Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By systolic_suckerpunch
  • 1 Post By Fizzle the Satch
Currently In A Short Term Love Affair Wirh Suboxone - Easiest Way To End?
    Fizzle the Satch is offline New Member

Default Currently In A Short Term Love Affair Wirh Suboxone - Easiest Way To End?

Hi All,

This forum seems to be the absolute best; reporting accurate info (for the most part), people who really want to help, and a lot of common decency. I'm glad to be on board!

Here's my greatly shortened story:

After 5 years of opiate treatment for back problems, (mainly 300mg Nucynta, and 40-50 mg of Norco/day) I developed a tolerance so strong, none of these or other opiates and/or opioids could penetrate the shield.

Decided to just live with the pain, and temporarily replace the Norco and Nucynta with Suboxone strips 8/2.
    I've been on the Suboxone only 5 weeks and I feel fine with one 8/2 strip/day or less.

The horror stories I read on this forum scared me enough to make a decision to quit the Suboxone after the 5th. week.
    I did quit. Cold turkey. Felt normal the first 2 days, then extreme lethargy, accompanied with a severe migraine
    headache set in on day 3. I felt so tired most of the day, I just wanted to sleep. I had to begin taking the Suboxone again at 4/2 per day. This dosage calms the back-talk for the most part, but if 5 weeks can do this to me, I can only imagine quitting Suboxone after the time lengths discussed on this forum.

Can anyone provide a workable time schedule for me to comfortably get off this double-edged sword of a medication? I want to quit the Suboxone ASAP.

I did receive 1 email from a very helpful member (Iwannaquit2013) who recommend I re-post my first thread to "Suboxone Treatment." Hopefully, I didn't break any rules, but you are now reading the same thread I wrote earlier that was filed in a different forum area.
    She also mentioned an obviously popular and successful man who "invented" a foolproof tapering method: His name is Bob, or Robert. Evidently, he holds the keys to a successful and painless elimination from Suboxone; and it appears many of you have used his taper schedule for his successful method of exit from Suboxone.

I look forward to writing with and chatting with some of you who don't mind putting up with a relative newcomer to Suboxone and other areas dealing with chronic pain issues.

Thanks,
    The Fizz

systolic_suckerpunch is offline Senior Member

Hi!

It wasn't the 5 weeks that did that to you. It was the fact that you stopped cold turkey at 8mg per day. The people who are successful with "Bob's taper", are successful because they taper down and stop using it at a daily dose of around 0.125mg. Slowly, steadily, methodically.

I think that's the biggest misconception that people (including doctors) have about this drug-- that one can just stop abruptly and it will be over with in 3 days. Nope. That's part of the reason why I and so many others ended up stuck on this medication for years and years.

It's a process and a commitment, but this taper is a way out from under this while still being able to function as people-- it works with suboxone's half life instead of against it, and therefore are able to work or e parents and not sick and miserable and desperate for the one thing we know will make it all better.

So it seems like you don't really have anything to lose by giving it a shot. And in a few short months, you may just find yourself free of this drug before it consumes needless years, or something worse.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-24-2013 at 11:51 PM.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi there! No rules broken, no worries.

I'm glad you took my suggestion to re-post your thread here. You are going to meet some wonderful and supportive people here! I'm glad you have found this forum.

Just a little FYI: the taper method is designed to be slow and steady. It's not completely without some minor symptoms, but if done correctly, those symptoms will be very manageable and easy to handle. Way easier than full blown withdrawal!

Good luck! Keep posting. Have a good night.
    Katherine

Sharks fan is offline Advanced Member

here is the taper plan

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html

Suboxone isn't a miracle drug or anything, but it can help you get your life back if used properly. Unfortunately most doc's don't know very much about it. You can't use it short term and jump off of a high dose and not feel poorly. Those 5 day detox plans don't work, they have a very high relapse rate because people feel horrible for so long they give up and start taking their DOC again.

The key to sub therapy is slow, you have to taper slow. Many of us have used the taper plan I posted above. If you follow the plan you should feel very minor to no w/d's. I always point everyone to Alex's thread, he had very little discomfort throughout his taper.

Jumping off 8mg a day is going to make you miserable.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Sounds like a good place to start: 4mg. of suboxone per day. Get stable at that dose. Make sure you fix a time when you are comfortable taking the sub. Are you taking it once a day or more? Alex took his once a day at a fixed time comfortable for him. Once you are stable, continue tapering by .25% every 4 days or so, by the "or so" you need to be stable when you drop. If you follow the taper and post here, there will be people to help you along the way. To cut the sub, google "cutting suboxone strips". The 4/2 I hope refers to not 4mg. twice a day, but the fact that you are taking sub strips that contain 4mg. bupenorphine (sub) and 2mg. naloxone. Wish you well! You are doing the right thing by going through the taper.

Peace,

Iloerose

Quote Originally Posted by systolic_suckerpunch View Post
    Hi!

It wasn't the 5 weeks that did that to you. It was the fact that you stopped cold turkey at 8mg per day. The people who are successful with "Bob's taper", are successful because they taper down and stop using it at a daily dose of around 0.125mg. Slowly, steadily, methodically.

I think that's the biggest misconception that people (including doctors) have about this drug-- that one can just stop abruptly and it will be over with in 3 days. Nope. That's part of the reason why I and so many others ended up stuck on this medication for years and years.

It's a process and a commitment, but this taper is a way out from under this while still being able to function as people-- it works with suboxone's half life instead of against it, and therefore are able to work or e parents and not sick and miserable and desperate for the one thing we know will make it all better.

So it seems like you don't really have anything to lose by giving it a shot. And in a few short months, you may just find yourself free of this drug before it consumes needless years, or something worse.
    Hey Systolic,
    Thanks for the reply.

Allow me to quickly share what I'm doing to be sub-free.

I began my reduction program on Saturday, 10/26/13. I am NOW taking one 8/2 strip daily, but I halve the one strip so I can take it twice daily at the same time each day.
    (Today, is Monday, 10/28/13.) Just so I KNOW I am off in a right direction, do I begin taking one half of an 8/2strip that is equal to 4 MG/daily, on Wednesday, the 30th? And do I continue this dosage for 4 straight days when I then reduce down to 2 mg/twice daily?

I'm trying to make the math readable, but sometimes, that doesn't always work out.

So, this is what I plan to do; I am respectfully asking for your approval and/or suggestions for improvement.
    My Taper Schedule:

Days 1-4 Cut one 8/2 mg strip in half and take 1/2 strip (which is now equal to 4 MG) TWICE DAILY.

5-8 Cut one 8/2 strip in (hopefully) 4 EQUAL PARTS. Stay with the same time schedule, take one quartered strip giving me 4 MG OF SUBOXONE DAILY.

4 days later - Same routine. 2 MG Suboxone daily.

4 days later - Same Routine. 1 mg Suboxone daily.

Repeat procedure, reducing by 25% daily.

Does this look right to you? Is it too ambitious or just about right?

Appreciate your (everyone's) help.

Best,
    The Fizz

Hi iloerose,
    Should the taper read, reduce every 4 days by 25% or.25%?
    Today, Monday, 10/28/13 I am taking one 8/2 strip, but I am cutting the strip in 2 so
    my body is still receiving 8 mg of suboxone daily. . . I take the two 4MG strips twice daily
    at the same time each day.
    I plan on reducing again on Wed., but after reading your reply that contained the .25% reduction
    amount, I'm now lost at how much and when I should reduce the amount of suboxone I take every day.

God Bless,
    The Fizz

If you're planning on going from 8 to 4, that's too much of a drop. Rose meant 25%, or 0.25. Not 0.25%!!

If you're stable @ 8mg, your next drop would be to 6. So you'd take either 3mg am and 3mg pm. Or you could do one dose of 2mg and one dose of 4. I'm at 6 right now and that's how I'm doing it, I take 2mg around 11:30am and 4 mg around 6-7pm. It won't hurt to take 2 different amounts just so the daily total is right.

From 6, your next drop would be to 4.5.

Hope this helps.

=)
    Iwantoff2013 and alexnt like this.

HELPS A LOT!

I do believe I have it now . . . Thanks, systolic_suckerpunch
    Best,

The Fizz

You're most welcome, Fizz!

One other thing. This is about how to take the medicine. I'm not sure if your doc ever addressed this with you--- only one out of many many of my sub drs ever did with me. The thing is that you have to make sure you're allowing enough time for the medicine to dissolve. Before I was told about this, I was apparently doing it wrong.

Suboxone dissolves thru the capillaries under your tongue, so before you take your medicine, drink some water and swish it around in your mouth a bit. This way you will have rinsed out anything that may be in there blocking the capillaries under the tongue. You place your strip (or piece of strip) under your tongue, as far back as you can get it, either off to the left or right side. For an 8mg strip, I was told that you have to give it 15 min, timed out by a clock, so for anything less than 8 I always just give it ten minutes, regardless of if its 4mg or 2. You have to hold it there without swallowing. Or talking, drinking, eating, smoking, or spitting. Until your time is up.

I know that's a long time to sit there with your mouth full of spit and not be able to swallow or talk, but it helps if you can go off by yourself during this time so there's no one there to talk to. When the time's up, just swallow everything that's in your mouth.

Taking it this way ensures that you're getting the most from your dose, which will help big time when you get down to the lower doses.