Yes, I am an addict!
    boraborabob is offline New Member

Default Yes, I am an addict!

After years of abusing my back and suffering the consequences, the chronic pain got so bad a pain management doctor and my family doctor put me on 10/325 Hydrophone (3 a day as needed) about three years ago. I didn't think much about it except it would from time to time give me enough pain relief to have a normal day.

Well the pain got worse in Mar 2014. Turns out I had actually destroyed one disk and L4-L5 had actually self fused. But what was really killing me was the resulting Sciatica. I couldn't walk over 75 yards with pain so bad I had to stop. Pain from buttock to knees. Just plain worn out and sick and tired of pain I felt forced to make the leap of faith and get surgery. There was almost no disk left between 2-3, and 3-4. Was going to be a big surgery.

My heart surgeon had to write a release, I'm 74, since I had had 4 way bypass, AAA, etc a few years ago. In his report he cited three risks one of which I was a Hydrophone Addiction. This set me back and has been on my mind since. Actually he is correct. I am also addicted to food, air, nicotine and sex. All of which I haven't been able to get off of with my best efforts.

From my teenage years to about 50 I had at one time or another taken long term such things like weed, speed, cocaine, alcohol etc. All for the pleasure of getting high. Getting off of them never seemed to be a big challenge and I managed to become professionally and financially successful. Nicotine and food I have to admit failure at kicking. I'm overweight and start a new diet every day. Nicotine I have been on the patch. lozenges or the gum for 20 years. Every year I try around new years to ween off and always fail.

I could probably get "High" on Hydrophone if I tried. However I just to seem to take just enough to rid myself of most back pain off and on. I never gave much thought about taking it along with 8 other meds I need for heart, BP, Kidneys, etc every day. Until Oct 2013 when the govt decided it was bad for me. Have to go see doc every 30 days and get a new hand written prescription. Ok, guess this is like seat belts, govt is going to save me from myself.

The a few months later (I like to travel) a really sweet deal piped up in my e-mail and I decided to do a spur of the moment trip to the Turks for some sun. This is when I really found out I was no longer in control of my daily life. I would run out of pills. There was a solution for an exception for all of them except Hydrophone.

I started Googling the subject and found out the govt was attacking me, all doctors, etc. I was now in a pool of doctors who supply addicts and myself being treated like one of millions of people who take the drug recreationally. I have been fighting the system since. I just don't feel any harm to me or anybody else taking Hydrophone. I get much worse side effects from some of my blood pressure meds. In fact I don't seem to get any side effects except some level of pain relief.

Frankly I do have people I know that mix Hydro with Alcohol or whatever and seem to get "High". But that's their business.

Anyway the back surgery seems to have been successful. I'm down to phy ther and only pain left is due to surgery. Few more months I'll have few reasons to stay on Hydrophone. But I'm mad that the only reason I really want off is because the USA is making life difficult for me. And what will happen next time something big goes wrong with my body. I'll be 75 in a few months. Will I be able to get any pain relief? Scares me.

So given no choice I need to get off this drug if I want the freedom of movement or the fear the USA will come knocking at my door.. Well after 14 hours CT I discovered this was going to be tougher than I thought. Got all the normal stuff like severe RLS, loose bowl, stomach cramps, etc. Kind of like having the flu. So I need some help guys!

Leaves me with 3 choices. 1. Keep things as they are. I don't seem to feel any side effects and can afford it. 2. Let my doctors off the hook and buy on the street. The govt has made it the easiest drug to get now and pay the price. I'm rich so I can afford the $3-5 a pill, but will have some pressure (what if I run out) and I'm involved in something illegal.. 3. Get off and relieve the constant pressure of needing something.

Much as I hate the Govt controlling my life I'm to old to take them on and win. Got better things to do. My challenge is to Detox in some form even though I don't think it's bad for me. I'm concerned I won't be committed enough. However once off I'm not concerned since I've done it with many drugs in my younger days and never had the urge to go back. Haven't had a drink in 20 years and never think about type.

My doctor has suggested dropping from 10mg to 7.5 for a month, then .5 for a month, etc. What say yee?

JeffRob887 is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by boraborabob View Post
    After years of abusing my back and suffering the consequences, the chronic pain got so bad a pain management doctor and my family doctor put me on 10/325 Hydrophone (3 a day as needed) about three years ago. I didn't think much about it except it would from time to time give me enough pain relief to have a normal day.

Well the pain got worse in Mar 2014. Turns out I had actually destroyed one disk and L4-L5 had actually self fused. But what was really killing me was the resulting Sciatica. I couldn't walk over 75 yards with pain so bad I had to stop. Pain from buttock to knees. Just plain worn out and sick and tired of pain I felt forced to make the leap of faith and get surgery. There was almost no disk left between 2-3, and 3-4. Was going to be a big surgery.

My heart surgeon had to write a release, I'm 74, since I had had 4 way bypass, AAA, etc a few years ago. In his report he cited three risks one of which I was a Hydrophone Addiction. This set me back and has been on my mind since. Actually he is correct. I am also addicted to food, air, nicotine and sex. All of which I haven't been able to get off of with my best efforts.

From my teenage years to about 50 I had at one time or another taken long term such things like weed, speed, cocaine, alcohol etc. All for the pleasure of getting high. Getting off of them never seemed to be a big challenge and I managed to become professionally and financially successful. Nicotine and food I have to admit failure at kicking. I'm overweight and start a new diet every day. Nicotine I have been on the patch. lozenges or the gum for 20 years. Every year I try around new years to ween off and always fail.

I could probably get "High" on Hydrophone if I tried. However I just to seem to take just enough to rid myself of most back pain off and on. I never gave much thought about taking it along with 8 other meds I need for heart, BP, Kidneys, etc every day. Until Oct 2013 when the govt decided it was bad for me. Have to go see doc every 30 days and get a new hand written prescription. Ok, guess this is like seat belts, govt is going to save me from myself.

The a few months later (I like to travel) a really sweet deal piped up in my e-mail and I decided to do a spur of the moment trip to the Turks for some sun. This is when I really found out I was no longer in control of my daily life. I would run out of pills. There was a solution for an exception for all of them except Hydrophone.

I started Googling the subject and found out the govt was attacking me, all doctors, etc. I was now in a pool of doctors who supply addicts and myself being treated like one of millions of people who take the drug recreationally. I have been fighting the system since. I just don't feel any harm to me or anybody else taking Hydrophone. I get much worse side effects from some of my blood pressure meds. In fact I don't seem to get any side effects except some level of pain relief.

Frankly I do have people I know that mix Hydro with Alcohol or whatever and seem to get "High". But that's their business.

Anyway the back surgery seems to have been successful. I'm down to phy ther and only pain left is due to surgery. Few more months I'll have few reasons to stay on Hydrophone. But I'm mad that the only reason I really want off is because the USA is making life difficult for me. And what will happen next time something big goes wrong with my body. I'll be 75 in a few months. Will I be able to get any pain relief? Scares me.

So given no choice I need to get off this drug if I want the freedom of movement or the fear the USA will come knocking at my door.. Well after 14 hours CT I discovered this was going to be tougher than I thought. Got all the normal stuff like severe RLS, loose bowl, stomach cramps, etc. Kind of like having the flu. So I need some help guys!

Leaves me with 3 choices. 1. Keep things as they are. I don't seem to feel any side effects and can afford it. 2. Let my doctors off the hook and buy on the street. The govt has made it the easiest drug to get now and pay the price. I'm rich so I can afford the $3-5 a pill, but will have some pressure (what if I run out) and I'm involved in something illegal.. 3. Get off and relieve the constant pressure of needing something.

Much as I hate the Govt controlling my life I'm to old to take them on and win. Got better things to do. My challenge is to Detox in some form even though I don't think it's bad for me. I'm concerned I won't be committed enough. However once off I'm not concerned since I've done it with many drugs in my younger days and never had the urge to go back. Haven't had a drink in 20 years and never think about type.

My doctor has suggested dropping from 10mg to 7.5 for a month, then .5 for a month, etc. What say yee?
    Hi! Well, I'm glad that you have made up your mind. There is no age in recovery. Every one can recover! It is never too late. You can still do it. I would gladly support you sir! Good luck! Keep me updated!

boraborabob is offline New Member

Thanks, next doc apt is Dec 23rd. Guess it's when we will agree on a plan. He like me, and probably less so, doesn't really see a problem except the Government has a gun to our heads. Just no choice. Think we will agree to cut to 7.5mg as needed and hopefully drop me to around 20-22mg a day.

I've gone ahead and started. Kind of the Thomas thing, except I allready take Lomotil to control bowls for a IBS problem so will control that with them. Right now I just wait for sweats and RLS and take 5mg with 2 Advil and go about my business. Adds up to just under 30mg a day. Takes about .5 hrs to set in.

As my back heals they tell me I can be more active in about 45 days. Increase in exercise will probably help.

Thanks Again