Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
On day 5 - need help with a short term sub detox!
    dontwait is offline Junior Member

Default On day 5 - need help with a short term sub detox!

Hi! I was on suboxone for 8 years, with many relapses to all pills in between. Everyone here knows the story. 5 months ago I stopped all suboxone and was using hydromorphone contin 18mg per day. Ive found so much motivation in these threads and hope you guys can help me right now on a personal scenario.

One week ago I used the last chunk of suboxone I had. I followed roberts plan for induction and waited as long as I could before taking like .3mg of the sub tab. It was almost dust. 6 hours later I had to take another .3mg. Surprisingly this really helped. (Monday evening - tuesday morning), then tuesday night the WD hit bad and I took a .5mg chunk. Thats it.

Starting last Wednesday I skipped. Telling myself I would only take the smallest sliver needed to not die. I've been waiting for the hurricane to come and it didnt, I kept skipping each day after.

Last night was day 4 (Saturday night) and it was by far the worst for WD, no sleep, toss and turn, lethargic. But nothing like full blown WD.

Am I in the clear? Or is it just getting started? I'm so motivated to do this now and be free. I've been taking gravol every night to help with sleep and good multivitamin with lots of water during the day. Trying to stay busy and not think of it.

Any insight on a short term sub plan would be helpful. I'm getting nervous today (day 5) is going to be bad, but am trying to stay hopeful that because I took so little, I'm in the clear for bad WD. Thanks so much guys!!!!

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi there.

Sorry, I'm not clear what amount of Sub you were taking before you took those little doses. Let me know and I'll help ya.

Kat

HI Kat, thank you!

I havent taken any suboxone for 5 months prior to these little doses. For 8 years I was on 8mg a day, then relapsed and started using 18mg hydromorphone contin. Realized I had to stop and only had a little suboxone to use. I'm scared that those 5 months of using just prolonged the sub withdrawal like Ive read happens sometimes. What do you think?

Also, I've WD so many times before and I'm just in shock its been this easy. I've kind of tapered the morphine over the last 3 months (skipping days, lowering finally down to 12mg). I keep waiting for the horrible wd im used to but nothings coming. Have I actually done it?

Quote Originally Posted by dontwait View Post
    Also, I've WD so many times before and I'm just in shock its been this easy. I've kind of tapered the morphine over the last 3 months (skipping days, lowering finally down to 12mg). I keep waiting for the horrible wd im used to but nothings coming. Have I actually done it?
    Well, 12 mg is a rather low dose so perhaps your WD won't be that bad. I say just keep going. The worst will be over in a few days. You have to want to be clean more than anything you've ever wanted. It requires constant effort. Believe me, I know.

You can do this if you make a real effort. Getting clean is much easier than staying clean.

Kat
    enough07 likes this.

Thanks Kat. Last night was day 5 (this am being the start of day 6) and I slept for the first night without any gravol. It was the first solid sleep since I started this. I had dreams of using haha but I feel like the crazy mind games have lifted this time around. Must be that I was just so sick and tired of living that way. Maybe I did all the hard work when I was weaning down from the pills. At one point I was using up to 50mg of morphine or 3-4 80 oxys a day. Going to keep doing what I'm doing because its working!

Appreciate your insight and this forum. <3
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

Default Update

In case anyone is interested in my experience...

I didnt find a lot of information online about using suboxone short term just to get through the opiate withdrawal symptoms. Which I found shocking because this was the original intention of the drug when it was created.

You really don't have WD symptoms if you are not dependant on suboxone. I heard someone say this is a forum when I was heavily researching what to do, and didnt believe it. But its true.

I'm on day 9 and have had no major issues. The first 6 days, sleep is difficult, but nothing you can't manage without a gravol. I would imagine if it was a bit worse for you an ativan would work.

I took just enough suboxone to not have WD from the morphine and only took it if I really needed it. This is a powerful, strong drug and as a 9 year opiate addict I was shocked at how little I actually needed.

I've also tried to do this many times before and failed. So the determination to finally be rid of this chaos and dependency helped my motivation. I followed everything in the roberts plan as far as supplements, drank LOTS of water, and really did exercise and keep my mind active and busy. The more you dwell and think about it, the more you spin into negative thoughts and feel WD.

