Vicodin Use
    fibropatient is offline New Member

Default Vicodin Use

I've been on Vicodin for over 10 years. I never took more than the prescribed amount and never earlier than the 4-6 hour window. Yes, I'm still in some amount of pain; it never takes care of it 100%. I use this in combination with Tramadol.

I've read a lot of threads about addictions. I have a chronic illness and my doctor pretty much told me I'll be taking Vicodin for the rest of my life. I don't remember having real withdrawal when I go many hours without it. I start to have pain some days and it may be 12 hours later and I forget to take it. My doctor always warns me not to chase the pain and I've gotten better at it. But my limit is 4 every 24 hours.

I'm not judging anyone, I just want to understand. I can relate to severe pain and know how anxiety can drive you crazy, especially if you can't sleep. I guess I'm just asking what thought process do people go through when they start taking more and more? I watch Intervention and have seen people take 20-30 a day. How do they not die or care about the possibility? How do they not see where that leads? I have days I am in a lot of pain but would never dare abuse the medication.

My doctor tells me if I take them as prescribed and take them for no other reason than physical pain, I will not fall into the addiction path. Is this true? Her other comment was since I will never be able to cope with my pain without the medication, physical addiction isn't an issue.

Thoughts, comments? I really appreciate it and will take all feedback in a respectful manner.

Prettytony is offline Junior Member

There's a gene called THIQ that is believed to be responsible for predisposing whether a person has an "addictive personality " and will almost certainly abuse narcotics whether prescribed for legitimate reasons or not. The mental obsession to use more and more far outweighs any consequences. It's deeper than just not caring, if you have the thiq gene it's basically out of your control. You will always abuse narcotics as long as you take them. You don't seem to have the gene. And since your going to be on them for life, and you take them as prescribed I see very little risk of your life falling apart bc of Vicodin

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Prettytony View Post
    There's a gene called THIQ that is believed to be responsible for predisposing whether a person has an "addictive personality " and will almost certainly abuse narcotics whether prescribed for legitimate reasons or not. The mental obsession to use more and more far outweighs any consequences. It's deeper than just not caring, if you have the thiq gene it's basically out of your control. You will always abuse narcotics as long as you take them. You don't seem to have the gene. And since your going to be on them for life, and you take them as prescribed I see very little risk of your life falling apart bc of Vicodin
    Hello Prettytony - I've seen you posting in the forums from time to time but I noticed that you do not have a thread of your own! It would be great if you could start a thread and let use know your detailed history with pain meds or whatever meds you have used? That would give us a chance to get to know you and also you would have a place where the members can directly ask you questions, ask for advice and/or leave comments? I myself and I'm sure others will be looking forward to reading your thread and getting to know you better? Thank you,,, God bless us all!