Results 1 to 29 of 29
Like Tree28Likes
  • 1 Post By Ricky71
  • 1 Post By Catrina
  • 2 Post By BonoFan
  • 1 Post By Ming23
  • 3 Post By Ricky71
  • 3 Post By UncleLeo
  • 1 Post By Catrina
  • 3 Post By Catrina
  • 3 Post By BonoFan
  • 2 Post By Catrina
  • 3 Post By BonoFan
  • 2 Post By Catrina
  • 1 Post By Ming23
  • 2 Post By BonoFan
Advice Wanted: Sub Taper or Taper what I am currently on
  1. #1
    BonoFan is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    16

    Red face Advice Wanted: Sub Taper or Taper what I am currently on

    Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my question in advance. I have read threads for some time now and there's truly a lot of great information on here.

    Basically, the short story is I am just wanting off oxycodone and need to know what is the best way to do that.

    We recently had a suboxone clinic open up locally and I have talked with their counselor over the phone about how they do things there. Very friendly and very helpful. I was honest about my concerns of starting suboxone and then not getting off of it. She said I am welcome to do a faster taper I was asking about but that's not something they necessarily have as a plan for their clients to do. She said that's between you and the doctor basically. She said most are here not from their own free will. She said it may just be better to taper off what I am on.

    I have been on for about 4 years up and down as far as my usage. I've taken as less as 5mg of hydrocodone initially, to 320mg of Oxy at one point (basically saying I haven't been at a high dose the entire time). As of recently I had got myself down to about 120mg of Oxo 1 80 in the morning and then 40 in the evening. I can press myself and just take an 80. I may not have as much drive as far as work goes, but don't have symptoms at all. I've just done it to be comfortable.

    Lastly, I want to be smart considering the amount I have left and I told my doctor yesterday I was going to try to quit this month. I'm willing to just take an amount to relieve the withdrawal symptoms and not be comfortable but still without symptoms. I have the mindset of wanting off. That's what I want. I'm ready. I, like most, just didn't know what to expect after stopping the medicine. The fear of not knowing has kept me from trying I guess. I left out the reason I'm on pain medication for now to keep my post relatively short. I can tell that side if it's necessary.

    Basically I have about 7 80s ER, 10 30s ER and 100 10s Percocet.

    Honest look at where I'm at right now: I can take 80mg of the ER and get through a day without any symptoms honestly. I'm sure it could even be less. So here's my 3 questions...

    1) Should I find out as low as I can take and function ok first?

    2) Should I consider switching to Suboxone and do Robert's taper?

    3) Should I stick with my tapering plan I made myself of decreasing 10%-25% every 2-5 days depending on how I feel)

    Thank you guys so much! I look forward to your advice.

    Chadd

  2. #2
    BonoFan is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    16

    Question

    Taper using Suboxone or Taper using Oxycontin

    Here's my current taper plan:

    240.0
    192.0
    153.6
    122.9
    98.3
    78.6
    62.9
    50.3
    40.3 _I'm happy to stay here for a little longer if needed. I don't want to go too fast.
    25.8
    20.6
    16.5
    13.2

    The smaller numbers after 25 or 20, the doctor is willing to prescribe 7.5's or 5's next month for me.

  3. #3
    Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonoFan View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my question in advance. I have read threads for some time now and there's truly a lot of great information on here.

    Basically, the short story is I am just wanting off oxycodone and need to know what is the best way to do that.

    We recently had a suboxone clinic open up locally and I have talked with their counselor over the phone about how they do things there. Very friendly and very helpful. I was honest about my concerns of starting suboxone and then not getting off of it. She said I am welcome to do a faster taper I was asking about but that's not something they necessarily have as a plan for their clients to do. She said that's between you and the doctor basically. She said most are here not from their own free will. She said it may just be better to taper off what I am on.

    I have been on for about 4 years up and down as far as my usage. I've taken as less as 5mg of hydrocodone initially, to 320mg of Oxy at one point (basically saying I haven't been at a high dose the entire time). As of recently I had got myself down to about 120mg of Oxo 1 80 in the morning and then 40 in the evening. I can press myself and just take an 80. I may not have as much drive as far as work goes, but don't have symptoms at all. I've just done it to be comfortable.

    Lastly, I want to be smart considering the amount I have left and I told my doctor yesterday I was going to try to quit this month. I'm willing to just take an amount to relieve the withdrawal symptoms and not be comfortable but still without symptoms. I have the mindset of wanting off. That's what I want. I'm ready. I, like most, just didn't know what to expect after stopping the medicine. The fear of not knowing has kept me from trying I guess. I left out the reason I'm on pain medication for now to keep my post relatively short. I can tell that side if it's necessary.

    Basically I have about 7 80s ER, 10 30s ER and 100 10s Percocet.

    Honest look at where I'm at right now: I can take 80mg of the ER and get through a day without any symptoms honestly. I'm sure it could even be less. So here's my 3 questions...

    1) Should I find out as low as I can take and function ok first?

    2) Should I consider switching to Suboxone and do Robert's taper?

    3) Should I stick with my tapering plan I made myself of decreasing 10%-25% every 2-5 days depending on how I feel)

    Thank you guys so much! I look forward to your advice.

    Chadd
    Hello Chadd and welcome to the forum. My suggestion is to forget about the subs all together, subs should only be used as a last resort after multiple failed attempts at trying to quit by either tapering and/or cold turkey.

    What about just quitting cold turkey? This would be the quickest way to get through this! Tapering is very difficult, it takes a lot discipline! Tapering has to be done very slowly to avoid or at least minimize withdrawal symptoms, if you taper too fast or by too much you'll be in a constant state of withdrawal all the way through the entire taper! We can help you with the taper if that is what you want to do but you should definitely consider going cold turkey first? Update when you can? Take care... God bless us all!
    UncleLeo likes this.

  4. #4
    BonoFan is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Thanks for the response Ricky71. I wrote out a 2 week taper last night. Just to at least decrease the amount I've been taking - whether to quit or simply decrease for now I'm happy with either outcome shorter. Longterm (next 2-3 months) I would like to quit altogether. The doctor is fine with my staying where I'm at I'm just sick of depending on a pill. I feel that this recentvery strong mentality has helped me tremendously. There's a fight in me I haven't had and I want to take action. Looking forward to being free.

    I have ordered some "Thomas Recipe" items if you will, such as the L-Tyrosine, Vitamin Supplement called Calm Support, etc. I have been taking the vitamin supplement for a week in case I decided to quit in the next week or two.

    Should I move my thread since we ruled out suboxone? I'm new and don't want to make any of the regulars or moderators upset.

    Thanks again!

  5. #5
    BonoFan is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Had a few typos in my response above.

    I will definitely consider doing it cold turkey. Any recommendations for this process? Thanks!

  6. #6
    Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonoFan View Post
    Thanks for the response Ricky71. I wrote out a 2 week taper last night. Just to at least decrease the amount I've been taking - whether to quit or simply decrease for now I'm happy with either outcome shorter. Longterm (next 2-3 months) I would like to quit altogether. The doctor is fine with my staying where I'm at I'm just sick of depending on a pill. I feel that this recentvery strong mentality has helped me tremendously. There's a fight in me I haven't had and I want to take action. Looking forward to being free.

    I have ordered some "Thomas Recipe" items if you will, such as the L-Tyrosine, Vitamin Supplement called Calm Support, etc. I have been taking the vitamin supplement for a week in case I decided to quit in the next week or two.

    Should I move my thread since we ruled out suboxone? I'm new and don't want to make any of the regulars or moderators upset.

    Thanks again!
    It's fine to keep your thread right here. I'm short on time right now but will be back later tonight. In the meantime I'll ask Catrina (Cat) to stop by your thread, she can give you all the ins and outs of the cold turkey process. Keep checking back? Be well... God bless us all!

  7. #7
    BonoFan is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    It's fine to keep your thread right here. I'm short on time right now but will be back later tonight. In the meantime I'll ask Catrina (Cat) to stop by your thread, she can give you all the ins and outs of the cold turkey process. Keep checking back? Be well... God bless us all!
    Thanks Ricky. I'm gonna taper until I hear back from you guys. I appreciate your response since you're the only one who has wrote back. I start my journal tomorrow of my process. I hope something I write down will help someone else in the future.

  8. #8
    UncleLeo is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,253

    Default

    Hey Chad - congrats on re-claiming control over your life. Couple quick questions - how old are you and how physically injured are you that you still need pain meds?

    When it comes to the Oxy I'm 100% with Ricky. He's helped guide a lot of people through their recovery.

    It's definitely good to get your dose down a bit and start planning for some time off work - whatever you can get, and then putting some sort of support network in place.

    Alright, keep posting buddy. You got this.

  9. #9
    Catrina is offline Diamond Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,142

    Default

    Hi Chad,

    It's unanimous. Deep six the sub plan for now. Here's what I would do. Because you have your doctor on board so that you can do this slowly if you have to and because it seems from reading your posts that this is your first go-round to quit, I personally would try to taper. I've tried it and never had any luck because I have no self discipline. But I did try and so should you. You'll never know if you can do it that way unless you try and no question, it's the least physically uncomfortable. You are taking a fairly high dose. I'd try to first do my best to get off the ER things first even if that means that you'll need more of the short acting oxys. You'll have more control with the short acting opiates because you'll have a bit more control.

    I glanced at your taper plan. Keep in mind that you should never compare or use the sub taper plan for the things that you are taking. Totally different animal because the subs are much, much stronger and have a much longer half life. You noted more than once that 80mg/day can keep you comfortable. If it were me, I'd first figure out the lowest amount I could get by with and be comfortable. How about starting by trying to stick to a daily dose of 80mg for a week to see how you feel and if you can do it. If you get too uncomfortable, add a little until you ARE comfortable and that would be a good place to start. I just don't see any point beginning your taper at a higher daily dose than you need to. During this "experimental" stage while you are figuring out how much you need, take the time before you dose to get honest with yourself. Take a minute or two and assess how you feel. Are you in pain or do you just feel differently than when you were taking more? This time will be critical for you because you'll know soon enough if you will be able to stick with a taper plan. No shame in not being able to do it, most of us can't.

    If you can get yourself down to around 80mg/day for a week or two and feel mostly comfortable, you could either begin to taper but by only around 10% every 5 days to a week. The alternative would be to just jump cold turkey at that point.

    Does this sound like the beginning of a plan that might work for you? Let us know and we can help. (Stay away from the subs. No way do you need them. At least not yet, if ever.)

    Peace,

    Cat
    UncleLeo likes this.

  10. #10
    BonoFan is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    16

    Question

    Thank you guys again.

    Let me ask about the ER. Is the reason to use these first because of the half-life?

    Also, what would you recommend if I wanted to quit in the next week or two? Give me an emergency plan type scenario too. I'm weighing out the options cause I'm just tired of it. I'm going to try and taper but tell me what to do if I can't. Let's say I have enough for 7 days before I do a cold turkey approach.

    I can tell you my story on my next post to help answer your questions.

    Thanks again,

    Chadd

  11. #11
    BonoFan is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    16

    Default

    If someone quits cold turkey, can they quit after taking random amounts and not know their daily intake minimum?

    I'll be honest. I was switched to these short acting ones and I struggled with it and started using my ER's I have left.

  12. #12
    UncleLeo is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,253

    Default

    You can quit from any amount at any time - up to you.

    Quick question though. You said: "I'm willing to just take an amount to relieve the withdrawal symptoms and not be comfortable but still without symptoms."

    What do you mean by that? Not sure I follow.

    Keep pushin buddy

  13. #13
    BonoFan is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleLeo View Post
    You can quit from any amount at any time - up to you.

    Quick question though. You said: "I'm willing to just take an amount to relieve the withdrawal symptoms and not be comfortable but still without symptoms."

    What do you mean by that? Not sure I follow.

    Keep pushin buddy
    I guess I'm saying will taking the 10s I have, 1 or 2 every few hours (or as long as possible) help me the coming off of opiates from a higher dose I've been on? Let's say for 2 or 3 days before going cold turkey.

    As far as oxy is concerned, I'm gathering it's best to just quit than get on suboxone. Would a week off (let's say Monday thru Sunday) help me get through a cold turkey withdrawal?

    Thanks, as always.

  14. #14
    BonoFan is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    16

    Default For Catrina

    Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    Hi Chad,

    It's unanimous. Deep six the sub plan for now. Here's what I would do. Because you have your doctor on board so that you can do this slowly if you have to and because it seems from reading your posts that this is your first go-round to quit, I personally would try to taper. I've tried it and never had any luck because I have no self discipline. But I did try and so should you. You'll never know if you can do it that way unless you try and no question, it's the least physically uncomfortable. You are taking a fairly high dose. I'd try to first do my best to get off the ER things first even if that means that you'll need more of the short acting oxys. You'll have more control with the short acting opiates because you'll have a bit more control.

    I glanced at your taper plan. Keep in mind that you should never compare or use the sub taper plan for the things that you are taking. Totally different animal because the subs are much, much stronger and have a much longer half life. You noted more than once that 80mg/day can keep you comfortable. If it were me, I'd first figure out the lowest amount I could get by with and be comfortable. How about starting by trying to stick to a daily dose of 80mg for a week to see how you feel and if you can do it. If you get too uncomfortable, add a little until you ARE comfortable and that would be a good place to start. I just don't see any point beginning your taper at a higher daily dose than you need to. During this "experimental" stage while you are figuring out how much you need, take the time before you dose to get honest with yourself. Take a minute or two and assess how you feel. Are you in pain or do you just feel differently than when you were taking more? This time will be critical for you because you'll know soon enough if you will be able to stick with a taper plan. No shame in not being able to do it, most of us can't.

    If you can get yourself down to around 80mg/day for a week or two and feel mostly comfortable, you could either begin to taper but by only around 10% every 5 days to a week. The alternative would be to just jump cold turkey at that point.

    Does this sound like the beginning of a plan that might work for you? Let us know and we can help. (Stay away from the subs. No way do you need them. At least not yet, if ever.)

    Peace,

    Cat
    Thanks for stopping by Catrina. Talk to me about quitting cold turkey. Does it matter the amount I've been on recently? Will 6 or 7 days off work get me through the physical symptoms? Everyone around has been getting the flu. I could definitely use get by with saying that's most likely what I have if I could return to work at some point the next week.

    Thank you so much.
    Ming23 and Catrina like this.

  15. #15
    Ming23 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,072

    Default

    YES!!
    Cat has said that it's like having a bad flu for a week. That's why so many folks suggest that u quit cold so you don't have to go through a long taper. It took me a long time to feel normal after stopping 4 months of sub.
    Your choice, of course but YES--you could say u have a bad flu!! Just think--you could be off this in a short time. You might want to get Imodium and Nyquil!
    Go for it!
    UncleLeo likes this.

  16. #16
    BonoFan is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    16

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Ming23 View Post
    YES!!
    Cat has said that it's like having a bad flu for a week. That's why so many folks suggest that u quit cold so you don't have to go through a long taper. It took me a long time to feel normal after stopping 4 months of sub.
    Your choice, of course but YES--you could say u have a bad flu!! Just think--you could be off this in a short time. You might want to get Imodium and Nyquil!
    Go for it!
    Thanks Ming!

    Cat, Leo and Rick -

    I only have a few ER's left, then I am taking the IR until it's cold turkey time. Gonna stretch them as far as I can go. If that's 3 days, a week or two weeks - that's the plan. I will be taking a week off of work when it is time. Last question as I prepare.

    I managed to get 3 subs since I'm still interested in the fact maybe using .25mg, .5mg or 1mg (what i've read for short tapers) to help get through the first 3 or 4 days and then not take it anymore. For whatever reason, I like the idea of it. I feel like it's something I can do for sure. Or I thought of going to a methadone clinic for 2 or 3 days only and then not returning. I talked to someone yesterday that has done that before and they were able to shake it as that relieved most of the physical symptoms.

    Since I respect what you guys have to say, I will stay away from it if advised. But would you be honest with me as I would only have 3 subs. Don't have a way to get more. And I wouldn't want to use but a small amount. Friend even said a small amount crushed up (cutting it into 8 or 16 pieces and putting a small amount on your tongue type of thing.)

    1) Hold out for 3-5 days through the worst of it with only Thomas Recipe items and a few ideas of my own (a massager for legs, heating pad, etc)

    2) Using a small amount of sub for 1-3 days at only a small dose each day

    3) Using the methadone clinic to mask the initial 3-5 days but not continue going

    #1 or #2 feel the best. I promise I wouldn't continue taking the subs. I've never taken one and I wouldn't want to continue. But if it can be used to help somewhat can you advise me how? I'm really excited about this almost being over. I really want my first attempt to be a success.

    Last question, clonidine. Should I have my doctor prescribe me a few days worth?

    Thanks again. You guys are truly amazing for helping everyone.

  17. #17
    Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonoFan View Post
    Thanks Ming!

    Cat, Leo and Rick -

    I only have a few ER's left, then I am taking the IR until it's cold turkey time. Gonna stretch them as far as I can go. If that's 3 days, a week or two weeks - that's the plan. I will be taking a week off of work when it is time. Last question as I prepare.

    I managed to get 3 subs since I'm still interested in the fact maybe using .25mg, .5mg or 1mg (what i've read for short tapers) to help get through the first 3 or 4 days and then not take it anymore. For whatever reason, I like the idea of it. I feel like it's something I can do for sure. Or I thought of going to a methadone clinic for 2 or 3 days only and then not returning. I talked to someone yesterday that has done that before and they were able to shake it as that relieved most of the physical symptoms.

    Since I respect what you guys have to say, I will stay away from it if advised. But would you be honest with me as I would only have 3 subs. Don't have a way to get more. And I wouldn't want to use but a small amount. Friend even said a small amount crushed up (cutting it into 8 or 16 pieces and putting a small amount on your tongue type of thing.)

    1) Hold out for 3-5 days through the worst of it with only Thomas Recipe items and a few ideas of my own (a massager for legs, heating pad, etc)

    2) Using a small amount of sub for 1-3 days at only a small dose each day

    3) Using the methadone clinic to mask the initial 3-5 days but not continue going

    #1 or #2 feel the best. I promise I wouldn't continue taking the subs. I've never taken one and I wouldn't want to continue. But if it can be used to help somewhat can you advise me how? I'm really excited about this almost being over. I really want my first attempt to be a success.

    Last question, clonidine. Should I have my doctor prescribe me a few days worth?

    Thanks again. You guys are truly amazing for helping everyone.
    Chadd - sorry, I haven't caught up on your thread since I posted last.

    To answer your questions - definitely DO NOT use the subs and definitely DO NOT use the methadone! Some people do use subs in the way that you have described but it is very seldom successful and not recommended! Using subs or methadone would get you through the initial oxy withdrawal but then you would have to detox from the sub or methadone which would be way worse!

    Yes for the clonidine. It is often prescribed for opiate withdrawal and can help ease some of the withdrawal symptoms.

    A week off of work is plenty of time for a cold turkey detox. Like Cat says, by day 5 you'll be through the worst of the physical withdrawal symptoms. After that you'll have some lingering issues like low energy, trouble sleeping and possibly some anxiety and/or depression? All of these lingering symptoms will improve as more clean time passes. Exercise is key to speed up the recovery process!

    Let us know exactly how much Oxy ER and Oxy IR that you have left? Stock up on the Thomas Recipe items now if you haven't already? Update when you can? God bless us all!

    PS
    Forget about the subs and methadone!
    UncleLeo, Catrina and DravenDomnq like this.

  18. #18
    BonoFan is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    16

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    Chadd - sorry, I haven't caught up on your thread since I posted last.

    To answer your questions - definitely DO NOT use the subs and definitely DO NOT use the methadone! Some people do use subs in the way that you have described but it is very seldom successful and not recommended! Using subs or methadone would get you through the initial oxy withdrawal but then you would have to detox from the sub or methadone which would be way worse!

    Yes for the clonidine. It is often prescribed for opiate withdrawal and can help ease some of the withdrawal symptoms.

    A week off of work is plenty of time for a cold turkey detox. Like Cat says, by day 5 you'll be through the worst of the physical withdrawal symptoms. After that you'll have some lingering issues like low energy, trouble sleeping and possibly some anxiety and/or depression? All of these lingering symptoms will improve as more clean time passes. Exercise is key to speed up the recovery process!

    Let us know exactly how much Oxy ER and Oxy IR that you have left? Stock up on the Thomas Recipe items now if you haven't already? Update when you can? God bless us all!

    PS
    Forget about the subs and methadone!
    Thanks for the prompt reply.

    Even using sub for 1 to 3 days would make you go through a different type of withdrawal? The friend used the least amount possible and was able to get through withdrawals easier. I hope I explained it correctly. I trust you guys though and will give them back if it is not useful.

    I have two 80 ER's left. Plan to take 1 today once I actually wake up. and then 1 tomorrow.
    I have about 120 IR's left (increments of 10).

  19. #19
    Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonoFan View Post
    Thanks for the prompt reply.

    Even using sub for 1 to 3 days would make you go through a different type of withdrawal? The friend used the least amount possible and was able to get through withdrawals easier. I hope I explained it correctly. I trust you guys though and will give them back if it is not useful.

    I have two 80 ER's left. Plan to take 1 today once I actually wake up. and then 1 tomorrow.
    I have about 120 IR's left (increments of 10).
    Let me try to rephrase, by using subs short-term in the way you describe will get you through the initial oxy withdrawal but then when you stop the subs you'll most likely withdrawal from that. It may not be way worse as I mentioned before but you'll definitely be prolonging the whole detox process by using the subs short-term.

    I'm not saying that this method hasn't helped others with their withdrawal process but it definitely is not something that is recommended or has a lot of positive results. If this was very successful everyone would detox this way! There's no easy ride through this, if there was someone would of found it by now!

    Hang tight, others will be by to weigh in on the subject?

    In the meantime keep tapering the oxy as slow as possible to minimize any withdrawal symptoms? Take care... God bless us all!

  20. #20
    UncleLeo is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,253

    Default

    +1 Ricky. Red alert. Red alert. Do NOT take the sub or methadone! Do NOT. Do NOT.

    It's where all of us who have actually been through all of this and seen way too much of it have collectively realized 99% of the doctor/experts clearly have no real clue.

    Throw away the sub even. Others can explain the methadone if necessary...

  21. #21
    Catrina is offline Diamond Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,142

    Default

    Chadd,

    I'm sorry I've been away on vacation and just walked in the door. I have to head back out for a quick work meeting but I'd really like to share things with you and give you my advice. I will be back. Give me an hour or so.

    Peace,

    Cat
    UncleLeo likes this.

  22. #22
    BonoFan is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Looking forward to it Cat. Thanks everyone else as well.

  23. #23
    Catrina is offline Diamond Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,142

    Default

    OK. I'm back. You've got some really good advice already that I totally agree with. Get rid of those subs and don't even use the word "methadone".

    Cold turkey detox is totally doable. The very first step is to get your head in the right place. You don't HAVE to do this. You WANT to do this. Having been down this road more times than I can count, I can tell you the only times I was remotely successful was when I quit but still had pills. It made it my choice. If I quit because I ran out early, I was at the pharmacy waiting for it to open just as soon as my new script was ready.

    Detox is very predictable. My Day one didn't stop me and I went to work. Some anxiety and waiting for the shoe to fall but not bad. By that night, I began with aches and during the overnight hours, restless legs set in. By sometime the following day, I had Immodium in my pocket at all times. Days 2-4 things were pretty much the same. Little to no sleep. I used heating pads on my legs and back and took hot baths often. The aches and restless legs stopped very abruptly around Day 5 and I was left weak and tired. It took another 2 or 3 weeks to begin to get an acceptable amount of sleep but I was always comfortable so it was OK. The Immodium remained in my pocket for a few days after detox but not too many and it worked well so no issues there.

    Drink as much as you can stomach. Walk around as often as you can and just take care of yourself. Hide the clocks because time crawls. Watch movies, jump on here and post and read. Anything to get through those days.

    I have jumped from well over 200mg/day and jumped from 80mg/day. Not much difference. If you have symptoms from tapering, why prolong this? Just go for it.

    Tiny amounts of subs is just not a good idea. They are far stronger than anything you are taking and they WILL help while you are taking them. The problem is is that they are still an opiate and when you stop, you guessed it. You'll get to detox from those. Bottom line is that using them that way will only prolong your detox. Clean is clean and there's no shortcuts. We have to trudge right on through to get to the other side.

    Peace,

    Cat

  24. #24
    BonoFan is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    16

    Question

    Thank you for checking back in Cat.

    I am taking my last ER tomorrow.

    I am then going to use most of what I have left to get me to next Monday or Tuesday and when I get the next 5 days off in a row, I'm going for it. I'm excited. I'm ready to embrace what comes. I have an idea of how I'm going to stir myself up (encouragement wise). I'm printing off pictures of my brother, my best friend and our business we created and every time I look in the mirror during these few days, I'm going to remember why I am doing this - and first and foremost it's for me. I will not have to take this pill the rest of my life. I'm going to get my life back. I'm going on through to the other side and not going to look back.

    I appreciate you guys. I plan on checking in daily with you all. I would love to hear from you all. Should I start a journal or should I just post here? I would love the support. Just in the few posts so far I feel like I have made some great friends.
    UncleLeo, DravenDomnq and Catrina like this.

  25. #25
    Catrina is offline Diamond Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonoFan View Post
    Thank you for checking back in Cat.

    I am taking my last ER tomorrow.

    I am then going to use most of what I have left to get me to next Monday or Tuesday and when I get the next 5 days off in a row, I'm going for it. I'm excited. I'm ready to embrace what comes. I have an idea of how I'm going to stir myself up (encouragement wise). I'm printing off pictures of my brother, my best friend and our business we created and every time I look in the mirror during these few days, I'm going to remember why I am doing this - and first and foremost it's for me. I will not have to take this pill the rest of my life. I'm going to get my life back. I'm going on through to the other side and not going to look back.

    I appreciate you guys. I plan on checking in daily with you all. I would love to hear from you all. Should I start a journal or should I just post here? I would love the support. Just in the few posts so far I feel like I have made some great friends.
    Beginning to journal is a good thing. Many people use this Forum and their thread to do just that. I did and in the process made plenty of friends who supported me and pulled me off the ledge when I was teetering. Your post made me smile. That was the same mind set as I had seven years ago. Reading here inspired me to the point that I was excited to face my Day 1 instead of being terrified of it. It's our choice and with commitment we only have to do it this last time. It brings recovery within our reach and once we know what to expect both short and long term we're prepared for it. I knew all too well what detox felt like--geez it took me a long time to get it right. Before my last jump, I was only able to last days because I just wasn't ready to months when I became complacent and honestly thought I could handle, "just this once". Yeah. Not so much. We learn to deal with the cravings and as time goes by they become less intense and so much easier to dismiss.

    I can't wait to follow your journey and cheer you on to get this done. Continue use is just progressive and does nothing but get worse. Getting and staying clean isn't easy but it gets progressively better. Is it worth it? You betcha.

    Peace,

    Cat
    DravenDomnq and UncleLeo like this.

  26. #26
    BonoFan is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Hey Cat, it's almost go time for me. I've prepared the best I know how.

    2 bottles of Imodium
    Bengay
    Massage deal for calves and back (my shoulder already hurts where I can notice it after tapering down)
    Heated blanket
    My shower and restroom is 5 ft away from my bed
    I took off work
    L Tyrosine
    Calm Support
    Water bottles
    Tv/Netflix
    Computer to Journal
    Natural sleep supplement (I'm ready to embrace the no sleeping. Not gonna fight it. Lol)



    My doctor prescribed me 14 clonidine pills. Can you help me with how and when to use these? I also have 4 xanax. I asked for them in case I got in the battle and needed it.

    Since I'm within 24hours of go time, will you guys stop by with any last advice?
    UncleLeo, Ming23 and Catrina like this.

  27. #27
    Catrina is offline Diamond Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonoFan View Post
    Hey Cat, it's almost go time for me. I've prepared the best I know how.

    2 bottles of Imodium
    Bengay
    Massage deal for calves and back (my shoulder already hurts where I can notice it after tapering down)
    Heated blanket
    My shower and restroom is 5 ft away from my bed
    I took off work
    L Tyrosine
    Calm Support
    Water bottles
    Tv/Netflix
    Computer to Journal
    Natural sleep supplement (I'm ready to embrace the no sleeping. Not gonna fight it. Lol)



    My doctor prescribed me 14 clonidine pills. Can you help me with how and when to use these? I also have 4 xanax. I asked for them in case I got in the battle and needed it.

    Since I'm within 24hours of go time, will you guys stop by with any last advice?
    Good news and you sound ready. The clonidine is a high blood pressure med that is used off-label for anxiety and restless legs during detox. You can take the clonidine once every four hours but shouldn't exceed 1mg/day. After day 5, you should taper off of them by reducing what you're taking leaving your bedtime dose for last. I never had them but most people have reported that they help a lot. I had 3 xanax going into cold turkey. I used the first one around the second and another on the forth night so that I could catch a few hours sleep. The last one I used maybe a week and half later because I was still having trouble sleeping. I'd suggest that you use them that way too. My Day 1 was never that horrible. That night I fell asleep but woke up in full blown withdrawal a few hours later. I took a hot bath and put a movie on. You only have 3 xanex so I'd suggest you go as long as you can without taking one. You'll be glad to have them a few days in.

    Drink as much as you can. If you're like I am, you won't be getting much sleep and it's very hard to just be still for those first five days. Get up and walk around. Try to do some simple chores like loading the dishwasher or doing a load of laundry. Haunt this Forum posting often and reading long threads. Once my symptoms peaked on Day 2, they remained consistent and then the worst of it (RLS and the aches) stopped abruptly on Day 5. I think it's important to know that the symptoms don't usually subside gradually during those first 5 days or you will hope and watch for relief. If you know and expect that things won't turn around until around Day 5, you can surrender to it and just do whatever you can to treat the symptoms and to pass the time as best you can.

    I'll watch for you. Good luck and my best wishes.

    Peace,

    Cat
    Ming23 and UncleLeo like this.

  28. #28
    Ming23 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,072

    Default

    Bono
    You can do this! In no time you'll be free!! Post when u can!
    UncleLeo likes this.

  29. #29
    BonoFan is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Thank you!

    I haven't left you guys. I chose to taper down some more because I've been doing fine with it. I can tell just a little bit that my dose has went down. But if I didn't know for sure, I probably would have never guessed it. Looking forward to the jump. I'm ready for it. Ready to blog about my experience and one day help someone else just as Cat and the rest of you have.
    UncleLeo and Ming23 like this.

Similar Threads

  1. Advice on sub taper at .25
    By Albacorey in forum Suboxone Treatment
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 12-12-2016, 10:54 AM
  2. I wanted to know if Roberts taper will work for me?
    By I_CantWait in forum Need to Talk?
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-15-2014, 11:02 AM
  3. On my sub taper and could use advice.
    By Harry Spotter in forum Suboxone Treatment
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 12-27-2013, 11:32 AM
  4. Taper buddy, taper plan, robert-325 followers, help?
    By Idkhow in forum Need to Talk?
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-14-2012, 07:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22