Xanax withdrawals
    Uniquely Green is offline New Member

Question Xanax withdrawals

Hello, I need some advice.
    Ive been taking xanax since 2009 for panic attacks and anxiety. I've been taking .05 mg 3 times a day. I was put on it when I had breast cancer.
    My new doctor prescribed me 1mg twice a day. It made me too sleepy to take it so I cut it in half. When I told him he cut me back to 2. 0.05 mg a day. He claimed me taking the xanax plus my pain medication acts like >>>>>>. I've never gotten high off xanax, just calmed my brain down from thoughts going thru so fast and it helps to calm my brain down.
    I usually melt a 0.05 under my tongue in the morning. That's when my brain is working over time and my heart is racing. I take another one around 2pm when I leave the house because the same thing happens. And again before I go to bed. The doctor who prescribed them told me to place them under my tongue.

Since this new doctor cut me back I haven't left the house. I can't sleep at night and I'm shaking and crying all day, can't get anything done. My heart is skipping beats and my muscles twitch and I can't stop them. I've been on this dosage for the last 6 days but it feels like forever. The first few days I had excruciating headaches and vomiting. I'm still nauseous but I'm better now.
    I've had to cancel 2 trips for this summer and I dont know if I should tell the doctor or just keep doing what he told me to.
    I feel afraid all the time.
    Can anyone help advise me what to do? Is there something I can do to get thru this easier.
    Thank you in advance
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-28-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uniquely Green View Post
    Hello, I need some advice.
    Ive been taking xanax since 2009 for panic attacks and anxiety. I've been taking .05 mg 3 times a day. I was put on it when I had breast cancer.
    My new doctor prescribed me 1mg twice a day. It made me too sleepy to take it so I cut it in half. When I told him he cut me back to 2. 0.05 mg a day. He claimed me taking the xanax plus my pain medication acts like >>>>>>. I've never gotten high off xanax, just calmed my brain down from thoughts going thru so fast and it helps to calm my brain down.
    I usually melt a 0.05 under my tongue in the morning. That's when my brain is working over time and my heart is racing. I take another one around 2pm when I leave the house because the same thing happens. And again before I go to bed. The doctor who prescribed them told me to place them under my tongue.

Since this new doctor cut me back I haven't left the house. I can't sleep at night and I'm shaking and crying all day, can't get anything done. My heart is skipping beats and my muscles twitch and I can't stop them. I've been on this dosage for the last 6 days but it feels like forever. The first few days I had excruciating headaches and vomiting. I'm still nauseous but I'm better now.
    I've had to cancel 2 trips for this summer and I dont know if I should tell the doctor or just keep doing what he told me to.
    I feel afraid all the time.
    Can anyone help advise me what to do? Is there something I can do to get thru this easier.
    Thank you in advance
    Welcome to the forum. I'm not surprised that you are experiencing withdrawals from the xanax dose reduction. That was a huge reduction at 33%, when people are ready to get off of benzos the recommended taper is only 5-10% every 7-10 days!

So where do you go from here? This is what I would do right away, take your two .5mg xanax tabs and crush them up into one pile then separate the pile into three even piles, go back to dosing three times a day like you were before except now you're only dosing .33mg 3x/day! Dosing 3x/day again will help you because xanax has such a short half-life! You'll eventually feel better as your body/brain adjusts to the lower dosage of xanax.

The only benefit to taking the xanax sublingual (under the tounge) is that it gets into your system faster, if you take the xanax orally (swallow) on a empty stomach it will kick in pretty fast as well, either way they have pretty much the same half-life! You can look at this study for reference -

"Thirteen healthy volunteers received 1 mg of alprazolam, as the commercially available oral tablet, by sublingual and oral routes on two occasions in random sequence. Plasma alprazolam concentrations during 48 hours after each dose were measured by electron-capture gas-liquid chromatography. The peak plasma concentration after sublingual dosage was higher than after oral administration (17.3 >>. 14.9 ng/ml), and the time of peak concentration following sublingual administration was reached (1.17 >>. 1.73 hours after dose). However, these differences did not reach statistical significance. The mean total area under the plasma concentration curve for sublingual administration was slightly but not significantly larger than that following oral dosage (203.7 >>. 194.4 hr.ng/ml) and no significant differences between sublingual and oral dosage were found for elimination half-life (11.7 >>. 11.8 hours) or for clearance (86.4 >>. 92.4 ml/min). Thus, alprazolam absorption following sublingual administration is as rapid as after oral dosage on an empty stomach, and completeness of absorption is comparable. In clinical terms, sublingual and oral dosages of alprazolam are likely to be therapeutically equivalent. The sublingual route may be a useful alternative for panic disorder patients who cannot swallow pills or for those who do not have access to a liquid at the time of dosing."

You can also look up "water titration for benzodiazepines" to learn how to dose that way?

You'll still want to talk to your doctor and let him/her know that you are experiencing withdrawals from the dose reduction and see where that goes? I wouldn't mention anything to the doc about your dosing methods, times, amounts, etc. again, just let the doc know that you are taking it as prescribed! I hope this helps? Update when you can? Take care... God bless us all!

Thank you so much Ricky71 for your answer.

If I crush my tablet's where do I keep the rest of the crushed tablet's to keep it safe?

I'm just not having a good time of this. I also suffer Crohn's disease and it's set off by stress. So this isn't good. He cut my promethazine down to one tablet a day when I was able to take it every 4 hours for nausea. Which I've been suffering with both diarrhea (sorry tmi) and vomiting. I haven't left my house since I cut back. I just can't.

I've called the doctor on Tuesday. They said only call once and they would call back within 24 hours. I have not received a call yet. My husband said to call back, especially because he cut my nausea meds down to one a day.. but I can't bring myself to call again. I know he will not change it.

The thing is, I don't know why he did this? I've been on the same dose since 2009. Never had a problem with it.

There are more doctors in my town I could go see. I don't know if I should go see this doctor and see if he will put me back on my medications and I could quit seeing this doctor I'm going to now? I seen one doctor for 28 years. Then I switched to this new doctor because of my old doctors nurse yelling at me on the phone. I've only been seeing this new doctor since December and I'm afraid it will make me look bad.

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uniquely Green View Post
    Thank you so much Ricky71 for your answer.

If I crush my tablet's where do I keep the rest of the crushed tablet's to keep it safe?

I'm just not having a good time of this. I also suffer Crohn's disease and it's set off by stress. So this isn't good. He cut my promethazine down to one tablet a day when I was able to take it every 4 hours for nausea. Which I've been suffering with both diarrhea (sorry tmi) and vomiting. I haven't left my house since I cut back. I just can't.

I've called the doctor on Tuesday. They said only call once and they would call back within 24 hours. I have not received a call yet. My husband said to call back, especially because he cut my nausea meds down to one a day.. but I can't bring myself to call again. I know he will not change it.

The thing is, I don't know why he did this? I've been on the same dose since 2009. Never had a problem with it.

There are more doctors in my town I could go see. I don't know if I should go see this doctor and see if he will put me back on my medications and I could quit seeing this doctor I'm going to now? I seen one doctor for 28 years. Then I switched to this new doctor because of my old doctors nurse yelling at me on the phone. I've only been seeing this new doctor since December and I'm afraid it will make me look bad.
    After you crush the two tablets into 3 even piles you can store them in individual little pieces of foil or leave them separated on a plate and put the plate in a safe place? You can scoop the piles up with a business card or similar?

I would definitely seek out a new doctor or maybe even better yet set up an appointment with your old doc of 28 years, explaining why you left and that you would like to come back, even if the nurse was rude and was in the wrong I would just swallow my pride and lean towards this option? Good luck! Keep us updated on everything? God bless us all!

I can't go back. It's a huge Drs clinic and I filed a complaint against the doctor and the nurse. I received a letter back telling me I would have to find another doctor.

There is another doctor in town I'm going to try to get into see. Hopefully he can help me. It took my husband called their office today for them to call me back, I was too afraid too and refused to call them. The nurse finally called me back and said if the doctor wasn't comfortable giving me my medication back like I was originally taking them that he most likely will not change his mind. What gets me is, he took me off of my .05 mg / 100 tablet's 3 to 4 times a day..Which was really only 3 a day because I can only get it filled every 30 days, to 1mg twice a day at 60 tablet's . He tore the prescription up when I said that it makes me too sleepy and said well I don't feel comfortable giving you that much medication (Xanax)and I'm not tearing this script up. You need to come off of them. I hope you understand. Then I looked at the script and had wrote it for. 0.05 twice a day! I was in shock.. why give me 60 1 mg tablets twice a day and worry about the smaller dose of 0.5 mg 3 times a day? I don't get it.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-02-2017 at 05:14 PM.