Like Tree13Likes
  • 6 Post By B-Y
  • 2 Post By H8teopiates
  • 1 Post By James19871
  • 1 Post By B-Y
  • 1 Post By Lisajarvis
  • 1 Post By I hatesubs123
  • 1 Post By Tears in Texas
almost 3 weeks off subs after 7-8 years!
    B-Y
    B-Y is offline New Member

Default almost 3 weeks off subs after 7-8 years!

Hello everyone,

I just quit Suboxone after seven years , my final dose was 1 mg on December 27th. I wasn't able to make it below 2 mg consistently. Also from when I decided to quit, to when I quit it just wasn't realistic to get down really low. I'm 36 years old with a 2 1/2-year-old boy and a wife who is pregnant and a job that demands my attention. I took two weeks off for a "holiday vacation" . I started Vicodin at 24 y/o, then to Norco, then to Percocet , and inevitably oxys, phentanyl, morphine etc... I went to a methadone clinic at 26 years old (looking back I should of just quit and suffered) I ended up getting kicked out of the methadone clinic and came clean with my doctor put me on a prescription of methadone. Well seven years ago I made the switch over to Suboxone. Life got busy and I didn't want to put my wife through my detox so I just put it off.. My son was born 2-1/2 years ago and that was hard I really wanted to stop. When my wife announced she was pregnant three months ago again I knew it was time and I started praying. I went to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription as I have done for seven years and the pharmacist told me she cannot fill it (I have had the same insurance since I was 18 through a union company) they either want to be in pain management or addiction therapy I was not in pain nor wanted to go to addiction therapy meetings three days a week. I didn't need the counseling I knew I was ready to quit and just needed to do it so my doctor wrote me one last prescription of 30 qty 2 mg and I started to taper from 12 mg (1-1/2 8mg per day) December 26 came up really fast and I had gotten down to 2 mg. I had already stocked up on all the supplements I had read about , and in general am a healthy person with a clean diet. I ended up going back to work three days early on Wednesday the 6th instead of Monday the 11th (5 DAYS EARLY) due to all the phone calls and thinking getting out would help..that was soooo hard!!! But I made it to Friday and got 2 days off. I went to the museums all day sat with family and I can't stress how therapeutic that was!

ANYWAY, I'm doing ok now sleeping 4 hours at most at night, with minor creepy crawly fits. I'm very proud of myself and anyone who has overcome addiction..that 10+ years was a blink of an eye in a fog..IM SO BLESSED TO BE FREE , AND EVERY DAY GET A BIT MORE ENERGY,MOTIVATION BACK! I wasn't going to post, I've been lurking for a long time..but hope this will inspire someone..

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Welcome!

I hope you continue to post and report your progress. Your story is inspirational. We all know what it feels like to anticipate detox and it's important for others to know that getting clean is possible. We tend to pay more attention to the horror stories so we need more from folks like you to counteract them.

Congratulations on your decision and on adding another little angel to your family.

Peace,

Cat

B-Y

Thanks Cat,
    Not gonna lie and say it was easy but it is definitely doable if you want it bad enough. Another thing I used minimally was Kratom after a few days to ease things a bit. I'll keep updating this thread as i progress.

Hearshot_Kid is offline Junior Member

Congrats on your clean time, that's such a huge inspiration! I hope each day is getting better for you. Keep posting your journey, your success is an inspiration to those of us trying to come off it now.

H8teopiates is offline New Member

Today makes day 30 for me off suboxone after taking pain meds and subs since 2008. I love reading peoples success stories no matter how short or how long of quitting. Good luck and stay in their
    Hearshot_Kid and Ming23 like this.

James19871 is offline Member

Hey B-Y,

Congrats man, that's awesome!!! Keep us posted on your progress.

Today is day 46 for me off subs. Been on them for 12 years, and 3 years of H prior. It's a pretty awesome feeling too!!
    Hearshot_Kid likes this.

B-Y

James, H8 and hearshot,

WE are a select few that have the desire and willpower to get off.. Ive heard only 5% get off opiates for good thrown around, but idk.DONT GIVE UP OR GET DISCOUAGED!! I think I was having a pretty good day when I posted this thread and since I've had valleys and peaks. I'm at 25 days now and still not sleeping more than 4-5 hours a night (not bad) . And still a bit lethargic during the day but can usually combat that naturally. I still have to take some sort of benzo at night but I alternate what types I take with gabapentin, which really makes me woozy lol. I told my wife when she asked that within six months I will be better that's my timeline. It's hard but I got myself into this hole now I have to climb out , The highest high for the lowest low..but in retrospect everyday is a peak not being a physical/mental slave to suboxone/opiates!!! God bless you all and keep on going!!
    Hearshot_Kid likes this.

Hearshot_Kid is offline Junior Member

B-Y,
    That's exactly what I keep telling myself... I got into this mess and now I've gotta climb out! I can't tell you how much it's helping to have comrades coming through it at the same time (especially ahead of me like you and James and some others on here). Thanks for being here and leading the way!

B-Y

I'll tell you all one thing that was huge for me...Kratom and klonopin helped a lot !! But as a ex addict you don't want to switch addictions, so I used the benzos very cautiously and no kratom on weekends..the recovery off suboxone has come in waves for me..but struggle and sorrow build character..I know we will come out of this stronger, and wiser. You have to tell yourself "I WILL quit" not "I'll TRY my best to quit" ...and know that the road of addiction leads only to pain and suffering..

Hi B-Y,

I know exactly what you mean regarding the ups and downs. I still get them throughout the day. Mainly energy related. Same goes for sleep, some nights good, some nights not so good. I'm just thrilled that I'm starting to see more ups than downs. Today I worked out harder than I have in years, and Im throwing up weights that I never could before.

I agree 100% with your statement regarding the determination needed to quit. I wanted off this s*** and failure was not an option. I didn't care if I had to be sick for the next year, I will never cave!! It burned up way to many years of my life, being unhappy and numb.

Even though I'm still dealing with symptoms, overall I feel pretty damn good and getting better each week. It just feels so awesome to no longer be a slave to the sub!! I can't wait to see what the next few months feel like.

Hang in there everyone!!!

Lisajarvis is offline Junior Member

Hi b-y. Well done. That's amazing!! I had my last dose on Boxing Day after being on them for over ten years and so glad to be off them.
    Ming23 likes this.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Congrats to all of you!
    I am coming up on one year off
    Suboxone
    1/30
    It is so worth the fight!
    Painful experiences
    Are a cleansing !
    And
    Being tired
    Is a
    Wake call
    To change something!
    When I was on sub
    I did not experience
    either..
    Of those feelings
    I really feel being numb
    Minimizes our experiences as
    A human being...
    Because we don't feel
    The good either!
    Now I feel
    Both
    And
    Love it!
    Rockin
    It
    Clean
    In
    2016!
    Bette

B-Y

Quote Originally Posted by Iluv2smile View Post
    Congrats to all of you!
    I am coming up on one year off
    Suboxone
    1/30
    It is so worth the fight!
    Painful experiences
    Are a cleansing !
    And
    Being tired
    Is a
    Wake call
    To change something!
    When I was on sub
    I did not experience
    either..
    Of those feelings
    I really feel being numb
    Minimizes our experiences as
    A human being...
    Because we don't feel
    The good either!
    Now I feel
    Both
    And
    Love it!
    Rockin
    It
    Clean
    In
    2016!
    Bette
    Thanks ALL for kind words and support!!!!!

Bette,

How is it after 4 months, 6 months , 8 months and 12 months..I'm not expecting to feel "normal" or back to my old self after 2 months..but was wanting to hear from another ex suboxone user how they felt physically. Thanks and only thing I regret is not doing this sooner!

B-Y

DAY 40 update!
    I thought I would give all of you update hopefully it helps someone . As I mentioned I was using kratom to get through my physically and mentally demanding days at work . It works but I knew that it was hindering my recovery . I truly believe in order to fully recover abstinence from all drugs is the best . I quit using benzos at night , and started using med marijuana. I've never been a marijuana user , but it is helping me get sleep i desperately need. I cut back from 10-15 grams of Kratom a day to 6-9 , I'm starting to grapple and do jiujitsu 3-4x a week at 6:30 pm and that's prob helped the most as far as energy and sleep goes. I wake up in the morning's groggy but definitely not dead like the first three weeks. I'm going to continue to taper from the kratom and alternate days off. I'm very proud of myself and can not wait until I'm 100% drug,rx, herb free and just high on life like I was prior to opiates..it will come.

GOOD JOB TO ALL WHO HAVE, OR ARE QUITTING ANY DRUG..KEEP MOVING FORWARD!!

I hatesubs123 is offline New Member

Thanks so much for your update ,I have tapered down to 1.5 mg after about 6 years and so ready to be done and your story is much appreciated .I will probably start my own thread to document my progress.Im dreaming of the day I will have the motivation to join Serra jui jitsu.
    Ming23 likes this.

Your story is almost me exactly. 2 1/2 yr old son (9 yr old too). Except I'm Mom. On day 9 of nothing in my system after 8 years on Suboxone. Gives me hope because I feel horrible. I felt a little better everyday on days 1-5 and day 6 hit me like a brick and been kinda stuck in rut. Hardest thing I have ever done. Thanks for update gave me hope. So happy for you and your family I can't wait to feel like that again
    Ming23 likes this.

[deleted - swearing]
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-05-2016 at 10:32 PM.