Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By Alittletoolong
  • 2 Post By Alittletoolong
20 weeks pregnant - on 2mg suboxone. Wanting to taper off.
    Alittletoolong is offline New Member

Default 20 weeks pregnant - on 2mg suboxone. Wanting to taper off.

I have been on suboxone for 4 years, I had one child who is 3 on subutex and she did not suffer from NAS, although our hospital stay was horrible as the staff was very rude and judgemental. We were discharged after 5 days and we went home. Everything has been great since.

I am now 20 weeks pregnant and I have tapered from 4 mg down to 2mg. I see a special addiction Dr who prescribes my suboxone and is very supportive of my choice to taper slowly, she is also my obgyn.

My goal is to be off the suboxone by the time I deliver in April. I am not sure if others have tapered off from 2mg? How should I continue the taper? Any help and support is appreciated.

All ultrasounds have been fine and baby is healthy.

Help!

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alittletoolong View Post
    I have been on suboxone for 4 years, I had one child who is 3 on subutex and she did not suffer from NAS, although our hospital stay was horrible as the staff was very rude and judgemental. We were discharged after 5 days and we went home. Everything has been great since.

I am now 20 weeks pregnant and I have tapered from 4 mg down to 2mg. I see a special addiction Dr who prescribes my suboxone and is very supportive of my choice to taper slowly, she is also my obgyn.

My goal is to be off the suboxone by the time I deliver in April. I am not sure if others have tapered off from 2mg? How should I continue the taper? Any help and support is appreciated.

All ultrasounds have been fine and baby is healthy.

Help!

Welcome to the forum, Alittletoolong.

Congrats on the pregnancy. I've helped quite a few ladies taper down off Suboxone while pregnant. But it must be done correctly. Everything you feel in the way of symptoms the baby will also feel. The care and concern on the unborn child is of the utmost importance.

You have plenty of time to taper off before the baby is due. The taper plan we use here, that thousands have used and been successful with, is the one you should follow. You reduce your current dose by 25% and remain on that lower dose for at least 4 days. At the end of 4 days if you're stable with little or no wd's then you reduce again by 25% to the next lower dose.

If you're not stable after 4 days you remain on that dose until you are stable. Usually a day or two more and you're ok to reduce. It's very important not to reduce if you're not stable because wd symptoms will follow you the entire taper as you go lower in dose.

Make sure to take the Suboxone at the same time(s) everyday. That will help you feel your best. You can take one single dose or split it and take 2 seperate doses about 8-10 hours apart. We usually suggest splitting the dose over 1mg per day and one single dose when you get under 1mg daily. So take the 2mg once daily or take 1mg in the am and 1mg later about 8-10 hours apart. Up to you which way you choose.

If you're now stable on 2mg I would reduce tomorrow by 25% down to 1.5mg daily. Take one daily dose or .75mg twice per day. Do you have the sub film strips or pills? The film is much easier to cut into small doses, and the pills present a challenge, but we have methods to make it easier. Let us know which you have.

If you will follow a few suggestions we will not only get you off the sub before the baby is born, but do so in a manner that will produce the least amount of wd symptoms. Ask all the questions you have. You're in the right place for help and support I promise. Let us know how you're feeling often. Posting really helps. Read some threads and posts. Search for the ones that are in the same situation you are.

I'll check back later to see if you've responded with answers to the questions askedd. Take care and try to relax, everyhting is going to be fine.

Randy
    Ming23 likes this.

Hello!

Thank you for your reply. I have been following the plan many have followed.

I am currently down to .75 mg/day. I felt little to no withdrawals. Just a bit of restlessness especially in the wrists and legs.

My problem is I take Percocets for migraines which have been brutal this pregnancy. I think that may be why it's been a smooth sailing taper. I also take triptans for migraine therapy which you have to alternate with the Percocet as you get rebound head aches.

That is the full story, I only take one Percocets with a migraine every other day and I am not reliant on them. Everything I take is prescribed.

Today I will drop .50 for a few days. I am feeling fine. It's difficult to cut the pills they end up breaking and you have to take tiny pieces. But I hope to keep the taper going and be off this shortly.

Thank you for your support

Hello!

Thank you for your reply. I have been following the plan many have followed.

I am currently down to .75 mg/day. I felt little to no withdrawals. Just a bit of restlessness especially in the wrists and legs.

My problem is I take Percocets for migraines which have been brutal this pregnancy. I think that may be why it's been a smooth sailing taper. I also take triptans for migraine therapy which you have to alternate with the Percocet as you get rebound head aches.

That is the full story, I only take one Percocets with a migraine every other day and I am not reliant on them. Everything I take is prescribed.

Today I will drop .50 for a few days. I am feeling fine. It's difficult to cut the pills they end up breaking and you have to take tiny pieces. But I hope to keep the taper going and be off this shortly.

Thank you for your support

Thanks for the update!

Just want to make sure you know to take this slow at this point. Only reduce if you're stable. Spend at least 4 days on each dose and if stable reduce on the 5th day. If not stable spend another day or two on that dose as that usually makes the difference.

In taking the Percocets....I know you may believe they are helping your migraines, but theres literally no way they can. The subs binds so tightly to the receptors in the brain that any other opiate has no way of getting through. That's what the subs are designed for, to keep us out of wd's, and to keep us from using other opiates. Our minds and heads can play so many tricks on us. Taking the Percs is more of a placebo effect I'm guessing. I'm Not trying to be mean, judge you, or P*SS you off, I'm just being honest with you. You would have to be completely off the subs for several days to a week or more for any opiate such as the Percocets to do their job. And you're adding another drug to your system that can have an effect on the baby. Something to think about.

Please continue to post and update your progress. We're here to help and support you no matter what.

Randy
    Catrina likes this.

Today I have been able to stay at .50mg. I will stay here until stable then decrease at that time.

I feel great about the taper and I feel like I am in the last leg of this.

The pills are tough to cut but I'm making it work.

I had an ultra sound today baby is healthy and anomaly free. Coming in at gestational age of 22.3 weeks.

I expected this to be much harder, I want to let people know it's not the easiest thing to do but it is possible. Work with your body and your doctor.

I find it easier to split the dose into am and pm doses.

I will post updates daily.

Big hugs to everyone reading this x0x0x
    Leah987 likes this.

Today I have been on .50 mg. I had a bit of sweats and some yawning but otherwise I have been fine. No terrible symptoms.

To add I have been on suboxone for 4 years and have been clean off all other substances since starting suboxone.

I Will update tom

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Hello and Welcome,

I think that you started another thread the same day you started this one and I posted to you there. If that wasn't you, it was someone with the same story as your's. Randy has answered your questions and given you good advice so I won't repeat. I did post some advice on that other thread about how to divide your tablets so that you're sure your dose(s) are consistent. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to be absolutely sure you're being accurate and as you already know, even a small crumb of sub is powerful and will make a difference.

You can try to use a pill crusher or the back of s a spoon and crush your tablet into a fine powder. I think I recall that you have 2mg tablets. Is that true? Anyway, once you've crushed the tablet, divide the powder into equal piles. If you do have 2mg tablets, 4 even piles will be .5mg each. Pick up one of the piles using a business card or something similar folded in half and scoop up the powder and pour it under your tongue. Wrap each of the remaining piles in small pieces of foil being sure to mark each with the amount of sub that is in each pack so that you won't forget. As you reduce, just divide the powder in the same manner. For instance, if your next reduction of 25% will bring you to .375mg/day, then divide that tablet into four (.50 each pile). Take one of those piles and divide that into four and use three and wrap that remainder in a piece of foil and label it .125. and each of the other piles .5 The next day, you can take one of the .5 piles and divide that in half giving you two piles of .25mg. Use one of those PLUS the .125 you saved from the day before. If you need help making the divisions, just ask and someone will help but this is one way that will help to ensure that your doses are as accurate as possible.

You're doing great, by the way. Keep posting. You are coming up on the last leg of this taper so do it right and you'll be done in plenty of time before your baby is born. Best wishes. This is exciting stuff!!!

Peace,

Cat

Thank you for your reply.

I started a new job, I found it hard to continue the taper, and have been stuck at .50 to .75 a day. My job is amazing and is my dream come true. But it complicates the taper

I want to trek on with the taper but it's difficult.

I'm worried once I get farther along in the pregnancy the taper will get harder and harder.

Once I get more settled into the position I will definitely start to slowly drop again. Your advice with crushing it and putting it into tin foil I will try.

I want nothing more than a healthy baby with no nicu stay.

I started a new job, I found it hard to continue the taper, and have been stuck at .50 to .75 a day. My job is amazing and is my dream come true. But it complicates the taper

I want to trek on with the taper but it's difficult.

I'm worried once I get farther along in the pregnancy the taper will get harder and harder.

Once I get more settled into the position I will definitely start to slowly drop again. Your advice with crushing it and putting it into tin foil I will try.

I want nothing more than a healthy baby with no nicu stay.

Season's Greetings!

Try to make certain it's either .5mg or .75mg because theres a big difference in that .25mg between the two doses. Take the same amount at the same time everyday because you'll feel better doing so..

It gets a little more difficult once you're down under 1mg because the physical fight is only part of the battle. The mental fight can sometimes be much more of a challenge. You know you'll be off the subs soon and that can sometimes be like losing a friend, or crutch. Be determined to get off. Tell yourself no matter how severe or how easy any symptoms may be you're getting off before he baby arrives and that's all there is to it.

Spend at least 4 days on each dose. If stable after 4 days then reduce on the 5th day. If not stable after 4 days on any dose then take another day or two on that dose and see if that makes a difference. Many times we we lower our dose it can take our body a couple days to accept the newer dose. You will become stable on every dose if you allow enough time on that dose.

If you follow the taper plan closely you'll be off very soon and have as easy a time as possible, and your baby will not suffer and issues related to the taper.

Congrats on the new job. How exciting!

Randy

Hello!

I have gotten down to .25 a day. I find it hard at night. But during the day I am fine.

I don't have much longer until baby is here. I feel so close yet so far.

My job is very busy and requires 100% attention and focus.

I pray I will make it and get off this

Wavision is offline Member

Congrats on your progress. You've made it so far and are nearly ready to jump. Do you plan to taper lower or introduce skip days?

Keep us updated.

Hello,

Still on .25 mg finding it hard to get below this dose it seems like an impossible feat. I am due in a few weeks and cannot bear to have the baby on this medication.

I'm at a loss and struggling to get below this dose.

thefigurehead is offline Member

Hello,

Still on .25 mg finding it hard to get below this dose it seems like an impossible feat. I am due in a few weeks and cannot bear to have the baby on this medication.

I'm at a loss and struggling to get below this dose.
    Hi ALTL -

I, too was tapered down to .25 mg per day and I ended up jumping six days ago. Aside from some anxiety and feeling Antsy, I have been fine. Now I have the benefit of not being prego and being able to use comfort meds... you probably can't take anything. Is there anyway you can taper even farther down, like to .125 mg? That would be such a low dose it might be easier to skip days and jump...?

Thank you for your reply,

I saw my obgyn yesterday she also is a suboxone prescriber - cool eh.

She states as I am so low and I have worked so hard to get off.

She states you have to be clean for 5 half life's which is 2 weeks in order for the baby to not be observed.

She prescribed me 5mg morphine and clonazepam for the next 2 weeks to get off the suboxone.

Keep in mind I have been clean for 4 years and due to my situation she was comfortable doing so. I am aware of the risks of clonazepam and will not take it.

5 mg morphine compares to a very low dose of suboxone. I guess we will see how this goes....

Using morphine as a replacement for suboxone hasn't worked out as well as I thought although I have gotten down to .113 per day.

alm0stthere is offline New Member

Hey a littletoolong,
    I am due in March and had a hard time tapering at the end as well. My doctor did something similar and I am off now. I did things a little differently though (you did them better lol). Anyway, just wanted to say you are doing really well!!! I think you are going to get off fine and seem to have had somewhat better of a time than I had as far as how low you have gotten. I got stuck at 0.75mg before my doctor prescribed me something to get off. You can do it girl! I have a thread on here too. I just posted. It is a lot of rambling though on my earlier posts because I was kind of freaking out about how long it was taking me to taper. Here if you need to talk or something. ♡♡♡

How long did it take to get off the suboxone with something else?

What did you take if you don't mind?

Did you get withdrawal from what you took to get off suboxone?

I'm having some agonizing exhaustion and heart palpitations restless legs. It's been hard for me since last Thursday.

So baby is here!

I was at 1mg when I delivered. Baby has mild jitters and some muscle tone, but other then that no withdrawal symptoms. He barely cried and is very content. They have scored him for 5 days every 4 hours. His scores have never been above 4 on the finnegan scale.

They score on the chart, you need 3 consecutive scores of 8 to have medicine administered. Also if the baby is crying and will not calm for awhile then they will start to think about administering medicine when the parents and baby are very uncomfortable.

No nicu stay I was able to room with the baby the entire time, which has helped breastfeeding. Breast feeding helps the baby ween of the medicine and will help.

alm0stthere is offline New Member

Sorry I did not reply sooner. I had baby also by csection in March. That was not planned. Congratulations on your baby! It took 2 weeks for me to get off with something else. It was just norcos5/325. I had some semi bad withdrawal but not as bad as tapering withdrawals were going. In the hospital, it was still on my chart I had been on subutex. && They put drug abuse on my chart bc of subutex... thanks a lot! So embarrassing ...I lied and said I had been off subutex longer than I had though. I said since November I tapered off. What is crazy is pregnancy and postpartum symptoms can feel like withdrawal too bc I had sweats like hot/cold for a couple weeks after I left the hospital. I am also still very fatigued or exhausted as you said. I do think pregnancy exacerbated the symptoms of withdrawal..and theb you do not want the baby to be in too much stress so it is better to take something then go through that pregnant. How are you doing now? Did you feel judged at the hospital? Hope you and baby are doing well! Let me know. I will reply sooner..things have been crazy.