Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes
Worried about taking suboxone too early
    Brotop is offline Member

Default Worried about taking suboxone too early

I got a prescription of suboxone today. The doctor told me till I start to get sick and have withdrawal symptoms before I start dosing. I don't want to take too early and throw myself into worse withdrawal. I am feeling pretty terrible now but don't know how terrible I should be feeling. This is my first time. My last dose was 3.5 mg of Vicodin 12 hours ago. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

You need to score a 26 on the COWS worksheet. You can Google it and be honnest with the scoring. You don't want to go into precipitated withdrawls. Don't take any comfort meds also. They will prolong the process.

Have you seen the suboxone therapy thread? It details the induction process start to finish. It's the top threat on the suboxone treatment sub forum. It says sticky on it. Give it a look and read it start to finish. It will help.

Post again and let us know how it's going.

Beef

Brotop is offline Member

Where is the suboxone treatment form. I don't see it

Click on prescription drug addiction and then it should be at the top

Brotop is offline Member

I would say I am a 23. It is almost 8pm here. I really don't want to be doing this in the middle of the night.
    When I saw the doctor today she told me to start later today. This was at 11am. Told me when I start to feel sick in the stomach to start. That started over 6 hours ago. Now my stomach is very upset and I have bad diarrhea now.
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

Hold out as long as you can. I have never been through p/w myself but I've read several members experiences with them and it isn't something you want to mess with. Do you have suboxone tabs or strips. There is a YouTube video from former member Harry Smooth which shows you how to cut the strips so you get the proper dosage . That way you can be ready to go when you induct. You're almost there. Just hang on a little bit longer and you'll be feeling much better. You don't want to rush it. You got this!

Beef

Brotop is offline Member

Sorry I forgot to thank you for the advice. Apparently I forgot my manners.

Just glad I can help. This is a great place. I was on subs for 5 years at a crazy high dosage. Right now I'm 2.5 months clean and feel great. I wouldn't have come this far without the support that I have recieved here. I remember when I stumbled here alone and afraid and some amazing people lifted me up. I know others will stop by with other input. Keep posting it helps.

Subs are a great tool if they are used properly. Let us know what you plan moving forward. I'll be checking in periodically throughout the night to see how you're doing.

Oh yeah, where are my manners. Welcome to the forum!!!!

Beef

Brotop is offline Member

I have the strips 8mg She started me at 1 1/2 strips. Said to start with a half. Of if I wasn't comfortable try a 1/4 and that if it wasnt helping after a couple hours to do another 1/4.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-28-2017 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Wrote wrong word

Brotop is offline Member

I am glad you are doing so well in your recovery!!

The goal is to start with the lowest possible dose to keep you stable. I'd say start with .5mg-1mg. Then wait 30 minutes see how you feel then take additional .5 mg every 20-30 minutes until you're stable. No human being needs 12 mg of suboxone every day. It is a crazy strong drug. Some estimate 30 times stronger than morphine. But if you induct at the lowest possible dose and follow Robert325 taper plan you'll be free of opiates in 6-8 weeks. It really works. Many members have used it successfully.

Thanks. It's been a roller coaster ride for sure. I didn't know about the taper plan until I stumbled here on day 11 without subs. I tapered down to 1mg which is still a pretty hefty dose to jump from. I wouldn't recommend it. But I have a great support system and this site and the members kept me pushing through. When you taper down make sure it's the lowest possible dose. They recommend .125mg-.25mg. Yes point 125 mg. I know it's a tiny little sliver but like I said it's a strong drug. I can tell you for sure that clean is way better!!!!! I never thought it would be this amazing. But it is possible!!! Can't wait for you to get there!!!

Brotop is offline Member

I got over 26 pretty quick. Seems like the number just spiked very quickly. I just took it like 15 minutes ago. I was given the 8mg tab. I took only a 1/4 of it. Wanted to start out as slow as possible. Hopefully this is going work well.

I'd wait 30 mins then see how you feel. And take smaller increments. Most people don't need more than 3mg or so to be stable. Less is more with subs. Funny drug like that. You should feel better soon.

Beef

Brotop is offline Member

I think I might be starting to turn more towards the better side and def not the worse side. I am glad I waited as long as I did. I will say one thing, holy saliva. I didn't know if I should spit it out or swallow it. I held it in my mouth till I could no longer take it then I swallowed (hope that wasn't wrong). The strip was def dissolved long before I swallowed.
    Thanks again for being here and answering my questions and offering advice.

Of course. Glad to help! Definitely swallow. I know they taste terrible like a terrible burnt orange. But keep them under your tongue and let them dissolve. Then swallow. Just keep taking small doses until you are stable. No w/d symptoms. And that will be your daily dose. We usually suggest you split the dose, one in the morning and another 8-10 hours after that. The worst thing you can do is take suboxone on an as needed basis. Follow the taper plan and this will be behind you in no time, you have a whole life free of the garbage to look forward to!!

