• 1 Post By Iwantoff2013
  • 1 Post By Phuzzylogic
  • 3 Post By Phuzzylogic
  • 1 Post By Phuzzylogic
  • 1 Post By Maninmirror
(2) 8/2mg Suboxone a day, to much for my former addiction
    Phuzzylogic is offline Junior Member

Default (2) 8/2mg Suboxone a day, to much for my former addiction

My doctor prescribed (2) 8/2mg Suboxone a day. She said to cut them into halves or even quarters and space them out for the day.

My useage history: I would take 12-15 Norco 10/325 at a time once or twice a day for a year straight. More or less depending on what I had at hand.
    Yes I am aware of liver and kidney damage. Both are functioning fine.

My life style: I live in Houston Texas. I work a very physical job as a fabricator outside year round. I do not drink or use any other drugs. I smoke and dip on occasion. I would like to think I have a fast metabolism due to the fact that I do not gain weight very easily. And I have a high calorie diet. Consume large amounts of caffeine along with water and Gatorade to try to stay hydrated the best I can in the Texas heat.

Now I know my use age is low compared to methadone, Oxy, Roxy, and H users. That is besides the point and I do not wish to get into a contest on who took more.

My goal here is to get my dosage dialed in and forcast a tapering method to get off Suboxone totally. I am sad to say that I am fully aware that I am trading one habit it for another.

Any suggestions would be very helpful to me because I am new to this hole Suboxone lifestyle.

Thanks in advance!

Smilingstorm is offline Senior Member

Default Cat! Bette! Somo! Ricky71!

I love calling out the names I know that can help. Trust me, there are many more.. I just don't know them yet.
    Welcome to the boards! I'm a former pill popper. I have no experience with subs. But I do know that there are so many here that have tapered slowly, safely and effectively!
    Not sure what you mean about replacing one drug for the other. Just reread. If you have not taken subs... I really don't know why you would taper off of them. In my humble and inexperienced but incredibly intuitive opinion... Why would you go from one to the other if you can at least try to go clean?

clean is not a pi$$ing match here... Most of us just like to encourage and help anyone that wants to be clean. Pretty sure no one will want to flaunt their pill intake over anothe.

Can you do a search on Roberts Taper? Also search Cat. She is very helpful on this topic.

Sending you positive and discernment.

-Stormy
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-05-2016 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Realized what he meant
    dontwait likes this.

Stormy:
    I started on another forum with little help. All they wanted to-do is compare former dosages. Pi$$ing match.. (sorry, I am here for help and encouragement. That's it. I know that is not what this forum is about but I just wanted to be blunt.)

Replacing norcos for suboxone is what I mean. Going from one drug to another.

I've read Robert's Taper twice now and plan on reading it again. I'll search Cat, Bette, Somo and Ricky71 also for advice.

Irishgirl555 is offline Member

Hi there Phuzzy! So, have you already started taking the subs? I also started out at 16mg a day and then up to 20mg a day which is a very high dosage that people usually don't need...anyways, just wondering if you've started or are planning to start?

Irish: I took (1) 8/2mg dose this morning and do not plan to take another (dependin on WDs) until i figure out what my dosage should be and how many times a day. I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems I am prescribed a high dose.

That's why I am here. My doctor was basic My no help and has not been.

I am thinking that I should take (1) 8/2mg strip cut into 4, four times a day. What is your opinion?

Misty234 is offline Member

Phuzzy,

You should take the lowest dose you can that makes you feel stable so that you are not feeling any withdrawal symptoms I think 8mg is way to high. You should start at 1mg wait 90 minutes to see how you feel and if your not feeling good take another 1mg and repeat the process. The point is to take just enough sub so that you aren't experiencing any withdrawal symptoms.There will be more people stopping by with better advice but i you read Robert's plan then you know you should start at a low dose and work your way up. I think 8mg is just to high for you at this time. Take Care..Lisa

The more I read the more I think 8/2mg a day is to much. Should I try half that? Just not sure right now how to approach this. Since taking the 8/2mg strip I have no signs of WDs. Besides one instance of cold sweats that lasted a half hour or so.

Lisa:
    Your post popped up right after I got "post quick reply"

Thank you for that input.

That is going to be my plan for tomorrow.

1mg and wait 90mins. If I begin to experience WDs I will take 1mg more. Rinse and repeat.