I'm getting minor chills throughout the day the drug leaves my system, but nothing bothersome.

I'll keep posting in case anyone is reading!
    Ming23 likes this.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Hey Dontwait
    You were on a low dose of morph 12 mg, so a very small amt of sub will relieve the wd symptoms. Keep track of how much sub you use since, as u know, getting hooked on sub leads to a far worse wd than the short acting opiates.
    Be strong & determined to succeed. Many folks have made it through and so can you!
    How much sub r u taking on a daily basis now?
    Hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming23 View Post
    Hey Dontwait
    You were on a low dose of morph 12 mg, so a very small amt of sub will relieve the wd symptoms. Keep track of how much sub you use since, as u know, getting hooked on sub leads to a far worse wd than the short acting opiates.
    Be strong & determined to succeed. Many folks have made it through and so can you!
    How much sub r u taking on a daily basis now?
    Hang in there!
    Hi Ming! I'm not taking sub at all right now.
    Jan 1- Aug 31 (daily hydro use 50 mg down to 12mg, NO suboxone use)
    July 31 - 12 mg hydromorph (Last day of using!)
    Aug 1- .3mg suboxone
    Aug 2- .8-1mg subxone (hard to say because the pills crumble so easily and I took two pieces 6 or so hours apart this day, total of max 1mg).
    Aug 3- Skip day 1 (I wanted to start skipping early beacause I had barely any suboxone left, to conserve haha)
    Aug 4- Skip day 2 (I planned to take another piece today but didnt need it, my WD symptoms were so mild, I told myself I'd stick it out)
    Aug 5 - Skip day 3 (Sleep was terrible this night, but I took 2 gravol and as much immodium as needed for symptoms, WD symptoms were very mild compared).
    Aug 6 - Skip day 4 (At this point I'd decided I was done. If I turned back now, I wasnt sure I'd have another day 1 left in me. The mental war on day 1 and even 2 is the worst. This was a saturday and by far my worst night I think, but still nothing compared to other WD symptoms I've had).
    Aug 7 -10 - These last 4 days I've felt normal. I'm shocked. Some moments I have to pinch myself to see if I'm actually still alive and this is real. Life without pills has never been my reality. Its absolutely incredible.

Things I did differently this time around and why I think I didn't fail:

- I slowly over the last few months tapered my using down. I wasnt ready to give up using and the act of getting drugs still was my day to day crutch. But slowly I'd get less and less everytime Id go. I went from using over 50mg hydromorphone a day to limiting myself to 12mg a day toward the end (last few weeks at least).

- I got the suboxone out of my system. I'd been hooked on suboxone for 9 years. Before this 1.3mg dose for this quit, I hadnt touched sub since Decmeber 2015 (almost 9 months).

- Before quit day- PICK A PERSONAL SLOGAN. Someone gave me this advice. AND IT WORKS. Mine was "It's not an option, you can do this, just for this week, maybe next week". This one day at a time stuff didn't stick with me, because tomorrow is super close and i'd give myself permission to use. But telling myself next week, worked for me. By the time next week came, I didn't wanna use because I was so proud I made it that far. Find something that sits with you and say it every minute you get urges.

- IMMODIUM, 3-4 litres of water, MULTIVITAMIN, Walking Walking Walking (even if you feel like >>>> or lethargic, because you will, just fight through it), GRAVOL for sleep (NOT benadryl, this made my RLS way way worse), chamomile tea at night. I remember hearing ppl share this and Id laugh, like OTC s**t would help me with my WD from opiates. But it does take the edge off.

- DONT THINK ABOUT IT. I kept a journal the last 3 months of my quit attempts. And would write pages and pages of how I was feeling. This time... 2 sentences just to keep track. Don't dwell on it. The power of your mind is incredible. Keep busy, go out of town if you can, go for a hike, get lost in a forest, whatver it takes. Think of it as burning off the energy and cleansing your body of all the >>>>.

- Support. I did actively go to NA and AA meetings. Support is key. Get yourself into some counselling or community programs. Find people like you because you will find comfort in that companionship. It helps. Id been to inpatient rehab 2 times in my life, but it never stuck. having that background is good in helping your thoughts.

- lastly, I took hot baths the first week every night. some nights I'd lay there for over an hour. with epsom salts. RLS and anxiety/ insomnia were always my worst symptoms. This helps. ALOT.

All the best!!

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

That is awesome..
    I am glad you are going to meetings because as Kat said
    Getting clean is easy
    Now
    Staying clean is another conversation..

But life is so much better
    Free!
    Bette
    dontwait and Iwantoff2013 like this.

Dontwait
    Proud of you! Enjoy the sunshine!
    dontwait likes this.

Smilingstorm is offline Senior Member

Hi! I just read a past post from you asking for some specific help about tapering. And now reading your post that you did it without tapering! Holy moly... Wow! So proud of you! Please let us know how the sunshine feels today!
    dontwait likes this.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Don't wait ..
    How are you doing?
    Bette

Quote Originally Posted by Iluv2smile View Post
    Don't wait ..
    How are you doing?
    Bette
    Today is day 12 and I'm doing good. I keep a daily journal and calendar and each day I mark it with a big green highlighter with a check mark.

Some symptoms I'm having still are a bit of RLS and some lethargic days. Obviously a bit moody and shortened sleep (gone are the days of sleeping 10-12hours). I get on average 7 hours a night, give or take. I'm starting to rethink my coffee intake. It seems to bring on anxiety and a weird buzz feeling I didnt notice when I was high. Going to try and cut back that to see if it helps. I also have very very mild lingering WD symptoms... like sneezing, runny nose, and a bit of nausea. But they are so mild, they dont bother me.

This was the most useful tip I was given this week and it was from my doctor--- no joke. The man who I thought was useless haha.
    Dehydration symptoms can mimic a panic attack. He suggested I keep track of my water intake to see if theres a correlation to good days >> bad days. Going to try that and see how it goes.

Emotional - I'm in awe that I'm not dependent on a drug. Most days I have to pinch myself. I have moments of cravings. But I keep repeating my mantra and distracting myself. I have a list of things I can do to preoccupy myself. Also gaining a bit of clarity on the reality of my past situation. Things were really <<<<<< up.

New the last 3 days.... DREAMS> The dreams of using are intense and vivid. Anyone know how long those last for haha?

<3 Have a great Sunday everyone!
    Iluv2smile and Iwantoff2013 like this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Sounds like you are doing incredibly well. Those symptoms are fairly typical and they will ease up with a bit more time. Drug dreams! You gotta love them. I was fortunate enough not to be plagued by them often and they were only the first few weeks once I was clean. They weren't pleasant! I would wake up crying because they felt so real! They were always the same. I had relapsed and flushed all my work and clean time. It took a few minutes after waking to realize it was only a dream (nightmare) but it left me depressed for a little until I was wide enough awake to realize that I was still clean.

Dreaming is a good sign. Someone pointed out to me early on that while we are actively using, we either don't dream or don't remember the dreams. I hadn't really noticed that but in retrospect it was true. My guess is that a natural sleep produces dreams so when you begin to dream again (bad or good dreams) it's a sign that your brain is beginning to heal.

Peace,

Cat
    dontwait likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    Sounds like you are doing incredibly well. Those symptoms are fairly typical and they will ease up with a bit more time. Drug dreams! You gotta love them. I was fortunate enough not to be plagued by them often and they were only the first few weeks once I was clean. They weren't pleasant! I would wake up crying because they felt so real! They were always the same. I had relapsed and flushed all my work and clean time. It took a few minutes after waking to realize it was only a dream (nightmare) but it left me depressed for a little until I was wide enough awake to realize that I was still clean.

Dreaming is a good sign. Someone pointed out to me early on that while we are actively using, we either don't dream or don't remember the dreams. I hadn't really noticed that but in retrospect it was true. My guess is that a natural sleep produces dreams so when you begin to dream again (bad or good dreams) it's a sign that your brain is beginning to heal.

Peace,

Cat
    Thanks! Ya, the dreams are getting intense! It's caused me to have some serious cravings today. I've been following my relapse prevention calendar of activities to keep myself busy haha. But man today has been tough for cravings.

Smilingstorm is offline Senior Member

Today is day 12 and I'm doing good. I keep a daily journal and calendar and each day I mark it with a big green highlighter with a check mark.

Some symptoms I'm having still are a bit of RLS and some lethargic days. Obviously a bit moody and shortened sleep (gone are the days of sleeping 10-12hours). I get on average 7 hours a night, give or take. I'm starting to rethink my coffee intake. It seems to bring on anxiety and a weird buzz feeling I didnt notice when I was high. Going to try and cut back that to see if it helps. I also have very very mild lingering WD symptoms... like sneezing, runny nose, and a bit of nausea. But they are so mild, they dont bother me.

This was the most useful tip I was given this week and it was from my doctor--- no joke. The man who I thought was useless haha.
    Dehydration symptoms can mimic a panic attack. He suggested I keep track of my water intake to see if theres a correlation to good days >> bad days. Going to try that and see how it goes.

Emotional - I'm in awe that I'm not dependent on a drug. Most days I have to pinch myself. I have moments of cravings. But I keep repeating my mantra and distracting myself. I have a list of things I can do to preoccupy myself. Also gaining a bit of clarity on the reality of my past situation. Things were really <<<<<< up.

New the last 3 days.... DREAMS> The dreams of using are intense and vivid. Anyone know how long those last for haha?

<3 Have a great Sunday everyone!
    The dehydration and panic attack makes so much sense! I was so worried that first week that my heart would implode! It's been so long since I have had that feeling but it's cool to know why.

Deaming.. I love what Cat wrote. As usual. I must say, I haven't had a drug dream. Most of them are very sexual. But on August 7th at 4:58 am I woke up from a dream that really spoke to me. I won't get into details because I have yet to figure out where or why. It was intense in a very spiritual way. I always loved dreams. I often found that time to be very intuitive time for me. I missed them so much. Sorry, I'm rambling!

Holy moly you are on day 13! I'm so proud of you! I hope, you are too.. Stay strong. Never look back. Temptation comes and goes. It's not easy.. But each day you are clean will continue to bring clarity. Discernment. It will also give you back emotions and less fog.

You are doing so well!
    dontwait likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilingstorm View Post
    The dehydration and panic attack makes so much sense! I was so worried that first week that my heart would implode! It's been so long since I have had that feeling but it's cool to know why.

Deaming.. I love what Cat wrote. As usual. I must say, I haven't had a drug dream. Most of them are very sexual. But on August 7th at 4:58 am I woke up from a dream that really spoke to me. I won't get into details because I have yet to figure out where or why. It was intense in a very spiritual way. I always loved dreams. I often found that time to be very intuitive time for me. I missed them so much. Sorry, I'm rambling!

Holy moly you are on day 13! I'm so proud of you! I hope, you are too.. Stay strong. Never look back. Temptation comes and goes. It's not easy.. But each day you are clean will continue to bring clarity. Discernment. It will also give you back emotions and less fog.

You are doing so well!

Thank you!! I'm on day 14 today. Was up at 330 am and couldnt get back to sleep. Its weird there are moments that I feel like I'm experiencing mild WD but then it goes away and I think I'm crazy. It's hard to explain! Anyone else experience this? Is it a thing... like phantom WD?

Misty234 is offline Member

Hi dontwait,

I used the taper plan that is recommended on this forum after being on Suboxone for 5 years.It's now been over 3 months since my last sub and I'm still having a couple lingering symptoms like my energy is still low and sometimes I sleep great and some nights I get 3-4hours of broken up sleep. Like Ming says it will take time for the body to repair itself from the damage the drugs did. The sleep and low energy don't bother me to much any more and I'm confident that eventually those will go away soon. It will take time to heal just hang in there you are doing great...Take Care...Lisa
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-16-2016 at 05:29 PM.
    UncleLeo, dontwait and Iluv2smile like this.

brandon3993 is offline New Member

Thank you!! I'm on day 14 today. Was up at 330 am and couldnt get back to sleep. Its weird there are moments that I feel like I'm experiencing mild WD but then it goes away and I think I'm crazy. It's hard to explain! Anyone else experience this? Is it a thing... like phantom WD?
    Yes Yes! YES!!! And it's p*ssing me off to no end....

Your story is kinda like mine. My story: 3 1/2 years lotsa prescribed oxy/hydro, then took 37mg Subutex over a 7-day taper (flushed the rest).

Now I am on Day 8 clean. (Congratulations on your 14 days!!! BRAVO!)

I feel: weak, like those baby puppies on Youtube -- as soon as I sit up, I used up all my energy and have to lay down again. (I used to be ships captain lifting anchors all day!).

AND, I feel those "phantom" w/d symptoms. That hideous skin-crawl voltage thing... but as soon as I move, it goes away.

Does anyone ANYONE please have any suggestions for the weakness/lethargy?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-17-2016 at 05:21 PM.
    dontwait likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon3993 View Post

Your story is kinda like mine. My story: 3 1/2 years lotsa prescribed oxy/hydro, then took 37mg Subutex over a 7-day taper (flushed the rest).

I feel: weak, like those baby puppies on Youtube -- as soon as I sit up, I used up all my energy and have to lay down again. (I used to be ships captain lifting anchors all day!).

AND, I feel those "phantom" w/d symptoms. That hideous skin-crawl voltage thing... but as soon as I move, it goes away.

For the weakness and lethargy, the best thing to do is start taking a balanced B-100 Complex with L-Tyrosine. I also use MioEnergy water drops which work great too. All of it really helps. You've gotta take the vitamins every day for them to be continually effective. Also, lots and lots of water plus as much exercise as you can stand. All of this will help with energy and lethargy. Force yourself to exercise if you must because I'm sure it sounds like hell right now. But it pays off big time.

Kat
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon3993 View Post

Congrats on Day 9!! Way to go! What Kat suggested below is true, the vitamins and exercise really help. But man it sucks. Good news is, it can't last forever. Gotta look at it like, this is my body not on drugs. It needs to heal. I heard after a month symptoms level out!

Danidbo9 is offline Member

Hi I have a question about tapering suboxone I've been on it 1 week how do I get off I'm down to 1mg a day

Quote Originally Posted by Danidbo9 View Post
    Hi I have a question about tapering suboxone I've been on it 1 week how do I get off I'm down to 1mg a day
    Hey! What were you using before you started sub and how much? You might find its enough in your system to skip even two days or stop altogether. After a week, your body shouldnt be used to the sub, but if you're suffering, I'd follow the Roberts taper plan for sure. For you, you could do .5mg for 3 days, then .25mg for 3 days, then start skipping days or jump off. Would take you an extra week because you'll likely just jump because it hasnt been a lot of time!

Good for you!!! Keep up the good work!

Thank you for your response! I was taking Percocet for the past 14 months. I was going through 120 pills every 2 weeks. My dr would prescribe 10/325 then 2 weeks later 7.5/325 for the last 3 months. Then repeat lol. So today is day 11 with no percocets at all and 1 week ago today I started suboxone. The dr prescribed me 8mg strips 3x a day which from reading here is WAY to much!! 1 8mg sub last Friday made me high! So for whatever reason not knowing any better I took 2 strips Saturday. Then Sunday I said that's way to much so I took 12mg. Monday I cut down to 6mg. Tuesday I went to 4 mg. Wednesday and yesterday I went to 1 mg and I soooo do not want to take these! Yesterday I tried not to take it but I had bad chills and anxiety. So I guess I need to keep tapering before I jump? I haven't taken it yet today so maybe I should try .5? Thank you SO much for any advise or help!
    Ming23 likes this.

Danidbo
    Hey! If it were me, i would stay on 1 mg for a few days to give system time to adjust. Then taper to .75mg for a few days. Then .5mg etc. Get down to either .25mg or .125 mg and begin skipping days. What you notice when going down too quickly is discomfort. Such discomfort, both physically & mentally, is challenging and when people suffer too much there's a tendency to relapse--just for relief!
    The slower taper allows time to get the body/brain chemistry more tolerable.
    Hang in there! Stay the course! You'll be done soon.
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Thank you Ming. I read your posts and Congratulations to you!! You have been so successful at beating this! I did take .5 this morning and I have to say I feel ok. If I feel bad later should I take the other .5? I do not want to be hooked on subs. From what I read they are worse than being hooked on Percocet! I just want to be off everything I am ready to do this once and for all!

Thank you for your response! I was taking Percocet for the past 14 months. I was going through 120 pills every 2 weeks. My dr would prescribe 10/325 then 2 weeks later 7.5/325 for the last 3 months. Then repeat lol. So today is day 11 with no percocets at all and 1 week ago today I started suboxone. The dr prescribed me 8mg strips 3x a day which from reading here is WAY to much!! 1 8mg sub last Friday made me high! So for whatever reason not knowing any better I took 2 strips Saturday. Then Sunday I said that's way to much so I took 12mg. Monday I cut down to 6mg. Tuesday I went to 4 mg. Wednesday and yesterday I went to 1 mg and I soooo do not want to take these! Yesterday I tried not to take it but I had bad chills and anxiety. So I guess I need to keep tapering before I jump? I haven't taken it yet today so maybe I should try .5? Thank you SO much for any advise or help!
    Hey there. It's best to start your own thread here on the Suboxone board so we can help ya.

You have two choices: stop the Sub altogether and just ride it out since you've only been taking it for one week - OR - use the taper plan we have here to taper off. Sub is a powerful drug and you shouldn't be dosing all over the place. I realize you probably didn't know any better when you took so much Sub those first few days. Sub docs don't have a clue, unfortunately.

The physical WD from the Percocet is over. If you stop the Sub, it's difficult to predict how you'll feel. My guess is it won't be all that bad. If you can power through it, that's probably your best option to just nip this in the bud for good.

But if you do decide to taper the Sub, you MUST find a stable dose. This may take a little trial and error since you've taken different dosages over the last week. Stable means having little to no WD symptoms. Once you're nice and stable, you reduce by 25% only. Rinse and repeat.

Let us know what you decide.
    Kat
    dontwait likes this.

Hi Kat! I'm new here so I'm not sure how to start my own thread. How do I do that? I appreciate all of you guys helping me out so far! I was thinking about just stopping tomorrow and not taking anymore but I'm afraid of the half life I have been reading about. I was feeling good on 1mg. No withdrawls just had very cold feet at night. Now today I took .5 mg this morning and I'm feeling ok so far. I don't know what I should do. I don't want to keep taking subs I keep reading a lot of bad things about them. You said the physical WD from the Percocet is over? Oh another question if I stop taking the suboxone tonight and I get anxious tomorrow can I take Ativan? My dr prescribed it a while ago and it didn't do anything so I still have almost a whole bottle. And it was a different dr than the sub dr. I don't want to get hooked I just figured to help any anxiety left over from the suboxone.
    dontwait likes this.

Hi Kat! I'm new here so I'm not sure how to start my own thread. How do I do that? I appreciate all of you guys helping me out so far! I was thinking about just stopping tomorrow and not taking anymore but I'm afraid of the half life I have been reading about. I was feeling good on 1mg. No withdrawls just had very cold feet at night. Now today I took .5 mg this morning and I'm feeling ok so far. I don't know what I should do. I don't want to keep taking subs I keep reading a lot of bad things about them. You said the physical WD from the Percocet is over? Oh another question if I stop taking the suboxone tonight and I get anxious tomorrow can I take Ativan? My dr prescribed it a while ago and it didn't do anything so I still have almost a whole bottle. And it was a different dr than the sub dr. I don't want to get hooked I just figured to help any anxiety left over from the suboxone.
    To start your thread: go to the top of this page and click where it says "Suboxone Treatment". That will take you to the main Sub board which shows all the threads. At the top left, there's a big blue button that says "Post New Thread". Click on that.

I gotta run out but will check back with you.
    Kat
    dontwait likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast