Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
almost done with the suboxone!
    mammaj Guest

Default almost done with the suboxone!

Hi folks... I posted in another forum on this site and didn't really get any responses so this is my last effort before I throw this site to the dogs.
    I had an oxycodone addiction for about 2 years. I have chronic back issues which still exist but so far so good. I went thru detox and the Dr started me on 8 mg suboxone. I have been on these for a little over 2 months and can't stand how they make me feel so I am now weaning off of these. Over the last couple of weeks I have weaned down to about 1/4 To 1/3 of a strip. Having hot flashes and some pretty heavy sweating but dealing with it pretty well. Dr put me on valium to deal with the anxiety which has helped tremendously. I also take lexapro& trazodone for depression.
    I'm getting scared now that I'm almost down to nothing and will soon be skipping days and the FINAL dose!
    Any suggestions or recommendations are very very much appreciated!

Thanks for listening/reading!

Janice ♡

Nanette50 is offline Banned

There's no painless way to withdraw, we have to push thru it. Your doc is giving you sedatives, that's a big help. You been weaning yourself that's great, but I don't think you can replace it with another opiate. Best of luck, and I'm sure others w more experience will chime in.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Hey, Janice. Good to hear from you, I read your other threads. Your problems right not could stem from coming off of the sub too quickly. You need to be deliberate and steady doing this and never, ever, ever drop your dose when you are NOT stable. I am going to assume you are taking 1/4 of an 8mg. strip? Is this correct?I want to point out that subs are an extremely strong opiate, much stronger than the oxycodone you were taking. 8mg. can sometimes make people sick either because of the high dose or the naloxone. Some people simply cannot tolerate the naloxone. That said suboxone is a poor excuse when used for pain relief. Most people just don't get the relief they need anyway. I am thinking you want off these? Right?

This is my advice to you: You cannot be going up and down in dose. If you need help cutting the films google cutting suboxone. I suggest you start either with 3mg. a day, yup that's right cut your strips into 8 pieces. Or you start with 2mg., I'd go for two if that holds you through the day and you feel normal. If not, take a 1mg. piece and we'll start at 3mg. The most important part here is to get you stable at either 2mg. or 3mg. Either way you need to be stable: little to no w/d before you DROP again. So, stay on a consistent dosage until you feel "normal" and we'll work you down from there using Robert's taper plan. You should be at that dose for around 4-5 days.

And I don't care what your doc said you should not be on the valium AND subs plus anti-depressants subs are 10 times stronger than what you were on. Plus, I don't want valium interfering with you getting stable on the suboxone and that is the primary thing here. You need to feel normal without the valium. Let's do this once and do it right.

Peace,

Iloerose
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-11-2014 at 02:37 PM.
    Nanette50 likes this.

mammaj Guest

Thank you! Yes I'm stable at 1/4 of a strip have been at that dose since last a few days ago last two days have been feeling fine. I was going to cut that dose down tomorrow morning. I got my lab report this morning and my level of bupenorphone is 152. So I'm getting there. My anxiety is very high always my entire life ive dealt with anxiety issues before I started this I was taking ativan for a couple years stopped for awhile when I was taking high dose of sub's. The librium did nothing to help and couldn't leave the house without major panic attacks. So she switched me to valium. It's made a huge difference. I've also been advising with my pharmacist on this as well as my Dr.
    But I'm taking it slow. Each time I lower my dose about 4-6 days I feel hot flashes and sweating first two days then feel normal again and stay there for another day or two.

Peace!! Janice ♡

Sharks fan is offline Advanced Member

Mammaj

I posted on your other thread.

Great to hear from you, Janice! I'm going to address the sub first: if you are at 2mg. which is 1/4 of an 8mg. strip, your next step should be to 1.5 mg. If you have more trouble than normal, you can go to 1.75mg. which is a smaller drop, but it often helps some at the 2mg. mark to take the smaller drop. Many people cut the subs with nail scissors and tweezers. Your symptoms sound in the ball park of what can be expected with a drop. As long as you are stable and feeling normal when you do a drop. You sound about right on with the 4-6 days.
    And you are so, so right: as much as people want it to be over, slow and steady will win the race. Here is the taper protocol:
    https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html

Cutting suboxone strips by Harry:

About the ativan: if you quit abruptly when you started the sub, that would put you into benzo w/d and that is not nice, I can bet you had major panic attacks. Dropping a benzo like ativan, xanax, valium c/t should never be done and stopping those is another major hurdle. Abruptly stopping a benzo can give you seizures not to mention increase your anxiety, but that's a whole other can of worms and I'm glad you explained about the valium, as it really does sound like you were experiencing w/d from the ativan.

Keep posting your journey!!

Peace,

Iloerose

PS: It will be very helpful if you keep one thread for your taper. I see Sharksfan posted to you on another thread.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-28-2018 at 11:40 PM.

I see where Sharksfan posted on your thread in the "need to talk" section and she is absolutely correct: be very careful with the amount of medications you are taking. I can give you the advice to taper, but I am not a doctor. Monitor any symptoms very carefully and keep your dr. informed. You should also know that many docs will not put anyone on subs who is taking valium, ativan or any benzo drug. I can understand the hot flashes, but the headache, etc. well, just keep your doc informed of ANY symptoms you feel may be in any way abnormal.

Peace,

Iloerose
    Sharks fan likes this.

mammaj Guest

Well she is the one providing the medications if you choose to doubt that so be it. I can take photos of the medicine bottles with dates names etc. But I don't have the need to prove myself to anyone here.
    I asked for help and I'm being judged by the meds my Dr is prescribing for me?
    Screw it I'm done here!
    I thought this was a support forum not a judgemental one.
    Have a great day/night

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

You are NOT being judged here! It is widely known that most sub docs will not prescribe a benzo while a person is taking subs. Iloerose was simply trying to inform you of that fact.

There's no need to get defensive and angry. We are ALL addicts here and do not presume to judge other addicts. Please understand this. Members try to look out for one another.

If your doc says it's ok, well you have the right to trust him/her.

Please don't let this scare you away.
    Kat

I never said I doubted you and neither did Rose. We both stated we aren't comfortable advising you regarding those meds. None of us are doctors, it would be very reckless for any of us to assume anything.

You said no one was posting on your other thread, we are posting and supporting you. Rose was very supportive and gave you great advice, I really don't see why you are upset. I'm sorry if you felt judged, as Kat said we are all addicts so there is no judgement here.

I wish you the best.

Janice: I'm sorry you took my post the wrong way. I wanted to make clear to you that it's too difficult for us, as sharks said, to tell if your symptoms are sub related or not given the meds you are taking. I did not mean to offend you, but to let you know that you should monitor your symptoms carefully for your own SAFETY. Not judging you or what your doc prescribes. I wish you all the best!

Peace,

Iloerose

mammaj Guest

Hi there & thank you. I got on the defensive end and shouldn't have. I'm a wreck since I'm getting off of this nightmare in a lot of pain again and very emotional. But I do have confidence in my Dr I wish I found her a long time ago I never would be in this spot if I had. She is extremely supportive and didn't hesitate to agree with me when I decided to taper. I was following Kikkers old taper very similar to Roberts even taking it a little slower than written just for my own comfort.
    I realized the heavy sweating and flushing was w/d from a old migraine med I took that had a barbiturates in it not knowing. I do still sweat and flush but not nearly as bad as it was the one time I wrote of it. I can't stand the sub's anymore and can't wait to be off of them.
    As far as the lexapro& trazodone goes I specifically asked about them before starting the oxy w/d and they stated yes I could continue to take them bit was not aware of the contradiction of just the lexapro & trazodone themselves!
    Wow I got freaked out!
    I'm trying to stop the trazodone but can't sleep without it so I broke my dose in half. But can say before all this when I took together never had side effects from taking them together.
    Now for the valium. When detoxing in hospital from oxycodone & ativan they pit me on librium so I wouldn't have seizures. They had me on 3 5 mg caps a day. Then the side effects from that were too much. Twitching rls etc and my very bad anxiety worsened. When I kept complaining she put me on 2 mg valium. 2x a day as needed. I only take at night for sleep unless I get bad panic attacks during day depending on what's going on. I have an extremely stressful life right now.
    My husband has cancer fighting it since 98 successful.
    My elderly mom is ill and not doing well right now in hospital. My son 25 yo is a >>>>>> addict. My daughter and son on law both just lost their jobs. And we are getting ready to move from upstate NY to the jersey shore. Which is a good positive but very stressful till we get our approval letter. It's subsidized housing so pretty big process to go thru.
    As I said in one of my posts my level of the subs was down to 157 I think I got double check. But thrilled I had gotten so low.

mammaj Guest

This page makes me nuts. Jumps all over on me.
    But don't know what to do about my pain. In tears this morning it was so bad.
    I don't want to go back to opiates obviously but motrin Tylenol do nothing and muscle relaxer knocks me out!

But aagain I'm sorry for jumping to wrong conclusion. But as I said I do nothing or take nothing without speaking with my Dr. I have full confidence in her. She's the director of 2 rehab in the area and so many ppl love her it's very hard to get in with her. New patients can't get in for months.and I just happened to get lucky when going in for emergency visit on a Saturday that she was covering.
    Have to get ready to take our dog to vet. Will be back later.

Thank you everyone.

Janice ♡

It's good to see you came back. I can understand having those emotional highs and lows...it's par for the course. I'm sorry to hear about your husband's cancer and son's addiction. That's gotta be really tough to deal with.

It's good that you have a doc who specializes in addiction. I wish I did!

Hope you have a good day.
    Kat

I'm also glad you didn't leave, it sounds like you have a lot going on. This is a great place to vent.

It's normal to be emotional when you're coming off drugs, in your case you have a lot of other things going on. Hopefully things will start to settle down for you.

Janice, this is your thread and you can write what you need to: vent, talk, whatever. I don't take things personally, we've all been on that emotional journey and it's so hard when you are in pain. It is great to know that you have a good doc taking care of you! I was worried you would leave, you should feel welcomed and comfortable here. It is a great place to vent and you can watch your own journey through all of this. I really hope you feel better today. Did you drop from the 2mg.?

Peace to you: Iloerose

mammaj Guest

I'm going to drop tomorrow!
    Wasn't feeling that great today and wasn't sure but guess it's a bug that my daughter and son in law was feeling yesterday. Woke up dizzy and upset stomach. Ugh sometimes I think the subs make it worse.
    So I held off. But Def tomorrow will be cutting that in half.
    I don't have sweats or hot flashes till I take it in the morning and I hate the feeling but gives me motivation to keep moving along to get off of it!
    Falling a

mammaj Guest

Falling asleep is becoming an issue but once I do I sleep well. Which is making it difficult stopping the trazodone.
    I'll get there one day at a time!

mammaj Guest

Sorry page keeps jumping on me and won't restart where I left off hence the constant new posts!
    Has anyone else dealt with the hot flashes flushidg and sweating after taking the suboxone?
    And if so when will it go away? It's not just the w/d I've been feeling that since I've started this garbage!

I hate that!! Yep, it happens to me too. I'm never quite sure if it's part of the taper/WD process or just the subs making me all sweaty. So disgusting. It makes me feel anxious when it starts happening. My hubby's always joking with me about how many showers I take..lol.

I can't remember where, but I read that subs can have that effect. Sucks.
    Kat

mammaj Guest

Oh I hate it too. In the beginning I was ready to run to the Dr and demand my premarin for my menopause that I haven't felt in a couple years (full hysterectomy).
    But then also read too it was probably subs.
    Yeah I could shower 3 x a day! It's gross I hate it etc!
    At least I'm not that crazy.

Harrysmooth had some bad hot flashes, his thread is probably buried now a few pages back since he doesn't post much anymore. He had to use a hair dryer to dry his sheets one night. I think some of us just react differently to subs. It got better for me when I got down under 2mg

alexnt is offline Platinum Member

Janice I was just looking over your thread and it looks to me you are at 2 mg and maybe I read it wrong but are you planning on dropping from 2 mg to 1 mg ? If your at 2 mg you should go to 1.5. I see where you take trazadone and I have taken it for about 10 years myself for insomnia. Best wishes to you and will talk to you later.

Alex
    iloerose likes this.

mammaj Guest

Thanks Alex I already did my cut before I saw this. I hate to go back so will deal with the sweats etc if they come and wait a few extra days before jumping again.
    Today has been awful.... I just don't know what to do about my back pain. I'm take motrin 800 Tylenol in between that a muscle relaxer Only when desperate.
    Been stretching hot showers mineral ice etc. In tears all morning.
    Mostly crying because I don't know what to do! I DON'T WANT TO TAKE PAIN MEDS!
    but also very confused mentioned it to my husband.
    Suboxone is an opiate. So they replaced my oxycodone opiate with a stronger one. The pain med in it Naloxone is a narcotic! So how do people with true Chronic pain are supposed to do?
    My issue with the oxycodone was my tolerance to such a high dose. I hated being si dependent

mammaj Guest

Dependent on it and my dosage could not go higher!
    As I said previously I chose to try this when offered for pain management.
    Where do I turn? Is there a non opiate medicine out there that will relieve my pain?
    I can't take it!

Bupenorphine is the opioid in the sub. Naloxone is a narcotic that blunts the effect of other narcotics. I have no idea why docs think that this medication is safer for pain, as it does not seem to work well as a pain-killer. That is just anecdotal information, although I hear more docs are prescribing it for chronic pain as it doesn't make you high, but you still can become addicted to the sub, just like they put people on methadone, I hope your doc doesn't suggest that, IMO, very bad idea. Both sub and meth have long half lives and can be difficult to deal with, but subs much less so than methadone. I do not know what happened to your back or what your diagnosis is, but some have tried holistic ways to deal with the pain, one thing people recommend is a TENS unit, never had any experience with that, only anecdotal. One more thing, it seems that when you first go off of opiates, or are going off your pain intensifies, many report that after the w/d period and as their bodies own chemistry heals, that the pain is much less. There is a site called surviving chronic pain, where you might pick up some ideas for your situation. Homeopathic medicine, perhaps? Again, I do not know your situation, but I feel for you.
    I think you will feel better if you stick to the .25% cuts. I also thought I read where you are trying to taper another medicine? I think, if I were you, I'd stick to one at a time. But please stick to the .25% cuts and that way you'll cut down on symptoms from subs.

Keep posting, even in many little posts You'll figure that out. Vent here. Don't let anyone make you feel like you cannot say what is on your mind!!! Hang tough,

Peace,

Iloerose

mammaj Guest

Thank you Rose! I have several herniated a bulging disc's all through my spine. Scoliosis since a child which they seem to think is what caused some of it and accidents and falls added to it.
    I'm going to look into several routes. Right now I'm working on the physicual therapy that I was taught last year when I had insurance. Got cut off since we supposedly made too much money! Ha! That w as s a good one.
    I cut back to half a trazodone at night. So really not w/d from that to much. I've stopped taking it at times before this with no effect.

mammaj Guest

Cut it short last night. Went out for our anniversary dinner.
    But slept well last night for a change except for waking up last night once or twice soaking wet. Ugh.
    But feeling better today pain not nearly as bad as yesterday. Gotta keep myself motivated to keep the pain away.
    Got some running around to do today. Going to pick up moving boxes to start the joy of packing. NOT!
    Hope everyone has a wonderful day
    iloerose likes this.

Know how that packing stuff goes. Man, I hate to move! The longer you are somewhere the more stuff you accumulate and that is too true for me. My ex moved 1000 miles away and left me with a bunch of stuff from our old house. I keep saying I'm going to go through it and just get rid of stuff. I don't even care about doing a rummage sale and making money off of it: just want it gone! But first I have to get the motivation to sort it, LOL.
    Glad you are doing alright! Stick to the .25% drops and this will help you when you really start to get lower. The time to adjust will be quicker and the symptoms between will be less. You will be off of this stuff in no time! Take it slow and steady! Hope you had a great day: sun shining here, but cold and will be colder tomorrow!

Peace,

Iloerose

mammaj Guest

Same here gorgeous today was in a small historical town today in Cold Spring NY. Beautiful day 55 degrees sun & breeze. Tomorrow will be 35. Greer spring needs to stay! Had a few hot flashes today 2 to 3. Bearable! Anxiety at a minimum. Only taking one dose of the valium instead of being written for x2 a day. And that has really helped and helps me sleep too. Had a few body aches but nothing major. Sitting in a car for hours 11-5 :/
    Doesn't help the back. Going to lay on the hard floor for a half hour! Helps!
    We are going from a 2 bedroom ranch with full basement to a small 1 bedroom apartment! I've got all my holiday decision bins of clothes old paperwork and memoir stuff from my kids growing up and nowhere to put it. I can hear the battle already! Lol lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast