• 1 Post By Lvg nghtmare
  • 1 Post By Maxheadrum
  • 1 Post By 10years39days
  • 1 Post By GoodMojo
Want to change my life but scared to withdraw. Please help
    Tiptopmensshop is offline New Member

Default Want to change my life but scared to withdraw. Please help

Hi all,

I am new to this but am trying to get some help. I have been interested in stopping for awhile now but have not had the guts to. I am finally ready to change my life for the better but I am extremely nervous. I have been taking 180-200 oxy but obviously ggradually increased to that since the start with just a tiny bit. What is the best way to get off this with having as little withdraw side effects as possible. I do not want to lose my job or my family. I have a few Suboxone but have never taken them before. I was told this would make it so I had no withdraw side effects and could go along with my day like normal. Is this true? For anyone that can help me I am so ready to do this. Please any help or words of encouragement would be amazing

Maxheadrum is offline Member

Tip top-

I was about to log off for the night and get a little shut eye but I saw your post and thought I'd share a few thoughts with you.

First, it takes incredible guts and courage to admit you need to step away from the insanity of addiction. Everyone on this site knows what you are dealing with and knows what it's like to kick.

It's very difficult to give anyone advice on medication. I can tell you this, I was a heavy user of Oxy which led me down the path of suboxone. Suboxone is a method to getting to full recovery but it is only one step. I battled that stuff for a year and a half after a long multi year battle with Oxy addiction. It is an extremely powerful drug and one i would use serious caution with.

Unfortunately, there are many (including me) who used suboxone as a bridge drug. Meaning I would take it when I ran out of Oxy. It snow balled on me fast and I wouldn't recommend that journey to the devil himself.

I will say this. There is a recipe called the Thomas Recipe. This is a decent link but I would be VERY careful with the benzo's since they come with their own addictive issues.

https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/the-thomas-recipe/#gref

Withdrawal is a very scary thing to conceptualize. All I can say is that it isn't nearly as tough as we give it credit for.

The only real recovery medication that works is time. This site helped me tremendously during the acute phase of W/D. Stay positive and read posts from others. And it helps to post your thoughts on here. People do care and you are talking to a community of addicts and many of them are in long term recovery. We are all here for you!

I have about 47 days clean now and I thank god for every day. Stay strong and know you can do this!!

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello Tip top welcome to the fourm. You have come to the right place for support. Max gave you some awesome advice. Can you give us some more history on how long you have used Opiates? Have you ever tried to quit before. Imo you should try everything possible to quit the oxys before thinking of going to subs. Have you gotten any face to face support Na Aa counseling thearpy? Keep reading and posting we are all here to support you.
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

Tiptopmensshop is offline New Member

Hi all,

Thanks for the support so far! So I have been to NA and AA meetings. I have been using for about 9 months. Since then I have not tried to stop again I am very scared of the effects of withdraw. I do not want to change to take subs for the log run but i simply want to find the best way to easy the withdraw symptoms as i have heard how simply awful they can be. If I was to taper down on oxy and then taper down as well on subs would I be ok? My biggest concern right now is really getting off the oxy and proving to myself there is a better way to live without spending 20,000 on rehab. I know I want to change my life. I am ready

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Hey tip top. Welcome to the forum. As you can see there are a great bunch of people here who will help you on your journey to get clean. I too was a oxy user abuser and transitioned to subs and was on them for five long years at a crazy high dose. I then tapered myself down to 1mg/day and jumped. It has been a brutal ride and 1mg is still a hefty dose of subs, but I didn't know any better. And had zero support from my dr. But today I'm coming up on 5 months clean and never have to use again.

I'd have to agree with lvg. Subs should be your last choice in this marathon. Try everything else first. C/T, tapering try those first. Subs are crazy strong (30 times stronger than morphine) and shouldn't be used on an as needed basis to help get you through the worst of it. With that being said we are here to support you whatever your decision may be. This place is amazing and helped me so much.

I can promise you there is a way and you can get off these and living clean is so much better than I could have ever hoped for. It only gets better. I know max mentioned the Thomas recipe. It will really help get you right. It's not a miracle but it definitely helps. Careful with the benzos though as he suggested.

There is no easy way through the w/d process unfortunately. (Believe me we have all looked) like max said time is the greatest healer and it will get better, but it takes time. We didn't get this way in a day so it's gonna take some time for our bodies to heal.

Let us know what your plans are moving forward. We are here to help!!
    Congratulations and welcome!
    Beef

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hey Tip top, I get that you are scared we all came here scared... I kept using Opiates because I didn't want to go through withdrawals that led to 30+ Years of Active abuse. I wish someone would have told me that this Diease of Addiction is Progressive and Fatal. You are taking short acting Opiates the subs are a whole other beast believe me... I have searched high and low for a magical pill to get through the withdrawals with ease haven't found it. We abused our bodies with drugs so we have to sufferer alittle ya know. If it we're easy we would have not ended up here and we are the lucky ones some don't have that chance. Have you tried to taper off the oxys? Or have you tried coldturkey? The withdrawals from the oxys should come and go pretty quick but than the Mental journey to staying clean. Are you still in the rooms? Keep posting and reading let us know what your plans moving forward are...

Maxheadrum is offline Member

I would fully support what Beef says and I found myself reading LVG's comment over and over again. Because it's very true.

This disease of addiction is progressive and fatal.

Those are some hard and sobering facts.

I hope you are finding your god given courage to rise up and say to yourself "I never have to use again".