You got this!! Keep up the good work!!
    Beef

Brotop is offline Member

You must have had a different flavor. Mine was a most terrible minty taste. Lol. All my withdrawal symptoms are not gone but I feel waaaaay better already. Should I wait like 2 hours and if the symptoms are not completely gone and take another 1/4. Where I took this so late at night wait 10 hours for my daily dose tomorrow morning (if of course I don't take any additional tonight). Thanks again Beef. Your the best. It's nice having someone to talk to about this where I have no one to ask advice about it.

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello Brotop welcome to the forum. Have you read Roberts subtaper plan. It's in the Suboxone forum the first sticky posted.
    ***Stay Strong for Today***

Like I said. Less is more. I'd continue dosing at .25mg- .5mg. Not a quarter to a half strip. Tiny slivers. Did you watch the YouTube video? After you dose wait about 20-30 minutes for it to work. And continue the process until you're stable. Like I said almost nobody needs more than 3-4mg of subs. Follow that taper plan!!! It really works!!

Brotop is offline Member

Lvg, I just read it again now. Before I took that initial dose of suboxone I had a very hard time concentrating on it. I was a bit overwhelmed at the time. I wish I had found this forum earlier, but very thankful I did now.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Whatever your daily dose winds up to be. Let's say for example you stabalize at 3.5 mg. So tomorrow when you wake up you want to take 1.75 mg. And then in 8-10 hours you'd take 1.75mg again. Then stay on that dose for 4-7 days and reduce by 25%. And stay on that dose for 4-7 days. Rinse and repeat.

The video Beef is talking about Harrysmooth

Brotop is offline Member

If people don't need that many subs why do the doctors give out so much. I have always been very conservative when taking medication. Always taking less than what I was given. I have always taken my pills orally, never snorted or shot. Never have taken anything that wasn't prescribed to me. Never have used any illegal drug. Not a puff of weed or even a cigarette. Hell I don't drink alcohol either. I have had 6 major knee surgeries first one starting before I turned 20. At the age of 30 was told I am in need of a total knee replacement. They were not willing to do it till the age of 40 (due to age and my lifestyle) at 35 they did a major knee surgery that involved cutting the bones in my leg to redistribute my weight and my 3rd acl reconstruction. About a year ago they stopped my pain meds even though they knew I was suffering just told me that they were being cracked down on and could no longer give them to me. Over the years I have saved a ton of pills knowing that day would eventually arrive. I never thought it was a problem because I am always in so much pain (working 50+ hours a week on my feet on concrete floors) that the pills were needed. I never felt high just enough to take the edge off of the pain. Recently I have been feeling lost and not like myself and I think it was pills and once I thought it, it was time to do something about it. I tried to start tapering myself down but couldn't seem to do it. I got down to 3.5 mg of Vicodin every 4 hours and that's all I could bear. After a week of trying I called a treatment center that prescribes suboxone and here I am 2 days later. I am very excited to try and get back to myself. I just want to truly thank everyone who reads my posts and offer their advice and support. It means more to me than you know.

I was prescribed 16/mg of subs a day. Not once in 5 years did my doctor try to taper me down or even think about reducing my dosage. Suboxone doctors who actually care and know about subs are few and far between. To become a sub doctor they have to attend a course taught by big pharma. They think subs should be a long term solution. Like my doctor did. If he had his way I'd be on them for the rest of my life. I noticed while I was tapering down that I felt better on the lower dose than I did when I was taking what was prescribed to me. It's a funny drug. Glad you're here. Just follow that taper plan and you won't need to worry about opiates anymore.

Hey Bro, How long were you taking the Vicodin and how much,have you tried to quit before. Why did you decide to start the subs. Just asking about you past use to help support you better.

Brotop is offline Member

First up I am a female lol I have been on and off Oxycodede since I was 16 never had problems going on or off. I have had other surgeries besides the knee surgeries. I also get kidney stones quite frequently. Anytime I get the Stones they would give me sizeable amount. I would never need as many as they gave me maybe like 1 for every 10 for instance. As you can imagine I saved up a pretty sizable amount. Always using the oldest first. When my mother passed away from stage 4 cancer I had just filled a script for them. After paying $200 for them cause she hit the donut hole of her prescription plan so I had to pay it out of pocket (I paid for them for her $200 every 26 days was too much for her) I wasn't about to throw them away. My doctor stopped writing oxy scripts for me about a year and a half ago gave my tramadol which I did not get any relief from. After using them for over a month I stopped and started with my reserves. Which has lasted me well over a year. 5 weeks ago when I started getting on the low side of the oxy I stopped them immediately and switched to the Vicodin. I had started taking some Vicodin with the oxy trying to slow down the oxy and switch. I was taking more Vicodin than I was oxy cause I found them a lot less stronger. I was slowly trying to cut myself back trying to completely stop but I couldn't get there. It was giving me severe anxiety attacks and depression cause I was so upset with what I had done to myself. I got down to the lowest that I could manage and I felt like a shell of what I once was and decided it was time to get some help. I am hoping this will work well for me. I am very worried about the amount of pain that I will be in with my knee, but I am just gonna have to suck it up some way because I want to feel like a human being again not just a body occupying space. The highest dose I was on was 40mg of oxy and 30mg of Vicodin (at the same time). I had myself down to 5mg of Vicodin every 4 hours. It was hell getting there and my body hated me for it. That was the least amount I could do and be somewhat functionable. I just couldn't bring it over the finish line on my own.

Brotop is offline Member

Beef, I'm sorry that that happened to you but very glad that you have learned about it and got to where you want and need to be.

Brotop is offline Member

It has now been over 2 hours mostly all the withdrawals are gone but it seems like there is still some there. It def feels manageable. Should I take the other 1/4 or just got to bed and see how I sleep and how I feel in the morning. I don't want to take anymore than what I really need. I don't want to replace one problem with another and I want to be very responsible and cautious.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brotop View Post
    If people don't need that many subs why do the doctors give out so much. I have always been very conservative when taking medication. Always taking less than what I was given. I have always taken my pills orally, never snorted or shot. Never have taken anything that wasn't prescribed to me. Never have used any illegal drug. Not a puff of weed or even a cigarette. Hell I don't drink alcohol either. I have had 6 major knee surgeries first one starting before I turned 20. At the age of 30 was told I am in need of a total knee replacement. They were not willing to do it till the age of 40 (due to age and my lifestyle) at 35 they did a major knee surgery that involved cutting the bones in my leg to redistribute my weight and my 3rd acl reconstruction. About a year ago they stopped my pain meds even though they knew I was suffering just told me that they were being cracked down on and could no longer give them to me. Over the years I have saved a ton of pills knowing that day would eventually arrive. I never thought it was a problem because I am always in so much pain (working 50+ hours a week on my feet on concrete floors) that the pills were needed. I never felt high just enough to take the edge off of the pain. Recently I have been feeling lost and not like myself and I think it was pills and once I thought it, it was time to do something about it. I tried to start tapering myself down but couldn't seem to do it. I got down to 3.5 mg of Vicodin every 4 hours and that's all I could bear. After a week of trying I called a treatment center thallpower and detert prescribes suboxone and here I am 2 days later. I am very excited to try and get back to myself. I just want to truly thank everyone who reads my posts and offer their advice and support. It means more to me than you know.

Hey Brotop -

I just finsihed reading your thread. You may not like what I have to say, but I have to be 100% honest and tell you that based on what you wrote I don't believe you're a candidate for Suboxone. You haven't abused your meds, and you haven't done things an addict would do. You've taken your meds as prescribed, and in fact taken less than prescribed and the pills you have accumulated proves it.

I know tapering fulll aginist opiates is not an easy thing to do. It takes willpower and determination. But there is a cold turkey (CT) jump that many have done successfully. Perhaps that would have been your best couurse of action?

I'll tell you right now that narcotic pain meds can actually prolong your pain. And you may not be in as much pain as you might believe. Yes, you've had some major problems with your knee(s) that will eventually and most likely cause you to have that knee replacement. But the pain you're having may be rebound pain caused by the opiates.

Only way to tell is to be off everything (narcotics and Suboxone) for at least 2 weeks to a month and then determine how bad things really are. Most people are shocked at the outcome. Their TRUE pain isn't nowhere near the severity they thought it to be, and OTC meds such as Tylenol, Motrin/Ibuprofin, and Aleve actually work.

With Suboxone you'll be on it a week or so and then need to taper down slow and steady before jumping to avoid wd symptoms. Beef has done an excellent job with his suggestions and advice, and getting you on the lowest possible dose of the subs. That's extremely important. He and others can and will help you all the way. I'm simply saying why be on the Suboxone if you don't have to?

Make no mistake, I'm not bashing the Suboxone. I switched form Methadone to Suboxone and spent nearly 9 months on the subs before tapering off. I'll have 4 years cleean this coming July. Subs saved my life and I will be forever grateful. But I had no other choice but to get on Suboxone. I tried every other method so many times I can't count them all. Suboxone was my last choice. Take it or die I was in so deep with my addiction.

Think it over carefully. You could stop taking the Suboxone now before you get a build up in your system. It has a long half life so a single dose can last a very long time. Just some thoughts I had reading your thread. Your life, your choice. Take care.

Randy
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-28-2017 at 10:52 PM.

Hello Brotop, I'm asking you if you ever stopped the oxys and vic's long enough to experience full on withdrawals. And if so did you go the sub route as to not feel the withdrawals. I can so identify with the pain you are going through. You will not know your True pain level until you are completely free of opiates. I to only got my legal prescriptions from a doctor eventually that one pill as prescribed to 1000 is still was not enough for this addict. My tolerance grew and so did the drugs. We all have to go through the withdrawal process it's not a cake walk so replacing one drug for another is a problem. I'm not saying that the sub route is not the answer there are many many people here now clean but you have to really want this for yourself. The subs are 30 time's Stronger than the Vic's that's why I asked have you tried to quit before?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast