Zopiclone Taper
    samwolf2404 is offline New Member

Default Zopiclone Taper

Hi,

I started taking Zopiclone in July alongside amitriptyline that I have been taking for a few years.

I take 10mg amitriptyline a night for sleep and have done for the last 3 years. I was going through a tough time in work, and got prescribed Zopiclone for 5 days, at first I was taking 3.75mg a night, last month I increased my dose to 7.5mg. I am now taking 7.5mg most nights, but some nights I’m taking an extra 3.75mg.

I’m looking to taper off and have come up with a taper, I just wondering if it will work, if I should be more gradual or just go cold turkey?

I was going to do:

7.5mg for 1 week. (2 x 3.75mg)
    5.62mg for 1 week. (1.5 x 3.75mg)
    3.75mg for 1 week. (1 x 3.75mg
    1.875 for 1 week. (0.5 x 3.75mg)

This will be alongside the 10mg of amitriptyline, should I increase the dose to counteract the decrease in dose from the Zopiclone? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Sam

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by samwolf2404 View Post
    Hi,

I started taking Zopiclone in July alongside amitriptyline that I have been taking for a few years.

I take 10mg amitriptyline a night for sleep and have done for the last 3 years. I was going through a tough time in work, and got prescribed Zopiclone for 5 days, at first I was taking 3.75mg a night, last month I increased my dose to 7.5mg. I am now taking 7.5mg most nights, but some nights I’m taking an extra 3.75mg.

I’m looking to taper off and have come up with a taper, I just wondering if it will work, if I should be more gradual or just go cold turkey?

I was going to do:

7.5mg for 1 week. (2 x 3.75mg)
    5.62mg for 1 week. (1.5 x 3.75mg)
    3.75mg for 1 week. (1 x 3.75mg
    1.875 for 1 week. (0.5 x 3.75mg)

This will be alongside the 10mg of amitriptyline, should I increase the dose to counteract the decrease in dose from the Zopiclone? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Sam

Hello Sam, welcome to the forum. You definitely do not want to cold turkey the Zopiclone! Zopiclone, although not a benzo has benzodiazepine like properties and for that reason alone a slow taper is in order! I'm not a doctor but in my personal opinion I would taper the Zopiclone as slow as possible so that you can minimize or even possibly eliminate any withdrawal symptoms?

Generally with benzos, a recommended safe taper would be around 5-10% reductions every 7-10 days? Your taper schedule may be too fast and aggressive? Your body will tell you if the taper is too fast, too slow, etc...? Listen to what your body and brain is telling you! If you are having withdrawal symptoms that are uncomfortable then slow down and taper by less or if you feel fine then perhaps you can speed up the process by tapering a bit faster and/or by a greater reduction in medication? I hope this info is of help to you? Update your thread often, keeping the forum posted on your taper could very well help other's in the future that are in a similar situation with the same medication? Best of luck
    to you... God bless us all!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    Hello Sam, welcome to the forum. You definitely do not want to cold turkey the Zopiclone! Zopiclone, although not a benzo has benzodiazepine like properties and for that reason alone a slow taper is in order! I'm not a doctor but in my personal opinion I would taper the Zopiclone as slow as possible so that you can minimize or even possibly eliminate any withdrawal symptoms?

Generally with benzos, a recommended safe taper would be around 5-10% reductions every 7-10 days? Your taper schedule may be too fast and aggressive? Your body will tell you if the taper is too fast, too slow, etc...? Listen to what your body and brain is telling you! If you are having withdrawal symptoms that are uncomfortable then slow down and taper by less or if you feel fine then perhaps you can speed up the process by tapering a bit faster and/or by a greater reduction in medication? I hope this info is of help to you? Update your thread often, keeping the forum posted on your taper could very well help other's in the future that are in a similar situation with the same medication? Best of luck
    to you... God bless us all!
    Hi Ricky,

Thank you for your advice. I tried to reduce the dose the last couple of evenings, I went down to 1.5 tablets (roughly 5.6mg), but as you suggested, I think this was too aggressive, my anxiety levels have been pretty high and had real trouble sleeping. I would like to drop by 10% as you suggested, but I’m just wondering how I would measure the dose correctly? The tablets are 3.75mg, would you advise getting a set of accurate scales to measure the 10% reduction?

Thank you for the response, appreciate the assistance.

Hi Ricky,

Thank you for your advice. I tried to reduce the dose the last couple of evenings, I went down to 1.5 tablets (roughly 5.6mg), but as you suggested, I think this was too aggressive, my anxiety levels have been pretty high and had real trouble sleeping. I would like to drop by 10% as you suggested, but I’m just wondering how I would measure the dose correctly? The tablets are 3.75mg, would you advise getting a set of accurate scales to measure the 10% reduction?

Thank you for the response, appreciate the assistance.

Sam, I think the easiest way for you to make the reductions that you need would be to use the "shaving method"? Google search "The easiest way to taper Xanax, or any other benzo", you'll want to look for the article from the "hughes12" webpage? Read the article thoroughly, it will give you step by step instructions on how to perform the "shaving method" for tapering? Let me know if you have any further questions and/or concerns? Keep the forum updated on your progress? Take care... God bless us all!

Thanks Ricky,

I am now down to taking 7.5mg consistently in the evening before bed. I will be using the shaving method to reduce my dose on Friday. I like to reduce on a Friday as I don’t work weekends, and don’t want to have any withdrawals while I have to be alert through the week. I’ll keep the thread updated throughout my progression.

UPDATE:

Was having trouble shaving the tablets as there is no reference point. I cut one tablet in to quarters. I took 1 + 3/4 of a tablet last night which works out to roughly 6.5mg Zopiclone. Slept fine, woke up a little groggy, but nothing severe. Will try and stay on this dosage for a week and then reduce by another 1/4. Will keep the thead updated.

Thanks

Sam

UPDATE:

Was having trouble shaving the tablets as there is no reference point. I cut one tablet in to quarters. I took 1 + 3/4 of a tablet last night which works out to roughly 6.5mg Zopiclone. Slept fine, woke up a little groggy, but nothing severe. Will try and stay on this dosage for a week and then reduce by another 1/4. Will keep the thead updated.

Thanks

Sam

Sam, you can use a ruler or make a template (outline of one of the pills drawn on a piece of paper) to keep track of how much you are shaving? If you shave a pill by approximately 10% you would then put the shaved pill in the outline of a full pill that you drew on a piece of paper then draw a line on the paper where the shaved point is? Kind of hard to explain that here in writing but hopefully it makes sense to you? But whatever works for you is what you should do? Just don't try to taper by too much or too fast otherwise you might experience some unwanted and unnecessary withdrawal symptoms? Just listen to your body and adjust the taper as needed so you are as comfortable as possible? Slow and steady wins the race! Keep us updated? God bless us all!

Update:

I have now got down to 3.75mg by tapering. I have been tapering by 1/4 of a 3.75mg tablet every 10 days,

I tried to taper too quickly at first every 5 days with 1/2 a 3.75mg tablet and it really effected my sleep. I’ve found 10 days tapering by just a 1/4 of a 3.75mg tablet to be the sweet spot with no disturbance in sleep and no withdrawals.

I’ll update once I am off the tablets with my full taper schedule.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-09-2019 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    Sam, you can use a ruler or make a template (outline of one of the pills drawn on a piece of paper) to keep track of how much you are shaving? If you shave a pill by approximately 10% you would then put the shaved pill in the outline of a full pill that you drew on a piece of paper then draw a line on the paper where the shaved point is? Kind of hard to explain that here in writing but hopefully it makes sense to you? But whatever works for you is what you should do? Just don't try to taper by too much or too fast otherwise you might experience some unwanted and unnecessary withdrawal symptoms? Just listen to your body and adjust the taper as needed so you are as comfortable as possible? Slow and steady wins the race! Keep us updated? God bless us all!
    Hi Ricky,

So I am still trying to taper off Zopiclone, I’ve got down to 3mg by shaving, but every time I try to reduce from this level, it disturbs my sleep and I end up taking an extra dose. I have been recommended to switch to a small dose of Diazepam to finish the taper. What would you recommend? Is the dose low enough now just to go cold turkey or should I switch to a small dose of diazepam?

Hi Ricky,

So I am still trying to taper off Zopiclone, I’ve got down to 3mg by shaving, but every time I try to reduce from this level, it disturbs my sleep and I end up taking an extra dose. I have been recommended to switch to a small dose of Diazepam to finish the taper. What would you recommend? Is the dose low enough now just to go cold turkey or should I switch to a small dose of diazepam?

Sam, It's been a long time since you updated? I'm a wimp when it comes to withdrawals so I would personally switch to the low dose of Valium and finish up the taper that way. The Valium has a very long half-life compared to the Zopiclone so the Valium should be easier/more comfortable to taper off? Even though I'm the only one who has replied to your thread there are many others who are reading I promise. So keep us updated, your journey may help someone else someday? Take care... God bless us all!