very worried, need to get a handle on this- baclofen problem

I'm taking subutex right now. been taking it for 7 years.

I had sciatica issues and my doctor prescribed baclofen.

over the next 2 year period my usage progressed on baclofen but reduced on subutex.

I need help and I need some advice on quitting.

Currently i'm taking 8 20mg baclofen per day.

I'm also prescribed 15mg of subutex but I most frequently take 4, or sometimes 2.

I need to get off this baclofen and I don't know how.

can someone give me some advice?

For info, i ended up accidentally getting prescriptions from two doctors and never stopped. I am prescribed 3 per day from both, i am taking 8
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-02-2018 at 10:00 AM.

I guess my real question is, if i start now, to taper off baclofen, how much should I reduce and how often?

i'm not in dire straits and i can continue getting enough, i just need to know how much i should taper so i can start

Unicorn74 is offline Member

Hi Story, glad you posted! I read up on Baclofen before replying to your post and understand that it can cause some pretty severe withdrawals. So, I recommend you make the decision and reduce SLOWLY. Do you have a pill cutter, to ensure accurate amounts?

You could experiment with what feels safe for you, reduce by a percentage of what you take, say 5% or 10% or whatever you feel is safe, see how that feels and stabilize on that new lower dosage. Then, reduce again.

I have done a tapered wean and CT detox off of opiates, but find myself back in another tapered wean. I take it very slowly so as not to experience dangerous withdrawals. Safety is KEY. It’s about finding that sweet spot and right balance. Everyone is different. Have you tried reducing the Baclofen before, or are you currently experimenting with reductions?

You can do this! There are so many others on here who have successfully taken their life back from various drugs. We have to be patient and listen to our bodies, at the same time keep that hunger alive to want to be free. I’m cheering you on! I’m sure others will respond soon. Hang in there!

Thank you for the reply.

I was originally taking 6 per day and within the last month it went to 8. that's when i said enough is enough.

I tried going from 8 to 7 but it's really tough to tell. Baclofen has a really short shelf life. if I start feeling withdrawal it's awful. if i let it go too long i start getting awful cramps, but at first I start feeling hopelessness. Like, i'm going to go broke, my family is all going to die, my pets are all about dead. now granted my family worries me anyway. i'm 51 and they are all 70+

but when that happens it's terrible. So i don't know where to go.

I'm also terrible at the math. if I cut 5% that would mean i need to go to 152 or if I cut 10% i'd go to 144. at that point if I went to 10% i could actually cut from 8 pills per day to 7 and get a close enough.

but then how long do I stay there before cutting again? and when i do so, how much? another 10%?

I feel like I could cut 10% without much trouble. if I cut to 7 pills (yes I have a pill cutter because i portion my subutex as to not take as much as prescribed) i take these twice per day. should I just change to taking 3.5 twice per day? or should I lower the dose and increase the frequency to keep me balanced?

Sorry for all the questions. I normally get at least 6 months of refills form one doctor and 3 months from the other (who i see every 3 months for the subutex).

I don't see a choice but to do this on my own, if I told either doctor I was taking as much as i am i think they'd flip and I'm terrified they'd cut me off and i'd be in big trouble.

I take care of my mother who is 75 and I work from home, so i need to be able to maintain my work.

I can do this, no question. I was prescribed 32mg of suboxone in the beginning, and I weaned myself down to 2 to 4mg without feeling any withdrawal. i don't know that I'll get that lucky on baclofen.

Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn74 View Post
    Hi Story, glad you posted! I read up on Baclofen before replying to your post and understand that it can cause some pretty severe withdrawals. So, I recommend you make the decision and reduce SLOWLY. Do you have a pill cutter, to ensure accurate amounts?

You could experiment with what feels safe for you, reduce by a percentage of what you take, say 5% or 10% or whatever you feel is safe, see how that feels and stabilize on that new lower dosage. Then, reduce again.

I have done a tapered wean and CT detox off of opiates, but find myself back in another tapered wean. I take it very slowly so as not to experience dangerous withdrawals. Safety is KEY. It’s about finding that sweet spot and right balance. Everyone is different. Have you tried reducing the Baclofen before, or are you currently experimenting with reductions?

You can do this! There are so many others on here who have successfully taken their life back from various drugs. We have to be patient and listen to our bodies, at the same time keep that hunger alive to want to be free. I’m cheering you on! I’m sure others will respond soon. Hang in there!
    Honestly it feels good to just talk about this. I've been wanting to do this for a couple months. i'm tired of sneaking around. the doctors both give me scripts without blinking. but I'll suffer the sciatic issues, I need off this stuff

also I didn't quite understand this part of your post.

CT detox off of opiates
    I don't know what CT is, and am not sure i understand how it relates. could you clarify that please?

This is new to me. i'm not familiar with drug lingo
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-02-2018 at 10:58 AM.

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Hey story. Welcome to the forum!! Here you'll get all the support and advice you could hope for. There are so many great people who can help you on your journey. I don't know much about baclofen or the withdrawals associated with it so I'm not gonna attempt to give you any insight that I don't have. I just wanted to say welcome and someone will be by to help you out. Congratulations again.

CT= Cold Turkey= stop taking it abruptly

Hope you have a great day!!
    Beef

Quote Originally Posted by Beefaroni7272 View Post
    Hey story. Welcome to the forum!! Here you'll get all the support and advice you could hope for. There are so many great people who can help you on your journey. I don't know much about baclofen or the withdrawals associated with it so I'm not gonna attempt to give you any insight that I don't have. I just wanted to say welcome and someone will be by to help you out. Congratulations again.

CT= Cold Turkey= stop taking it abruptly

Hope you have a great day!!
    Beef
    Ahhh ok thank you, I get it.

I tried just stopping these things and I learned it's a very bad idea.

What happened to me, I got terrible anxiety which i recognized, but i was, at the time, taking 4 per day. I just stopped. after a couple days (really started the first day) i was getting cramps in my feet and calves so bad I couldn't stay in bed. Had to walk around to get the cramps out.

Then I noticed I was getting a low grade fever at night.

Then, and this is the worst, is that feeling destitute. It was overwhelming. Now I wouldn't call it suicidal, but i could definitely see it heading that way. I felt like I was losing everything. very hard to explain.

After all this happened i started reading about the withdrawal symptoms and they matched up perfectly. I immediately went back on my 4 per day and was 100% the next day.

Baclofen is a weird thing for me. It helps my sciatic issues, but it also gives me a 'everything is ok' type feeling. not a high, just relief.

So my goal is to taper off to a point where I don't see the withdrawals and can manage it. I've noticed recently if I even go 2 hours past normal dosing time I start getting those bad worrying feelings again.

The other strange thing, is baclofen works like no other drug I've ever taken. it takes almost 2 hours before i feel 'ok' again. and it lasts a long time. I only dose twice per day.

That's why i was thinking maybe my body would react better if I increase dosing frequency but cut back the amounts. so take it 4 times per day at half dose.

Hopefully someone has some good ideas. I'm 100% sure i'll get it handled. just need to figure out the best method to doing it that will cause the least discomfort.

10years39days is online now Member

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear, but I feel like it would be wise to come clean with at least one of your physician(s) about this one. Baclofen withdrawal seems to be one of the more dangerous ones. Quitting abruptly can lead to serious side effects, including the potential to lose grip on reality and worse. If I was in your shoes, I would want/need a professional (like your doctor) to help keep you accountable. But first, I would make sure that your doctor is even aware of the dangers of suddenly stopping the medicine.

This forum will continue to support you, but I would defer to a trained medical professional about reducing/eliminating the Baclofen usage/abuse. It sounds like you're on a very high dose.

Sincerely wishing you the best.

I understand why you wouldn’t tell your doctor. It would possibly be dangerous if one doctor or both stopped the script, due to your need to taper. But if you don’t find success in tapering on your own, then definitely a doctor would be helpful. Since you’re ready and enough is enough, you sound very determined - thats great!

I would start by spreading them out more evenly through the day at smaller doses. That’s how I have come from 100mg Norco to 32.5 and it keeps it more balanced, helps prevent withdrawal symptoms. I recommend reducing by one pill, since you said you could probably do that. The lower you go, the slower you go - that’s what works for me. Maybe even try reducing by 1/2 pill on the first day. See how that feels. Stabilize there and wait until your brain & body adjust to the lower dose of 7.5 4x/day. If you feel confident in trying 7 pills @ 4x/day intervals, go for it!

I’m hoping someone with Baclofen experience jumps on soon to advise better. I know of the destitute feeling you mentioned. Very well. I get this during my lower dosage periods of weaning and after detoxing for a while. That’s why I’m going as slowly as possible now that I’m down as far as I am. I find the higher the dose, the more I can reduce. The lower the dose, the smaller I can reduce. And I know many people who also use this method.

When do you plan to start? Have you already started today? You really need to listen to your body, during this. I have faith in you! You know what the withdrawal symptoms are, already, so that’s good! Be safe while doing what you know you need to, for yourself!

Also, let your body adjust and stay at your reduced dosage for a week or so before reducing again. If you need longer to adjust, then just allow your body to tell you, your brain needs to acclimate to the reduction before you reduce again. Most successful way to do it, in my experience. I’ve successfully weaned off of Benzos and Antidepressants in the past, using this method. Slow and steady.

Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn74 View Post
    I understand why you wouldn’t tell your doctor. It would possibly be dangerous if one doctor or both stopped the script, due to your need to taper. But if you don’t find success in tapering on your own, then definitely a doctor would be helpful. Since you’re ready and enough is enough, you sound very determined - thats great!

I would start by spreading them out more evenly through the day at smaller doses. That’s how I have come from 100mg Norco to 32.5 and it keeps it more balanced, helps prevent withdrawal symptoms. I recommend reducing by one pill, since you said you could probably do that. The lower you go, the slower you go - that’s what works for me. Maybe even try reducing by 1/2 pill on the first day. See how that feels. Stabilize there and wait until your brain & body adjust to the lower dose of 7.5 4x/day. If you feel confident in trying 7 pills @ 4x/day intervals, go for it!

I’m hoping someone with Baclofen experience jumps on soon to advise better. I know of the destitute feeling you mentioned. Very well. I get this during my lower dosage periods of weaning and after detoxing for a while. That’s why I’m going as slowly as possible now that I’m down as far as I am. I find the higher the dose, the more I can reduce. The lower the dose, the smaller I can reduce. And I know many people who also use this method.

When do you plan to start? Have you already started today? You really need to listen to your body, during this. I have faith in you! You know what the withdrawal symptoms are, already, so that’s good! Be safe while doing what you know you need to, for yourself!
    Yes that's exactly why i don't want to. if I can't taper off myself I'll explain it to them then, I just can't risk that.

That does make sense about cutting less as you get lower.

i think i'll try one pill cut for 10 days then evaluate from there.

Thank you!

Just an update.

I went ahead and started last night cutting my dosage down by half a pill in the morning and another half on the second dose. That means I'm reducing my intake daily from 160 mg to 140 mg or about a 12.5% reduction.

If I don't notice any alarming changes I'll stick with this for a couple weeks and try cutting out another 10mg per day then.

I just got refills from both doctors so i've got 6 months to work it out. But I want to be off completely,. or at least back down to the 60mg per day long before 6 months.

Cross your fingers! so far so good!

If this works anything like my Subutex reduction i won't feel many issues during the first couple cuts, it's after that.

I reduced my intake of subutex by 60% straight off the bat when i did that and didn't feel anything. In fact I didn't start seeing issues until i got down to 2 mg per day, trying to cut further than that.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-03-2018 at 05:56 PM.

10years39days is online now Member

Congrats on taking that step! You’re doing what’s good and healthy for you! Keep it up and let us know how things go.

I’m sure there are other people out there battling against Baclofen as well. Your story will inspire them!

Quote Originally Posted by 10years39days View Post
    Congrats on taking that step! You’re doing what’s good and healthy for you! Keep it up and let us know how things go.

I’m sure there are other people out there battling against Baclofen as well. Your story will inspire them!
    I think I'm just lucky that i'm able to do this while not in a bad place where I'm out and am desperately low or out of meds.

That's why i'm doing this now, so i don't end up in that place.

So far so good. i haven't felt any bad repercussions, so i'm thinking we're in good shape.