• 2 Post By Misty234
  • 2 Post By Jc4567
  • 1 Post By Jc4567
  • 1 Post By Jc4567
  • 1 Post By Jc4567
32mg down to 4mg and hitting a bump in the road
    Jc4567 is offline New Member

Default 32mg down to 4mg and hitting a bump in the road

So over the last month I have been using the 25% every 4 days plan down from 32mg. I have been on subs for many years (not sure how many but more than 5). It has been relatively smooth going, I have felt mild symptoms but mostly mental ones and I have been able to follow the schedule 100% so far.
    The snag came over the last week or so when I dropped down to 5.5mg. On day 3 of 5.5mg I felt pretty bad, I was unable to sleep much at all that 3rd night on 5.5mg's. The forth day of 5.5mg though I felt better and actually slept ok the 4th night due to exhaustion from the prior two nights. The next morning I felt ok with going down again to 4mg (I take my entire dose in the mornings around 8am). I worked 10 hours on day 1 of 4mg and felt ok until that evening I started feeling really bad. I slept until 4am and had a rude awakening feeling pretty ill. I took a hot shower and went back to bed and woke up feeling really >>>>>> at 6. I figured it was close enough to dose time that I took the seconds days dose of 4mgs and felt much better. I was then able to sleep in until 9am and actually felt good when I woke up. Now its almost 6pm and I'm feeling a little withdrawly but not horrible. I am worried about tonight.
    Am I being too aggressive? If it gets bad later what should I do? If I wind up having to supplement my dose how much would I take to try and stabilize? I'm going to try to grit my teeth and really stabilize at 4mg before going down again but I would hate to go backwards. I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow afternoon I am planning on asking him for a clonidine script.

any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

You've done fantastic! You've come a really long way in just a month. It does get a bit harder once the doses get smaller. Because you were on such a high dose and for a long time, it might be time to slow things down just a little. You're only on day 2 of a reduction and it can be typical to begin to feel the drops.

Really, you have two choices. The first is to stick it out even if it takes you a day or two longer than usual to stabilize. The other would be that if you are beginning to feel really bad, bump yourself up to 5mg, see if that's enough to level you out and then stay put right there for several days. I know that 4 is the magic number for days between drops, but it's not written in stone. If you need to, stay at each current dose for an extra day or even two before you reduce. The key is to be absolutely sure you are completely stable. It'll be worth it. You're still on a large enough dose that some folks seem to feel better if they split it by taking one half your dose in the morning and the other about 8 hrs later. Just not too close to bedtime.

Be gentle with yourself. If you need to slow down, then slow down. I've watched a lot of folks make smaller reductions than the 25%. That's perfectly fine. Just keep telling yourself where you were a month ago and here you are now. I bet you wouldn't have imagined that you'd be able to do it but you have and you will finish.

Peace,

Cat
    Misty234 likes this.

Misty234 is offline Member

HI JC,

I'm on day 18 of no subs and probably not the best one to give advice however I have been lurking on this forum for awhile and have learned a few things along the way. Have you thought trying to take 2mg in the morning and 2mg in the evening? I wouldn't recommend splitting your dose when you get down under 1 mg but since your at 4mg maybe that might make it easier to get through the day. I took mine at the same time every day but other's split them. I don't think it matter's as long as your taking it the same time every day. This is just a suggestion I've seen several people have a better go of the taper dosing twice a day....Take Care Lisa
    Catrina and Ming23 like this.

I'm going to try to stick it out at 4mg for the next few days but well see how bad it gets.
    Catrina and Misty234 like this.

Good for you! Just be sure to stay put there until you are stable. That's the one most important part of this.

Peace,

Cat

Slept a little better last night but still had a rude awakening at 6am feeling ill. I got up and took my 4mg dose for the day and felt better. I cut the half a strip into half again and put them inside my lip (where you would put dip). It seems like it takes a lot longer to absorb but when it does it absorbs better. I laid in bed from 6am until almost 7am feeling sick before it finally kicked in and I went back to sleep until about 8:30. Its 11:30 now and I feel fine, but I felt fine in the morning yesterday after I took it. Hopefully tonight will be better than the last few. If I adapt today or tomorrow I could stay on my schedule since today is day 3 on 4mg.
    It does seem curious though that my dose is struggling to last 24 hours. It seems after I take it in the morning I feel good for the first 10 to 12 hours then I start getting anxious and by hour 20ish I'm not feeling well at all. With the half life I would think it would be more stable throughout the day. I could split my dose but I'm scared that if I had taken 2mg this morning it wouldn't have worked well enough until I took the other 2mg and I don't want to take an extra 2mg the first day because I refuse to go backwards. This is a one way street only.

You have such a good attitude. That's going to help. A lot. You are right about the half life, of course. BUT try to think of it this way if it makes sense. You were on such a high dose that it has or will take weeks to metabolize what you'd built up. One month into tapering and you're doing well. I think your body and brain are finally feeling the effects of the lower dose. I'm just guessing that your original reductions were barely felt, if at all. The amount of sub in your system is FINALLY getting lower. The positive is that if you're feeling it, you're purging yourself of the subs. There's a monster difference between 32 mg/day and 4 mg/day.

Hang tight and see where the next day or two have you feeling. If you're not stable, do not reduce again. I know I keep saying that but if you reduce before you're stable, the symptoms you have will only get worse and follow you the entire way down. You won't be going backwards by staying at the same dose a day or two longer, you're being smart and careful.

Hoping your Day 4 at this dose is much better.

Peace,

Cat

So yesterday afternoon I went to my GP and explained the situation and asked for a clonadine script. He gave me .1mg 2x/day to start with. I took them yesterday and felt much better. I don't know if I just adjusted or it was the clonadine or both but last night I felt good and slept well. Today (day 4 on 4mg) I feel fine. As long as it stays like this through until tomorrow morning I will stay on schedule and drop down to 3mg. Hopefully that drop will go smoother than this one did.
    Ming23 likes this.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jc4567 View Post
    Slept a little better last night but still had a rude awakening at 6am feeling ill. I got up and took my 4mg dose for the day and felt better. I cut the half a strip into half again and put them inside my lip (where you would put dip). It seems like it takes a lot longer to absorb but when it does it absorbs better. I laid in bed from 6am until almost 7am feeling sick before it finally kicked in and I went back to sleep until about 8:30. Its 11:30 now and I feel fine, but I felt fine in the morning yesterday after I took it. Hopefully tonight will be better than the last few. If I adapt today or tomorrow I could stay on my schedule since today is day 3 on 4mg.
    It does seem curious though that my dose is struggling to last 24 hours. It seems after I take it in the morning I feel good for the first 10 to 12 hours then I start getting anxious and by hour 20ish I'm not feeling well at all. With the half life I would think it would be more stable throughout the day. I could split my dose but I'm scared that if I had taken 2mg this morning it wouldn't have worked well enough until I took the other 2mg and I don't want to take an extra 2mg the first day because I refuse to go backwards. This is a one way street only.
    Hey JC
    I split my dose when i was on 4mg. Two mg in morning and another 2 mg eight to ten hours later. Subs are very strong plus you have a lot backed up in your system. You should be ok splitting doses. It's your choice of course. I'm glad you're ok.
    Don't forget that the head-trip is half the battle. Drink plenty of water. Dehydration has symptoms that mimic anxiety, which is uncomfortable. A few folks wound up in hospital due to dehydration. Subs do things to your brain/body. Have faith that others have succeeded and you can too! The process works!
    Proud of you! Hang in there!

Slept pretty good last night and felt ok yesterday/this morning so decided to stick to my schedule and drop down to 3mg as planned. It's 4pm and so flat so good. Hopefully will be able to continue dropping as planned.
    Ming23 likes this.

You're doing unbelievable well! Might feel the drop for a couple of days and then you'll be good to go for another one. You'll be done in no time!

Peace,

Cat

I know it's been a few days but figured I'd post an update. On the day I said I dropped down to 3mg that night I wound up taking another 1mg and stayed at 4mg for two more days before I actually dropped down to 3mg. I think the couple extra days at 4mg helped as I am on day 3 of 3mg and feel ok.
    One big thing that's helped me is saying that I will never ever go backwards and take more than I am taking at whatever given dose I am on. Having made that decision that means every drop in dosage I do is permanent. Telling myself I will never again have to drop from 4mg to 3mg and once I do will never be on 4mg again really helps with motivation.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-17-2016 at 08:42 AM.
    Ming23 likes this.