• 3 Post By alexnt
  • 2 Post By whatsinaname
  • 2 Post By whatsinaname
  • 2 Post By staysober10
  • 1 Post By alexnt
  • 2 Post By staysober10
  • 1 Post By alexnt
  • 2 Post By staysober10
Been on 16mg for several months, need help getting off!
    staysober10 is offline Senior Member

Default Been on 16mg for several months, need help getting off!

Greetings.

Hope everyone is doing well. I'm no stranger to these boards but I haven't posted in a year. I have been on 16mg of subs for several months and I want to get off. I don't want to be taking subs anymore, I want to live life sober and clear headed. I read the 25% taper method and plan to follow. I go to the sub doctor later on today and will be getting 60 strips. I want this to be the last script I fill. My question is can I jump down to somewhere between 4, 6, or 8 mg and start the taper from there or is that too much of a jump? I have another thread going under 'need to talk' and its titled 'I'd like my life back' but I wanted to post this on this part of the forum as well since its all about suboxone.

I would really appreciate someones help on this, I want to get off this medication.

-SS

whatsinaname is offline Platinum Member

Hi SS,

I understand the desire to do things as quickly as possible.... I would reccomend sticking to the 25% drops. Its tried and true!! If you do this right the first time, you dont ever have to do it again. Slow and steady wins the race. It will go much faster than you realize right now. Keep posting your progress and let us know how you are doing. We will help as much as we can.

Quote Originally Posted by whatsinaname View Post
    Hi SS,

I understand the desire to do things as quickly as possible.... I would reccomend sticking to the 25% drops. Its tried and true!! If you do this right the first time, you dont ever have to do it again. Slow and steady wins the race. It will go much faster than you realize right now. Keep posting your progress and let us know how you are doing. We will help as much as we can.
    Whatsinaname,

I'm getting a refill of 60 strips today. I don't want to ever go back to the doc after today so I just want to make sure 60 strips will be enough if I stay at 16mg for another 4 days and taper down by 25%. I just want to make sure ill have enough if I stay at the dosage I'm at
    whatsinaname likes this.

trmin8ter27 is offline Member

hey ss congrats on wanting to get totally clean ! I am assuming u get 8.4 mg strips. I wud imagine it would be enuf, cuz u take 60 every 30 days, but u will be cutting them quite a lot once u start tapering, I think u will be fine, are u planning on telling ur doc?? cuz maybe, just in case ur are not quite done with ur taper, and have to go back one more time u can tell him to give u just enuf to finish ur taper and by then u should have it calculated and figured out, just a thought, and good luck, I am finishing a taper myself right now Im at 1.25mg right now and 2moro I go to 1mg, so good luck to u !! u can do this !!!

systolic_suckerpunch is offline Senior Member

If you've been on 16mg for months, just drop to 12 and begin your taper there. I'm not any good at math but I feel like you'll probably need at least one more visit to have enough to finish. Just don't tell the dr you're tapering so that you continue to get 60 strips.

But yeah, no need to wait 4 days if you've been at 16mg for a while. You can make your first 25% drop to 12 mg tomorrow.

Good luck,

the other SS =)
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

alexnt is offline Platinum Member

stay if you have been on 16 mg for several months i think you maybe should just follow the 25% drop. Since you have been on 16 mg for months you dont need to remain there for 4 days before dropping. You can go right to 12 mg starting tomorrow. You might be able to reduce more then 25% and be ok but why take the chance. Best wishes to you.

Alex

Hey everyone, thanks for all the advice. Yesterday(2-6-14) I only dosed 4mg in the morning and 4mg at night and I was fine. I hope I can be okay on this dose.
    I forgot to mention from Jan 28 through feb 4th, I used only Norcos because I wanted to get off the subs so bad but I just got sick after I ran out so I went back on subs again. Does taking that week off subs help out at all where I can just do a few mg of sub a day instead of that huge amount I was doing?

I really appreciate everyone's help, I want to get off this so darn bad.

-ss

Quote Originally Posted by staysober10 View Post
    Hey everyone, thanks for all the advice. Yesterday(2-6-14) I only dosed 4mg in the morning and 4mg at night and I was fine. I hope I can be okay on this dose.
    I forgot to mention from Jan 28 through feb 4th, I used only Norcos because I wanted to get off the subs so bad but I just got sick after I ran out so I went back on subs again. Does taking that week off subs help out at all where I can just do a few mg of sub a day instead of that huge amount I was doing?

I really appreciate everyone's help, I want to get off this so darn bad.

-ss
    Hey SS,

Just remember with the long half life of subs, you may feel fine for a couple days and then some symptoms may hit. That is why we reccoment 25% drops every 4 or so days, to account for the half life....... You may be totally fine at the 8mg. Im not trying to scare you. Just have seen many people drop too fast, and it spelled trouble through their entire taper.

Hey SS,

Just remember with the long half life of subs, you may feel fine for a couple days and then some symptoms may hit. That is why we reccoment 25% drops every 4 or so days, to account for the half life....... You may be totally fine at the 8mg. Im not trying to scare you. Just have seen many people drop too fast, and it spelled trouble through their entire taper.
    I understand, hopefully I'll be okay on 8mg total a day, we shall see I guess.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Be careful about dropping too suddenly. Subs have a long long half life, and you may not feel it for a few days. You do not want to keep putting yourself in a state of w/d and feel then that you need to go back up. Slow and steady wins this race. Great that you are so willing to run this one!

As someone I know once said: Go hard!!!

Peace,

Iloerose

Thank you iloerose. So what do you suggest I do, I just got 60 strips and I want them to be the last 60 strips I would ever need. I only did 8 mg yesterday and was fine. Today I did 4mg in the AM so far and thats it and I feel fine. I just desperately want to know where to start at so I can begin the 25% reduction.

Ok, we are offering suggestions based on what wet know works. I did subs, my last sub dose was may 29th. I'm worried that youare asking questions but not following our advise.Going from 16, 8,4 in three days. As I previously stated, subs have a long half life so it can take a few days to really feel any WD.

Please listen to us. We have been there and are only trying to set you up for success. I would stay at the 8mgfor at least 4 days and then do the 25% drops from there.

It was Rose who told me in the beginning do this right do it once.

Ok, we are offering suggestions based on what wet know works. I did subs, my last sub dose was may 29th. I'm worried that youare asking questions but not following our advise.Going from 16, 8,4 in three days. As I previously stated, subs have a long half life so it can take a few days to really feel any WD.

Please listen to us. We have been there and are only trying to set you up for success. I would stay at the 8mgfor at least 4 days and then do the 25% drops from there.

It was Rose who told me in the beginning do this right do it once.
    whatsinaname,

Your right. I just read somewhere that if you are on a high dose you can do a pretty decent reduction and not feeling anything so thought I can do it it. But you are the success story and I am the one trying to get to the other side. So I will stick to 8mg for 4 days.
    alexnt and whatsinaname like this.

Good Morning,

I decided that I am going to keep a journal of my taper off of suboxone. Hopefully the people that have been posting on this thread continue to assist me, I really appreciate your advice.

Today is day 3 of taking only 8mg total. I dosed this morning at 745am and took 4mg and will do the same this evening.

So far I feel fine, before these last few days I took a week off suboxone and did norcos but when I was on the suboxone it was always 16mg a day. So hopefully the jump I made from 16 to 8 doesnt end up biting me in the rear!!

I will be on and off throughout the day, gotta go to work later.

stay glad to see you took whats advise and decided to stay at 8 mg for the time being. You mentioned you hope dropping from 16 to 8 after using Norco doesn't come back and bite you in the butt. You might want to consider staying on 8 mg for an extra day or 2 just in case. The last thing you need is for the taper to backfire on you at this stage. Just a suggestion that i thought i would pass along to you. Good idea on keeping a journal of this also. Will talk with you later.

Alex
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

Thanks Alex, I appreciate your advice. Nice to know someone is out there reading and taking the time to reply.

Today is DAY 4 of being on 8mg total. I dosed 4mg at 940am and will do the same this evening. I have been feeling fine, and I am grateful for that.

I thought I was going to drop 25% tomorrow and start taking 6mg total a day but I am going to listen to my body and see if I need to stay on 8mg for another couple days or not. Like Alex said, I would hate for this to backfire!
    Iwantoff2013 and alexnt like this.

Thanks Alex, I appreciate your advice. Nice to know someone is out there reading and taking the time to reply.

Today is DAY 4 of being on 8mg total. I dosed 4mg at 940am and will do the same this evening. I have been feeling fine, and I am grateful for that.

I thought I was going to drop 25% tomorrow and start taking 6mg total a day but I am going to listen to my body and see if I need to stay on 8mg for another couple days or not. Like Alex said, I would hate for this to backfire!
    Stay if you feel completely stable tomorrow you could drop to 6 mg and see how it goes. If you started feeling bad you could just take another 2 mg and hang at 8 mg for a couple more days. Just listen to your body. I only mentioned staying at 8 for a couple extra days because of concerns of the taper backfiring on you right off the bat. If you feel fine in the morning then it would appear you are stable. I remember when i first started lurking here after i had already started tapering and reading about the taper plan. It said do it right and you will only have to do it once. 14 months later i am happy to say it is so true. Talk with you later.

Alex
    staysober10 likes this.

Today is the day I reduce by 25%, I have been on 8mg total the last four days. I am going down to 6mg total for the next four days. I dosed 3mg this morning and will dose another 3mg this evening. So far I feel fine, which is probably because there is a lot of suboxone still in my system. But it was only a couple weeks ago I was doing 16mg a day!

Its funny, ever since I began to lower my dose my appetite has been coming back, it seems like I feel more better on a lower dose then a larger one(mentally,physically).

For people that dosed twice a day on the taper, was it 6,8, or 12 hours apart?

Today is the day I reduce by 25%, I have been on 8mg total the last four days. I am going down to 6mg total for the next four days. I dosed 3mg this morning and will dose another 3mg this evening. So far I feel fine, which is probably because there is a lot of suboxone still in my system. But it was only a couple weeks ago I was doing 16mg a day!

Its funny, ever since I began to lower my dose my appetite has been coming back, it seems like I feel more better on a lower dose then a larger one(mentally,physically).

For people that dosed twice a day on the taper, was it 6,8, or 12 hours apart?
    Stay I only dosed once a day myself during my 4 months of sub use. With the long half life I don't think it really matters how many hours between 6 and 12 you decide on. Seems like most threads I have followed where the person was dosing 2 times a day it was usually 8 to 10 hrs apart. You say you are feeling better at a lower dose and it shows the saying less is best when it comes to subs is true. Hope day 1 at 6 mg went well and I will talk to you later.

Alex

Good Morning Alex/Everybody

Thanks Alex, I thought about dosing once a day but have not done it yet. Anyways, I felt fine yesterday being on 6mg total all day.
    Today is day two of being on 6mg total, and thank god so far so good.
    Hope this thread is helping someone out there think about tapering if they are nervous about it and on a high dose. It's not bad so far but I'm sure the true test comes towards the end of the taper.

Hello Friends,

Today is day three of being on 6mg total. So far so good!!
    Iwantoff2013 and alexnt like this.

trmin8ter27 is offline Member

hey ss,
    just popping in to say and I hope things went well today for you as you continue down the orange taper brick road !!! thanks for the kind words on my taper it's amazing how any little or big posts you get makes ur day a little brighter and your determination to be clean that much stronger !!! Just keep ur eye on the prize "sobriety" it's like your Rocky running up and down those concrete steps in the freezing cold and the day you totally jump from subs will be the day your jumping up and down at top punching ur hands in the air in total success !!! Picture that every time you drop, and how much closer you are to being there !! Good luck SS. YOU CAN DO IT !!
    Trm27

Stay just dropping by to see how the taper is going. I hadn't been online since Monday night and it looks like you are doing well. i don't know if your still at 6 mg or not but will check tomorrow to see if you have posted.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by alexnt View Post
    Stay just dropping by to see how the taper is going. I hadn't been online since Monday night and it looks like you are doing well. i don't know if your still at 6 mg or not but will check tomorrow to see if you have posted.

Alex
    Hey Alex,

I've been mainly posting under the "need to talk" forum, threads called ">> like my life back." So most of the info is on there. But anyways, yesterday I dropped to 4mg total a day and I feel great! Thanks for checking in!

Rubyjewells is offline New Member

I hope someone can help me also ! I'm new here and just got off oxy ! I was on it by a doctor for 8 years ! He passed away and I found new doctor ! He put me on subs because I wanted off the oxy ! I've been on suboxone for 9 days but I do not want to be on it long so I would appreciate any replies from anyone ! I want to get off it ASAP ! I don't like it at all ! I'm having bad hot cold sweats on this and I don't know if I'm still Wd off the Oxys or if these are from the subs ! I go back to my doctor on Monday so I still have 5 days to ask him all this ! Since I was out of Oxys for 3 days and had nothing then went to new doctor who said he'd put me on the suboxone could this be why I still have the sweats. ? I don't like this suboxone at all ! The strips taste like >>>> !! I take them 3 times a day and I just want off them and never want to take an opiate again ! I'm not sure how this board works and I'm not sure if anyone will reply ?? I'm still very weak and I'm worried these subs are not working properly ?? Any advice would be appreciated !! thanks so much

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyjewells View Post
    I hope someone can help me also ! I'm new here and just got off oxy ! I was on it by a doctor for 8 years ! He passed away and I found new doctor ! He put me on subs because I wanted off the oxy ! I've been on suboxone for 9 days but I do not want to be on it long so I would appreciate any replies from anyone ! I want to get off it ASAP ! I don't like it at all ! I'm having bad hot cold sweats on this and I don't know if I'm still Wd off the Oxys or if these are from the subs ! I go back to my doctor on Monday so I still have 5 days to ask him all this ! Since I was out of Oxys for 3 days and had nothing then went to new doctor who said he'd put me on the suboxone could this be why I still have the sweats. ? I don't like this suboxone at all ! The strips taste like >>>> !! I take them 3 times a day and I just want off them and never want to take an opiate again ! I'm not sure how this board works and I'm not sure if anyone will reply ?? I'm still very weak and I'm worried these subs are not working properly ?? Any advice would be appreciated !! thanks so much
    Hi, and welcome. First, I would recommend that you start your own thread here on the Suboxone board. Just go to the top of the page and click on "start a new thread". You will get a lot more replies that way since people will be able to reply to you directly.

To answer your question: Waiting 3 days between oxy and subs is NOT the reason you feel bad. What dose of sub are you taking? I would be willing to bet your sub dose is way too high and that's why you don't feel good.

It's really good that you've only been on sub for 9 days. There is a fantastic taper plan that we use to get off subs. It's very easy to follow. It's here on this site -- it was written by a retired member, Robert_325. If you can't find it, I will post the link for you.

Let me know how many mgs of sub you are taking per day and we'll go from there.

Kat