Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Randy35
24 hrs w/o oxy and only an 8 on COWS?
    StayingPositive33 is offline New Member

Default 24 hrs w/o oxy and only an 8 on COWS?

My husband saw his doctor this morning about starting suboxone. His doctor advised he wait longer (it was 17 hours at that time) but his physical symptoms were lacking. Now he is 24 hours past his last 30mg of oxy (snorted) and he only rates an 8 on the cows scale. He is struggling big time mentally though.

A little background - just a few weeks ago he was taking as much as 300mg of oxycontin a day. He saw a doctor and tapered down to 60 mg a day. Which I think is a great step! His dr prescribed 6 mg to start and then drop 1mg every 4 days for a 24-day taper.

I figured at the 24 hour point he would be physically in bad shape. He has tried to stop CT before and by this point he couldn't stay off the toilet! But then again he was taking a lot more oxy at that point. Anyway, wondering if anyone has ever taken so long tobrate higher on the scale. I know everyone is different obviously, just looking for insight. He's hanging in there really well!

StayingPositive33 is offline New Member

His dr set forth a suboxone schedule but he of course said if it needs to be adjusted then they would do so accordingly.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by StayingPositive33 View Post
    My husband saw his doctor this morning about starting suboxone. His doctor advised he wait longer (it was 17 hours at that time) but his physical symptoms were lacking. Now he is 24 hours past his last 30mg of oxy (snorted) and he only rates an 8 on the cows scale. He is struggling big time mentally though.

FORGET how much TIME has passed, all that matters is that COWS score!!! That's why we use it, it's the one true measure to a safe induction. It could take some people 24 hours, might take another person 36 hours, etc. With the COWS, you get to that 26 score no matter how much time has passed and then you induct!

Do your best to have him take .5mg - 1mg doses the first time. Then he should take .25mg doses after that until he's stable. Hopefully the doctor won't give him 4mg or more the first dose. That defeats the purpose. The purpose is to be on the LOWEST effect dose possible. If he gives him a large dose of sub he'll never know if a smaller dose might have done the job.

With sub the lower the dose the better you feel in most cases. Too much sub can have side effects and make some sick. Sub is a less is better drug, not a more is better one. Hard to grasp, but very true!!!
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.