Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By iloerose
  • 1 Post By cscecela
6 Years and I'm fed up....
    cscecela is offline New Member

Default 6 Years and I'm fed up....

Hello everyone. This is my first post on this site. I have been reading around on others posts and comments and this place seems like a very helpful and friendly forum, so I decided to put myself out there finally and try to get some help. I've been an addict now since I was 16-17 years old, and I'm 27 now. I started with Oxy's and >>>>>>. After years of getting in trouble and basically ruining my life I finally made the choice to get help. I started on methadone and was on that for a few years and ended up on a 100+mg dose. I was able to decrease all the way down to 2mg's and walked off. My methadone doctor was also a suboxone doctor, and she suggested that I begin taking suboxone to make sure I had no cravings and could stay clean. So I said yes and begun a horrible journey that is my life now. I have a good career and a great finance that is very supportive, but besides that my life sucks at the moment. I am currently taking 12-16mg's of suboxone a day and have been stuck on this dose for quite some time. I just feel like I hit a brick wall. I want to get off this drug so bad and I'm considering rapid detox. Has anyone had any experience with this? I've read a few tapper plans and I've tried the one that is mentioned on this site with no success. It has to be a mental thing because I know about the long half life and still feel like I'm sick or in need of more subs. I can't even go 6+ hours without dosing. I don't know what to do. I was even thinking of waiting until I am very sick from the subs and just jumping on some Vicodin to trade one addiction for another just to have a less severe detox. Is this a good idea? I can handle a 3 day detox, but not a 30+ day detox from subs. I don't even know where I'm going with this. If anyone has some good information or some wise words I would love to hear them. At this point I'm desperate to get off of this horrible drug, and will do anything to succeed. Thanks for listening.

Chaz.

The Husband is offline Member

I would think that your best option is going to be a slow sub taper follow this plan:

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html

Best of luck

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

First off, rapid detox is not going to help in the long run. Subs are much more potent than vicodin/hydro's. The best thing you can do for yourself is to read the taper. Now, this taper is written for those who are coming off of a heavy addiction and just starting subs. The plan is meant to take around 6-8 weeks. Lately, we are seeing more and more people who have been on subs long term, so what do we do? Modify the plan.

Threads I suggest you read: Kens thread, Systolicsuckerpunch, Iwantoff. All have been on sub much longer than needed. Sharksfan's thread is a good thread to read.

First off, this is not something you do overnight. Secondly, much of this will be mental, as you are addicted to the sub, but you can taper off the sub successfully. How much do you want this? Sounds like you want this pretty bad. It may not be easy and there is no easy cure, but we can minimize help you get through this as painlessly as possible.

The first thing I suggest that you do is get stable on 12mg. twice a day: 6mg. am and 6mg. pm around 8 hours apart. Once you are stable on two doses, then you can start to taper. Since you are on such a high dose of sub, you have enough in your system to decrease relatively quickly through the first part of the taper: every 6 days or so and decrease by no more than .25%. You are going to want to do this pretty much according to how you feel, however, getting stable taking the sub twice a day, at a certain time is non-negotiable.

Will this be totally painless? Well, first of all your head is going to mess with you. Then again, you didn't get here overnight and won't get better overnight. Please read the general taper and then read the threads I posted. As you will see, this can be done and you can do it!

Peace,

Iloerose
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi there. Rose is absolutely correct. I know you said you tried to taper .. did you try Robert's taper? It's the plan both Rose and The Husband are referring to. I'm one of the members Rose is talking about. I was on subs for many years and have now successfully tapered to 1.75 mg per day and feel fine.

As much as we want to get this over with immediately, it just doesn't work that way. Patience is key here. Besides, we've spent years in addiction, so it's not much to ask to spend a couple months to taper off the RIGHT way. Robert's plan has been used by many here and they have been successful. This is just a guess, but I'm thinking maybe the reason you always feel like you have to have sub after 6 hours is because you've probably been dosing "whenever" throughout the day. I did that for many years too and felt the same way you did. Always seemed like I needed more. Subs are very powerful, so once you take some time to get adjusted to dosing only twice a day at the same time every day - like Rose mentioned - your body will follow.

I thought I was stuck on subs forever but then I found this forum and have hope for the first time in many years. Try it, you'll see. But you have to commit to following the plan as well as listening to your body which will tell you when it's time to decrease. Although I used subs for many years, I've been able to decrease my dose about every 6-7 days.

You can do this. I wish you the best!
    -Katherine

Thank you all so much for your posts. I have never tried the taper method that was listed above, but I will now. I think switching to dosing 2 times a day opposed to 3 times a day will be tough, because I've been doing 3 times a day for sooo long. I always take 4mg in the morning when I wake up, 4mg around noon-1:00pm, then another 4mg at night, and sometimes take another 4mg later on in the night. I guess taking higher doses less often might help as was suggested. I really appreciate all the posts and kind words. Since my last posting I have now been on 12mg for 3 days now and feel pretty decent. I'm going to try the twice daily method tomorrow and see how I feel, I just hope I don't have to take 16mg. Is it any easier to get off Subutex? The reason I ask is because my doctor said I could try that if I wanted to, because some people having an easier time getting off of subutex. That's just what the doctor told me. Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks again!

Chaz.
    IwillWin13 likes this.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi Chaz. As far as switching to Subutex, the only difference is it doesn't have the naloxone in it. I take Subutex as well. I believe Robert_325 mentioned something about Subutex being somewhat easier to get off, but I don't know if that's true since I've never taken Suboxone. But Robert definitely knew his stuff, that's for sure.

So you've been taking 12 mgs per day for the last 3 days? If you feel stable, do not increase. It will just make this taper last much longer than necessary. As far getting to 2 doses per day, it will not be difficult at the amount you're taking. Subs are very powerful. Tomorrow, take 6 mg morning and 6 mg evening. Once you feel completely stable, you can do your first reduction of 25% to 9 mg.

Subs have such a long half-life so you will be ok at 2 doses per day. Even if it takes a couple days to "adjust", you will be fine. Keep posting!

Thank you very much for your reply. I think I might try to get my doc to write me half subs and half subutex next month to see how they feel. Today is day 3 on 12mg, but I have been dosing 3 times daily. Tomorrow I will try what you have suggested and take 6mg in the morning and 6mg at night time. I use to be able to just take 8mg in the morning and be done with it and over time I increased trying to get high, this was years ago. So hopefully the two a day dose works out good. I'll keep this thread updated.

Thanks again!

Chaz.

smokey love is offline New Member

hey! I have been on just about every drug available for most of my life.. I am in rehab and gaining my life back everyday.. the thing I have found paramount to my recovery is nutrition!!!! there's a guy called Patrick holfield he's made some amazing discoveries for addicts and people with dis -eases of the mind/body.. Google him !!! he has a book called how to quit without feeling sh*t...
    if u.really.want you life back I truly recomend this.from the bottom of my heart...I wish u all the best in your recovery..Pz&<3

That's funny you say that because I just started on his nutrition kick. I've been making shakes like crazy full of veggies and fruit. Man last night was rough for me. It was the first time in years that I only dosed twice in one day and this is now day 5 on 12mg!!! My back is killing me, but that's about it. I'm glad I got a good group of people to help me out. Thanks so much all of you!