That is a powerful statement and it's also very true.

10years39days is offline Member

TipTop - welcome to the forum! Looks like you’ve already gotten some amazing advice. I was an oxy/perc abuser for a at least a few years, and then I was prescribed Suboxone for 10 years (way too long) to overcome my oxy addiction.

Personally Suboxone saved my life, but it also did a lot of damage to my body. It’s a double edged sword. The sub allowed me to change my destructive behaviors and transform my life in a positive way.

If you’ve already made the decision to quit oxy, then I would suggest not opening your life up to Suboxone. It’s just as addictive...and at the end of the day we are all addicts.

Don’t ride the sub train if you don’t have to.

GoodMojo is offline New Member

Hi TipTop! Quitting is a tough thing to contemplate, let alone accomplish. I did read a very helpful post here to the effect “don’t fear it (withdrawals) because it may not be that bad.”

In my case, I’ve been through Fentanyl withdrawals (a total beast of an experience), as well as rapid opiate detox (almost no withdrawal, but ridiculously expensive). I’ve also been through oxycodone withdrawal, which was only slightly better than Fentanyl withdrawals.

I’d agree with everyone saying to avoid the subs if possible, just respect them. They are a hard train to get off of!

There are things that might ease your withdrawals without resorting to subs. I found that gabapentin or Lyrica almost eliminated withdrawal symptoms, anxiety and craving. Clonidine did as well, but it made me groggy and unbelievably fatigued. I use medical marijuana, but it was only partially useful for insomnia - the withdrawals still broke through. The Thomas Recipe is a good thing too! I avoided benzodiazepines though, as they cause hallucinations and odd delusions for me, and can be fiercely addictive. Some people find them useful though.

Pick a date that you can have at least four days off from all responsibilities, and ride it out. The first 48 hours were the toughest for me, day three was somewhat functional, and it all finally calmed down on day four. Keep in mind tho, that learning to live opiate free is awkward and clumsy at first, and you may have trouble adjusting. I know I did! Rest assured that many people have gone through what you’re facing. You are not alone.

Also, be kind and patient with yourself. At least the best you can.

Regards!
    Mojo
    ForMe30 likes this.

MamaByrd is offline New Member

I hope I am not late since I am new to this forum. First I would like to say that I just joined today. I was hesitant about it but glad that I did. These people are amazing at giving advice and encouraging you and I so far have had NO JUDGMENT at all. Hopefully I wont have any. It takes an addict to know an addict and therefor to help and understand an addict. To me the hardest part is admitting your addicted. I would justify my needs for medication. This is my second detox but I promise its my last. I guess I didnt learn my lesson the first time. In 2013 I broke the bone that comes out of the spine in my back. It ruptured a few disc and when I went to the Dr my options was surgery or pain management. I had a 6 month old at the time and had never had surgery and was afraid and also didnt have the time for the down time. So off to pain management I went. So young and dumb and not aware of the horror I had allowed myself into. I was put on percocet 10 every 4 hours. I took my medication as directed but noticed I was addicted and fast. After 2 years of being in pain management I told them I want my problem solved. Not covered up. They told me all they could do was to continue to prescribe medication that I wouldnt get better that I would only get worse because I also had degenerative disc diseases. That I would need medication for the rest of my life to function, That was not the right answer for me. So I quit going. I had some awful withdrawals but I survived. I took it day at a time with a wonderful support group. I started doing kick boxing to strength my back. It was helping tremendously. I learned to tolerate my pain. I did my own physical therapy at home and I promise it does help! It was actually 2/16/16... I was doing my kick boxing video thinking I was hot >>>> and we had a small globe that was hanging down. I kept looking at it thinking yea I bet I could kick that high and tap it. I kicked. I felt a pop and a excruciating pain and went to the floor. Yea dumb. Funny now but dumb then. I went to the ER to find out that I had chipped my spine. They explained that with my ruptured disc I had no cushion to stop my bones from connecting. Thats how it chipped. Back to the DR I go. Obviously their answer was pain management. I said hell no. Not again. Then fast forward unfortunately in June I had something extremely rare called a molar pregnancy. I had to have surgery. After surgery you get meds. I didnt think anything of it so I took them. After surgery I kept having issues. Found out I had a cyst on my ovary that was getting larger and larger and twisting causing bad pain. Once again I was fed medicine. Still didnt think of it because I was doubled over in pain. I had surgery again in January to remove the cyst and apparently my appendix was bad so it was removed. I also was diagnosed with endometriosis. Unfortunately I will have to end up having a hysterectomy which I am having second thoughts because since all the surgery I found I was getting addicted again. Thankfully this time it wsant as bad as the first time. I justified every pill I took. Now its technically Thursday so I am officially day 5. I did it cold turkey and to be completely honest the thing that has helped me the most is this forum. I am sorry my response was so long. I just wanted to give you a back ground to know that it is possible It will end. It is better. Also my dr mentioned before surgery again this time putting me in pain management once again and I said NOPE. Yes I have days where I hurt really bad but I know it will pass and its nothing like getting addicted and going thru this. I wanted to stop before it got bad like last time. I wish you all the best. Give yourself a goal to work for. A reason. My reason are my kids. I am having issues sleeping so I am just sitting here writing to hopefully help someone that is in the same situation as me. Its always best to talk to someone. Especially someone that is there or been there and knows what you are dealing with and feeling. Take it one day at a time and remember sober life if a better life.
    I can do anything when it comes to my kids