What I do not understand is how are so many doctors under educated on this subject. Opiate addiction is an epidemic in the United States in my opinion. You would think doctors would research Suboxone and proper dosage thoroughly before just prescribing it to a patient. It seems more of a ploy to get the almighty dollar rather than the care and comfort of the patient. But that's just my opinion what do I know. Lol
    Misty234 likes this.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phuzzylogic View Post
    Lisa:
    Your post popped up right after I got "post quick reply"

Thank you for that input.

That is going to be my plan for tomorrow.

1mg and wait 90mins. If I begin to experience WDs I will take 1mg more. Rinse and repeat.

What I do not understand is how are so many doctors under educated on this subject. Opiate addiction is an epidemic in the United States in my opinion. You would think doctors would research Suboxone and proper dosage thoroughly before just prescribing it to a patient. It seems more of a ploy to get the almighty dollar rather than the care and comfort of the patient. But that's just my opinion what do I know. Lol
    Hi there, welcome.

You're absolutely right. The majority of Sub doctors don't have a clue when it comes to dosages and tapering patients off. Sadly, they are in it for the money. They only have to take a short "class" to become certified prescribers. My Sub doc would have kept me on Sub for life. Thankfully, I found this forum and Robert's taper plan.

Your doctor is like almost every other -- prescribing WAY too much Sub. Most rx opiate addicts are able to stabilize on 4 mg or less. No one needs 16 flipping mg of Sub.

If I were you, I'd find a low, stable dose. This may take a little trial and error. Try taking 3-4 mg per day and see how you feel. It's best to split your daily dose in half and take them at least 8-12 hours apart. Once you're completely stable (no physical withdrawal for at least 4-5 days), you can follow the taper plan.

We're here to help.

Kat

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantoff2013 View Post
    Hi there, welcome.

You're absolutely right. The majority of Sub doctors don't have a clue when it comes to dosages and tapering patients off. Sadly, they are in it for the money. They only have to take a short "class" to become certified prescribers. My Sub doc would have kept me on Sub for life. Thankfully, I found this forum and Robert's taper plan.

Your doctor is like almost every other -- prescribing WAY too much Sub. Most rx opiate addicts are able to stabilize on 4 mg or less. No one needs 16 flipping mg of Sub.

If I were you, I'd find a low, stable dose. This may take a little trial and error. Try taking 3-4 mg per day and see how you feel. It's best to split your daily dose in half and take them at least 8-12 hours apart. Once you're completely stable (no physical withdrawal for at least 4-5 days), you can follow the taper plan.

We're here to help.

Kat
    Thanks Kat!

Irishgirl555 is offline Member

I definitely agree with Kat...it might take some trial and error but listen to your body and start with as little as possible to feel stable...once you find the right dosage, you can start tapering...I'm down to 1mg now but was on 20mg almost 5 years ago and will be off soon...it's good you're off the pills and I'm sure you'll be off the subs in no time :-)
    Phuzzylogic and Maninmirror like this.

Talking

Thanks everyone for the input so far!

Maninmirror is offline Member

Hey man!
    Just read up on your post a bit. I'll read further into it tomorrow.
    The weekends can be slow on here so I'll try and jump on to check in.

I've had a very easy taper so far and a good experience.
    Don't treat this as trading in one for another, this is temporary.
    Get stable on as low as possible it will help your taper go smoothly.
    You will have to battle some symptoms but if done correctly they won't be bad.
    Stay determined and listen to the people here they are great.
    Bette (Iluvtosmile), cat (Catarina), Ming have helped me out tremendously.

I'll keep an eye out and welcome.. You are in good hands.
    You most likely do not need more than 8. If I were you I'd drop to 4 tomorrow split it.
    2 in morning and 2 at night. That's my opinion but others may disagree.
    From the start I wanted to stay as low as possible without suffering.
    You weren't taking all that much so 4 id say is suitable.
    I was taking 40-50 a day and stabilized at 3.5

Alright.. I'll check in when I can. Congrats on finding us and also on taking this step.

Oh yea.. Some thing that have helped me (I think)

Trying to eat only fresh and organic.. It's tough but when you can.
    Only water.. Alkalined water if possible, minimum 8 glasses.
    Vitamins.. If you don't order withdrawl ease get a multi and so b complex & magnesium. There's others.
    Exercise.. Start as soon as you can if you don't already.
    Occupy yourself with things.. Whatever it is hobbies, projects, books, shopping (you'll have more money )

Attitude is huge!!!! Don't underestimate your attitude.. Remember it's temporary you can push through many have succeeded before us.

Alright going to bed now haha. Have a good night.
    UncleLeo likes this.

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Thumbs up

My doctor prescribed (2) 8/2mg Suboxone a day. She said to cut them into halves or even quarters and space them out for the day.

My useage history: I would take 12-15 Norco 10/325 at a time once or twice a day for a year straight. More or less depending on what I had at hand.
    Yes I am aware of liver and kidney damage. Both are functioning fine.

My life style: I live in Houston Texas. I work a very physical job as a fabricator outside year round. I do not drink or use any other drugs. I smoke and dip on occasion. I would like to think I have a fast metabolism due to the fact that I do not gain weight very easily. And I have a high calorie diet. Consume large amounts of caffeine along with water and Gatorade to try to stay hydrated the best I can in the Texas heat.

Now I know my use age is low compared to methadone, Oxy, Roxy, and H users. That is besides the point and I do not wish to get into a contest on who took more.

My goal here is to get my dosage dialed in and forcast a tapering method to get off Suboxone totally. I am sad to say that I am fully aware that I am trading one habit it for another.

Any suggestions would be very helpful to me because I am new to this hole Suboxone lifestyle.

Thanks in advance!
    Phuzzy, I see you got this thread started now and that's great, you're in the right place with the best people to help you along your sub journey. My brother lives in Houston (Woodlands) by the way. Here's my suggestion, starting at 9am Saturday morning take 2mg then wait until 6pm and take 2mg more for a total of 4mg for the entire day! Do not take anymore sub after your 6pm dose, wait until 9am Sunday morning dose 2mg and then dose 2mg again at 6pm Sunday night. You are going to dose twice a day and at the same times everyday! You can adjust your dosage time but make sure it's at the same time everyday and 8-10 hours apart! I would stay at this dosage for the next 4 days or so, I think you will be stable on a total of 4mg/day, probably less but let's stay at the 4mg/day for now. In four days, if you feel stable (very little to no withdrawals) then you can do your first 25% reduction? If it takes a few more days before you are stable then that is okay, the point here is not to do your 25% reduction until you're stable? So you have read Robert's Sub Therapy/Taper plan? Read it over and over again until you know it like the back of your hand?

Here's a link to help you with the cutting of the Suboxone film courtesy of a member here called HarrySmooth - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttZ5ATKb-LE

So you only took the one 8mg strip today correct? At what time did you take the sub? How are you feeling so far? Keep us updated? You're gonna do great! I'll check back with you soon? Be well... God bless us all!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-06-2016 at 01:17 AM.

Ricky:
    I live in Conroe but work in downtown Houston. My doctor is in the woodlands.

Yes I only took the 8mg strip at 9am this morning. I have not spent much time thinking about how I feel or have felt threw the day to be honest.
    My main thing is cold sweats right now.

I like the set schedule idea and I am still thinking about my dosage. I will let y'all know what dose I decide on. I do feel the most comfortable with the idea of 2mg twice a day.

Thanks again everyone for the help!

SMALL UPDATE:
    Cold sweats, insomnia, keep tossing and turning.

I am going to try to hold off until at least noon (currently 3am cst) to reintroduce1-2mg of suboxone to my system.

SMALL UPDATE:
    Cold sweats, insomnia, keep tossing and turning.

I am going to try to hold off until at least noon (currently 3am cst) to reintroduce1-2mg of suboxone to my system.
    Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I was having trouble sleeping too (not WD related) so thought I'd hop online for a bit. It's quite odd that you're having symptoms since you took 8 mg this morning. That's actually a pretty high dose. How bad are the cold sweats? Do you have a sleep aid like Melatonin or anything else OTC? The Sub should be working so I'm not quite sure what to suggest. Did you allow the strip to completely dissolve under your tongue before swallowing? If not taken correctly, it can be much less effective. I'll check back with you.

Kat

Kat:
    I have never slept well at night. On top of fighting an upper resp. Infection. This prob wasn't the best time to make the jump but this is rare that I have two days off in a row.

Sweats arnt bad, I slept with 2 fans on me. This also could not be related to WDs. It could be a tyroid issue, I'm having it and my tes level checked this week.

I feel sluggesh, sick and have a bad attitude (nothing new)

Some of you may know the phrase "embrace the suck"
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-06-2016 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Testosterone level

I had some night sweats and slight insomnia till I stablized for a day or two.. Like Ricky said 4mg should be good.
    It may take a few days for you to start feeling stable.. Which in my case took 2 or 3 days once I found my dose.

Working out will probably help with your sleep issues.. I haven't worked out in 5 days and it caught up with me had a hard time last night I've always had some sleep issues myself.

My schedule at first was when I woke up (8a-10a) and then at night (6p-8p)

It will take a few days but it will get better!! You do have to embrace the suck for a few days but normalcy is around the corner.

Change that attitude if you can lol.. It will help you in the long run I promise.

Kat:
    I have never slept well at night. On top of fighting an upper resp. Infection. This prob wasn't the best time to make the jump but this is rare that I have two days off in a row.

Sweats arnt bad, I slept with 2 fans on me. This also could not be related to WDs. It could be a tyroid issue, I'm having it and my tes level checked this week.

I feel sluggesh, sick and have a bad attitude (nothing new)

Some of you may know the phrase "embrace the suck"
    Oh yeah -- know all about "embrace the suck". Hard to do. How are you feeling? I have a thyroid issue too and I believe it causes some of the icky sweats I experience. Ugh.

Let us know how you're doing today.

Kat
    Maninmirror likes this.

Maninmirror:
    Thanks for replying!
    I hit the gym early this morning.

My attitude is a while other deamon. You have to be in my shoes to understand. I do try to wake up in the bright side of the bed.
    Maninmirror likes this.

Kat:
    Yah icky sweats lol....

As far as for today, fatigue is my major issue. Until I took my first dose of 2mg around noon. The WDs basicly disappeared. After the gym I came home and have been relaxing. Vegging out on Netflix and doing bird origami. The whole idle hands are the devil's playground thing. I find myself smoking a lot more than normal. Which is a big concern because I am still sick.

You really have to excuse me with all this. I am not use to writing about myself. So it is hard for me to stay on track about one thing then jumping to another.

Thanks everyone for the support so far! It really does help.

Kat:
    Yah icky sweats lol....

As far as for today, fatigue is my major issue. Until I took my first dose of 2mg around noon. The WDs basicly disappeared. After the gym I came home and have been relaxing. Vegging out on Netflix and doing bird origami. The whole idle hands are the devil's playground thing. I find myself smoking a lot more than normal. Which is a big concern because I am still sick.

You really have to excuse me with all this. I am not use to writing about myself. So it is hard for me to stay on track about one thing then jumping to another.

Thanks everyone for the support so far! It really does help.
    No worries about jumping from one topic to another. It's pretty hard to concentrate or focus this early in recovery, especially since you just started Sub.

I'm glad you're feeling better and going to the gym. Give yourself a break. Vegging out is nothing to be worried about unless you make a habit of it.

Talk to you soon.
    Kat

That gym will pay off in the end.. Glad you're feeling better! You're on your way now it seems.

I know my attitude at the beginning was rough.. Just remember a lot of this mental.

Congrats man!!

dontwait is offline Junior Member

Hi Stormy! Do you know anyone who has experience with short term use suboxone? I've done roberts taper plan many times, but need help with a short plan. I see you post a lot, can you point someone to my post to help? Thanks!!

Maninnirror:
    I hit the gym 3-5 times a week. Nothing new

I know that this is 95% mental.

Insomina is what is going to kill me. From the Melatonin, PMs, and Nyquil I've got no sleep. Couple hours here and there. Just have not found the cure all for sleep.
    UncleLeo likes this.

Maninnirror:
    I hit the gym 3-5 times a week. Nothing new

I know that this is 95% mental.

Insomina is what is going to kill me. From the Melatonin, PMs, and Nyquil I've got no sleep. Couple hours here and there. Just have not found the cure all for sleep.
    I started sleeping well after about 3 days of inducing. Now as I get closer to the end with the lower doses having a hard time sleeping but not bad, getting 5-6 hours which isn't bad just not what I'm used to.

You'll get there, don't over do the medicines try and go the natural route. Oh and water water water!!
    Ming23 likes this.