Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bottlecapbuddy
  • 1 Post By Bottlecapbuddy
  • 1 Post By Catrina
Feeling wd symptoms 5 weeks after a successful switch from methadone to Suboxone
    Bottlecapbuddy is offline New Member

Default Feeling wd symptoms 5 weeks after a successful switch from methadone to Suboxone

Hello,

I switched from methadone to suboxone 5 weeks ago and everything has been fine, I’ve dropped to lower doses and felt pretty normal. I’ve been dropping down a bit more slowly than the method used on this site, mostly because I didn’t want to push myself too hard while planning a wedding, going through midterms and working full time.
    A few days ago I felt something similar to mild opiate w/d, and now it feels even worse 1.5 days later. I’m getting married next week and really don’t want to feel sick on my wedding day! What could cause this? Is it normal for people to feel w/d symptoms after feeling fine for 5 weeks? I’m having stomach issues, a bit of goosebumps, that *smell* that comes when you’re in w/d and my anxiety has increased. Any insight?

Thank you!
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bottlecapbuddy View Post
    Hello,

I switched from methadone to suboxone 5 weeks ago and everything has been fine, I’ve dropped to lower doses and felt pretty normal. I’ve been dropping down a bit more slowly than the method used on this site, mostly because I didn’t want to push myself too hard while planning a wedding, going through midterms and working full time.
    A few days ago I felt something similar to mild opiate w/d, and now it feels even worse 1.5 days later. I’m getting married next week and really don’t want to feel sick on my wedding day! What could cause this? Is it normal for people to feel w/d symptoms after feeling fine for 5 weeks? I’m having stomach issues, a bit of goosebumps, that *smell* that comes when you’re in w/d and my anxiety has increased. Any insight?

Thank you!
    Sounds to me that whatever dose you are taking of the sub isn't enough to be stable. That's easy to address thank goodness. How much sub are you taking per day now? When was your last reduction and by how much--how much were you taking and what are you taking now? Are you dosing once or twice a day and is it at the same time(s) each day? Are you being careful about dividing your doses to be absolutely certain you're taking the same amount everyday?

If you answer these questions and I'm sorry there's so many of them, I bet we can figure out what's going on and what suggestions there are to get you stable.

Good job making that switch! That's a tough one but you did it. Congratulations and Welcome to the Forum.

Peace,

Cat

Bottlecapbuddy is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    Sounds to me that whatever dose you are taking of the sub isn't enough to be stable. That's easy to address thank goodness. How much sub are you taking per day now? When was your last reduction and by how much--how much were you taking and what are you taking now? Are you dosing once or twice a day and is it at the same time(s) each day? Are you being careful about dividing your doses to be absolutely certain you're taking the same amount everyday?

If you answer these questions and I'm sorry there's so many of them, I bet we can figure out what's going on and what suggestions there are to get you stable.

Good job making that switch! That's a tough one but you did it. Congratulations and Welcome to the Forum.

Peace,

Cat
    Thank you and thanks for answering!

I’m taking 1.5mg p/d right now, split into 2 doses; 1mg in the morning (around 5am) and .5 at around 3pm. I’m pretty good about taking them at the right times, although there were 2 days a week ago where I took my evening dose about an hour late. My last reduction was 1.5 weeks ago (I didn’t want to reduce too close to the wedding) and it was a .25 reduction. I fold the subs into quarters in order to split them, but there might be some minimal variation due to human error. I don’t think by too much though.
    I have been especially stressed out lately, could the extra adrenaline cause me to metabolize the suboxone more quickly than normal? The w/d type symptoms are still fairly mild, but definitely there, I don’t think it’s a flu or anything (I could be wrong, but I’m unfortunately pretty familiar with w/d symptoms).

Thanks again!
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bottlecapbuddy View Post
    Thank you and thanks for answering!

I’m taking 1.5mg p/d right now, split into 2 doses; 1mg in the morning (around 5am) and .5 at around 3pm. I’m pretty good about taking them at the right times, although there were 2 days a week ago where I took my evening dose about an hour late. My last reduction was 1.5 weeks ago (I didn’t want to reduce too close to the wedding) and it was a .25 reduction. I fold the subs into quarters in order to split them, but there might be some minimal variation due to human error. I don’t think by too much though.
    I have been especially stressed out lately, could the extra adrenaline cause me to metabolize the suboxone more quickly than normal? The w/d type symptoms are still fairly mild, but definitely there, I don’t think it’s a flu or anything (I could be wrong, but I’m unfortunately pretty familiar with w/d symptoms).

Thanks again!
    Looks like you're doing everything almost perfectly. The only thing I might suggest is that you should really be splitting your dose evenly so long as you continue to dose twice a day. It's important to keep a good steady level of sub in your system. Be sure to keep your reductions to no more than 25% of your current dose. So if your last dose was 2 and you reduced to 1.5, that's perfect. Your next reduction will be 25% of 1.75 or to 1.32. I know that's a crazy fraction. Some people will round down to 1.25 but that might be too much. Your method of folding the strips is a good one. The easiest thing to do is to take your current dose and cut it into four and take three of them. Voila! 75%. You might take a few minutes and check out a video on Youtube posted by one of our former members, Harry Smooth. Lots of people have found it very helpful in cutting those strips especially when you get down to those tiny pieces.

You've been at your current dose for a week and a half. You really should be stable by now. If your symptoms are manageable, then I'd try and stick with it because you ought to become stable soon. Try splitting that dose evenly to see if that might help. I think it will. You might also consider making smaller reductions from now on. Some people find 25% too much. Nothing wrong with that and it might make things easier moving forward.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. You're familiar with wd symptoms and I'm sure you'd know if you were otherwise sick so you're probably right. Were you good and stable before your last reduction? If you weren't that could be another reason you're having some trouble. Even so, I'd stick with the 1.75mg. Glad you found this Forum and began a thread. Stick with us and we'll be here to help whenever, however we can.

Peace,

Cat
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.