• 2 Post By iloerose
  • 1 Post By blazingthetime
  • 2 Post By Ming23
  • 2 Post By Iluv2smile
  • 1 Post By Ming23
On 4-8mg of Suboxone for 9 days can I quit without withdrawal?
    blazingthetime is offline Junior Member

Default On 4-8mg of Suboxone for 9 days can I quit without withdrawal?

Hi, and thanks to anyone who can help me understand my dilemma. So I've been taking 4-8mg of Suboxone a day for the past 9 or 10 days at most. My question is can I quit without any major withdrawals? Or will that (in my opinion) small duration of taking them cause withdrawal? A little bit of background as too why I was taking them in the first place....I'd been insulfating roxis for the past year and a half it started very casual like 15mg once a week (on the weekend or so). This past summer it got bad and I started to realize I had a major problem.

I got to the point of taking 75-150mg roxi's a night and even tried methadone but after trying that for a few days realized it wasn't for me because it was so sedating. Stopped the methadone and got sick as hell for the first time in my opiate use. Vomiting, runny nose cramps etc. But it only lasted about a day and a half and I vowed never to do methadone again (this was this summer) and try to cut back on my roxis.>

My idea was to never go over 80-100mg at a time and I met that goal, but after taking the roxis for so long I felt like superman. On December 12th I took exactly 450mg in a 24hr period. Needless to say I was out of cash after that and went into MASSIVE withdrawal. It lasted exactly until December 22nd not only was I counting the days but im sure I counted the minutes and probably even seconds. It was absolutely horrible Vomiting for 3 days straight then HORRIBLE muscle aches. Lifting my arms or legs even an inch hurt like I can't even describe - worst pain I've ever felt.

After a few days of the withdrawal Prison-Hell being over I got cravings again and know someone with a sub prescription. They told me only take half because it was very strong and would probably make me vomit. Me being the superman I was convinced I am took a whole one and did not get sick (guessing I got a really high general tolerance to opiates built up over time)felt amazing like a perfect mix between methadone and oxy, motivated as hell but if I relaxed on the couch or bed I'd catch the perfect nod no labored breathing or anything. After a week of taking them I realized I need to be done with the opiate roller-coaster, so that beckons my question. After 10 days of 4-8mg a day can I quit without severe withdrawal?

My apologies for the short novel but that's my story. I'll be glad to answer any and all questions.
    Ming23 likes this.

Ive only been able to find threads where people say if you're on Suboxone for a short duration quitting will cause you to go in withdrawal from your previous opiate. But the last time I took an Oxy was exactly December 12th so I'm sure that doesn't apply to me? And that's what beckons my question.
    Ming23 likes this.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blazingthetime View Post
    Ive only been able to find threads where people say if you're on Suboxone for a short duration quitting will cause you to go in withdrawal from your previous opiate. But the last time I took an Oxy was exactly December 12th so I'm sure that doesn't apply to me? And that's what beckons my question.
    Hey Blaze
    I agree. That statement probably will not apply to you. What the sentence implies is that there is NOT a one-month span between your last pill and your sub-taking. It implies that the person went right from Drug X onto Subs; and then quit subs while Still addicted to original drug. Clearer?
    You had a whole month off pills. They should be out of you by now.
    The subs, however, have a long half-life (72 hrs) and will take a while to leave your system. Drink a lot of water to speed the process. however, are you still taking 8 mgs of sub daily?? That's a wicked high dose!! Overkill!
    Direct a question to Bette or Randy for very experienced advice.
    Let us know how u feel...

Hello agaun Ming!
    Thanks for the reply. I have been staying 100% hydrated ever since that Oxy withdrawal. I have a 1 liter bottle that I've refilled everyday since about day 7 of the Oxy withdrawal. That was another symptom of my Oxy withdrawal extreme dry mouth and just overall feeling dehydrated and at first I couldn't even keep water down until around day 6 or 7 like I said. But yep I've made it a mission since then to drink no less than 1 liter of water a day. And no I'm not taking them my last dose was 3:30 am Wednesday so its been about 33hrs since my last dose, I do have 3 left I can divide up if need be, but the only way I'd consider taking them is if withdrawal becomes physical and intense. I felt some nasuea and came extremely close to caving in. Now I feel fine and have no interest in taking more unless I need I.e. get flu like withdrawals. Coming close to caving in is what led me to create an account nd cone to these forums - sort of an online NA support/help you know? I cannot and will not go to NA in person so this is the next best thing in my opinion.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-07-2016 at 03:10 PM.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

FROM YOUR OTHER THREAD:Hello there, blazingthetime! You don't have enough sub to do a decent taper from 8mg. I'm basing the 8mg on the fact that you said you were taking 8mg. one day, and 4 the next. Subs have a half life of up to 72 hours, like methadone. 8-9 days? You may or may not have significant symptoms, it's hard to say as everyone is different. Not sure that you have enough sub to do a decent taper, but you could re-induct. If you get sick in the next few days and I'd wait until I'm significantly sick, I'd re-induct taking increments of .25 mg. and hopefully you'll stabilize at 1 or 1.5mg. and that would be something that would work with your last three subs or until you could get a few more, but you cannot take anymore until you re-induct. It would be worthless to simply go to 1mg. because if you are going to be sick without ANY, you are most likely going to be sick at 1mg. and it will take too long to stabilize at that amount. What I'm saying in order to do a decent taper you have be sick before you start. I know that sounds weird, but we want to get as much sub out of your system first and then re-induct you at a much lower dose, sub is very powerful. If you do NOT get sick in the next few days or have very light symptoms, count your lucky stars. Let me know if you want to do that, meantime don't set yourself up for terrible symptoms: you may only have light symptoms: run off a COWS (clinical opioid withdrawal scale) and see if you get up to a 26 before taking any sub. I will be back to check up on you.

Peace,

Iloerose

PS: Insomnia does really suck. EXERCISE. Try melatonin and sleepy time tea REAL STRONG. Or Yogi Kava-Kava tea REAL STRONG. Meditate and try to calm your mind even if you can't sleep. The real battle with insomnia is mental.

Yeah I absolutely will not take any Suboxone unless I get extremely sick like I got from the 450mg Oxy cold turkey. I can deal with insomnia alone, I can deal with debilitating muscle pains alone, I can deal with Vomiting alone. But if I get all of those symptoms in one evil bundle of withdrawal then I'll take your advice and do a small incremental induction. I always wondered what induction meant when in retrospect to Suboxone, now I get it. But yeah if I get all those symptoms and they're light I can probably fight through it. Just as long as they don't reach the intensity of the Oxy cold turkey (450mg is a lot) I can resist taking more Suboxone. I'll keep you posted on how I feel in the next few days. If anyone has any other questions/advice I'm all ears.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Right now, the only advice I have is that you keep moving and get exercise and stay hydrated: water, good fruit juices, try to stay away from anything processed if you can. You want to get the "poison" out of you. Simply make sure that if you have to re-induct, you do that by increments of .25mg. that way you'll be able to induct at the lowest effective dose. If you don't have to, don't do it. I consider the minor symptoms to be: the bm stuff (immodium), minor aches pains and hot/colds, a bit of RLS (gatorade may help with that), yeah, the insomnia. It's hard to believe, but that does go away in time.

Have you thought about meetings? The one thing about meetings is that you have others to share with and a lifeline when the urges come on. This is absolutely the hardest thing you will ever do: Getting clean is pretty easy (I know what you went through, though ) staying clean is hard, hard. Take care and I'll be checking up on you!!!

Peace,

Iloerose
    Randy35 and Ming23 like this.

Yea meetings are off the table for unfortunately. And I'm definitely avoiding processed foods. I actually went and bought some fresh oily fish fruit rich in antioxidants and fresh vegetables the day I decided I was going to stop with the Suboxone. For me staying clean is a matter of losing two phone numbers. I only have two Oxy connections and I don't go searching for or associate with shady people aka dealers and addicts - except for myself lol. But yea you're right about stsying clean being hard because I still haven't gotten rid of said numbers. I've just been staying active with my toddler making him laugh a lot which in turn makes me laugh ( the best medicine) so thankfully depression. Isn't an issue like I've read it can be for some.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-07-2016 at 04:54 PM.
    iloerose likes this.

Hello agaun Ming!
    Thanks for the reply. I have been staying 100% hydrated ever since that Oxy withdrawal. I have a 1 liter bottle that I've refilled everyday since about day 7 of the Oxy withdrawal. That was another symptom of my Oxy withdrawal extreme dry mouth and just overall feeling dehydrated and at first I couldn't even keep water down until around day 6 or 7 like I said. But yep I've made it a mission since then to drink no less than 1 liter of water a day. And no I'm not taking them my last dose was 3:30 am Wednesday so its been about 33hrs since my last dose, I do have 3 left I can divide up if need be, but the only way I'd consider taking them is if withdrawal becomes physical and intense. I felt some nasuea and came extremely close to caving in. Now I feel fine and have no interest in taking more unless I need I.e. get flu like withdrawals. Coming close to caving in is what led me to create an account nd cone to these forums - sort of an online NA support/help you know? I cannot and will not go to NA in person so this is the next best thing in my opinion.
    Hey Blaze
    if i may ask, at what dose did you jump at 3:30 am Wed?

The last dose was between 5-6mg I had taken the slightly smaller piece the Tuesday afternoon 2-3mg. For the entire 9 days this is kind of how I was dosing - I was cutting the 8mg in half and taking one piece in the morning or early afternoon the the other piece in the evening or before I went to sleep.

So the last piece I took was between 5-6mg but I was taking 8mg daily.
    Ming23 likes this.

The last dose was between 5-6mg I had taken the slightly smaller piece the Tuesday afternoon 2-3mg. For the entire 9 days this is kind of how I was dosing - I was cutting the 8mg in half and taking one piece in the morning or early afternoon the the other piece in the evening or before I went to sleep.

So the last piece I took was between 5-6mg but I was taking 8mg daily.
    Hey Blaze
    Well, as you know, the sub stays in your system about 6 days.Each dose, that is. Got those comfort meds ready? Might need them eventually. Imodium, aspirin, lots and lots of water.
    Proud of you for taking this step!
    Hang in there!
    blazingthetime and Iluv2smile like this.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

hi Blaze..
    As you know sub is strong and it is different than other drugs..
    Long half life and unpredictable at times..
    I just want to make a comment on the comfort Meds ..
    The Imodium most people say the liquid works better..
    But it will help with other opiate wds.
    Because it is an opiate but does not cross the blood brain barrier so no high..
    But it does bind at other receptor sites that. Are screaming for something..

I M not sure how you will feel..
    But I do know it is worth the fight.
    1/30/16 I have been clean 1 year from sub.
    19 months off methadone..

So much better!
    Not perfect
    But better!
    Take care
    Bette
    blazingthetime and Ming23 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ming23 View Post
    Hey Blaze
    Well, as you know, the sub stays in your system about 6 days.Each dose, that is. Got those comfort meds ready? Might need them eventually. Imodium, aspirin, lots and lots of water.
    Proud of you for taking this step!
    Hang in there!
    So do I take the immodium as it says on the box should I need it, or take slightly more since it would be for opiate wd and not just normal diahrea? Not big on asprin/Tylenol products I'd rather smoke marijuana if I need to (note I live in Colorado and 30 yrs old so its perfectly legal) and I have friend that owns a dispensary so an unlimited supply to top grade mj. And I stay drinking water.

I still find it wierd I'm not experiencing anything yet though cause I know methadone has a long half life as well and when I tried that and didnt re-dose literally the very next day I was vomiting with the chills sweats and aches
    Ming23 likes this.

So do I take the immodium as it says on the box should I need it, or take slightly more since it would be for opiate wd and not just normal diahrea? Not big on asprin/Tylenol products I'd rather smoke marijuana if I need to (note I live in Colorado and 30 yrs old so its perfectly legal) and I have friend that owns a dispensary so an unlimited supply to top grade mj. And I stay drinking water.

I still find it wierd I'm not experiencing anything yet though cause I know methadone has a long half life as well and when I tried that and didnt re-dose literally the very next day I was vomiting with the chills sweats and aches
    Hey Blaze
    I agree with Bette that the liquid Imodium is better than the pills. I would take the recommended dose. Not more. More is not always better. Diarrhea is what it is, regardless of the cause. Take a capful like it says. You should be ok.
    blazingthetime likes this.

Alright thanks. Going to wal-mart soon so I'll get a box just in-case. But I'm honestly thinking I should count my blessings because 12hrs after I didn't dose the subs I felt like i was going to vomit very nauseous but I held it back and it went away in an hour or so. When I didn't redose the methadone there was no holding back that nausea.

Just an update here we are at 7 days. 169 hours later since my last dose and I feel fine. Guess I dodged a bullet. Can I change my forum name to Neo cause I'm feeling like The Matrix right now lol.
    Ming23 likes this.

The answer for me at least is yes you can quit after only a week of using and have no withdrawal. Here I am 20 something days later and Im fine. I don't know though maybe in unique. I hear people say they puked for hours and days from 2-4mg of Sub. I was clean from Oxy for about a month when I tried the Suboxone so I'm sure my tolerance was reset. I could take 16mg of Suboxone and not feel even the smallest inclination of being sick. Weird or what?