Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
Dropping off Subutex from relatively high doseage.
    coughxcool is offline New Member

Default Dropping off Subutex from relatively high doseage.

I am making this thread because I have been searching for another one like it and not found one. Hopefully my experience can help others in a similar situation.

I have been on Subs for a few years now with relatively few interruptions. I was started at an irresponsibly high doseage (24mg/day) and kept on "maintenance" at this high doseage due for years due to a long history of relapse and having a lethal iv >>>>>>/fentanyl habit. The past couple of months I have come to the conclusion that my doctors are quacks for putting me on maintenance at this high doseage, and have been researching the right way to get off... BUT NOW Out of the blue, I have been afforded about a month off of work and am using the time to kick the sub habit. Since time is a huge consideration for me I am not going to be able to taper off properly and actually just dropped off at my normal doseage 72 hours ago. I have gone CT off >>>>>> numerous times and am thinking that although this may last longer there is no way it can be as intense and I will get through it no problem. I intend to report how the process goes in this thread.

72 hours in: watery eyes, limited energy, but nothing too bad. was able to go out to the store earlier and get a few things done. Yawning a lot. Anxiety level quite high, getting drowsy at odd times. Otherwise just laying around hoping this kick doesnt come on too hard in the next few days.

Lincolnecho is offline Member

Coughxcool,

You may want to look up suboxone half life. I'm no expert but it works something like this. The "get high" opiates have a half life much lower than suboxone which is about 36 to 72hrs.

In other words the severe withdrawal is delayed. You may want to inquire about the taper plan we have been using here. Much easier and IMO the best why to bring yourself off of opiates without horrible needless withdrawal pain.

Hint, see plan here: https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html

Good luck,

Let us know how your doing,

Lincoln
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

I'm in agreement with SS. I really, really hope you're right that the sub w/d from 24mg. will not be as intense. The w/d shouldn't start for a few days: anywhere between 24 and 72 hours. I think you will have the best success doing the taper. The w/d's are tolerable. Most people work right through them and minimal symptoms. I'd think about it if I were you. Like SS said: I don't want to be a downer, and I commend what you want to do, but MAN. That is a high dose to jump.

Peace,

Iloerose

PS read the taper that Linc posted. If you are on 24mg. we can take you down from that to a responsible dose relatively quickly.
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi there. Good for you for wanting to get off sub.

I'm currently tapering sub, and the taper plan here works wonders if you follow it. As others have said, I totally understand just wanting to get it over with. However, WD from sub is intense and can last quite a long time. With the month you have off, you could spend it tapering down to a much lower dose with very little symptoms and be back to work without issue.

There are many people here who have tapered off subs using the plan and I don't remember any of them saying they had to miss work.

We're here to support you whatever you decide. Good luck!
    Kat

whatsinaname is offline Platinum Member

Whoa buddy..... 24mgs is a lot to jump from. Sub WD can take several days to fully hit. When I was tapering off subs I had a week in between jobs and wanted to be done before starting the new job. I jumped from .50mg and still struggled some. I can only imagine 24mgs would be a tall order. Its said her very often but bears repeating, subs are a great tool to get free from opiates, do it right and you only have to do it once. I havent seen anyone do a proper taper and have to miss any work. Just some things to consider. We want nothing more than for you to be successful.

Best of luck to you!
    Lincolnecho likes this.

HI guys! Thanks for the messages- OP HERE. so things were going great... Days 1-7 all just kind of "meh". I had achy everything, stomach pains, restless legs, still able to eat and get stuff done around the house, not sleeping great, painful erections that lasted for hours (tmi?), and then BAM
    Day 8
    FULL >>>>ing W/D
    Vomiting, diarrhea, more vomiting, more diarrhea, oh god the skin crawls, cold flash, hot flash, sweating, god i smell terrible, cant move, squirming around like a broken animal full of useless bones. Screaming from the stomach pains. What the >>>> was I thinking?

I thought I was about to breeze through this. 7 days! Surely after 7 days I'd be over it???

Due to the support of my fiancee, I was able to NOT use, despite giving her about 300,009 ideas why I could just use a little bit today and not really set myself back, she was able to calm me down. In the end I called a friend to bring me over some Ativan, 1mg. I was honestly sure that later at night when left to my own devices I would have used. The ativan did the trick. I had to take a relatively large doseage (which means I am almost out ;() and ended up thrashing in and out of sleep for the rest of the night.

Day 9:
    50% better today
    Could be the ativan but
    I can sit, although restlessly,
    And was able to read and watch tv for a while which I wasnt able to tolerate yesterday. I still have the skin crawls, but no sweats. Honestly this is tolerable. I can do this. Yesterday... Not so much.

Did not at first then got some ativan and antinauseals my dad had for chemotherapy when THE >>>> hit the fan. I know I can do this.

Also- i appreciate all the offers to help me taper and as much as I would have preferred to go that route, my current circumstances do not allow it I need to be on my feet and starting a big boy job for the first time by mid january. I have failed so many tapers by saying eff it and getting a buzz (im a terrible addict) that the only treatments that have ever worked for me is old school or rapid detox.

systolic_suckerpunch is offline Senior Member

I'm glad you're feeling (relatively) better and were able to resist using. I know I couldn't have done that. At one point I was on your same dose and even higher, but now I am tapering and down to 4 mg per day.

Hopefully you are thru the worst of it now and the rest will be all downhill. Take care of your health as much as possible right now and that should help you bounce back faster. It sounds like you're doing a great job!

Wow! What a story. Did your fianc

My reply got chopped.

If the pain gets to great you always gave the option to reach out here. Rose, Alex, Kat or other sr. Members can help guide you through a taper starting at a much smaller dose.

Good luck, congratulations, you've come a long way.

Lincoln

So day 10: the sickness is kickin i feel worse than yesterday. Skin crawls, night sweats, sore everything. Not much ativan left, thats not helping. A nice 2mg dose of ativan would really settle this all down. Alas i dont have enuff touse it that way. Hoping tomorrow is noticeably better. If not.. Im going to regret not switching to a full agonist before detox because damn this was a very similar ride

alexnt is offline Platinum Member

cough I hadn't checked your thread at now and If im reading this right you jumped off at 24 mg of sub is that correct? If so you had so much subs stacked in your system you would have had about 65 to subs in you when you jumped. That's like quitting at least 2000 mg of morphine a day habit. With the long half life its not like you quit at over 2000 mg of morphine a day all at once but way to much to CT off of. Do you have any subs left at all? You don't start your new job till next month but you may be in for many more rough days ahead. If you have any subs left over please let me know and lets see if we can figure something out. Talk with you later.

Alex
    moonbuddy likes this.

Yeah i am getting that... NotAble to go back and taper at this point. How long do you think these bad withdrawals will continue?

alexnt is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coughxcool View Post
    Yeah i am getting that... NotAble to go back and taper at this point. How long do you think these bad withdrawals will continue?
    cough I cant tell you how long the withdrawl will last because I don't have any idea because of the fact you jumped at 24 mg. If you had just a bit of subs to do it would help to ease up a lot of discomfort you are going thru now. Im not talking a full taper as outlined here but a somewhat fast taper to help out some

Alex
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

My fiancee and family refuse to let that happen they think its like going back 2 square 1, despite having a partial script to work with

You mean they refuse to let you fill a Suboxone prescription? Do they know that subs don't get people high?

Like Alex said, even a small amount to do a rapid taper is better than what you're going through. I cannot even imagine jumping from 24 mg. Holy hell. If you have a script for sub you may really want to consider filling it. No need to suffer so badly.

I'm sorry you're going through this.
    Kat

Cough,

Like I said, the sr members will help. They have guided my taper from full blown using opiates to 1/64 of an 8mg strip in about 45 days.

1. Since day one I have never felt high
    2. From day one I have not felt withdrawal

My family was at the end of the line with my opiate abuse. Today my wife is 100% on board with the taper plan. She says things like "so glad you're back". We are happy again. Tell your family to read our stories. This taper plan is a vehicle to becoming opiate free with dignity and little discomfort.

Please, please, listen to Alex, Rose and Kat. They know how to guide you through a painless withdrawal. You don't have to be a marter.

You have the motivation, let these guys educate you and you will be comfortable soon.

Good luck,

Lincoln

moonbuddy is offline New Member

Cough,
    I agree with everyone else that sub taper is the way to go.
    However......
    If you can't you can't.
    I jumped off a huge amt of fentanyl 3 years ago and subs were not an option for me either.
    You can do this, just take it a day at a time. It gets better gradually.
    I'm sorry you can't go the sub route but I am proof it can be done.
    Stay hydrated and move around as much as possible.
    I had dogs I had to get out and exercise and that saved my behind.
    I posted day and night here to keep me going with a friend going through a similar detox.
    Again....sub taper if possible...if not it can still be done!
    alexnt and Lincolnecho like this.

Thanks everone for the kind words: here i am at day 11 and feel markedly better than yesterday. Again, taper not an option so just going to keep updating my progress.

Day 11: feeling better than expected. Was able to eat some applesauce and drink a decent amount of pedialite for once. Bones still wierd, rls still in effect, night sweats when i do nod off, but otherwise just a "meh" kind of day. The last time i felt like I was over the hump like this, i spent the whole next day puking so lets hope thats not going to happen again! Overall mellow, doing a lot of walking (it was high 60s here today, nice) and kind of just hoping to feel even better tomorrow. Man I am so jealous of those people that pay for "rapid detox"! How cool would thatve been

I think my main obstacle now is going to be staying clear of >>>>>>, which was never my strong suit but I'm devoted now in a way I was not before. Lets hope that amounts to more than just words.

Really glad to hear you're feeling better today! That's great.

I hope tomorrow is even better. It's hard to say where a high dose sub WD will lead, but I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Take care.
    Kat

Firefire is offline Member

Hello cough,taper taper taper,I'm currently tapering with the help of most of the people on your thread.they are amazing and knowledgable.I owe them my life.acceptance to the plan was the hardest.yes you are doing a lot so my guess is it's going to take some time to heal.try to get some more subs and take there advice.stay positive.take care ff

Hi. Just wanted to see how you're feeling today. I hope things are better for you.

Post an update when you can.
    Kat

BuckerG is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by moonbuddy View Post
    Cough,
    I agree with everyone else that sub taper is the way to go.
    However......
    If you can't you can't.
    I jumped off a huge amt of fentanyl 3 years ago and subs were not an option for me either.
    You can do this, just take it a day at a time. It gets better gradually.
    I'm sorry you can't go the sub route but I am proof it can be done.
    Stay hydrated and move around as much as possible.
    I had dogs I had to get out and exercise and that saved my behind.
    I posted day and night here to keep me going with a friend going through a similar detox.
    Again....sub taper if possible...if not it can still be done!
    Your cym taper was epic...

I'm glad you are on the other side now....

It warms my heart...

Good luck to you coughx....

It can be done...dedicate!
    alexnt likes this.

Thanks all for the kind words and feedback it has been really helpful. Here i am on day 13 and I spent most of the day writhing in agony from lower abdominal pains. Guess the opiate receptors down there are pretty pissed now as well. After that subsided im pretty ok just sore joints and lingering abdominal pain. Need to get more food and excercise though this has really taken it out of me and ive spent the bulk of the last few days laid up.

I cant wait for this to end. Ive had multiple bouts with wanting to go use but did not follow through. I just want to end this.

Cough, hang in there. I do not have any experience with the suboxone CT method you chose. I am however really pulling for you. I get encouragement and a good feeling anytime I hear of someone eliminating opiates from their body. You reinforce my decision to get clean (almost there). Long term opiate abuse was a dead end deal for me.

I read everyone of your posts and hope you make it.

It doesn't matter how we get clean, staying clean is the key.

Good luck,
    moonbuddy likes this.

Thanks lincoln. Im still doing fine. Im extremely irritated at the length of this w/d. If i had any idea I would have never agreed to subutex maintenance. >>>>>> w/d always ended in about a week for me and here I am two full weeks in. I have 6 more days until responsibilities kick in again and I'll have to suck it up and join the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by coughxcool View Post
    Thanks lincoln. Im still doing fine. Im extremely irritated at the length of this w/d. If i had any idea I would have never agreed to subutex maintenance. >>>>>> w/d always ended in about a week for me and here I am two full weeks in. I have 6 more days until responsibilities kick in again and I'll have to suck it up and join the real world.
    Cough,

I was just reading some old threads and this one guy jumped from 24mg. His writing skills are very good and he describes the cold turkey process in great detail. I found it interesting and thought I would pass it along.

Read his story here: https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...ars-61013.html

Lincoln

Ken2727 is offline Senior Member

Hi Cough , Ken here .

Wanted to drop in and say I am also pulling for you . I also have no experience c/t'n subs though not for trying before arriving here . ( I had too much sub on hand to get much further than 48 hrs. ) .. What I can say is I finished my taper on the first of this month and after the first week things started leveling back out .. Other than fighting a craving here and there I can safely say almost back to 100% .. Kind of rambling here but these are things that helped in my case . Many great people posting here have stated these already but they are really important in my opinion .. Drink as much as possible though some days are just tuff to do that . Pedialyte ( see you have that covered ) and boost or ensure where my best friends towards and at the end for getting the most out of drinking small amounts . Try to exercise in any way possible even pacing around the house to get blood flowing and endorphins firing again . I don't know if you like music but the last 2 weeks before jumping and first 1 or so after I had earbuds in with low ( ok sometimes cranked ) music flowing almost constantly . Anything that makes you laugh even if you have to force first one or anything to divert your mind from how you feel . I had to seriously cut my caffeine intake and it made a huge difference for me . Hot and I mean hot as you can stand showers or baths with a cool down rinse at the end so it settles the sweats . Of course imodium .

Like I stated I did not ct but these are things that helped me so hoping to help in some way . Sorry for the book . I think it is amazing that you jumped from that high of a dose and shows your strength so - Stay Strong .

Wishing you the best !

Ken
    Iwantoff2013 and Lincolnecho like this.

Hey there..just an FYI: the moderators of this site don't allow any encouragement of drug use of any kind, i.e. pot. They get a bit testy and may delete a post that talks about that kind of thing. Not always, but it has happened before. Just wanted to let you know

So, you're feeling better? I really hope so. I could never do what you've done and maintain my daily life so kudos to you!!

Kat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast