• 1 Post By Albacorey
  • 1 Post By Randy35
  • 2 Post By Albacorey
  • 1 Post By Ming23
  • 1 Post By Albacorey
Down to .50 MG after 3 years... In the home stretch
    Albacorey is offline Junior Member

Default Down to .50 MG after 3 years... In the home stretch

Hi Everyone, So after having an opiad addiction to percocet, I went on suboxone for a very short period of time, Dropped off the subs at around 4 mgs, and suffered quite a bit, was able to fight thru it, and was clean for about 4 months until I thought it would be ok to take a few percocets. Fast forward, got hooked again, went back on subs.
    I have now been on subs for over 3 years. I have been gradually tapering from starting at 8 mg per day, I just recently dropped from .75 mg per day to .50 mg per day. I am on day 3 of .50 mg and am feeling pretty normal.
    I plan on following roberts taper plan and after tomorrow (Day 4 on .5 mg) will go down to .25mg.
    Any input or help from here is very much appreciated! I am so excited to finally be done relying on a substance to function normally!
    I run a business and cannot afford to have any down time due to sickness.
    Thank you for listening!
    UncleLeo likes this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Welcome!

If you're following Robert's sub plan then you'll want to make the dose reduction after .5mg a 25% reduction which would be .375mg. After that go to .25mg. At that point you could either jump, skip days, or reduce further.

On the other hand if you previously jumped at 4mg you may be able to handle the 50% drop from .5mg to .25mg. Has to be your decision, I'm just offering suggestions.

What do you plan on doing different this time once you are off the subs? Have you considered meetings of NA/AA or maybe counseling? Just asking.

Randy
    Albacorey likes this.

Default Thanks for the reply

I will take your advice and stick to the program and go down 25%. At this point of being on so long, I just want to do it right with minimal side effects.
    As far as when I am completely off the subs, I honestly believe I am done forever with opiates. I know that is what we all say, but I cannot deal with relying on any substance to feel normal.
    I have no interest in taking them again. I have had 2 surgerys while on suboxone and was offered pain medication and refused it.
    I am in a good place in life and have no desire to mess it up! Besides the financial cost of using or even subs for that matter.

Thank you very much for your advice!!

Default Day one at .375 MG

So last week went very well with minimal side effects dropping from .75 to .50.
    I was dosing at .25 when I woke then .25 around 5-6 or as late as I could go without feeling any symptoms.
    I have decided to go threw the next 4 days with dosing .25 upon wake up and .125 late afternoon or as long as I can go until I feel I need it to try and get a good nights sleep.
    Does anyone have any input on doing it this way? I feel kind of >>>>>> in the morning when I wake so that is why I chose the majority of my dose in the am.

I am so excited to get done with this, although after over 2 years, I am not in a rush and would rather do it right with minimal side effects!
    I have an appt with the sub doc Next week on Tuesday and I am also thinking I have enough to get me thru the remainder of my taper if I stick to the program. Boy would I love to cancel that appointment!!!

He never shows any encouragement when I tell him I reduced my dose, nor does he give any real advice or taper program. My knowledge is strictly from what I learn on this forum.

Thanks for listening!

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albacorey View Post
    So last week went very well with minimal side effects dropping from .75 to .50.
    I was dosing at .25 when I woke then .25 around 5-6 or as late as I could go without feeling any symptoms.
    I have decided to go threw the next 4 days with dosing .25 upon wake up and .125 late afternoon or as long as I can go until I feel I need it to try and get a good nights sleep.
    Does anyone have any input on doing it this way? I feel kind of >>>>>> in the morning when I wake so that is why I chose the majority of my dose in the am.

I am so excited to get done with this, although after over 2 years, I am not in a rush and would rather do it right with minimal side effects!
    I have an appt with the sub doc Next week on Tuesday and I am also thinking I have enough to get me thru the remainder of my taper if I stick to the program. Boy would I love to cancel that appointment!!!

He never shows any encouragement when I tell him I reduced my dose, nor does he give any real advice or taper program. My knowledge is strictly from what I learn on this forum.

Thanks for listening!

Hi There -

We usually recommend dosing just once per day when you're down under 1mg per day. It becomes a matter of addicitve behavior dosing more than once. As addicts we usually took our drug of choice multiple times a day if we had it. That's surely addictive actions. To get away from that it's best to take the sub just once a day as soon as we can. You'll be off very soon so might as well get use to it now by dosing once per day. Of course that's completely up to you.

You're on .375mg per day now. Assuming you'll spend another 3-5 days on that dose, then drop to .25mg per day and spend around 4-5 days there we can get a fairly accurate estimate of how much sub you'll need to finish. After spending some time on .25mg you can either reduce lower, jump, or skip days. Depending on what you do will determine how much sub is actually required.

My best guess is that you'll need around 4mg, give or take a mg to finish up. If you have more than that you can certainly cancel that appt if you wish. Just make certain you have enough ok.

Doing a great job!!!

Randy

Default Thank You Randy!!

That sounds awesome! I do have more then 4 mg so that answers that question. And I realize its better not to have extra on hand in moments of temptation. I cant believe I am cancelling my last appointment with him! This is drive alone to get this done! After over 2 years...Tomorrow I will dose it all upon waking up as advised. That makes tons of sense. Hopefully Saturday I will still feel like I do today and drop that dose to .25.

I truly appreciate your input!
    Ming23 and Randy35 like this.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Hey Albacory
    You're right on track! Just take Randy's good advice on the dosing. His input helped me a lot.
    Yes, it's hard to believe when we cancel the re-up appointment! Lol. It was valued in the past but it's time to move on.
    You will never regret this excellent choice you've made! I jumped Dec 27th and never looked back.
    Proud of you man!
    Albacorey likes this.

Post Awesome Ming!

Im so happy for you as well! It must be such a weight off your shoulders!! I know its not easy, and im having my moments, but so far not bad.
    Because of my mentality, I am expecting the absolute worse, so anything better then that is a bonus!

I am stressing a bit tho, because besides, work, and running a business, I have a few events going on in the evening, just hoping I will be ok to attend. I have tried to explain to my wife what is going on but I dont think she fully understands. Nobody can till they experience it themselves. She believes its "All in my Head" I know there is a lot of mental involved, but the physical side effects are not in my head.
    I am just trying hard to keep my eye on the prize!

Today is day 3 tapering from .50 to .375. Besides tossing and turning a bit for a couple hours last night, Im feeling pretty strong. Also made sure to get back in the gym, I have been forcing myself to get in there, as it definitely does help! Especially for the sleeping part.

Ming, I believe I did read your thread a bit if Im not mistaken. Can you share what your experience was like briefly when you went down to .25 and finally the jump. Did you skip days at the end or just jump after 4 days on .25?
    Any input is very much appreciated! From anyone!
    I was thinking of getting some Vitamin B complex today to help with energy, besides that, I am drinking my nutri bullet shakes with fruits and veggies in the am.

Getting ready to call my doc and cancel our last appointment!! Hope he is not too upset he is losing a patient and $140 per month!

Thank God for this forum!
    Randy35 likes this.