Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Randy35
Withdrawing from opiates, craving
    10yruser is offline New Member

Default Withdrawing from opiates, craving

Hi,
    I've read numerous threads and I have heard of so many success stories. Can someone please advise?
    I have been on various prescription opiates for at least 13 years now due to chronic health conditions. Lately I have noticed that lately I have been taking an extra here and there, I run out a week early and found its a cycle. I had this idea to get clean. Just maybe it isn't the chronic pain anymore but that I am either an addict or dependant.
    It's been 29 days sine I stopped the Opana. It's been 1 week since I stopped the Roxy 15's. I have been listening to you all. Fresh air, eating, hot baths and talking to my spouse. Today I feel like I need a percocet. My doctor called and told me I need my meds.... I feel like I could just go and get the script, get them filled...
    Please advise. ....

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 10yruser View Post
    Hi,
    I've read numerous threads and I have heard of so many success stories. Can someone please advise?
    I have been on various prescription opiates for at least 13 years now due to chronic health conditions. Lately I have noticed that lately I have been taking an extra here and there, I run out a week early and found its a cycle. I had this idea to get clean. Just maybe it isn't the chronic pain anymore but that I am either an addict or dependant.
    It's been 29 days sine I stopped the Opana. It's been 1 week since I stopped the Roxy 15's. I have been listening to you all. Fresh air, eating, hot baths and talking to my spouse. Today I feel like I need a percocet. My doctor called and told me I need my meds.... I feel like I could just go and get the script, get them filled...
    Please advise. ....

Hello there.

Taking more meds than you should and running out early is not a god sign. I will tell you that many that have been on opiates for long periods of time for pain issues, then stop taking those pain meds for a period of time, find their actual pain was no where near what they thought it was. And many also find that OTC pain meds actually work! Only way to find out is to stop CT (cold turkey) and find out if it's the same for you.

Comes a time when we tell ourselves enough is enough. The opiates put our brains in a fog. What we think is real really isn't most of the time. Is it really worth it to get that refill? Only you can make that decision. Took me a long time to understand that. I was addicted over 18 years. Finally made it out and now have over 2 years clean. So it's definitely possible. I had knee pain and thought I needed them for years. It wasn't so. I found some tylenol, advil, or motrin actually helped!

I would urge you to stop the pain meds and see how you feel after 2-3 weeks. You'll feel lousy for about a week with the 3rd or 4th day being the worst of it. After that the days get better and better. Make a plan and stick to it.

Keep posting too as it really helps. We're here to help and support you through your journey to freedom!

Randy
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Grammyof5 is offline New Member

Hi 10yruser, your story sounds like mine. I've had Fibromyalgia & arthritis for most of my life. I'm in my 60's now. In the past 3 yrs I've had joint replacements, a low back fusion & a total abdominal surgery. Prior to all this I was on Vicodin 7-325 for the fibromyalgia pain. Now I'm on 10mg oxy 4 x a day, 15 mg MS Contin 2x a day, 60 mg cymbalta, 250mg lyrica, 400mg Celebrex, 0.5 mg Xanax & 4mg tizanidine & 400 mg Plaquinil, and 30mg adderal Er, with another 30mg adderal IR.
    Every time I'd ask my docs about cutting down the meds, I was told that I'm on a combination that works for me!!!
    So I started with a new counsler. He wants me to go into a detox facility. - But my Docs say "no", that I'm not an addict because I take my meds as directed (or less). So I want to try a gradual reduction of the pain meds. Then I just found out that I need to have another back surgery. So I don't know anymore! Are the opiates as bad as everything says?

10yruser is offline New Member

I suffered over 14 years through a rare brain disease while going through 2 failed back surgeries. I've also lost a kidney so I can't take alot of over the counter or prescription medications. I have chronic back and nerve ( head) pain.
    I was trying to be hopeful on many levels.. I wanted to see if I could live with out the opiates at the same time of respecting that the big pharmaceutical industry is lining their pockets with addiction. I'mean trying until next week. Tuesday.
    I have been off opana over a month and roxy 15's for just at a week...