Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree2523Likes
Couple quick questions hoping experts can answer
    UncleLeo is offline Advanced Member

Default Couple quick questions hoping experts can answer

First off - I have to say I'm both amazed at how strong the people on here are. Tapering while holding down a job, a marriage, and kids!? People have NO CLUE how hard subox is to get off of but you guys prove it's possible so kudos. Amazing.

Noticed a couple things related to side effects was hopin for help on. One - was a reference to "appetite" coming back (ie libido). Been on sub for 9 months - first 6 maintenance, past few slow taper. (so from 16mg to 6mg). From what I've read this should have been a piece of cake but it has been anything but...(finding a general brain slowdown type thing - not sure if anyone else has experienced that? like just having a hard time functioning). So wondering if that gets better? Does the sex drive come back around 1-2mg? Have noticed it already a bit coming back from 16 to 6 so hoping someone has some advice. Lastly, the food references - was never a "sweets" person until sub. Then ice cream and angel food cake became my best friends! Yikes! Any and ALL advice, words, is appreciated. Like a lot of you here, man this (my life) is a LONELY place to be.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Hi there.
    I jumped from 0.125mg about 8 months ago.
    TBH 6 mg is still a big dose of sub.
    Less is more with this drug.
    I felt my best at 1-2 mg
    Better all the way around .
    99% of people on here agree.
    Most of us plus many more use the taper on the sticky at the top of the suboxone board.
    I think you are having such a hard time because your dosages have been so high.
    Most sub Drs don't have a clue
    And want you to stay on at high doses.
    True $ pit for them.
    We used that taper
    The Thomas Receipe on here
    For supplements that help the brain to heal from opiate use and abuse.
    I can post them for you if you like.
    I think you could go to 4.5 mg tomorrow if you are stable at 6 mg
    Stable means little to no withdrawals.
    It is hard to tell if the issues you are having are withdrawals or too high of a dose..
    I would say too high of a dose..
    You could try it for at least 5 days
    Then I bet you will start to feel " more alive" when your dose gets to 3 mg and below.

How many times a day are you dosing?
    2 x is ideal
    Until 1 mg then 1 x a day.
    It is very important to take the sub at the same time or times a day..
    I am home today and will check in later for an update from you .
    I am sure others will come along to chime in.
    This is a great! Place for suboxone experience and support..
    Lots of success here!
    Take care
    Bette
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-03-2015 at 03:32 PM.
    de88ied likes this.

Thanks Bette. Yeah, like so many of us, I was pretty clueless as to how strong this "medicine" from Walgreens et al could be. It really turns everything you knew or thought you knew upside down. I actually felt a lot better and more stable at 16 tbh. And like a lot of people had to be to one to convince my doc to please help me get off this medicine, which I'm just not really used to doing. My whole life was more "they're the doctor, not me, do as told." So it's been a battle on multiple fronts. I just went down to 6 this week, hoping to stabilize for a week then 4 and on.

Also - anyone noticed they don't need quite so much excessive sleep on lower dosages? I was always a natural early riser before sub, no alarm, no struggle to rouse. Now....waking up is like "oh no, still living this nightmare." So hoping
    sleep, sweets, sex drive....thanks everyone. Especially that guy that jumped from 24! Wow. Hope he's doin well...

I forgot to tell u something I just discovered 8 months clean..
    I was not really ever that tired on higher doses of sub.
    I only started feeling it toward the end of my taper and after I jumped.
    One day..
    It just dawned on me..
    Tired is a feeling and I was basically numb on sub..
    I didn't feel tired..
    When I feel tired now
    I know it is my body's way of telling me to rest..
    It is nice to feel again..
    Laughing
    Sex
    Chocolate
    Sense of accomplishment
    Exercise
    All the " normie" ways get our endorphins ( our natural feel good chemicals) flowing again.
    So as they say
    As
    Act as if you
    Till you really want to do them..
    Then one day soon you will..
    We all need our natural feel good chemicals again..
    We stopped them from flowing on these opiates..
    Hope this helps
    Bette
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-03-2015 at 07:28 PM.

wasabisabi is offline Member

Just want to wish you the best Uncle Leo. You are in good hands here.

I, like Bette, really felt best on low doses. I know what you mean about the foggy brain - I felt way more alert the lower I got. And am enjoying mornings again. Either way, you'll definitely experience changes in libido, sleep, appetite, mood, concentration etc etc as you decrease further. They will come and go, depending on where you are at and other factors. Learn to embrace them - helps to remind you you're alive and fighting and DOING THIS

take your time, listen to your body for your reductions.

Good luck!
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Wow thank you so much wasabi! It is SO nice to have someone that can relate to these different feelings like that "foggy brain." It's been very weird just kind of watching my brain slowly adjust, both in "normal" type brain stuff - like misspelling words, forgetting how to spell words has been prob one of the most bizarre for me.

And then adjusting to the "feelings" part, exhaustion, mood swings, anxiety and depression. I'm gonna have to get an alarm clock I think finally. Didn't need to be up for anything in particular this morning so I just let myself sleep in "a bit" which turned in to being 11:30am, and I could have slept more! Sleeping in so late like that, even if it's a weekend, just makes me feel >>>>>>, like I wasted the day....so it was so good to see your response Wasabi. Thank you. I'm gonna try to stay hopeful and keep pushing
    Iluv2smile, wasabisabi and de88ied like this.

Hi there.
    Getting up early even if you get up on a different side of the bed.
    That is I had to do change all those behaviors .
    I used to take my pills in bed wait for them to work.
    Then get up.
    Now changed my room around get right up in the am.
    It is part of creating this new life.
    Now only do our brains have memory
    Our bodies do too.
    Anything to get the farthest away from that previous routine will help..
    It is kinda cool..
    Now is the time we can recreate our selves and our routines!
    May be difficult!
    But not impossible..
    Taking pills became difficult with no real reward!
    The reward now is freedom!
    Go 4 it!
    You are doing great.

Thank you for sharing your journey!
    Bette

Thanks Bette I forced myself up this morning...was not too easy. And so bizarre after sleeping 10 hours! The sweet tooth has been getting me late at night when i'm almost like semi-awake...looking forward to losing that one and the extra lbs this whole thing has wrought. I at least feel like there is finally some hope having seen all these successes here. I had that David Foster Wallace ending in my head for a while as the only ending I could see...was too afraid to even go see the new movie about him...but everyone on here has brought me some hope
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Look at you, getting out of bed n'all You have to forgive me, I have a somewhat sarcastic sense of humour

I always find with sugar that the more I eat it the more I crave it, and the reverse is also true: the more vegies and good stuff I eat, the more I crave it. You can retrain your brain/body like Bette said. And it is really cool and satisfying. For most of us, it's about changing habits that have formed over years. But it can be done, and it feels great! Seeing as you've been on subs for less than a year (not sure what, if anything, you were taking before that and for how long), I'd suspect that your brain/body memory will kick in to good habits quite quickly if you make the effort. Which you are. Now...get out for a run or a walk

You have so much to look forward to. So glad you have hope. That hope will become conviction the further you go - hurdles aside. Trust me.

Just don't rush this. Best advice I can give. You'll suffer if you do (I learned the hard way, of course!).

Thanks for your lovely words on my thread
    Iluv2smile and de88ied like this.

SouthenStyle is offline New Member

For me, the appetite and sex drive came back when I dropped to either 1.5 or 1 mg. As for the foggy head, during my taper, that came and went as I stabilized. The first few days of each taper I had a hard time concentrating, but when I stabilized on each dose, the fog cleared, until I got below .75mg.

Tapering off this stuff is no cake walk, but if done correctly, it's not that bad either. I jumped during the last week of August and made it through, after a two-month taper, so you can make it to the end too.

[deleted - swearing]
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-09-2015 at 02:07 PM.

How are you feeling today? I hope the deleted post is not an indication

Ohhh shoot! Did not know we couldn't do that, whoops. I don't think I even said anything that harsh...was just expressing some frustration I think. Feeling a little better today. We've been in a heat wave (over 100 day and night every day) and it's worn me down. But finally got some sleep last night so feeling a bit better. I think my "swear" was when I had to swallow my whole dose right after sticking it to my tongue. Still not quite sure what that does...I don't think much is absorbed when you swallow right away with the strip version.

Anyway...gotta fight on. Gotta believe I can do this

Yes you can..
    It is very hot here too..
    So California..

Wears me out too..
    You are going to be ok..
    Give yourself a break..
    We did not get here overnight..
    Yes I don't think swallowing the film does much..
    Are you feeling better now as your dose gets lower?
    Take care
    Bette

Yep, you have to believe. You can do it.

