Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Finally quitting
    Quit9 is offline Junior Member

Default Finally quitting

So this is my first time posting here...I've occasionally read posts.

Back story, went through a lot of hard times and got badly addicted to pain pills, I would take anything and it got even easier when someone unfortunately introduced me to a dealer. So i quit taking pills I did them for maybe 6 to 9 months... obviously withdraws were awful, I got recommend a doctor, who immediately put me on Subs. I had no idea what this medicine was or what it's purpose was I just knew it made me feel better...they had me on Subs for over a year..longer than i did pills. I don't have the urge to take pills whatsoever but obviously I just want to feel normal. So they lowered my sub dose a month ago..it seemed rough I was taking a little more than the doctor told me to, not to abuse, but again to feel normal. I ran out two days ago...went for a refill and the new doctor tells me I'm early by 8 days and she won't refill them she legally can't. So I begged a little because after reading on here I knew I was in for some serious withdraws. I walked out determined to some how get more but car ride home I just decided it was enough. I'm gunna quit them I have to at some point. Even though i think it's a little harsh for a Doctor to put someone on these for so long and not totally inform them of what it is and then just tell them no you can't have any. But if she will get her license removed I totally understand. So it's been two days and let me just say it SUCKS. I have zero energy, I don't wanna talk to anyone or do anything. I have horrible chills, and sleep has been ok...not horrible but definitely not great. I've been drinking a ton of Gatorade and water hoping it speeds up the process but I keep having second thoughts, like I wanna get more subs to make this stop but I feel determined.

Depression definitely has kicked in, I have a 3 year old daughter she's my world and I feel bad. I've noticed me snapping at her...and not wanting to engage with her as much. Work is the worst part because I have to be at work I can't miss time....it's only day 2 but alot of the stories here have me hopeful still. Just wanted to write this to get it off my chest...and to let you guys know that I'm sure there's a ton of people that read this that don't comment but I know you guys are motivation.

Any tips will be welcome. I wasn't taking a super high dosage...8mg? It's the blue wrapper....then got switched to the 2mg? The green wrapper, sorry I'm not great with the dosages. Anyways I'm hoping tomorrow day 3 and 4 will be the worst and maybe some symptoms will subside....thanks everyone!!

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi there. Welcome.

So, you were taking 8 mg per day before you went cold turkey? Ouch. Not gonna sugarcoat it -- it's gonna be a bit rough. Suboxone has an extremely long half-life which is why withdrawals can last so long. 8 mg is actually a high dose, but doctors don't realize that. No one really needs that much Sub. You actually have more than 8 mg in your system because of the build-up.

Your best bet would be to use the taper plan we have here. Countless people have used it to get off Sub with minimal issues. But you can't get more Sub for 8 days? Well, see what happens. If, after 8 days, you can stick it out, that's awesome! But if you just can't see it through and need to taper off, we'll be able to help you re-induct at a much lower dose and taper off from there.

In the meantime: LOTS of water. Start taking a good multivitamin and balanced B-100 Complex with L-Tyrosine to help with energy and fatigue. Get an OTC sleep aid like Melatonin. Take hot baths -- highly recommended for the inevitable aches and hot/cold sweats. Get some protein shakes like Ensure for when your appetite is down. Try to get out and about every day to get those endorphins going again. Use Ibuprofen. Imodium is gonna be a necessity. Look up the Thomas Recipe but steer clear of the benzo.

I wish you all the best. We'll be here to help and support you!
    Kat

I just feel like after 8 days is it worth going back on? And I was on the 2mg for little over a month. Probably 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Quit9 View Post
    I just feel like after 8 days is it worth going back on? And I was on the 2mg for little over a month. Probably 2 months.
    Oh, so you jumped from 2 mg, not 8 mg? Well, that's definitely better.

Whether or not you go back and taper is a personal choice of course. Some people can handle the drawn out WD symptoms; others can't. Totally up to you. If you can stick it out, then more power to you! I just wanted to suggest tapering because I've been on this forum a long time and I've seen people quit Sub cold turkey many times. It's not easy but it can be done.

Whatever you decide, we'll help you through.
    Kat

Ok so I looked at the box I was on 8mg/2mg whatever that means....for about a year maybe little less...than for past two months I've been doing 2mg/0.5mg. I'm not sure what the numbers fully mean tho...maybe I'm stupid.
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Ok so I looked at the box I was on 8mg/2mg whatever that means....for about a year maybe little less...than for past two months I've been doing 2mg/0.5mg. I'm not sure what the numbers fully mean tho...maybe I'm stupid.
    Nah. You're not stupid. Subs can be confusing. Was that your total daily dose? Originally 8/2 and then you were reduced to 2/.5 PER DAY? If that's true, no wonder you were dipping for a little extra and ended up running out early. Geez Louise. That's a huge, sudden reduction. Subs are strong and it's best tapered slowly in 25% increments every 4 days or so. Going from 8/day to 2 is a 75% reduction all at once! The good news (if you can call it that) is that you survived at a much lower dose than the 8 for 2 months. If you can, push through the 8 days you are forced to be without any and see how you feel. Kat said it--it won't be easy but others have done it and if you're determined you can too. If it is too rough, take Kat's advice and come back here and get some help re-inducting on a low dose and begin a proper taper. That will take you around 6 weeks to taper low enough to be able to jump much more comfortably than what you are experiencing now. Your choice.

Sub doctors most often don't get it right. There are folks here who have successfully tapered and jumped off subs using the method used on this Forum--Robert's Sub Taper Plan. I'm sorry I don't know how to give you the link but someone will come along and do that for you. Read it carefully and become familiar with it. Ask questions. The bright side is that being left without your subs had you searching for information and asking for advice. You landed here where you'll get tons of support and good, solid information from people who have used subs themselves.

Good luck. Hope you keep posting. Let us know how you're doing and what your plan of attack is going to be.

Peace,

Cat

The 8mg/2mg means 8 mg Buprenorphine (main ingredient - partial opioid agonist) and 2mg Nalaxone (opioid blocker). When you're taking that whole strip, you're on 8 mg. The 2mg/.5mg strips are the same ingredients, just lower doses of each.

So, you went from taking 8 mg right down to 2 mg for the last couple months?
    Kat

Yeah that's correct..

That was what the doctor told me to do....again going in I didn't know a whole lot about it, wish I did.

Thanks for all the information and positive feedback, my game plan is to not go back, I just feel like after the 8 days I will have made it so far with out you know...?
    Gilsmom likes this.

So just an update, today is day 3 no subs, with pretty much cold turkey. The last 3 days before I quit I was taking half of the 2mg/0.5mg strips.

Sleep still somewhat sucks I wake up and toss and turn a bunch, but the worst is the fatigue and chills. Still brutal. Also no appetite whatsoever. Been like two days since food. Took the day off from work today. Try and clear my head, gunna keep up with hot baths they feel fantastic and gunna try to eat and go for a walk.

Still determined to make this the end.

[deleted - swearing]
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-25-2016 at 02:12 PM.

I really feel for you, especially since you have a 3 yr old little girl to take care of while going through this. I have a 4 yr old son and can't imagine being in that condition.

I re-read your first post. If you only had 2 days before your refill, why did your doctor say you were 8 days early? Very strange. I wish I could say something that would make it all better. Sub WD is really rough.

Are you using any of the recommended supplements? Imodium? Hot baths?

You need to put something in your tummy. Pick up some of those protein/meal replacement shakes like Ensure. Those help a lot when you can't eat.

Kat
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-25-2016 at 02:12 PM.

Decadeofdirt is offline New Member

You can do this. I'm only a day or so ahead of you in the WD process. Listen to music 24/7 if possible preferably with headphones. It truly helps to calm the mind, put me at peace if you will. The WD process is what it is. We may be tired and fatigued, constantly stretching and yawning but that will pass as will anything else. Time heals and I feel the fog lifting every day. physical WD still a drag but it's encouraging to feel better mentally with every passing day. Think of this as boot camp for the rest of your life. You're almost home keep pushing because I know there is light at the end of the sub tunnel! I have WD'd twice in the past from subs but relapsed and I'll tell 100% third time is a charm I'm done done DONE. Im here fighting with you, don't give in !

I've had a few better moments today, went for a walk that felt a little nice but super tiring quick. Been drinking water, laying around all day, I know everyone says get up and move around but it's hard. Also was able to drink a smoothie and ate a little chicken soup. Hoping for actual sleep tonight maybe.
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

So this evening feel a little better...they come in waves. I'll get in a decent mood. If drank so much water today and done a decent amount of walking. Feels so good to move my legs with all the restlessness. Thanks everyone for encouragement.
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

I've felt real good this evening as well but it's getting late. And I feel the painfuk, restless legs starting in a bit. Very run down and tired - long day. then again every day off subs has been super super long!! I started taking Immodium (just recommended dosing on the box) and Potassium supplement ($5 well spent?) And so far it appears to be helping immensely, your mileage may vary. Plus I'm eating 3-4 bananas a day. It definitely is helping with the overall restlessness in my legs and arms. I also have clonidine, flexural, and melatonin you to help me sleep at night. Anything helps at this point but nothing more than the power of the mind and staying distracted from it. You have to get up off the couch/bed or you'll just sit there stretching and yawning all day, tear ducts flowing. Miserable! I know it's hard but even just going for a drive listening to music helps me. Keep up the good work we will all beat this insanity together up
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-25-2016 at 09:31 PM.

carloscipher is offline Junior Member

@Decadeofdirt

Hey. Congrats on starting this path and being determined. It sounds like Day 3/4 you are starting to improve. I've heard that Sub Detox/WD is a roller coaster but will smooth out after Day 7. I am only saying that so you can prepare, if need be, and not get disappointed if it starts to get a little worse.

Can you describe what you are taking (diet, other meds [OTC, Prescription]), if any? Supplements? For diet: it sounds like fruit smoothies? Anything else?

How much exercise? Do you keep yourself occupied with other things? What are they?

Keep at it. We all know you can do this. You have some days ahead of you where you can focus on improving. That is great!

I wish you the best. I really do. Path to sobriety and dropping this awful anchor is a gift we can only give ourselves. Keep posting and letting us know how it goes.

Cheers.

Yeah so yesterday was definitely a roller coaster but I think it was good, I drank a lot of water and was able to eat twice. Went on several walks, although not very far...buy at the end of the night I just couldn't sleep, so much restless. Barley slept at all. This morning I'm not feeling all that well either maybe it's because I tried to eat too much. I've already done some moving this morning. Push ups and a small walk, then went for a short drive. Just hoping I can sleep soon and stop this tiredness.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Hey Quit9
    Sleep can be challenging but don't let that deter you! Sleep and appetite will return in their own time. Hang in there! Keep flushing the system with water. I used gatorade and Boost/Ensure too.
    Tomorrow will be 8 months for me. I have no regrets. Best thing you can do for yourself and those u love!
    Stay determined. You'll never regret this choice!

For some reason today has been really hard. It's day 5. Mostly can't keep my mind off it, kinda depressing me a little like it will be months before I feel normal again....for some reason I thought this was like a 5 day battle but boy was I wrong......

Quote Originally Posted by carloscipher View Post
    @Decadeofdirt

Hey. Congrats on starting this path and being determined. It sounds like Day 3/4 you are starting to improve. I've heard that Sub Detox/WD is a roller coaster but will smooth out after Day 7. I am only saying that so you can prepare, if need be, and not get disappointed if it starts to get a little worse.

Can you describe what you are taking (diet, other meds [OTC, Prescription]), if any? Supplements? For diet: it sounds like fruit smoothies? Anything else?

How much exercise? Do you keep yourself occupied with other things? What are they?

Keep at it. We all know you can do this. You have some days ahead of you where you can focus on improving. That is great!

I wish you the best. I really do. Path to sobriety and dropping this awful anchor is a gift we can only give ourselves. Keep posting and letting us know how it goes.

Cheers.
    Thank you much for the encouragement, one of the hardest parts is doing it alone. I've cut ties with literally every friend I've had in the past 5-10 years. My girlfriend is basically done with me as well because I chose detox over her family vacation. How selfish is that? We'd have the rest of our lives for vacations, I need my life back!!! Truly unsure of how I've made it this far. I'm eating better and better every day but still relying on Ensure nutrition shakes, fruit, yogurt. I think the clonidine goes a long ways in fighting off the DAYTIME heebie jeebies, not so much night time restlessness though.

Quit9, do not get discouraged! I've come so close to just taking my sub and I am coming off 2+ mg a day, 8 years. I feel your pain. I know it's easier said than done but just don't think about it. I've been spending my days dreaming of what I will be doing in two months, when I'm sober and clean for the first time in my adult life. Depression has been setting in for me big time at this point, Ive been asking myself "why get off sub at all if I'll be depressed all the time" but so is the fight. You will wake up feeling just a tad better soon, and it's very empowering and motivating on those days. You absolutely cannot throw away your 5 days now! Youre already almost there - think about having to go through this again and possibly even longer WD if you were to stay on. Ugh.

One day at a time. Slow and steady wins the race!

Quote Originally Posted by Decadeofdirt View Post
    Thank you much for the encouragement, one of the hardest parts is doing it alone. I've cut ties with literally every friend I've had in the past 5-10 years. My girlfriend is basically done with me as well because I chose detox over her family vacation. How selfish is that? We'd have the rest of our lives for vacations, I need my life back!!! Truly unsure of how I've made it this far. I'm eating better and better every day but still relying on Ensure nutrition shakes, fruit, yogurt. I think the clonidine goes a long ways in fighting off the DAYTIME heebie jeebies, not so much night time restlessness though.

Quit9, do not get discouraged! I've come so close to just taking my sub and I am coming off 2+ mg a day, 8 years. I feel your pain. I know it's easier said than done but just don't think about it. I've been spending my days dreaming of what I will be doing in two months, when I'm sober and clean for the first time in my adult life. Depression has been setting in for me big time at this point, Ive been asking myself "why get off sub at all if I'll be depressed all the time" but so is the fight. You will wake up feeling just a tad better soon, and it's very empowering and motivating on those days. You absolutely cannot throw away your 5 days now! Youre already almost there - think about having to go through this again and possibly even longer WD if you were to stay on. Ugh.

One day at a time. Slow and steady wins the race!

Yeah no joke. Thanks for the motivation, today started rough but got a little better did some moving around and sweating, but i hate being so cold everywhere....Im hoping i can get SOME sleep tonight for once...lol heres oping. Staying positive though!

So today is day 7. Sleep is still really hard and so is the restlessness, fatigue, and always feeling cold. But every day ive had a few more good moments and positive days it's a rollercoaster for sure. Anyone who has gone through this how long did it take to lose some of these symptoms?? The only symptom I think I don't have is the stomach, I'm getting an appetite back.

So today is day 7. Sleep is still really hard and so is the restlessness, fatigue, and always feeling cold. But every day ive had a few more good moments and positive days it's a rollercoaster for sure. Anyone who has gone through this how long did it take to lose some of these symptoms?? The only symptom I think I don't have is the stomach, I'm getting an appetite back.
    Hey there. Every day will get a little better. Sub WD symptoms tend to linger for a bit. Are you taking anything for sleep like Melatonin, Valerian, or an rx med? As I mentioned before, taking a balanced B-100 Conplex and L-Tyrosine will definitely help with the fatigue. Take them every day for maximum benefit. I've been taking a liquid B Complex which works really well. Glad to hear your appetite is coming back.

It's really difficult to say how long you'll experience these symptoms since we're all different. A lot of those symptoms started to subside after 3 weeks when I first tapered off Sub.

Try not to fixate on how you feel. If you can accept that this is how it's gonna be for a little while, it will help you immensely.

Kat

Yeah definitely...so it seems like last two days my day starts off kinda rough...maybe because I lay around??? But then once I move a bunch and get out of house I'm good. Tonight has been great I've totally felt like I've turned a page. I started taking potassium today...I read it would help with RLS...idk if anyone can vouche for that but also been trying the melatonin for sleep. Hopefully it does well tonight. Tomorrow I go back to work so hoping to get some sleep. Day 7 in the books and its starting to actually seem like I'm close....
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

Yeah definitely...so it seems like last two days my day starts off kinda rough...maybe because I lay around??? But then once I move a bunch and get out of house I'm good. Tonight has been great I've totally felt like I've turned a page. I started taking potassium today...I read it would help with RLS...idk if anyone can vouche for that but also been trying the melatonin for sleep. Hopefully it does well tonight. Tomorrow I go back to work so hoping to get some sleep. Day 7 in the books and its starting to actually seem like I'm close....
    Yes, Potassium helps with RLS. But the tablets have very little potassium per pill. I would definitely add Hyland's Restful Legs. Many of us have used it with great results.

Have a good day!
    Kat

I second the Hyland's Restful Legs it works pretty well. It does t stop my RLS entirely but makes it a bit not manageable! Day 8 here. So fatigued constantly and ridiculous Insomnia are the main symptoms at this point. When does the feeling of weighing 700 lbs subside?!

So last night I took, two Advil PM's a melatonin tablet and I haven't smoked in YEARS since I was in high school lol and I'm 28 now so...anyway marijuana really

Idk what happened to rest of post but the Advil PM helped a lot. I was able to get a little more sleep than I have but the fatigue is still a real problem. Worst part.

So the B-100 complex and L-Tyrosine are two different vitamins right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast