Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By alm0stthere
  • 1 Post By alm0stthere
26 weeks pregnant & subutex taper
    alm0stthere is offline New Member

Default 26 weeks pregnant & subutex taper

Hi, I just wanted to talk about what I am doing to get suggestions or help I guess. I read on someone else's thread that if you have bad WD's that they will follow you through your taper? I really hope not. I am down to 1 mg of subutex a day (0.5mg twice a day). I have been breaking the 2mg pills myself, which definitely do not break evenly. I have a pill cutter which used to mess up with 8 mg pills and I don't want to chance it with the 2 bc fhey are so small. Anyway, I am finding it hard to do anything. I am depressed, sleep too much, fatigue, body aches, wake up with nose stuffy, hot/cold- chills/sweats etc. I would not care about these if I was not pregnant. I do take my next dose a couple hours sooner if I feel too >>>>>>. Most of those symptoms are 2 hours before i need to take my next dose. The fatigue and depression do not go away though. I am due in March and really want to get off. I went from 2mg to 1mg a week??? (I think )ago. At the beginning of my pregnancy, I was at 8mg. I tapered off another medication that I am now off of so now this is my main focus. This was a surprise pregnancy bc I was on BC and this is my first so I want to just make sure he will be born comfortably. I see the 25% plan. I am not comfortable on this dose yet since I jumped a mg a week ago. Will that make my taper harder? Do I just wait until I feel ok then maybe try to go longer than 12 hours? I just don't think I could break the pill anymore as it is already difficult? Any suggestions with that? It is the 2mg pill that I break into 4 pieces (sometimes unsuccessfully). Any and all advice is appreciated..even questions I did not ask. Thanks.
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by alm0stthere View Post
    Hi, I just wanted to talk about what I am doing to get suggestions or help I guess. I read on someone else's thread that if you have bad WD's that they will follow you through your taper? I really hope not. I am down to 1 mg of subutex a day (0.5mg twice a day). I have been breaking the 2mg pills myself, which definitely do not break evenly. I have a pill cutter which used to mess up with 8 mg pills and I don't want to chance it with the 2 bc fhey are so small. Anyway, I am finding it hard to do anything. I am depressed, sleep too much, fatigue, body aches, wake up with nose stuffy, hot/cold- chills/sweats etc. I would not care about these if I was not pregnant. I do take my next dose a couple hours sooner if I feel too >>>>>>. Most of those symptoms are 2 hours before i need to take my next dose. The fatigue and depression do not go away though. I am due in March and really want to get off. I went from 2mg to 1mg a week??? (I think )ago. At the beginning of my pregnancy, I was at 8mg. I tapered off another medication that I am now off of so now this is my main focus. This was a surprise pregnancy bc I was on BC and this is my first so I want to just make sure he will be born comfortably. I see the 25% plan. I am not comfortable on this dose yet since I jumped a mg a week ago. Will that make my taper harder? Do I just wait until I feel ok then maybe try to go longer than 12 hours? I just don't think I could break the pill anymore as it is already difficult? Any suggestions with that? It is the 2mg pill that I break into 4 pieces (sometimes unsuccessfully). Any and all advice is appreciated..even questions I did not ask. Thanks.
    Hi and Welcome,

You're having trouble stabilizing because your 50% reduction was just too much. You have a couple of choices right now. The first is to stick it out and you will stabilize. How long that takes is anyone's guess but it was only a week ago so I'm not surprised that you're having trouble. The other choice would be to increase your daily dose by a little bit and get stable quicker, wait until you are completely stable for a few days and then begin to reduce again but never by more than 25%. When you read that symptoms will follow you, it's when you continue to reduce BEFORE you are stable so it's important right now to do what it takes to become stable before you attempt any more reductions.

It is tough to divide the tablets accurately but it's very important to be sure that your doses are consistent. As you probably know even a crumb makes a difference and without consistency, it'll make everything harder. One way to divide your tablets instead of cutting them is to crush them either with a pill crusher or the back of a spoon. Once you have it into a fine powder, divide it into equal piles. If you decide to push through and stay at 1mg/day, taking .5 twice a day, then divide the pile into four and each pile will be .5. Pick up the powder using a business card folded in half (or something similar) and pour the powder under your tongue. Wrap each of the remaining piles in a small piece of foil and label them so that you know how much is in each pack. Once you are completely stable, then do your next reduction of 25% or down to .75mg/day. It's usually recommended that once you get under 1mg/day that you begin to dose once a day. I know right now that it sounds scary because your dose isn't holding you now but once you get stable, you should be fine dosing once a day. One thing at a time. Get stable however you choose to do it. You have until March so it won't put you far behind to up your dose a little now so that you feel better. If you follow the plan, even if you take a week at each dose you should be ready to jump by the end of January or early February so you still have time to do it right so that you aren't suffering. Especially because you're pregnant, you want to avoid that.

I hope this helps but if you have any other questions, just let us know. Be sure to keep posting and you'll get tons of support and advice. You're doing great but it can be even better if you just back up a little and not rush things.

Peace,

Cat

Thank you for replying! I guess because I was so close and I want to be off so bad that I push too hard. I am still having trouble a month later at 30 weeks so I should have looked sooner. I am still at 0.5mg but now I was given 0.1mg clonidine (started Dec 31st) so I have been trying to go 18 hours between doses instead or 12 hours. My sub doctor mentioned the pill crusher as well. He said do it like cocaine. I was so out of it fatiguewise at my appt from pregnancy (or wd....? who knows) that when he said do it like cocaine, I asked but doesn't it have to be sublingual (bc I thought he was saying to snort it too). Lol .. Anyway if I had looked here instead of being scared of what someone might say I would have seen the crush thing sooner. I feel like everything I have done for a month is in vain. Ugh so I should have gone up a little? Wow I am so stupid.
    Before I got down to 1mg, I was fine. It is the 0.5mg that is killing me. I went into severe withdrawal two days ago because i went too long without clonidine or sub and even after I took them, I had muscle spasms in my spine and I felt like i was going to have a seizure, could not sit still/focus...for 3 hours after taking them.
    Do I still have time? Alright so what do you think about the clonidine my sub dr gave me? (He used to be a pharmacist and addict himself). It lowers blood pressure so I was wary at first. Should I stop taking it and do just the subs? I really hated the every 12 hrs but I need to be patient. Agh I have wasted so much time. Can I do it in 10 weeks?
    So best plan that I am going to starting now is take 0.25 more when I need another sub so 0.75...question is do I keep pushing for 18 hours with that dose since I have clonidine or do I go back to every 12 hours and forget the clonidine? I will do the former for now since I have been taking a clonidine every 12 hrs anyway. Or actually scratch that. I am going to take 0.75 at midnight and try to stabilize every 12 hrs with 0.75 until I am stable. I will just take clonidine if I need to but I should not need to if i go back to taking a little more. Ugh why didnt I do this sooner? Let me know what you think of this. I have been so ready to jump that I did not think. Yea I am an idiot! Lol Thank you again so much! I will keep posting.

Revision to prev msg:
    * I woke up in severe withdrawal two days ago. I had crashed after not sleeping and woke up with the spasms and everything. I did not just sit around like that.
    *I really hated every 12 hrs for subs

Theres more mistakes but ya. I tried to edit and it said i took too long.

Idntjudgeu is offline New Member

Thank you for replying! I guess because I was so close and I want to be off so bad that I push too hard. I am still having trouble a month later at 30 weeks so I should have looked sooner. I am still at 0.5mg but now I was given 0.1mg clonidine (started Dec 31st) so I have been trying to go 18 hours between doses instead or 12 hours. My sub doctor mentioned the pill crusher as well. He said do it like cocaine. I was so out of it fatiguewise at my appt from pregnancy (or wd....? who knows) that when he said do it like cocaine, I asked but doesn't it have to be sublingual (bc I thought he was saying to snort it too). Lol .. Anyway if I had looked here instead of being scared of what someone might say I would have seen the crush thing sooner. I feel like everything I have done for a month is in vain. Ugh so I should have gone up a little? Wow I am so stupid.
    Before I got down to 1mg, I was fine. It is the 0.5mg that is killing me. I went into severe withdrawal two days ago because i went too long without clonidine or sub and even after I took them, I had muscle spasms in my spine and I felt like i was going to have a seizure, could not sit still/focus...for 3 hours after taking them.
    Do I still have time? Alright so what do you think about the clonidine my sub dr gave me? (He used to be a pharmacist and addict himself). It lowers blood pressure so I was wary at first. Should I stop taking it and do just the subs? I really hated the every 12 hrs but I need to be patient. Agh I have wasted so much time. Can I do it in 10 weeks?
    So best plan that I am going to starting now is take 0.25 more when I need another sub so 0.75...question is do I keep pushing for 18 hours with that dose since I have clonidine or do I go back to every 12 hours and forget the clonidine? I will do the former for now since I have been taking a clonidine every 12 hrs anyway. Or actually scratch that. I am going to take 0.75 at midnight and try to stabilize every 12 hrs with 0.75 until I am stable. I will just take clonidine if I need to but I should not need to if i go back to taking a little more. Ugh why didnt I do this sooner? Let me know what you think of this. I have been so ready to jump that I did not think. Yea I am an idiot! Lol Thank you again so much! I will keep posting.
    Hello!
    First off I want to tell you that you are doing wonderfully! Second, I want to tell you that it’s always better to be on just one medication while pregnant. I don’t think you need the clonidine. I can tell you from experience (I was pregnant with my first on subutex) that you just went down way to quickly! You poor thing, your doctor should have known better. You have more blood in your body now than other people do AND your metabolism is working faster. Meaning the drug is leaving your system at a faster rate than others while pregnant. So when it comes to tapering, you should be going slower, not faster than other people and most people reduce at 25% increments. I also want to tell you to not stress out. You are on such a low dosage I HIGHLY doubt your baby will be born with NAS. I was on 8 mgs when my son was born and he was born perfectly healthy, no withdrawals. Now, I know that doesn’t happen every time. But my sub doctor (who is a retired OBGYN) told me he has NEVER seen a baby go into withdrawals when the mother is on 1 mg or less. Most of the time it’s the nurses that are overly cautious and don’t know what to expect that freak out and think your baby is portraying symptoms when really they are just being a newborn. So advocate for your baby and yourself when you go into labor! Also, STOP killing yourself to get down to nothing! It’s time to go slowly. You can still wean, I’m not saying stop completely, but go slowly enough where you do not feel many symptoms of withdrawal! Please! It’s not worth it. You can go into premature labor pushing yourself like this! Please write me any time! You are and will be a great mother
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-06-2018 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Idntjudgeu View Post
    Hello!
    First off I want to tell you that you are doing wonderfully! Second, I want to tell you that it’s always better to be on just one medication while pregnant. I don’t think you need the clonidine. I can tell you from experience (I was pregnant with my first on subutex) that you just went down way to quickly! You poor thing, your doctor should have known better. You have more blood in your body now than other people do AND your metabolism is working faster. Meaning the drug is leaving your system at a faster rate than others while pregnant. So when it comes to tapering, you should be going slower, not faster than other people and most people reduce at 25% increments. I also want to tell you to not stress out. You are on such a low dosage I HIGHLY doubt your baby will be born with NAS. I was on 8 mgs when my son was born and he was born perfectly healthy, no withdrawals. Now, I know that doesn’t happen every time. But my sub doctor (who is a retired OBGYN) told me he has NEVER seen a baby go into withdrawals when the mother is on 1 mg or less. Most of the time it’s the nurses that are overly cautious and don’t know what to expect that freak out and think your baby is portraying symptoms when really they are just being a newborn. So advocate for your baby and yourself when you go into labor! Also, STOP killing yourself to get down to nothing! It’s time to go slowly. You can still wean, I’m not saying stop completely, but go slowly enough where you do not feel many symptoms of withdrawal! Please! It’s not worth it. You can go into premature labor pushing yourself like this! Please write me any time! You are and will be a great mother
    Thank you! Lol omg when I reread what I wrote, I sounded like I was about to physically combust or something. I do feel like I am going to lose my mind sometimes during pregnancy or even before that actually but ya. My sub dr said that he has had pregnant women give birth on subutex and they were fine. He encourages me to get off though too so it is kind of contradicting. After that spasm/severe withdrawal day I was like ok calm down. I am not going to take the clonidine bc like you said it is another med. I do not want to be on any more freakin meds! Blah he gave me hydroxyzine too for the anxiety with withdrawals but I don't even touch it. I have been reading subutex birth stories and just freaking out (like that wasn't obvious lol)...the NICU from days to months, CPS/DCF being called, all the symptoms babies could have, etc. That makes sense ...the blood volume thing bc at 10 hours sometimes I was feeling slight withdrawal on 0.5mg twice a day. It is refreshing to hear your birth was successful and everything was good!!! I guess it is just not knowing how things will turn out bc everyone is different. I am having a boy too! How was the birth? did you get an epidural, how did hospital treat you, etc? How are you/baby doing now?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-06-2018 at 11:22 AM.

I am on 0.5mg every 12 hours now or 1mg a day. I see it says to start taking every 24 hours after you are under 1mg. I am going to go to 0.25mg on Sunday. What is the best way to make it 24 hours? My blood volume makes it harder to last that long I think bc I start yawning and getting stuffy at 10/11 hours. It is something about 0.5mg bc I was fine at 0.75mg. Why is it this soa hard to get off? I tapered off 2mg klonopin earlier this pregnancy (don't judge me too harshly). I had been on and off bars for a few years and had gone to a doctor to taper off with klonopin 2 weeks before I found out I was pregnant bc I hated what bars did to me. I don't know why this is harder. Is it because I am further along or is suboxone just that much stronger? Will I be able to do this based on my experience so far? Honestly? I really do not want to be on this when I give birth...I know it is usually fine but it is more about I just don't want to be on anything when he is born period.

Ok so I think I am fine at 1 mg a day or 0.5mg every 12 hours. I am now lasting longer between doses...like I forget to take it at 12 hrs...so time to go to 0.75mg. I am going to take 0.25mg tonight bc I took 0.5mg this morning. Then tomorrow try to take 0.75mg at noon then maybe a clonidine at midnight or later IF I need it. Since it will trick my system bc it is more, maybe I won't. I am going to try to go 24 hours because I read after getting under 1mg, that it is better to stop taking subs every 12 hours. I am only going to use the clonidine as needed. I know how fast subutex starts to get out of my system (or where it feels like it...I start getting severe bone pain, almost prickly to where I cannot sit still, it feels like I will have a seizure or something) bc my blood volume is 50% more at this point in pregnancy (32 weeks) so that is the only reason I say I might take clonidine a couple times to help. I feel like I can do this. In 4 days, I will try 0.5mg ...then 0.25mg in another 4 etc. If I need clonidine once a day, so be it but I am going to try not to. Baby is doing well according to ultrasound and how I am measuring. At least he is doing well. I have not had any complications (big knock on wood) and hope that continues! I know no one replied but it helps for me to write this out. If I get off, maybe it will help someone (how cliche sounding lol but it is true).

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Ok so I think I am fine at 1 mg a day or 0.5mg every 12 hours. I am now lasting longer between doses...like I forget to take it at 12 hrs...so time to go to 0.75mg. I am going to take 0.25mg tonight bc I took 0.5mg this morning. Then tomorrow try to take 0.75mg at noon then maybe a clonidine at midnight or later IF I need it. Since it will trick my system bc it is more, maybe I won't. I am going to try to go 24 hours because I read after getting under 1mg, that it is better to stop taking subs every 12 hours. I am only going to use the clonidine as needed. I know how fast subutex starts to get out of my system (or where it feels like it...I start getting severe bone pain, almost prickly to where I cannot sit still, it feels like I will have a seizure or something) bc my blood volume is 50% more at this point in pregnancy (32 weeks) so that is the only reason I say I might take clonidine a couple times to help. I feel like I can do this. In 4 days, I will try 0.5mg ...then 0.25mg in another 4 etc. If I need clonidine once a day, so be it but I am going to try not to. Baby is doing well according to ultrasound and how I am measuring. At least he is doing well. I have not had any complications (big knock on wood) and hope that continues! I know no one replied but it helps for me to write this out. If I get off, maybe it will help someone (how cliche sounding lol but it is true).

Hello!

According to your plan you're skipping a dose in between .5mg and .25mg. From .5mg the next 25% reduction would be down to .375mg and then to .25mg. Don't skip that .375mg dose or you'll feel some rough wd's which won't be good for you or the baby. To get a .375mg dose you just add together a .25mg piece along with half of a .25mg piece.

And yes, it's highly recommended to start dosing once daily when under 1mg. You have to prepare mentally for being off the sub and that will help do it. And it helps to not be "expecting" another dose in the day.

Randy

Thank you! That makes sense. I finally got off. Although, I was stuck at 0.75mg and could not go another month or two on the same dose as I did 1mg. I have a really fast metabolism and I know the metabolic rate is way faster during pregnancy. I got off another way under the supervision of my doctor. It took 11 days. It is slightly controversial so I will not post it unless someone is interested. My dr said he would not have done it if I was not pregnant. Anyway, I am off Finally!!!! My baby will not be born with anything in his system. I am due in March. I am glad I did not give up. I must have been doing something wrong with taper bc my body would not stabilize. Anyway, thanks to everyone who gave advice. I will keep checking back here.

I had to have a csection at the end of March. It was not planned but oh well. I was off subutex. I am glad that I was off for baby. I still dealt with some judgement. They drug tested me and put drug abuse on my chart since I was on subutex at all during pregnancy. I did lie about when I got off because I did not want to say oh a couple weeks ago . I realize now that some symptoms of withdrawal were made way worse from pregnancy. I sneeze and have headaches randomly but nothing crazy. I cannot believe I actually got off still! It really seemed impossible. If I had more time, I would have finished tapering how you guys do here. I am literally on nothing for the first time in a few years. Taking care of my son keeps me busy. I have no energy but I think recovering postpartum is like that anyway.
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

I had to have a csection at the end of March. It was not planned but oh well. I was off subutex. I am glad that I was off for baby. I still dealt with some judgement. They drug tested me and put drug abuse on my chart since I was on subutex at all during pregnancy. I did lie about when I got off because I did not want to say oh a couple weeks ago . I realize now that some symptoms of withdrawal were made way worse from pregnancy. I sneeze and have headaches randomly but nothing crazy. I cannot believe I actually got off still! It really seemed impossible. If I had more time, I would have finished tapering how you guys do here. I am literally on nothing for the first time in a few years. Taking care of my son keeps me busy. I have no energy but I think recovering postpartum is like that anyway.
    Congratulations on your new baby!! Hope you don't worry about any judgement from the hospital folks. There may have been one or two but you know what? You showed strength and did the right thing so screw them! I also think that you may have been a bit more sensitive and picked up on things that weren't really there. The medical profession has come a long, long way in the past few years where addiction is concerned. It's hard to find a single person who isn't affected by it in one way or another. Once we get to talking to others we begin to see that. My son, who is an active H addict had a bad episode last week. I had to call 911. Two of the police officers told me that they each had an addict in their families and his nurse in ICU told me that he lost his brother to it one year ago to the day. My daughter is an ER nurse so she sees it every single day and at one time, I'm afraid she did a little judging herself, she does not anymore. This is exactly the reason why I am so grateful that people have come out of the closet with their own addiction and that of their loved ones. Sorry. I got off and running there.

I am interested in how your doctor helped you jump so please do share. I'm sorry I missed that post when you wrote it but I'll be watching for your next post.

Congratulations again!!

Peace,

Cat