I was talking to a friend of mine - who has also been on subs for over a decade - and she was absolutely amazed that I'd got this far, like she didn't think it was possible. She was effusively telling me I am amazing, incredible etc etc. Nup. Not in the least. I am a wuss when it comes to withdrawals. Nothing special about me. It's all commitment, positive thinking, some self-belief, and of course a lot of help and cheering from my friends on this site. Thousands before me have done it, many in much more difficult circumstances. If those who make it to the other side are special in some way, it doesn't leave much hope for everyone else, right?

So yes, you have to believe UncleLeo. But please don't swallow your dose...! That ain't gonna help you too much
    What dose are you on now?

Well it's not like I purposely swallowed my dose! Wha do you do when someone is banging on your door and you have to open it and talk to them? But just gotta pick yourself back up and keep going. I just went down to 4.5 and will need to stabilize and see how I feel. (I know I know it's 4.5 but when you were at 16 it's still quite a bit down). Will see how I feel next few days, have had just not a lot of energy, but just gotta keep going...at some point it will get better
    wasabisabi likes this.

4.5 is great! You are nearly 75% down from your original dose! Celebrate the achievements UncleLeo. And keep your sense of humour going. It's great to see

Have you run 10 miles yet today?
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Pixiepoxie is offline Senior Member

UncleLeo,

Nice to see your down to 4.5, that is great! I started at 12mg and quickly went to 8mg then stayed at 8 for at least a year. I went very easily from 8 to 6 to 4 etc....finally got to 2mg mid July this year. I made a mistake (had not found this forum) and dropped from 1 mg straight to .5 when I should have went to .75 and stabilized first. So today (yesterday now) I went back to .75 and going to get stable and keep on keeping on! Take care and it will get better!
    As I always say,
    Forward and Onward Troops!

That's great Pixie! If there's one really huge thing I've learned through this community - it's probably the idea of reduce by 25% then stabilize, stabilize, stabilize. If it takes longer or shorter, it's ok, don't fret, don't beat yourself up, don't let it break you. Just settle in to it and wait for it to come. Since we're all so different, one man or woman's 3 days is another's 3 weeks. Who am I to judge? There is really only ONE person who knows how you feel - you! Not some doctor or god forbid a Judge! And also very good wisdom is "if you go lower before you're ready, those symptoms will follow you all the way through." Not quite sure who figured that out for all of us, but bless them.

On another note, we've all kind of discussed the importance of eat/sleep/exercise and the benefits of this. But just kind of digging deeper, on the subject of actually living your life through the taper, I am still honestly a bit confused about how much "extra stuff" is a good thing to take on >>. perhaps something to hold off on until that elusive "normal" feeling we all long for. For a lot of people here I know it is thought about, "I don't want to bring my child into this world until I'm off subs" or "I want to start this new job" or "move in to my new house." I admit for myself generally erring on the side of caution - taking on a big new project and then just not being able to get out of bed sometimes - damn that scares me....anyone else thing about these things? And have a "theory" or "strategy"? (ohh and Bec it's been raining here so waitin for the storm to pass for my run! ha)
    anxiousmother and wasabisabi like this.

itsover is offline Member

hi there! I'm on a sub taper.. down to .5 but tomorrow I will go lower. I have to look, I think it's .375? idk, bad at math plus I have the tablets so its kind of a pain. I agree with the others, I felt my best at 1mg - 2mg tops. I've never needed anymore except to "want to FEEL more". I still have ZERO sex drive. I do have an appetite though! Oh well, its all good. I just wanted to stop by n say hello n show some support....

I don't know UncleLeo. Fake it til you make it? I reckon it's a constant juggle. But life is always a constant juggle. Opiates or no opiates, withdrawal or no withdrawal etc. For me, I think a semblance of routine helps me in recovery. But I also need change and a challenge. It's a balance between feeling secure and stable and stepping out of your comfort zone a bit.
    I was putting of my sub taper until after I had finished studying. But then I realised I was ready and so I needed to go for it. It hasn't been easy trying to work 6 days a week while tapering - my motivation is shocking at times - but I just take it as it comes.

Maybe start small. Get some runs on the board, build confidence, and then take on some bigger projects?
    Kitteh likes this.

Hey UncleLeo / Mrs Doubtfire,

I just saw your post on Poppy Girl's thread and you sounded a bit fed up (understandable), so I'm here to give you a shout out. You're on, what, day 3 of your new dose? I found days 2 and 3 were where I would feel it a bit. The exhaustion, lack of motivation etc. Plus you lost most of your dose the other day...
    You should feel better tomorrow. I hope you're just having a relaxing evening and that you get a good sleep tonight and feel renewed in the morning.

Stay strong, you're doing great!

Thanks Bec...yeah I struggling pretty badly past couple days. Just in a lot of weird lethargic aches and pains and am just struggling do even do any of the little things (eat right, exercise, handle the various stresses of work). Thank you for noticing tho, that makes me feel better. I try not to be a downer, some days are just....sippin my coffee now, prayin for energy...

UncleLeo,

How you doing? Can you give us a quick update. Thinking about you. I've been really dragging and lethargic too, guess it is just part of it. What gives me hope, is reading others posts who have pushed on past this point in the taper and have gotten some "better" days. You are doing going, keep on goin!

Thanks for writing Pixie, I definitely hear ya on the dragging and lethargy - had a mostly positive weekend, where I was able to get good sleep and some decent exercise. Unfortunately - and I think other people have touched on this with subs- so I accidentally bit down on a metal fork (like full force kinda half asleep bite chicken) and by bottom front teeth - ouch! Serious serious pain and both loosened a bit and was relegated to smoothies for a couple days. But I'm pretty sure part of that is the sub weakening your teeth...but luckily after a couple days they are steadying. But be careful with your teeth everyone!

I have to say, I have had a few spots or moments, of actually feeling like a somewhat normal regular human being. They dont' always last that long, and I don't have too many productive hours on any given day (every day is diff) but when I am feeling ok, I try to get as much done as possible because I don't know when that feeling will return. One last fun thing to mention, still getting "backed up" so to speak, fiber doesn't seem to help me...any other things that have worked for people, thanks!

How are you feelin pix?
    Pixiepoxie likes this.

Ouch! That made me cringe.

Sorry you're struggling a bit. Are you still on the 4.5mg? You should be well and truly stabilised on that now.... Overall, you sound like you're doing really well UncleLeo. Truly! I learnt to 'just go with it' during my taper. The ups are great and the downs... well, obviously. Just ride it like a rollercoaster (at least with a roller coaster you can see what's coming though!).

As far as the toilet issue. I would find that I once I stabilised on a new dose I would get backed up again. Sorry to state the obvious, but are you drinking loads of water? Like at least 2 litres a day? (DIY metric to imperial conversion ) Fibre isn't much good if there isn't enough liquid to wash it down! And you need both soluble and insoluble fibre too. Have you tried eating corn on the cob? Wash it down with prune juice.
    Pixiepoxie likes this.

UncleLeo,

Interesting about the teeth...I guess I have missed the other posts regarding issues with teeth. I do find this very interesting as I have had to have more root canals and crowns in the last year than I care to remember! In fact, I have one tooth that is scheduled for getting a crown in the next week or so.

So happy to hear that you have felt moments of feeling "normal". That is encouraging. I think that is one of the hardest things, keeping faith, that someday in the future I will ever feel "normal" or "good" again. I just keep trying to have faith and believe that it has to get better than this. I'm feeling about as stable as I think I'm going to on the .75mg and am considering a drop soon. I think I'm going to go somewhere between .75 and .5mg. Going to give it another few days, I will know when the time is right and i will drop. I have to admit I'm struggling with some depression and lack of any motivation whatsoever. I guess it just goes with the territory.

So your still backed up? I'm sure you are drinking enough fluids? If fiber doesn't work for you, and if you are drinking enough....hmmm....have you ever tried MiraLax?

Please keep posting...I look forward to updates. I'm cheering you on!

Nice work Pixie, just re-reading your post: "I have to admit I'm struggling with some depression and lack of any motivation whatsoever. I guess it just goes with the territory."

I've started getting some of that mixed in - I'm very jealous of anyone who makes it through without that. All the physical symptoms suck but wow, they don't compare to the head games. Have had to remind myself a few times that they're just that, head games. Just gotta remind yourself "nothing is different than 2 hours ago or 2 days ago."
    Pixiepoxie likes this.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

May i suggest Smooth Move senna herb tea?
    Walgreens

Quote Originally Posted by UncleLeo View Post
    All the physical symptoms suck but wow, they don't compare to the head games. Have had to remind myself a few times that they're just that, head games. Just gotta remind yourself "nothing is different than 2 hours ago or 2 days ago."
    Amen to that. I do not cope well with the mental/emotional stuff. Perhaps that's at least partly how we all ended up here? Unfortunately it does seem to go with the territory. Sending positive vibes to you and Pixie.

Keep updating UncleLeo. We want to know the bad as well as the good. Lots of people cheering you on here.

Be kind to yourself.

Oh, and go for a RUN

Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast