Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By Stuckonoxy
  • 2 Post By UncleLeo
  • 1 Post By Ming23
  • 1 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By Ricky71
3 days on suboxone
  1. #1
    Stuckonoxy is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    13

    Default 3 days on suboxone

    Hey everyone,

    I'm not new to the boards but I'm new to the suboxone side of things. My story begins with several surgeries, Percocet prescriptions which led to oxy extended release and left me at 160-180mg a day after a year and a half. I have tried many times to cold turkey and taper and have never been successful. I knew I had to do something different this time and that's what led me to suboxone. I went 48 hours clean of oxy and began my induction at 4mg, and then another 2mg that evening. I was still having the runs and feeling unwell the next day so the doctor upped me to 8mg a day. I'm now 3 days in and I have some questions. I woke up today with the runs and aching, I would think 8mg would be more than enough to take care of that, so what's the deal? I'm still achy and very tired. I feel depressed and anxious and my moods are almost apathetic when I'm not depressive or anxious. Am I just feeling the mental effects of my addiction? I have suffered from both depression and anxiety for 15 years. When I was on the oxy it numbed all of that. I'm scared the suboxone isn't working for me and I'm going to have to come off of it. Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm so new to this and I'm feeling lonely and afraid. Any help is so much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Randy35 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuckonoxy View Post
    Hey everyone,

    I'm not new to the boards but I'm new to the suboxone side of things. My story begins with several surgeries, Percocet prescriptions which led to oxy extended release and left me at 160-180mg a day after a year and a half. I have tried many times to cold turkey and taper and have never been successful. I knew I had to do something different this time and that's what led me to suboxone. I went 48 hours clean of oxy and began my induction at 4mg, and then another 2mg that evening. I was still having the runs and feeling unwell the next day so the doctor upped me to 8mg a day. I'm now 3 days in and I have some questions. I woke up today with the runs and aching, I would think 8mg would be more than enough to take care of that, so what's the deal? I'm still achy and very tired. I feel depressed and anxious and my moods are almost apathetic when I'm not depressive or anxious. Am I just feeling the mental effects of my addiction? I have suffered from both depression and anxiety for 15 years. When I was on the oxy it numbed all of that. I'm scared the suboxone isn't working for me and I'm going to have to come off of it. Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm so new to this and I'm feeling lonely and afraid. Any help is so much appreciated.


    Howdy -

    Suboxone is an excelllent tool to use when all other methods have been given an honest chance. But to have success with the subs you must use them correctly. That means inducting properly and doing your best to be on the lowest possible dose that gets you stable. I think you're probably on too much sub and that's causing the brunt of your problems.

    You mentioned suffering from depression and anxiety for years. Have you been or do you now take meds for either of those issues? The depression or anxiety could also be the case of why you're feeling so rough.

    What I would do if it were me is to lower your dose of sub and see how you feel. Most everyone feels better on a much lower dose of sub. The sub is intended to curb the wd's and to give you time to treat your addictive thoughts and behaviors. It's not intended to cure or even help anxiety or depression like another opiate might.

    You might drop down to 6mg per day, splitting that dose and take 3mg in the am and 3mg later about 8-10 hours apart. Spend aound 4-5 days in that dose then reduce down to 4.5mg per day. I bet once you're down to 3-4 mg you'll feel much better as far as wd symptoms. You may still need to do something about the other problems and only your doctor can treat those issues.

    The sub doctor(s) unfortunately knows very little, if anything, about how subs are intended to be taken. They just don't have the experience with them like an addict would that has used subs and tapered off them. You have nothing to lose if you lower the sub dose. Give that a try and keep posting how you're feeling.

    Randy

  3. #3
    Stuckonoxy is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    13

    Default

    So I woke up today with the runs again and leg pain. I noticed my pupils were pretty big too. I called the sub doctors office and they said I need to up my dose but this seems odd because 8mg is quite a bit for a 160mg oxy habit. I don't know if maybe my body just doesn't agree with this drug or if maybe it's truly too low of a dose. I'm getting frustrated and scared. From what I've read this stuff is a nightmare to get off of and I really don't want to get stuck on something that isn't even working for me. I'm thinking about just stopping it all together. Will I have wd symptoms after 4 days on this stuff? I have 2 weeks off school so if I'm going to do this then now is the time.
    Ming23 likes this.

  4. #4
    Stuckonoxy is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    13

    Default

    I also take antidepressants and anti anxiety drugs which I've been on for years and I have a good psychiatrist as well that I see once a month.

  5. #5
    UncleLeo is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,253

    Default

    Hi Stuck - that's great you started your own thread. First thing to understand about sub >>. oxy is how diff they work. With the oxy, you take the pill and it works or it doesn't. Sub is much much more subtle. It slowly builds up in you and then SLOWLY seeps out of you.

    So to experience a few or even more than a few days of discomfort unfortunately is a bit par for the course for many of us (esp with histories of anxiety etc). Just try to weather that storm.

    You said you had a couple weeks off. Is there a plan in place for that? Sounds like you have a good opp to get off everything? Hang in there.
    DravenDomnq and Ming23 like this.

  6. #6
    Ming23 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,072

    Default

    Stuckonoxy
    Hey! Do what Randy suggested. 8 mg sub is quite a high dose to combat 160mg oxy per day! Doctors tend to prescribe high rather than low doses as per manufacturer's recommendations. They have no idea!
    4 mg should be plenty! I know you checked out the taper protocol at the top of the sub thread. Note that Robert325 suggests inducting at The Lowest Possible Dose. Again, as Randy mentioned, people tend to feel better on lower doses of sub. Remember, the lower the amount you take, the less you will have to detox! Less is More with subs! Hang in there! Stay hydrated. Very hydrated because sub dries u out. Post when you can. Get Boost if u can't eat and Imodium if guts get too loose. You're saving your own life. No one else on earth can do this for you. You will never regret this good choice! lol
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-19-2016 at 02:33 PM.
    DravenDomnq likes this.

  7. #7
    Randy35 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuckonoxy View Post
    So I woke up today with the runs again and leg pain. I noticed my pupils were pretty big too. I called the sub doctors office and they said I need to up my dose but this seems odd because 8mg is quite a bit for a 160mg oxy habit. I don't know if maybe my body just doesn't agree with this drug or if maybe it's truly too low of a dose. I'm getting frustrated and scared. From what I've read this stuff is a nightmare to get off of and I really don't want to get stuck on something that isn't even working for me. I'm thinking about just stopping it all together. Will I have wd symptoms after 4 days on this stuff? I have 2 weeks off school so if I'm going to do this then now is the time.

    The best advice I can give you is to PLEASE not allow the doctor to raise your sub dose. You're on an extremely high dose now that not very many addicts will ever need. Those that were on methadone sometimes require that much sub. Raising your sub dose will only compound your problems.

    And please don't stop the sub cold turkey either. You won't like the results. If you really want off then taper them by reducing your dose by 25% every 4 or so days to limit symptoms. Seeing as you have 2 weeks off school you could try stopping, but I wouldn't recommend it.

    Maybe ask your physiatrist about how you're feeling and see what they have to say. Maybe your meds need to be adjusted?

    Randy
    DravenDomnq likes this.

  8. #8
    Stuckonoxy is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Question for everyone: is it easier to taper oxy or suboxone? I'm asking because I'm considering going back on the oxy and tapering off one more time. I've been reading horror stories about people being stuck on this drug and saying the withdrawals are worse than their original drug of choice. I can't afford to be in wd for months and to be honest the suboxone isn't helping me. I feel like a zombie on it and all I was told is to increase my dose. There doesn't seem to be any painkilling effects with this drug because the very problem that had me stay on oxy for so long is back with a vengeance and I'm getting no relief. Very depressed and feel hopeless. I have run out of options and I don't want to touch methadone (not knocking it for those of you who find it works for you), its just not a path I could see being of benefit to me.

  9. #9
    Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuckonoxy View Post
    Question for everyone: is it easier to taper oxy or suboxone? I'm asking because I'm considering going back on the oxy and tapering off one more time. I've been reading horror stories about people being stuck on this drug and saying the withdrawals are worse than their original drug of choice. I can't afford to be in wd for months and to be honest the suboxone isn't helping me. I feel like a zombie on it and all I was told is to increase my dose. There doesn't seem to be any painkilling effects with this drug because the very problem that had me stay on oxy for so long is back with a vengeance and I'm getting no relief. Very depressed and feel hopeless. I have run out of options and I don't want to touch methadone (not knocking it for those of you who find it works for you), its just not a path I could see being of benefit to me.
    Stuck - I encourage you to go back and read all of the posts from your other thread, here's a link - https://www.drugs.com/forum/need-tal...oxy-72203.html

    Especially read the last post from me regarding Robert's sub therapy/taper plan. If you follow his plan you can have great success like many, many other's have had before you! The plan lasts roughly two months from start to finish, if done correctly you'll have minimal to no withdrawals when you jump off! Skip the induction part of the plan! You have to get stable on the subs before you can execute Robert's plan, do exactly what Randy has recommended to you.

    You said "I'm considering going back on the oxy and tapering off one more time." What makes you think that you can taper the oxy now when you already said that "I have tried many times to cold turkey and taper and have never been successful."?

    Give the sub a chance, like Randy said, if done right it's a great tool! Just continue to get your subs from the doc, also don't mention that you are doing your own taper to the doc! Follow Robert's plan exactly to a "T", you can do it! Keep us updated? Best of luck to you... God bless us all!
    DravenDomnq likes this.

  10. #10
    CelestialKitten is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Stuck I had a far less worse addiction than you 60mgs oxy tapered to 15mg a day 2 days cold turkey hopped on .5mg subs felt NO symptoms or cravings.

    Stayed at .5mgs subs a day for 4 weeks tapered 2 more weeks hopped off due to supply problem relapsed 4 days later.

    Took one 8mg strip over 2 weeks hopped off currently on day 4 by choice.

    I will say for me personally the sub withdrawal is child's play compared to the oxy withdrawal during those 2 days cold turkey from 15mg. BUT I was only on a VERY low dose of subs for a very short amount of time (2 months give or take a few days). I think that's the key sticking to a low low dose and for a short time. I'm feeling better today than I did during the 27th of December (I was still on subs during the 27th tapered too fast).

Similar Threads

  1. Almost 90 days off suboxone
    By Anonymous in forum Suboxone Treatment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-26-2015, 03:15 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22